16c opteron vs dual 12c broadwell Xeon for Swiss army server?

pillagenburn

[H]ard|Gawd
edit: forgot to put in title, this is quad opteron 16c (i.e. 6276) vs dual 12c broadwell low power

Hey guys, looking at switching up my quad opteron 6172 setup for something else. I am looking for power savings but not at the expense of killing performance.

Im using this thing as a dvr, gateway, pbx, media server/organizer and that sorta thing. This thing stays at around 50% cpu utilization or greater.

Im looking at either dual 12c broadwell xeon (bigger initial cost but way less energy) or upgrading to quad 6276 opterons (more energy less initial cost).

My questions:

Would dual 12c broadwell be a lot slower for the kinds of things im doing vs quad 16c opteron? Or in the ballpark even?

And would the energy savings be sufficient enough at .09/kwh to even matter? Though I would like to power this thing in emergency situations...

Last edited:
my esxi/media server is still a dual Opteron 2425HE on H8DME-2 24 bay Supermicro server. that I bought awhile ago on a deal here. The rig in my sig is a quite a bit faster at encoding I don't remember exactly by how much.

I was looking at upgrading the esxi/media server to a dual xeon 2670v1s system when there was a deal on those but could not find a 24 bay or even 12 bay case/board for a good price at the time.

I think dual broadwell 12c would be way overkill for a media server. If your only at 50% cpu on average keep what you have for a bit longer.

I use it as a blue iris dvr also, im just curious about horsepower vs energy savings quad opty 16c vs dual broadwell 12c.

my esxi/media server is still a dual Opteron 2425HE on H8DME-2 24 bay Supermicro server. that I bought awhile ago on a deal here. The rig in my sig is a quite a bit faster at encoding I don't remember exactly by how much.

I was looking at upgrading the esxi/media server to a dual xeon 2670v1s system when there was a deal on those but could not find a 24 bay or even 12 bay case/board for a good price at the time.

I think dual broadwell 12c would be way overkill for a media server. If your only at 50% cpu on average keep what you have for a bit longer.

Last edited:
Xeon will eat the Opteron's, spit them out and then eat them again, Opteron jut can not hold a flame next to Intel every since thew 246 series i think

A single 6 core Xeon will best the 16 core Opteron. You don't even need two. Interlagos based Opterons are 5 years old and even at release were behind Intel. 24 Intel cores is far ahead of 64 AMD ones.

A single 6-core broadwell will beat out a 16-core Opteron 6200 series?

A single 6 core Xeon will best the 16 core Opteron. You don't even need two. Interlagos based Opterons are 5 years old and even at release were behind Intel. 24 Intel cores is far ahead of 64 AMD ones.

A single 6-core broadwell will beat out a 16-core Opteron 6200 series?
Yep. Even some V1 quad cores have a higher Passmark score. Same goes for top end 1366 CPUs, which are even older. AMD just cannot compete and pretty much gave up, not having released a new high end Opteron architecture since 2012.

IF you want many cores (not clear why for a media server) go for a dual 1366 mobo (of course not SR-2, but maybe you find a great deal on this) with 2 Westemere s 6c12T as highly clocked as budget allow and youre done probably in 300-500$ range budget

Yep. Even some V1 quad cores have a higher Passmark score. Same goes for top end 1366 CPUs, which are even older. AMD just cannot compete and pretty much gave up, not having released a new high end Opteron architecture since 2012.
Not quite sure about that. My 64c Opty system is (ever so slightly) faster than my 32c/64t Haswell-EP system. Admittedly at over twice the power consumption, but it still has the performance there.

Yea, so I actually have a dual quad core 1366 board/cpu sitting on a shelf, collecting dust, with 24GB ddr3 and what im doing with my current server pegged that thing 100%.

I actually picked up that dual 1366 setup for around $150 including RAM.

The DVR bit of what I do is recording 8+ 2.0MP network streams via Blue Iris plus motion detection/analytics etc.

I am also running my router, media server and do lots of decomression on this thing

What 16c opterons are you running?

Not quite sure about that. My 64c Opty system is (ever so slightly) faster than my 32c/64t Haswell-EP system. Admittedly at over twice the power consumption, but it still has the performance there.

What 16c opterons are you running?
6376. I know they're faster than the 62xx gen but not substantially.

EDIT: & by "slightly faster" I mean for stuff that multithreads extremely well. Single-threaded performance the Intels will be faster hands down.

6376. I know they're faster than the 62xx gen but not substantially.

EDIT: & by "slightly faster" I mean for stuff that multithreads extremely well. Single-threaded performance the Intels will be faster hands down.

So this actually answers my question - you can get similar performance with half (or less) power consumption.

I'm planning on getting a surplus board, RAM etc.

Question though: What do the v4 Xeons require as far as boards are concerned? Are some older gen boards incompatible with newer gen v4 2011 cpu's ? I realize incompatibility between ddr3 and ddr4 etc. but mostly wondering CPU wise.

E5 V1/V2 CPUs have a different socket from V3/V4, so there's no incompatibility when it comes to RAM. 2011-3 boards will generally just need a UEFI update.

So this actually answers my question - you can get similar performance with half (or less) power consumption.

I'm planning on getting a surplus board, RAM etc.

Question though: What do the v4 Xeons require as far as boards are concerned? Are some older gen boards incompatible with newer gen v4 2011 cpu's ? I realize incompatibility between ddr3 and ddr4 etc. but mostly wondering CPU wise.
Correct. The 4P Opty system runs about 790W full load (slightly overclocked, 8 sticks of RAM and 2 SSDs) whereas the dual E5-4667V3 runs somewhere in the 340W range (2 sticks of RAM, 1 spinning rust drive). 80+ Silver PSUs on both.

You will need to get one of the LGA2011-3 boards as Fox said...the older LGA2011 for the V1/V2 CPUs won't work.

Back