1511 release gives black screen on bootup.

My dad has a Thinkpad Yoga 12 (5th gen Intel) that, upon going to 1511, runs into an issue. This occurs regardless of being and update or a clean install. The image that was in use prior to the upgrade worked fine on the Yoga 12 I used to have back in Aug-Sept.

When starting the computer from shutdown or reboot, there is a 75% chance that it will give a lit black screen where it should be showing the Windows logo and asking the user to log in. Rebooting enough times eventually fixes it. I've tried new video drivers, installing the proper monitor inf file, etc. No luck.

Going back to pre-1511 could be done, but I'd have to travel 3 hours, reformat it, and reinstall everything, and then drive back 3 hours. I don't want to do that. He's going to try to live with it, but I was curious if anyone had run into anything. Things online tend to list video, and it thinking there's a phantom monitor in use or something along those lines, but if that were the case, I should be able to ping it and connect remotely. That's not happening.

First of all, are there any Administrative Events listed in the Event Log in Computer Management? Often it will list a specific driver or windows component that is having problems

Beyond that, I would try the typical stuff. Try to run "SFC /Scannow" from an administrative command prompt. Then do "CHKDSK C: /Scan /Perf" (assuming C is your system drive). That CHKDSK command will run a quick online disc check within windows. If it actually finds something then I would do "CHKDSK C: /F" or "CHKDSK C: /R" (checks for physical errors also but takes a lot longer), and then reboot.

Yep, I updated the BIOS before I gave it to Dad, and Fast Boot isn't enabled, because hibernate was disabled. He doesn't use it, he either leaves it on all the time, or he turns it off for his flights.

Have you tried updating the video drivers with non generic windows ones? Just because it workwed with a previous release of windows 10 doesnt mean it will work now. It could very well be a driver issue.

I would update the video drivers and see if that does anything to help.

Ok, issue solved. Found online people were talking about it, and it seems to be the case here.

Synaptics' drivers are messing things up. Tap the screen when black, and you can boot normally.

I'd have preferred just dealing with that personally, but my dad did not. Uninstall and BLOCK the synaptics drivers from installing, and it'll boot normally. He's one of the crazy people that prefers the tapping functionality, so he won't miss the full driver suite; it'd drive me crazy, personally.

Back