15 Year Old Hacks "Unhackable" Cryptocurrency Wallet to Play Doom

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by cageymaru, Aug 9, 2018.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

15 year old Saleem Rashid has hacked John McAfee's "unhackable" Bitfi wallet and used the compromised device to play Doom. There is a $250,000 bounty for anyone that can crack the device and steal the coins. Saleem Rashid didn't get the coins off the device as they are stored in the cloud, so the $250,000 bounty is still available. But he still has one of the coolest and most insecure portable Doom devices on the planet!

Video of the old-school first-person shooter has surfaced on Twitter. Self-described adversarial thinker Saleem Rashid is credited with hijacking it -- a hacking prodigy just 15-years old. Keep in mind, Bitfi's wallet is meant be the world's first 'unhackable' device, supposedly doubling as a secure cryptocurrency storage solution. But as we already know, this is hardly the case.

AceGoober likes this.
  2. spaceman

spaceman [H]ardForum Junkie

So is that an impressive hack or not?

3. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Have to wait and see if he gets charged as an adult under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.;)

4. Mega6

Mega6 Gawd

Hacking Mcafee's drunken stoned wasted wallet, probably not that impressive.

5. ZeqOBpf6

ZeqOBpf6 Limp Gawd

6. Mega6

Mega6 Gawd

And the point of hacking a wallet is to get the coins, which did not happen. Pretty pointless exercise.

Rahh likes this.
  7. Troz

Troz Limp Gawd

Can't get coins from a device with none on it.

"Whoa, how much money was in it, or what crypto was in it? @officialmcafee better pay that bounty up!"

"None - they have yet to ship any of us a bounty device. So we are utilizing available resources until one finally shows up."

They were getting a feel for the device.

8. theBrownLlama

theBrownLlama Limp Gawd

considering the amount of b.s these days on the net, especially from the younger ones, i will wait for 3rd party verification.

seems like he just flashed the entire device

9. Yaka

Yaka Gawd

pretty sure this kids cred is rock solid

Makaveli@BETA and AceGoober like this.
  10. Ski

Ski Gawd

Haha!

11. Gottfried Leibnizzle

Gottfried Leibnizzle Limp Gawd

He has a bright future. As for the rest of us, we'll keep plugging away at our day jobs :(

AceGoober likes this.
  12. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

I bet that he didn't actually hack anything on kernel level, he just bypassed the motherboard hardware and runs the touch screen off an external device.

13. RealBeast

RealBeast Limp Gawd

His future really depends on what he does with his talent. Living in Mom's basement and hacking video games is one sad possibility. :rolleyes:

14. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

Lol, owned.

15. shspvr

shspvr Gawd

This not a Hack more like upload and executed a custom firmware or rom directly in to device so who care as doom can be run a calculator

16. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow [H]ardForum Junkie

BaghdadBob.jpg

auntjemima and AceGoober like this.
  17. Mut1ny

Mut1ny [H]ard|Gawd

Why? Seems to be working. Oh, right, McAfee...it's apparently OK to be assholes towards him...

18. c3k

c3k [H]ard|Gawd

McAfee: just one drug-fueled murder and everyone says he’s a bad guy... Can’t a guy catch a break?

/s

19. jpm100

jpm100 [H]ardness Supreme

Did he 'hack' as in penetrate to the coin data or did he 'hack' as in re-purposed the device?

Seems like a bait and switch headline.

20. Biznatch

Biznatch [H]ard|Gawd

They already posted there was no key/coins on the device for him to hack.

21. modi123

modi123 [H]ardness Supreme

Augmented firmware - per the tweet reading.

So.. just steps along the way I guess.

auntjemima and AceGoober like this.
  22. jpm100

That's a little different. If there was meaningful data could he have gotten past the security? It's like if I found an encrypted drive, erased it and used it to store my vacation photos and then claimed I hacked an encrypted harddrive. No I hacked (barely) a harddrive and did not hack the encryption.

23. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

From the sounds of it yes. The tech write up and tweets pretty much imply he got as far as he needed to prove the exploit is more than viable in a number of ways.

He essentially kicked down the door to your house to prove it wasnt secure and left. Getting a buddy to help lift your TV into his van was unnecessary unless he was actually robbing you.

KarsusTG, scojer, Meeho and 1 other person like this.
  24. Mega6

Mega6 Gawd

There is no proof you robbed Fort Knox without bringing back the gold. Even 1 mBTC would be convincing. This is not.

25. jpm100

From the article is sounds like broke into the house setup an xbox on the TV is eating their chips and drinking their beer, but the safe is still sitting in the corner untouched.

AceGoober likes this.
  26. EBound

EBound n00bie

As someone already stated, he left the safe (the secure part) sitting in the corner untouched. He did not "hack" the device in the sense of what the reward was for.

27. Troz

Troz Limp Gawd

There was no "safe" They have not been given the devices for the hack contest yet. They were simply getting a feel for the house while waiting for the safe to be delivered.

28. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

Sorry, I didn't mean the article, I meant his tech write up that was posted earlier. https://saleemrashid.com/2018/03/20/breaking-ledger-security-model/

He outlines a few different options, IIRC one of which was using the MCU to just send the transactions wherever you want without the user noticing. In this case you don't actually need to crack the safe, The user does it for you.

29. Gottfried Leibnizzle

The point is not what he did or didn't steal. There is much to be said for the kid's character if you go read his blog, nevertheless the thrust of the story is that a supposedly secure technology got handed its ass (and that of he CEO thereof) on a silver platter.

By a kid.

Who's probably smarter than you or I.

30. jpm100

No and Maybe. If you have hardware in hand, you can always compromise it to some degree. Since there was nothing there we really don't know if it was still accessible or damaged by the process. I could see a reason to not self-brick. If the device is damaged or even if it stolen, does making the money become inaccessible help you? The security is from it being in your possession.

31. Mega6

Mega6 Gawd

Teenager publicity stunt, good job for him.

32. Gottfried Leibnizzle

Then we might as well go back to hiding bullion in the mattress.

33. Meeho

Meeho 2[H]4U

I think that is a different product.

Look at the Ledger example above. Man in the middle attack is a huge issue with products like these.