160GB Hitachi SATA 39.99 AR

Droban

Limp Gawd
That is a good deal, these drives are awesome. I have a 160 sata right now and I would pick one up, but theres no stores down here at school... but i might be visiting home anyways this weekend so then I can set up a raid!

Tiny

Supreme [H]ardness
sweet deal.

Thanks for the heads up!

I was in the market for a new one. I will check after work tomorrow to see if they have some near me.

Tiny

Supreme [H]ardness
Picked up the last one at the Bloomington store after work today.

:D

lozaning

2[H]4U
ran out of room on the storage partition last night. this looks to be the ebst buy around

Malogato

Gawd
AAARGH!!!!

Closest compusa to me is ~40 miles away. What's the compusa/hitachi warranty on these? It's not a sweet deal for ME if it's one year.. (btw, many drives sold in retail channels have shorter warranties, such as maxtors sold at staples being 1 year)

Tiny

Supreme [H]ardness
Box says 3year on mine.

*added to my ignore list.

typh00n

Limp Gawd
Hmm, I've been waiting for a deal on SATA, but I've heard the reliability on this brand is poor. Is that still true?

Tiny

Supreme [H]ardness
No. Just check out the Storage section of the forums.

*edit*

From Doug-Lite's Sticky on buying harddrives:
All-Around, <200GB: Hitachi Deskstar 7K250, 7K PATA/SATA 40/80/120/160/250GB: T7K250, 7K PATA/SATA 160/250GB
Pros: Quiet, fast, reliable (3 year warranty on 8MB buffer models), good price. These are the drives to buy for a budget of less than $100. The recently released T7K250 drives are SATA-II & NCQ ready
Cons: There's a drive that does each of 7K250's pros better. Samsung is quieter, Seagate has better warranty, WD Raptor is faster, etc. But no one drive brings a balance of all the factors like Hitachi 7K250, which is why it is my all-around pick. Also, Hitachi does NOT offer advance warranty replacement - a concern for users with only one hard drive, as if your drive does require warranty service, that system will be out of action for at least a week.

The 7K250 is what these are.

Qtip42

[H]is Modness
Malogato said:
Wow, I'm so hurt...

Dont feel bad (ya I know it was sarcasm), Tiny blocks anyone who doesn't agree with him. I'm sure his blocklist has 99.9% of posts blocked on here.

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
Qtip42 said:
Dont feel bad (ya I know it was sarcasm), Tiny blocks anyone who doesn't agree with him. I'm sure his blocklist has 99.9% of posts blocked on here.

I'd have to agree with you Q, it's a very immature move. Normal people listen to all opnions wether they agree or not.

As for the deal, I refuse to buy from CompUsa, lousy return policy.

Malogato

Gawd
Qtip42 said:

His IQ must be just high enough to use the ignore function, but not so high as to understand that I wasn't even disagreeing.

Somewhere in that 40-60 range.

chitzu

Weaksauce
Is this only for B&M? The reason I ask is because it says 39.99 online and has a printable Mail in Rebate...but there is a balloon that says

"Note: To take advantage of rebates or special pricing with In-Store Pick-Up, your order must be picked up within the timeframe of the offer(s)."

Does that mean you could have it shipped too though?...It's just confusing the way they put it and the way someone earlier mentioned that there wasn't a store close to him.

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Edit: It also says "This offer is for the Hitachi Global Storage Technologies Deskstar 160GB, purchased at full price"

The problem is that it has an instant rebate which makes it not full price...Am I looking at this too much?

Tiny

Supreme [H]ardness
You can reserve it online for instore pickup but the deal is only available instore. And the instant off doesn't effect the rebate. You have to have a credit card to reserve it, but when you go in to the store...you can pay with whatever the store accepts...ie cash, check..etc.

And just to end the miss-information being put out by the uninformed....the reason I put him on my ignore list was due to his sig (wanna know why just PM me). His post has nothing to do with the reason of adding him to my ignore list. In fact I answered his question. Any more "thoughts" on the subject should be done in PMs. Don't thread crap. :rolleyes:

Qwertyman

2[H]4U
^please, if you have any comments do not do it in this thread, speak to tiny through a pm...same applies to you tiny.

I'm not trying to be a mama's boy, but this thread should surely be about the hard drive in question.

michealo

[H]ard|Gawd
thanks OP, great deal

It takes incredibly huge bravado to so blatantly call out a political figure.
:rolleyes: turn off mtv, you got serious issues if a celeb (rapper) is your hero

Tiny

Supreme [H]ardness
Qwertyman said:
^please, if you have any comments do not do it in this thread, speak to tiny through a pm...same applies to you tiny.

