16TB Seagate External HDD $289.99

Wonder what drives are inside? Be cool if they were iron wolf drives.

Wonder what drives are inside? Be cool if they were iron wolf drives.
One of the review on newegg said this: "Been transfering movies from a 8tb drive to this 16tb drive at a rate of 169MB/s. 7200rpm crystaldisk info says it's the green exos drive."

The exos is the enterprise series of drives and it normally runs at 7200 rpm. That being said, the warranty on this is 1yr versus the exos normal 5 year warranty, so these are probably refurbed or older generation exos drives or somehow compromised versions of the exos as they can easily detune these and make them a ironwolf or ironwolf pro with a 3/5yr warranty, respectively. And fwiw, I've bought genuine 16TB exos drives at this price, so while these are great on the price per tb ($18.75/TB), the value isn't the absolute best in terms of what you're getting, similar to the easystores (I've bought HGST/WD real enterprise drives at the easystore prices before too).

One of the review on newegg said this: "Been transfering movies from a 8tb drive to this 16tb drive at a rate of 169MB/s. 7200rpm crystaldisk info says it's the green exos drive."

The exos is the enterprise series of drives and it normally runs at 7200 rpm. That being said, the warranty on this is 1yr versus the exos normal 5 year warranty, so these are probably refurbed or older generation exos drives or somehow compromised versions of the exos as they can easily detune these and make them a ironwolf or ironwolf pro with a 3/5yr warranty, respectively. And fwiw, I've bought genuine 16TB exos drives at this price, so while these are great on the price per tb ($18.75/TB), the value isn't the absolute best in terms of what you're getting, similar to the easystores (I've bought HGST/WD real enterprise drives at the easystore prices before too).
yeah i picked up some easystore, but I am in the market for some new drives for a new synology 1819+ i just picked up.

not sure yet, looking for large fast NAS drives. to fill the bays with as little cash as possible. :)

Fyi I have one of these 16tb drives and they are fast but a little noisier than the 8tb wd reds it replaced.

Fyi I have one of these 16tb drives and they are fast but a little noisier than the 8tb wd reds it replaced.
The good enterprise class drives will always be noisier ime. My guess is they're built to last versus built to be quiet. I'll pick built to last any day if I have to choose. (y)

Back