150$ 9600GT with accelero S1.

Ryle

[H]ard|Gawd
[H]otdamn!! Elitegroup 9600GT. 25$ instant savings.

300$ 9600GT SLI!!! so jealous for new builders.

yes you can bend/cut part of one fin to fit the sli bridge hehe...

I'd take the Hr-03 over that any day. Its to damn big, there should be limits to how big things can be made.

I'd take the Hr-03 over that any day. Its to damn big, there should be limits to how big things can be made.
ROFL, tell that to the ladies lol. Didn't the person above whining about this heatsink read the latest reviews of it here?

ROFL, tell that to the ladies lol. Didn't the person above whining about this heatsink read the latest reviews of it here?

There have been other reviews that favor it as well. HardOCP is not the only place that is impressed, which just says even more about it. I'm happy with mine.

I jumped on this last night as well as an extra 2GB ram for my box. I'll report back later when I get it. Will be running with AMD 5000+, 4G RAM, Vista Ultimate.

I jumped on this last night as well as an extra 2GB ram for my box. I'll report back later when I get it. Will be running with AMD 5000+, 4G RAM, Vista Ultimate.

You got a good deal on a good video card with a good cooler. I remember paying $220 for my 8800GT a few months ago, I hear this card is almost as fast as an 8800GT :mad:

it comes with an hdmi adapter, does anyone know if this card is capable of outputing audio through that hdmi port?

[edit] Above got to the HDMI issue before me, and linked to some info I guess :) [/edit]

On the cooler, well show me ANY cooler that performs as well as it does, passively or not, for as *cheap* as it is.. Eg: the rev 1 S1 dropped my "old" 7900GT's temps from ~85+ all the way down to mid-high 50's - damn fine value I must say for $17 ($27 tax/ship). If you've got the space for cards like this, or to slap an S1 on choice of cards yourself, SLI or not, this is one of the best deals around really. And the SLI issue (slot clearance not withstanding), isn't that much of an issue, Artic Cooling sells a custom SLI bridge (I've read ~$5) for cards that use the Sx coolers.

Oh, and ps.. With ECS slapping these coolers on their cards recently, it no wonder the friggin cooler is out of stock almost everywhere all the time.

that heatsink is stupid big... who thought up that

one of the best heatsink manufacturers in the world thought it up. arctic cooling makes awesome coolers. very good performance with little to no noise at all. i've got the ecs 8800gt /w stock accelero s1 on it. works like a charm. passive at 40C-60C in my teeny little sg03. i've run it no fans on in my case before and worked just fine. a lot better than my stock evga 8800gt that ran 90C temps not to mention loud as hell if you up the fan speed manually.
reviews on the cooler...
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article798-page7.html
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1108&pageID=3491
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/cases_cooling/arctic_cooling_accelero_s2_-_passive_graphics_cooler/4
so many reviews out there, just google it. Yah sure it's bulky, yah sure it's ugly, but it's all worth the silence and performance...

of course, the hr03 is an awesome cooler, but it weighs in at 410grams. add on a 92mm fan and that goes up by about 88grams. the arctic cooling s2 is more than half that at 202 grams. add on the turbo module and it's only 70grams more.
the hr03 is L133 x W156 x H38mm
the S2 is L140 x W188 x H32mm
+7mm length, + 32mm width, -6mm height

I don't really think it's that much larger. it does weigh a lot less. sure the heatsink is a lot longer but that shouldn't really matter too much as the 9600gt itself is 210mm in length.
9600gt L100 x W210 x H15mm

The cooling performance is almost on par with the hr-03 give or take a few degrees. Passively, if installed in a case with negative pressure (that's fans pulling air out) I think the arctic cooling stuff takes the cake. it really irks me how review sites install the heatsink without the proper airflow (says right in the manual about how they should be used), or they just put it on an open bench setup where the hot air is allowed to sit. put a fan on and the hr-03 does better.

price wise... the cheapest card you can get right now is $149 and that's this exact card, or go with the msi and do a 20 mir for $145 whatever floats your boat. add on an hr-03 $40, and wooloah $185-$190 gets you an hr03 + 9600gt. so yah...
$190 for an elegant, shiny, and quite heavy hr03 infused 9600gt, or $150 for an uglier slightly taller, slightly slimmer, slightly uglier, but performs just as well s2 infused 9600gt?
it is only $40 right? which could mean a 2gb ballistix upgrade, half of a new 2180, a much better cpu heatsink, 3 new quality case fans, a new cheesy case, half of a decent psu, a printer... blah blah blah i talk too much.

