16% of Cell Phones Have Poop on Them

HardOCP News

[H] News
You might want to skip this next article if you are eating because it just might make you sick. And, if you think that is bad, you might not want to touch that gross ass keyboard you are using right now either. :eek:

i havent read it yet, but i will, but i always lol at people who are so blissfully unaware of these kind of things. im aware and i just dont care that much. im a clean person but i understand that germaphobia is about 10000x more blown out of proportion than it needs to be.

i always find it funny to get people to think about things they never though about...heh. like just the other day someone was going on and on about how no one washes their hands after using public restroom and say how can you not wash your hands after touching a flush handle thats been pissed on. and i say "well you wash your hands and then afterword you touch the door handle thats been touched by people with piss on their hands"

and their like "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu never thought of that......"

If we weren't in contact with germs and bacteria 24/7 we would have no resistance to stronger, deadlier strains.

Keep the poop on the cell

Is it weird i flush the toilet and open bathroom doors with my feet? lol. It was informative and i lol'ed at/liked all the meme's in it.

Is it weird i flush the toilet and open bathroom doors with my feet? lol. It was informative and i lol'ed at/liked all the meme's in it.

I do the same (well not the doors, wtf?) And some of the info is a bit without context...like the light switches have 200-something bacteria per square inch...is that a lot? Is that harmful bacteria? Or is it just FUD?

If you think that's nasty, watch how many people walk right past the sink when they finish in bathrooms.

sometimes I rub poop all over my body just so I have a strong immune system.

I recommend it to everyone.

Yes all of this is funny,
Number of "GERMs" do not mean much . . and is misleading. (life is not black and white)
Only a full breakdown of type and numbers really mean anything.

Most bacteria are harmless, others are only harmful in large amounts are in some situations.
In-fact this harmless bacteria normally keeps the harmful bacteria from growing unchecked.

(as simply put as possible :p )
I think this misunderstanding comes from the possibility that at high concentrations, if you do not know what it is, you do have a potential of having enough of something bad that may do something. In low concentrations there is probably not enough of anything to do well, anything.

now that we can identify bacteria . . that rule of thumb seems to be less then useful.

So, wash your hands with soap! this kills the "new comers" and keep the indigenous "flora" happy imbedded and shouldering out the "evil" new comers. Kill everything with a germicide and you do not know what will take up residence.

sometimes I rub poop all over my body just so I have a strong immune system.
I recommend it to everyone.

It is your own poop so you have already dealt with it :p

A thought game
Just think, when you go #2 . . . . and wipe, what is the next few things you do before washing your hands? (hint . . I do not see many people at the washbasins with there pants around there ankles . . . think about it :eek: )

The reason people have an issue with dirty toilets really has nothing to do with germs, it has to do with the fact that no one wants to touch anyone else' nasty shit or piss.

not surprising It has been at least 2 years since I slapped out a chocolate trout without playing on my phone while doing so. Shit covered Plants VS Shit covered Zumbies.

Yes all of this is funny,
Number of "GERMs" do not mean much . . and is misleading. (life is not black and white)
Only a full breakdown of type and numbers really mean anything.

Most bacteria are harmless, others are only harmful in large amounts are in some situations.
In-fact this harmless bacteria normally keeps the harmful bacteria from growing unchecked.

(as simply put as possible :p )
I think this misunderstanding comes from the possibility that at high concentrations, if you do not know what it is, you do have a potential of having enough of something bad that may do something. In low concentrations there is probably not enough of anything to do well, anything.

now that we can identify bacteria . . that rule of thumb seems to be less then useful.

So, wash your hands with soap! this kills the "new comers" and keep the indigenous "flora" happy imbedded and shouldering out the "evil" new comers. Kill everything with a germicide and you do not know what will take up residence.

Yes, these statistics always annoy me. The germs on your keyboard are of the every day variety, the kind your immune system is designed to handle. The germs on a toilet however are not. You lick a public toilet seat and I'll lick my keyboard, lets see who gets sick first.

People need to be exposed to germs at low levels on a regular basis so they don't die when they get exposed to something nasty. Your immune system can't go from 0 to light speed in one shot. It needs to build immunity to all sorts of various strains. The people who sanitize the fuck out of their lives and kids will have kids that grow up to be sick all the time due to not having a primed immune system.

Heck, I used to drink water out of the garden hose that sat outside 24/7 during the summer months. No idea what sort of germs were on the end of the hose ... and we didn't die. We dropped food on the ground, picked it up, and ate it. We could sneeze without people freaking out. And, frankly, we had way less kids dying from being deathly allergic to silly things like peanuts.

The more we sanitize our homes the less we're prepared to deal with anything outside that sanitized world. Give it another few decades and people will be pushing for environmental suits (i.e. Mass Effect Quarians) because they have such compromised immune systems.

