17" with 1920x1200 display, battery life?

The Real Zardoz

Weaksauce
Hi,

Looking at the MBP spec'd with the 1920x1200 display... few questions...

Firstly, how is the screen? Blacklight, viewing angle, colour representation? I do a lot of photography so this is very important.

Secondly, how well does the battery life fare with the screen brightness down to a lowish setting when browsing the web?

thanks!

My MBP is a bit older and I don't do much photo work, but I do some and I took the high res option. I also do a fair amount of web and animation work and I rather like the screen. It is a laptop so don't expect the world here, but as far as laptop screens go I would rate it as one of the best I have seen; in terms of light and color (after it has been on a bit, I don't have an LED model). For viewing... well you on your own there... This is [H] after all ;) I think it is fine, but you have people here who complain about stupid viewing angles that I cannot imagine a person ever sitting at so YMMV.

As far as the battery life goes, I haven't run tests or anything, but on my long days of class it makes it through 4 hours with off-and-on wireless easily. It has yet to die on me.

Unfortunately I'm a bit tainted by the Dell (I think it's still in my sig) I still use. Six years later and it's still a great system with its 15" 1600x1200 panel with <14ms response.. in its day, it beat the pants off most desktop displays out on the market!

Sure, it cost me a packet but I expected the world from this system and I definitely got the world from it. The viewable angles are a bit of a concern because it's a widescreen and large - and even when sitting in front of it,the difference between the top and the bottom of the screen can be obvious since you're going to be, quite possibly, a good 30 degrees off-centre.

I don't care about OTHER people looking at my laptop at extrreme angles, they can go jump for all I care :)

Hi,

Looking at the MBP spec'd with the 1920x1200 display... few questions...

Firstly, how is the screen? Blacklight, viewing angle, colour representation? I do a lot of photography so this is very important.

Secondly, how well does the battery life fare with the screen brightness down to a lowish setting when browsing the web?

thanks!

Lemme put it this way. It's going to be the nicest screen you will be able to get on an Apple laptop. Obviously, the 24" iMac is going to have a much nicer screen, but it's not exactly a laptop. I say go for it, since it's not like there are many options, really.

Unfortunately I'm a bit tainted by the Dell (I think it's still in my sig) I still use. Six years later and it's still a great system with its 15" 1600x1200 panel with <14ms response.. in its day, it beat the pants off most desktop displays out on the market!

Sure, it cost me a packet but I expected the world from this system and I definitely got the world from it. The viewable angles are a bit of a concern because it's a widescreen and large - and even when sitting in front of it,the difference between the top and the bottom of the screen can be obvious since you're going to be, quite possibly, a good 30 degrees off-centre.

I don't care about OTHER people looking at my laptop at extrreme angles, they can go jump for all I care :)

Might want to check your sig as there's nothing there... ;) At least I don't see anything in the sig area in your post.

Back