I'm not trying to be a mama's boy, but this thread should surely be about the hard drive in question.

Agreed whole-heartedly.

By the way, for those in the TwinCities, there are still some to be found. Minnetonka had some the last time I looked.

bobbydole

Limp Gawd
Tiny said:
Agreed whole-heartedly.

By the way, for those in the TwinCities, there are still some to be found. Minnetonka had some the last time I looked.

Sweet I'll go by the Minnetonka store later today and pick one up! Sweet!

Tiny

Supreme [H]ardness
bobbydole said:
Sweet I'll go by the Minnetonka store later today and pick one up! Sweet!

Roseville and Woodbury stores also have them. Bloomington says they have limited quanties available, but as of yesturday they were out.

Psyco

Limp Gawd
I got 4 in KC. I put them in a RAID 10 array on my Asus A8N Premium on the Nvidia controller. The drives are not loud at all. What they are is very quick. I am impressed. These are faster then my old Atlas 10KIII drives in a RAID 0 off of an LSI controller w/128mB of cache!!! :D

mrgstiffler

[H]F Junkie
If have the Hitachi SATAII drives and they are very quiet, except for a high pitched whistle sound. I tell you, that sound gets annoying VERY quickly. I don't think you can hear it if you have the sides and front bezel on your case though. I've been messing around with my equipment for the past couple days and have noticed the whistle...

Cruithne

Weaksauce
It seems the good deals are always billions of light years away :( Looks good to those of you who are near one though!

Tweakin

[H]ard|Gawd
Tiny said:
Picked up the last one at the Bloomington store after work today.

:D

nice call, I am swinging by the same store on my way home from work today.

EDIT: Do'h, just read the Bloomington store may be out. With gas prices, driving to the other stores in rush hour may bring that $0.25 per gig up quite a bit :)

Tiny

Supreme [H]ardness
Tweakin said:
nice call, I am swinging by the same store on my way home from work today.

EDIT: Do'h, just read the Bloomington store may be out. With gas prices, driving to the other stores in rush hour may bring that $0.25 per gig up quite a bit :)

On-line they say they have limited quantities, they could have put some more out after I grabbed the last one the day before.

If you have a credit card on you, reserve it online for instore pick up and you can pay with whatever you want when you go get it. They hold it for 72hrs too.

chrisf6969

[H]F Junkie
160GB PATA's are on sale every week for $39, first time I noticed a SATA drive. Finally. Too bad I don't need any drivers at the moment.

Though, the Dell 80GB Raptor was tempting me earlier.

Tyklfe

[H]ard|Gawd
Tiny said:
No. Just check out the Storage section of the forums.

*edit*

From Doug-Lite's Sticky on buying harddrives:

The 7K250 is what these are.

Eh, after getting burned on a couple of IBM drives, it's going to be awhile before I'll try them again... but that's just my $.02

It is a hot ass deal though, and as I'm using 160s in my file server, this would be awesome for a backup drive...... but still, I'd rather get new WD 160s....

Tiny

Supreme [H]ardness
lol, this is actually replacing a WD 120 PATA drive for me. :D

seigejet

Limp Gawd
chrisf6969 said:
160GB PATA's are on sale every week for $39, first time I noticed a SATA drive. Finally. Too bad I don't need any drivers at the moment.

Though, the Dell 80GB Raptor was tempting me earlier.

Yea, this is the first time I've seen sata on sale as well, I would hop all over this if it was larger capacity - though still a pretty spiffy deal.

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
Watch for the Seagate 160's, they've been $39 after rebate several times at Fry's. I have two from two different times. They are SATA, 8MB, 5yr warranty, and NCQ.

lozaning

2[H]4U
the comp usa in mission veijop has like 44 left. great deal, piccked one up today. as for the quality. i have an 80 gig hitachie as my system drive, works flawless

Tiny

Supreme [H]ardness
Cruithne said:
It seems the good deals are always billions of light years away :( Looks good to those of you who are near one though!

I have the same thought every time I see a good Staples deal.
:(

wadec22

2[H]4U
Hey guys, I saw this yesterday and clicked on the link that said "notify me when available for delivery". Already this morning, exact drive and deal were emailed to me as available for delivery. Great for me since I don't have a CompUSA near here.

Bullitt

2[H]4U
wadec22 said:
Hey guys, I saw this yesterday and clicked on the link that said "notify me when available for delivery". Already this morning, exact drive and deal were emailed to me as available for delivery. Great for me since I don't have a CompUSA near here.

What mojo do you have? I click on the "Add to cart" link and it tells me its for in-store pickup only.

My nearest CUSA is 109miles one-way and with $2.80/gallon gas, it'd be cheaper to order it online for its retail price :\