17 Million Netflix Subscribers To See Price Increase Next Month

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I think that Netflix is still a great deal even at $9.99. What would actually piss me off is if they start introducing commercials, which some say is inevitable.

In May 2014, Netflix began to raise the price of its standard streaming plan for new subscribers, first to $8.99 a month, then to $9.99 a month last October. Existing subscribers, however, were grandfathered in at $7.99 a month for the two-stream, "HD" quality plan. But those days will soon be over. Next month, these grandfathered customers will begin to be moved up to $9.99 for the standard plan. Analysts at UBS have estimated that this change will end up affecting about 37% of US subscribers, or 17 million people.

lol, eventually it might get bloated with expensive deals like ESPN and start charging customers too much for content relatively few actually want.

I wish there were a Netflix with the usual content, and a Netflix Plus with crap like streaming on day of release indie movies which cause some of the price hike.

$10 is still a good price for Netflix. I wish their movie streaming library was a lot better, but I never have trouble finding something to watch when I want to. I would not be at all surprised if Netflix introduced commercials in the next couple years. Their foray into making more of their own shows and movies is going to quickly get more expensive. They're already looking at spending $40 to $50 million on acquiring the Death Note movie. If that ends up being successful for them you can bet they'll start spending more and more money on picking up movies.

Here's one thing I can't figure out... If I move up to the Ultra HD plan, will I get better 1080P streams?

Netflix is really worth the money they are asking for, in North America... The rest of the world sucks now that they have shut down DNS geoblocking. The selection in most other countries is just bad. It's almost not worth it, and one more price rise, or them showing adverts will be the end of Netflix in my house.

It's a good deal if there is something to watch, but during a lull, it can sit idle for a month or so.

Honestly, I was thinking of getting rid of Netflix anyway... I barely use it, they removed a television series while I was in the middle of watching it (forcing me to buy the remaining seasons), and this price hike isn't helping the case for keeping it.

It's not that I can't afford $10 a month, but the increase is definitely making me reassess. I might end up keeping it, but this gives me something to think about... $10 a month is almost enough for a more practical or useful service. It's almost as much as Prime now.

Honestly, I was thinking of getting rid of Netflix anyway... I barely use it, they removed a television series while I was in the middle of watching it (forcing me to buy the remaining seasons), and this price hike isn't helping the case for keeping it.

It's not that I can't afford $10 a month, but the increase is definitely making me reassess. I might end up keeping it, but this gives me something to think about... $10 a month is almost enough for a more practical or useful service. It's almost as much as Prime now.

If I was single, I would have dumped it a while ago. But my kids and wife find things to watch.

If I was single, I would have dumped it a while ago. But my kids and wife find things to watch.

Honestly, the two main reasons I keep it are because my Mom watches it, and also because streaming Netflix on the old Wii is cheaper than renting another set-top box for my room. But at $10 a month, we're only $2 under the cost of another set-top box.

Netflix is really worth the money they are asking for, in North America... The rest of the world sucks now that they have shut down DNS geoblocking. The selection in most other countries is just bad. It's almost not worth it, and one more price rise, or them showing adverts will be the end of Netflix in my house.

Yeah, I'm consuming content faster then they release it and it wont be long until I run out, there is a ton I would watch if only they would offer it here in Belgium, might drop the sub for 8-10 months, then I hope they have added enough then for me to get back for a couple months again.

Worth it for me, the wife and kids love it. I can't find the time for more than 5-7 hours a week for alone time entertainment which I have to split between either Netflix, YouTube or video games so it makes no difference to me. At least Netflix is far cheaper than the ripoff Sat/Cable industries and let me cut the cord years ago. Went from paying $90/month for 4 channels I wanted to $8/month for Netflix and downloading tv shows so I've saved myself at least $1000 so far lol.

lol, eventually it might get bloated with expensive deals like ESPN and start charging customers too much for content relatively few actually want.

I wish there were a Netflix with the usual content, and a Netflix Plus with crap like streaming on day of release indie movies which cause some of the price hike.

given people have switched to netflix because of that crap and they know it, i have a feeling they aren't stupid enough to move to something like that. the issue they have is that they've gotten to the point where there's no way to show "growth" to their share holders because the people that aren't already netflix customers in the US probably won't ever be netflix customers. so the only way to do that is to increase prices.

sadly it's completely out of netflix's hands when it comes to what content they can show overseas which is total BS from the movie/tv industry.

I would bet in the board rooms of Netflix they are working on how to introduce ads.

Honestly, the two main reasons I keep it are because my Mom watches it, and also because streaming Netflix on the old Wii is cheaper than renting another set-top box for my room. But at $10 a month, we're only $2 under the cost of another set-top box.

Higher prices, less selection. Glad I dropped it years ago.

As for Cable boxes, I have none, just a cable card ($2/month) in the tuner card of my HTPC.
Used to have a couple old TV's connected vie analog, but now cable scrambles everything. We rarely used them anyways, so instead of renting cable boxes, we are getting rid of the old TV's. The HTPC has 4 tuners, so we can record up to 4 shows at once, which is plenty.
We usually only watch stuff we already recorded (so we can skip the commercials),and I can watch from any computer in the house, or even on my tablet.
If it was just me I'd drop the cable TV, but I've have too many complaints from the family.

$20 more than Prime? Since I already have Prime for shipping alone, it may be time to part ways with Netflix, unless I fall hopelessly in love with some of their original content. I like a couple of shows, (Kimmy Schmidt, Narcos) but not enough to keep it for those alone, with all the overlap in libraries. And commercials would be an instant deal breaker.

Still a bargain for me since I share my account with my mom and wife (who is in Thailand). I think the price increase will help them maintain and increase the selection.

For the last 2 years I've been picking up a subscription during the winter and letting it expire around April. No need for Netflix if the sun is out shining.

Im one of the ones being effected... I Couldnt care less about the 2 dollar a month price hike. I honestly thought it was 10 a month already until a few weeks ago when I put in my gift code for a year of free netflix & saw the notice I was being changed.

Im one of the ones being effected... I Couldnt care less about the 2 dollar a month price hike. I honestly thought it was 10 a month already until a few weeks ago when I put in my gift code for a year of free netflix & saw the notice I was being changed.

You aren't being effected. You're being affected. LOL

Back on topic... I seriously hope they don't resort to commercials. There's a reason I don't watch live TV unless I'm forced to. Commercials suck (well, 99% of them do, anyway).

But even if it goes up a couple bucks a month, where else is the Mrs going to get her fix for endless stupid horror movies? The video stores are all gone and Redbox only has like 25-30 movie selections. Don't say Prime, because the movie selection on Prime is terrible.

i'm going to just pirate their shows if they introduce commercials. F that.

i actually feel bad.

i pay 8 dollars CAD a month.

currently 8 dollars CAD is 6.20.

lol.

finally our shit dollar is paying off.

If ads of any kind are put on netflix I will drop them instantly.

Even Hulu , which stiarted with ads (including ads on the paid version) made an ad-free version for people (That cost a little more).

I despise having to watch commercials , about as much as I hate watching tv channels that have constant graphic ads DURING the freaking shows, it used to be a simple watermark of the tv station but now you have stats with giant graphics that fly across the bottom of the screen during the actual show.

If ads had it their way you'd be watching commercials and the tv show would be the one that "interrupted" them.

Back