$1700 investment already borked after 1 day? eyefinity fails

flegg

[H]ard|Gawd
So I was running arkham city last night fine on my xfx 7970.

1080p eyefinity landscape @ 120hz.
2 BenQ XL2420T by mini-DP to DP and 1 Samsung S23A700 by dual-link DVI.

I leave my computer on over-night and I wake up and the left BenQ screen looks borked, and the eyefinity group appears to be only running in 2x1 mode across the two right screens. So I restart and now whenever I try to make an eyefinity group it just does 1920x1080 and duplicates the displays instead of making one 5760x1080 desktop.

Okay so it appears that that monitor that went crazy overnight may be the source of the problem or something because I can still create a 3840x1080 desktop over the other two monitors. Or I guess it could be the port or the wire, though it works fine as an individual monitor.

This just popped up:

DisplayPort Link Failure

The system has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution and refresh rate on your DisplayPort display. Your display might not support the requested resolution or there may be an issue with the cable connecting the display to your computer.

...Okay so hopefully it's the monoprice wire.... I'll switch the two mini-dp to dp wires and see if it causes it issue on the other monitor...

Last edited:
This just popped up:

DisplayPort Link Failure

The system has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution and refresh rate on your DisplayPort display. Your display might not support the requested resolution or there may be an issue with the cable connecting the display to your computer.

...Okay so hopefully it's the monoprice wire.... I'll switch the two mini-dp to dp wires and see if it causes it issue on the other monitor...
Either the cable is bad, or your particular monitor can't sync with AMD's DisplayPort implementation properly.

Hope it's the first one >_>

AMD created the display port spec so it's impossible for the card to be the source of the problem. Monitor manufacturers on the other hand are known for being cheap cutting corners and fixing prices for years. If I were to point any fingers I'd start there.

AMD created the display port spec so it's impossible for the card to be the source of the problem.
Definitely not impossible... AMD has had issues with DisplayPort before.

The launch BIOS for the HD 5850 and HD 5870 had the DisplayPort voltage set at the incorrect level, causing the connection to lose sync at random with many displays. They released a BIOS update that was supposed to resolve the problem, but some people still had to RMA their cards to fix the sync issues.

This just popped up:

DisplayPort Link Failure

I get this very same error from time to time.

I had a monoprice DP to mini-DP cable as well. I switched to a more higher spec cable (1.2) and the issue is still present.

First, welcome to AMD crossfire eyefinity hell. Second, welcome to Samsung monitor hell.

Long story short, sell one of your 7970s, re-install your drivers and run everything off one card. Crossfire & AMD drivers will always randomly bork you with the eyefinity loss of sync mess. I had similar problems before I sold my second card and learned to live with less eye candy on my eyefinity setup.

Also, your samsung monitor has a defect, but don't worry all of those samsung monitors have the defect. When it gives you that error code just cycle its input button between hdmi & displayport.

First, welcome to AMD crossfire eyefinity hell. Second, welcome to Samsung monitor hell.

Long story short, sell one of your 7970s, re-install your drivers and run everything off one card. Crossfire & AMD drivers will always randomly bork you with the eyefinity loss of sync mess. I had similar problems before I sold my second card and learned to live with less eye candy on my eyefinity setup.

Also, your samsung monitor has a defect, but don't worry all of those samsung monitors have the defect. When it gives you that error code just cycle its input button between hdmi & displayport.

Um I'm in an entirely different hell. I'm only running 1 card. And it's a benq that I am having a problem with not the Samsung (other than samsung being an inferior monitor). Been too busy to troubleshoot because of TERA launch but I'll get back to it in a couple days.

Last edited:
haven't had any experience with the 7 series but I have gotten stuff very similar to this before on many other products and the problem has always been the cable.

I mainly have monoprice cables, while they are super cheap, and decent build quality they surely aren't perfect. Can't complain for the price but 90% of the time I feel comfortable that changing the cable will fix the problem.

haven't had any experience with the 7 series but I have gotten stuff very similar to this before on many other products and the problem has always been the cable.

I mainly have monoprice cables, while they are super cheap, and decent build quality they surely aren't perfect. Can't complain for the price but 90% of the time I feel comfortable that changing the cable will fix the problem.

The cable is definitely being finicky because I switched it and now I can't do 120hz on the monitor I switched it to. Hopefully switching out the cable will fix the problem.

Where's a good place to buy 1.2 mini DP to DP?

Amazon.

I shop at a few locations but almost always find myself going back to Amazon.

I get this very same error from time to time.

I had a monoprice DP to mini-DP cable as well. I switched to a more higher spec cable (1.2) and the issue is still present.

Got this same error time and time again with a single card 5870 setup and an Accell active DP->DL-DVI adapter. For me it happened only when Eyefinity was active and the screen blanked out (UAC pop up, game loading, etc). Happened 80% of the time I was starting a game up. Sorry to see this is still a problem two generations later.

Can you try a game that is able to alter its resolution AFTER the executable is running? Launch in single display mode, change profile to Eyefinity, and then change the game resolution? Not sure if it'll help you but it can't hurt to try.

AMD created the display port spec so it's impossible for the card to be the source of the problem. Monitor manufacturers on the other hand are known for being cheap cutting corners and fixing prices for years. If I were to point any fingers I'd start there.

I lol'd. DisplayPort is a VESA spec. http://www.displayport.org/
AMD certainly is pushing the hell out of it though which is a good thing.

If only MST hubs would make their appearance, we'd be in a much better place.
GPU makers still can't seem to give us the magical 3x DP on ref designs.

The real joke is he's not trying to be funny.

Back