1700 always at 3.6Ghz....no throttling? ASRock X370 Killer

westrock2000

[H]F Junkie
I am using the ASRock X370 Killer/SLI AC board. I didn't see a multiplier setting, just a place to type in the frequency directly. So I typed in 3600Mhz, and the system is fine. But when I run CPU-Z, it's always at 3.6Ghz. It never throttles down even when idle. Is this normal, or was there a setting I'm missing?

You are overclocked and using performance profile, right? If you set the speed it will run at the speed.

If you use the performance plan in Windows do into Control Panel and in power settings select change plan settings then select change advanced power settings. In the menu select processor power management and set minimum processor state to 20%. This should allow for idle clocks.

If you're not using a custom P-state for your overclock, then whatever you entered in on the OCTweaker screen is what you'll get. The custom P-states are buried on the advanced tab, though I cannot remember the exact menu titles. Something like "Zen-specific settings" or somesuch. Of course, I'm assuming the Killer is arranged similar to the Taichi.
Also, if you do use a custom P-state, you can't change the voltage (VID) setting for state 0 (highest performance), instead you'll have to enter your desired value as Vcore on the OCTweaker tab. For example, with my 1700X I have the custom P-state set to 3900 MHz, with Vcore in offset mode at +0.05V, giving a result of 1.4V. You may want to look at the Pstate overclocking guide a few threads down for more details about it.

Search,

there is a nice writeup in these forums on P-state overclocking, what to set, how to calculate etc....

Using AMD Ryzen Master software and using Windows 10 Balanced Power mode now allows the CPU to throttle down to 1550Mhz at idle, but jump up to 3600Mhz when stressed.

I disabled any OC stuff in the BIOS.

Oh, BTW, that P State stuff for the ASRock Killer SLI/ac was hidden under Common Zen Options or something, not under the OC Tweaker section.

Yeah I pstate OC and my gpes 3.9 down to 1.9 at the lowest. Rock ass stable too!

Back