16*10 suport on PS3 or 360

tel0004

Limp Gawd
I'm debating on getting a PS3 or Xbox 360, but I want to hook it up to my computer monitor. (It has HDMI). I know most televisions are 16*9, so most games will support that, but will they support 16*10 as well.? If not, it is possible to just have black bars on the top in 16*9 mode, or will the picture look distorted?

I'm leaning towards the PS3, mainly because of GT5, but I havent made up my mind yet.

I could also go with a Wii, but that doesn't have HDMI. If I got that, would there be any way to hook it up to my monitor. (It has DVI, VGA, and HDMI). If I got a Wii the same question applies with 16*10 support.

360 doesn't support 16:10. It does 16:9 with bars. I have my 360 stretched to 16:10 on a FW-900 and the distortion is pretty minimal.

360 doesn't support 16:10. It does 16:9 with bars. I have my 360 stretched to 16:10 on a FW-900 and the distortion is pretty minimal.

Cool, thats what I assumed, I just wanted to make sure before I drop a few hundred on a console. If I get a 360, I'll borrow a friends first and hook it up, but I don't have that option with a PS3, as none of my friends own one.

My ps3 connected via hdmi to a 24 inch monitor also maintained aspect ratio with black bars top and bottom.

Depends on the monitor. My monitor is scaling the 720p image to 1680*1050 and it looks terrible. I'm using a Samsung 2323GW. Hopefully I find a way around this. I might try component -> VGA, instead of using HDMI -> DVI.

neither will do a native 16:10 :(

I have all three game consoles + a PSP.

My 360 is my favorite with no questions.

ps3 on my HP w1907 @ 16:10 has more jaggies at 1080i, 720p looks a bit better, but jaggies are still there. on a monitor with a res @ 1440x900 (16:10) there will be scaling issues and you will have jagged edges, thats how i play mine atm, but still looks good none the less, i can deal deal with fake aliasing.

I'm in this boat with my 360.

I bought a VGA adapter for my 24" gateway only to find out I have one of the revisions that won't do 1080 over VGA. I was using 1080i via Component, which was letter boxed and that was working ok, but the component input quality on these monitors hovers between the shitty/acceptable line.

So now I have much better color quality and picture fidelity, but it's being stretched now from 1366x768 to 1920x1200, instead of 1920x1080. The option to do 1:1 makes the picture too small, the "wide" option generates horrible tearing, and the "full" option throws off the aspect ratio.

Sooooooo, next I'm going to try an HDMI => DVI connector.

My PS3 is hooked up to a 24'' Benq FP241W Sept 07 using HDMI with aspect turned on so of course its gonna have the black bars. I don't mind since I also have a 60'' SXRD RPTV that I sometimes play on. Looks great in 1080P but unfortunately I have a very thin green line on the bottom of the video when I play BD movies (for the monitor), its not there in games thank god. Goes away with overscan on but still kinda annoying. I think its a quirk with my monitor combined with the PS3.

I bought a VGA adapter for my 24" gateway only to find out I have one of the revisions that won't do 1080 over VGA. I was using 1080i via Component, which was letter boxed and that was working ok, but the component input quality on these monitors hovers between the shitty/acceptable line.

So now I have much better color quality and picture fidelity, but it's being stretched now from 1366x768 to 1920x1200, instead of 1920x1080. The option to do 1:1 makes the picture too small, the "wide" option generates horrible tearing, and the "full" option throws off the aspect ratio.

check out monoprice.com for the convertor - should only run you abour $4 shipped there instead of $25 at radio shack.

www.monoprice.com

oh yeah... monoprice rules, I'm a huge fan. I just got done buying $190 worth of stuff there that would have cost $500+ at a Retail store.

Coincidentally they were out of 10 ft. hdmi/dvi cables.

whether or not you get proper scaling with black bars or stretched to 16:10 depends upon the monitor. the quality of the image after it is stretched to fit a 1680x1050 or larger depends upon the quality of the scaler in the monitor.

I have a gateway 22 with a faroudja chip in it and 720p loos great. 1080i looks even better because it is de-interlaced and then scaled down 30 pixels to fit into the 1050p. this is not the norm though, most monitors have pretty poor scalers in them.My 22 does not generally keep the proper aspect of 16:9. in games, the stretching is basically not noticeable, but in some movies where you are looking at real images, sometimes your brain will notice the stretching. there are some games though that do keep their aspect, like Ratchet and Clank for PS3. it must be programmed to force its aspect or something.

This same quistion has been bothering me lately as well. I was considering getting 28" LCd Monitor, but with it being 16x10 I knew I would have problems with video game consoles. But I wanted something bigger and higher resolution than my current 22" Westy. I thought about getting a 32" 1080p LCD TV and hooking it up to the computer, but they dont alwys play well with computers, on my older 720p 32" TV I was only able to get VGA input to work with the computer. I really wish there was a smaller 1080p TVs as 32" for a computer monitor is freaking huge when gaming. but there again when I first got my 22" I thought it was huge, but I got use to it after a short while.
I don't have a TV and I use my computer as a HTPC, watching TV on my 22" moniotr is a strain at best, this is why I was looking for something bigger that I can use as a TV and a monitor.

Never knew there was a 360 that wouldn't do 1080 over VGA...

Never knew there was a 360 that wouldn't do 1080 over VGA...

My fault, that sentence is worded unclearly, I was referencing the monitor and not the xbox.

bought a VGA adapter for my 24" gateway only to find out I have one of the revisions of gateway monitor, that won't do 1080 over VGA.

sorry bout that.

Doesn't the PS3 need the monitor to be HDCP compliant to work?

The PS3 looks amazing on my Dell 24".

Doesn't the PS3 need the monitor to be HDCP compliant to work?
I've heard various people give conflicting opinions about that, but it seems like the prevailing experience is that you _always_ need HDCP if you're using HDMI/DVI - even if it's games, which really shouldn't require HDCP (what are you trying to protect from? screen grabs?). Someone on AVS had a thread about their experiences with the PS3 and a Dell 2405FPW, and it seemed relatively authoritative to me:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=753231

Definitely lame - the 360 doesn't have the same problem, IIRC.

I have a FW900 w/ vga cable hooked up to my 360 and when I try 1080p the image is way off the screen to the side and no matter how I adjust the controls I can't get it 100% centered. 720p works great though, despite the crappy 60hz refresh. I was wondering if you run 1080p and I you had any issues like me.

On a side note, those who dont have HDCP compliant monitors can always use HD FURY for VGA 1080p games and bluray playback on PS3, kinda expensive for an adaptor but it works.

There will be some distortion on a 16:10 monitor, but it's almost not noticeable.

Back