16gb or 32gb for a new gaming system (zen3 4070x/x570 mobo) + 3080GPU?

amd7674

[H]ard|Gawd
Thinking of buying either 2x8gb or 2x16gb Gskill Ripjaws V 3200 CL14 (b-die). I use this ram on my current 8700k build.

Please advise

Unless you're running a game that specifically calls for more (e.g., FS2020), and/or you're using the system for other applications that eat RAM (e.g. image/video processing, some dev work), 16 GB is plenty.

The upcoming consoles are 16 GB systems. I'd expect most new games will be targeting that.

Worst case, you can buy 16 GB now and add another 16 later (assuming four DIMM slots).

Unless you're running a game that specifically calls for more (e.g., FS2020)
I found that with a 16GB GPU the game can use over 12GB VRAM and only ~10-12GB RAM at 3440x1440 ultra which with what the system uses can put it close to needing more than 16GB unless you keep your OS tidy.
However when it used 12GB RAM it only used ~10G VRAM and when it used 12G VRAM it only used ~10G RAM which makes me wonder if it could load a bit more into the VRAM if there was a little less RAM.

I had 2x8GB 3200c14 Ripjaws V and purchased another 2x8GB 3200c14 Flare X.
Since I have a T topology MB it didnt affect my OC but it will likely limit your max clock speed so for most current games you may end up with a little less CPU performance with 32GB although there may be a small benefit from the extra ranks which could offset the lower clock speed.

Last edited:
How long will you be using the PC? If that's a long-term 5+ year build, then just get 32 GB RAM.

It also depends how geeky you are. Do you ever use RAM disks or plan to mess around with experimental stuff like RAM based virtual machines or something?
If your computer is strictly for gaming and work, then just buy what you need.

If you're an enthusiast and want to have some fun, why not buy a bit more?

It also is true what others are saying. You can always just buy more later.
But that goes in either direction. Buy 16 GB now and 16 GB later and now you finally have 32 GB RAM.

Buy 32 GB now and 32 GB later and... well, that's 64 GB total and now you can't possibly feel like you don't have enough RAM.
Plus you start with a 32 GB from the beginning, letting you start benefiting from the additional amount right away.

Trying to figure this out for a similar build. Mostly light gaming and basic office apps. Some video editing. Going with an Asus X570 mobo. Limited in memory choices due to vendor. Could do either:

Corsair ddr4-3200 C16 8 x 4 (32 gb total)
Corsair ddr4-3000 C15 16 x 4 (64 gb total)
Corsair ddr4-3000 C15 8 x 4 (32 gb total)

What do you guys think will work well with Ryzen 4?

Thanks Guys for all your replies. Since I'm planning to keep this new build for 5 years, I will go 32gb to be on the safe side.

Thanks Guys for all your replies. Since I'm planning to keep this new build for 5 years, I will go 32gb to be on the safe side.

Good choice. This is a decision to make now versus later as the system will work better if you use 2 slots versus all 4.

Corsair ddr4-3200 C16 8 x 4 (32 gb total)
Corsair ddr4-3000 C15 16 x 4 (64 gb total)
Corsair ddr4-3000 C15 8 x 4 (32 gb total)

What do you guys think will work well with Ryzen 4?
All of the above should be fine but check the model vs the MB QVL as I have seen a number of complaints about Corsair compatibility lately.

People are usually not ahead of the curve with memory, and always are usually at the state of needing to upgrade. This is unless you are knowing of workstations, servers, and other mem requirements. In other words I was 16GB when "everyone" was advising 8GB was enough many years ago. Because back in the day rule-of-thumb was buy as much as you can afford. Also, to note, the OS will always have a reservation of memory which will be around 3-4GB (a familiar thing if you quote consoles which have a ceiling due to costs). Subtract that from base install, and now you see why 32GB is a sweeter spot for mem management. Many started to notice the constraints of 8GB in the fist decade of the 2000's as time progressed, and then the procuring of memory become complicated for them due mainly to compatibility (q.v. mixing chips). With the 940 I was 18GB (triple channel), 3770 I was 16GB, 6700 I was also 16GB, but with 9900 I went to 32GB.

I can say that without-a-doubt that 32GB is the sweet spot as of now for typical desktop, and it is utilized quite well with modern, non-modern games, and especially software that more and more end users are starting to use. There are differences in the usage and caching at a system level, and then also at the memalloc level of the software. With the cost being around *perfect*, you have to ask why not get 32GB? Shit, system requirements for 2077 alone are 16GB-that is "requirement" not "optimal" recommendation.

Note, I am talking memory ceiling and the room within for the system for caching and usage. I am not saying that it will make anything faster. This is utilization alone.

You can even see with this video that having more memory is/will be utilized. I've noticed when looking at the difference in usage with games when I had 16GB and then latter 32GB, that there was usually around 2-3GB increase allocated to the game when I had 32GB. For example, Division 2 went from 9GB total system usage with 16 installed. This was increased to 12GB total system usage with 32 installed. Div2 application allocation was a 4GB range with 16 to 6GB range with 32 installed. If you noticed the video with RTX Ultra enabled with BF5 @55 seconds the memory usage increased almost 1GB with 16 installed, and almost 2GB with 32 installed. This is just graphics options. The true key to me is caching and room. 16GB is sufficient and at least the base of the now. 32GB is and will be a sweet spot for a while.

Here is one article: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...n-order-before-altering-the-terms-of-the-deal
How about this "ideal" spec for Microsoft's Flight Sim 2020: https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-system-requirements/
How about Galatic Civilization 3 lage map requirement (a 2006 game): https://forums.littletinyfrogs.com/487528/galactic-civilizations-iii-map-sizes-and-memory
Mods for a game can increase the mem load a lot too

So, um, yeah......32GB

Ahh the first PC I bought with my own money had 32MB! Come a long way since 1997.

Back