That's why I always purchase candybar style cellphones. Easier insertion and cleaning.

It is your own poop so you have already dealt with it :p

A thought game
Just think, when you go #2 . . . . and wipe, what is the next few things you do before washing your hands? (hint . . I do not see many people at the washbasins with there pants around there ankles . . . think about it :eek: )

If your hands are getting 'dirty' when you wipe, then maybe you're not using enough tissue! But yeah, I always assume everything has shit on it and act accordingly. :)

I don't like to buckle up before doing a preliminary wash. I use different parts of my hand and make as little contact as possible in the process. (I flush with the back of one finger or with a tissue). TMI, hehe. I make sure my hands are clean enough to unlock/open the door, then do a final wash to exit. I am mindful that the faucet handle and the light switches are also contaminated.

It's not that I'm a germaphobe. I'll shake anybody's hand. I don't use 'anti-bacterial' soap, just regular liquid soap and lots of mechanical action. But as I go from one activity to the next, I'm compelled to wash my hands to minimize cross-contamination and just keep things as clean and orderly as is reasonable.

Which is worse:

1) not realizing that everything around you including your desk, keyboard, cell phone etc are smothered with germs

2) panicking over germs that your immune systems should have no problem handling

Mythbusters already proved you can get fecal matter on stuff you have not touched, on the other side of the house from where your toilet is, so I'm not worried in the slightest.

The Classic Foot Flush.

It doesn't make much difference if you're still handling the toilet seat, the door knob, the tissue roll, your clothing, etc. :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not suprising considering how often I hear people taking calls while on a toilet. I imagine a fair amount are checking their e-mail and surfing the web as well...

Poo is everywhere. Deal with it.

Also, why are people surprised that the things we touch the most are the dirtiest things? I'd say funnier statistics are things like the studies of coke (not the brown kind) and large denomination bills.

Not suprising considering how often I hear people taking calls while on a toilet. I imagine a fair amount are checking their e-mail and surfing the web as well...

Smartphones make great toilet entertainment. I would never place a call during though.

If your hands are getting 'dirty' when you wipe, then maybe you're not using enough tissue!

No, you might need more fiber in your diet. One square of single-ply toilet paper at a time should be enough for all but the largest of asses. The environmentally conscious should use it once, turn it over, then repeat.

Ride the bus twice a week to work. You'll be able to arm wrestle AIDS

Yeah, I ride the SF Bay Area BART every day...here is the NY Times doing an analysis of the seats.... http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/us/06bcseats.html?pagewanted=all

Fecal and skin-borne bacteria resistant to antibiotics were found in a seat on a train headed from Daly City to Dublin/Pleasanton. Further testing on the skin-borne bacteria showed characteristics of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA, the drug-resistant bacterium that causes potentially lethal infections, although Ms. Franklin cautioned that the MRSA findings were preliminary.

High concentrations of at least nine bacteria strains and several types of mold were found on the seat. Even after Ms. Franklin cleaned the cushion with an alcohol wipe, potentially harmful bacteria were found growing in the fabric.

BARF.

No, you might need more fiber in your diet. One square of single-ply toilet paper at a time should be enough for all but the largest of asses. The environmentally conscious should use it once, turn it over, then repeat.

Not sure if serious... :eek:

I made the assumption that if you're using a public restroom to do #2, then you must have life-threatening, explosive diarrhea, which explains the shit on the walls. :)

The reason people have an issue with dirty toilets really has nothing to do with germs, it has to do with the fact that no one wants to touch anyone else' nasty shit or piss.

- - because they are full of nasty germs that may have a potential of disease and let us not forget parasites!! . . It is not a bad reason, just sometimes overdone.
Trace amounts are just that Trace amounts (that is what people are talking about here on phones and such) . . and may be a problem for people only with a compromised immune system but not for anyone else.

Become a parent or work on a farm and the "gross factor" of shit or piss goes way way down.

Yes, other peoples poop is potentially much much more dangerous, since they have different flora, could be sick, and could have parasites. The % does up with each new random person that uses the toilet. But at home this is really no big deal.
Again I think this is why they simplified all of this to, amount of bacteria rather then what kind of and amount. People are basically clueless and it is easier to instill "This BAD" then to teach germ theory.

Mythbusters already proved you can get fecal matter on stuff you have not touched, on the other side of the house from where your toilet is, so I'm not worried in the slightest.
Chipotle farts are the primary contamination mechanism for such items. Its impossible not to squirt a little.

if you are walking on your hands while you are doing it, yeah, it's probably weird.

No walking on my hands, But i can hold my foot above my head for long periods of time.

Its also worth noting this is public bathrooms that I do this at and most have a push to open handle or the hooked kind.

Back