16 port unmanaged switch recommendations

aznattic

n00b
Hello,

I honestly though buying a switch today (especially an non-managed one) would be easy, but with several bad reviews for most of them, i'm sort of stuck.

I was looking at the following units and was wondering if anyone had experiences with any.

HP Procurve 1410-16G 9560A
D-Link DGS-1016D
Netgear GS116
Netgear JGS516

Reviews will state unit dies after a certain period of time or the unit will become terribly slow and would need a reset (on the older netgear reviews). I know they did revision changes so i'm not sure if that issue is fixed for netgear.

I was honestly looking at the HP Procurve. All of these support 32 Gb switching capacity

I just need something reliable and fast. It will be used for movie streaming across all units from one server with also some larger data transfers as well of 10-50 GBs at times. This is from solid state to solid state so i do want to get near the max of the gigabit lan speeds.

Thanks

Nice that this thread just came up. Been shopping around for 24 port unmanaged gigabit switches myself and ran into the same conundrum.

Thanks for suggesting that HP... after doing more research they really seem to be awesome switches (was initially leaning towards netgear but the reviews were scaring me...works out though because HP seems to be doing a hella better job!).

I've used the 8port version of that HP for a while now with no complaints. My sister has the 24 port version in her network at home, and it's quite awesome as well.

I'm sure you could find cheaper...but between the fanless design, lifetime warranty, and solid construction...I'm not sure if it would be better.

The netgear's 802.11az is a little too aggressive, you'll need to unplug and replug the unit occasionally because the switch will power off some of the ports at random.

The HP just works and runs forever.

HP or Zyxel IMO. I love my 1810s. I have a hard time holding onto one of them as I don't use it much.

Back