At $149 no MIR it's the cheapest no hassle 9600gt out there at the moment. I'd jump in, but I have a Galaxy 8800gt and an ecs 8800gt sittin around /w no sli board. i'm hoping an mir comes soon for this ecs board, as i've been eagerly awaiting it. i'll sell my two cards soon for one shot at this sucker. hell two 9600gt's outperform an 8800gtx sometimes. give me two silent 9600gt's and i'll be one happy mofo.

only gripe i have about this card is that it's from ECS (not the best high end parts manufacturer). That should be the only concern. I've yet to see how their RMA/customer service is. My turbo module cables decided to not stick together so i'm going to have to replace them. Performance and price wise they are on the spot. If they keep rolling out nice cards like this, and are great with customer service, I've just about replaced EVGA and XFX on my to buy list.

ps... i hate how dumbasses on newegg don't know what they hell they are talking about. why do they let people review stuff when they didn't even use the damm thing yet? sli with this cooler is not impossible. there's an extra long sli cable that can be had. i'm going to buy the card, get an sli cable, run it in sli /w my non-sli g33m-ds2r, and post a pic of it up on newegg. dumb reviewers pulling down the rating of an item without even using it yet.

I bet you won't be too happy when you try to take that giant sticker off the heatsink and it leaves a thin layer of goo in it's place. I've had that happen on an AGP slot; had to spend an hour with a pin removing it.

If worst comes to worst, the heatsink is pretty easy to take off, and use some Goo Gone or similar on it.

I bet you won't be too happy when you try to take that giant sticker off the heatsink and it leaves a thin layer of goo in it's place. I've had that happen on an AGP slot; had to spend an hour with a pin removing it.

but you're supposed to leave the sticker on to help with airflow.

It won't help airflow and it will prevent you from adding the fan should you want to. The only way it might help is if you had a fan forcing air out the back of the case through it.

I hope you're joking because the sticker itself explicitly says to remove it before installing the card (see Newegg pictures) :eek:

Also, the box art seems to show it's an Accelero S2, not an S1. Less heatpipes (2 vs 4) compared to the S1 variant. Still a good deal, regardless.

Does this thing have a place to mount a fan on it? If so, what type of fan?
Or would good case airflow be enough? Gonna do a mild o/c

I was gonna get the evga but maybe I'll look at this

It won't help airflow and it will prevent you from adding the fan should you want to. The only way it might help is if you had a fan forcing air out the back of the case through it.

I hope you're joking because the sticker itself explicitly says to remove it before installing the card (see Newegg pictures) :eek:

Also, the box art seems to show it's an Accelero S2, not an S1. Less heatpipes (2 vs 4) compared to the S1 variant. Still a good deal, regardless.

Dude, look at the newegg product photo, it CLEARLY says "Please remove this sticker before any installations"

lol. i was joking.

Does this thing have a place to mount a fan on it? If so, what type of fan?
Or would good case airflow be enough? Gonna do a mild o/c

I was gonna get the evga but maybe I'll look at this

arctic cooling made a set of fans just for the s1 and s2 called a turbo module. my ecs 8800gt came with the turbo modules, but i never used them. no need really. i oc to 700/1000, never tweaked it, but i'll look into that later. i dont think you really need the fans if you have proper airflow already.

how on earth could you do sli with this thing? the cooler sticks out to far

The fins are bendable. I havn't done it but i heard you can get it between them

Back