15% off 120hz displays @ Newegg today

The ASUS for $240 after rebate seems pretty slick.

However, I had the Acer for a week and couldn't see any real difference from my 60hz monitor. Are my eyes broke? Or is the jump from 60fps to 120fps not noticeable in most games?

The ASUS for $240 after rebate seems pretty slick.

However, I had the Acer for a week and couldn't see any real difference from my 60hz monitor. Are my eyes broke? Or is the jump from 60fps to 120fps not noticeable in most games?

Some swear it is a noticeable, obvious difference, but most say it isn't and I agree from a demo at a friend's. It's a subtle change and I like ips quality more overall plus high res. I can tell the difference but other issues outweigh the boost.

Last edited:
It's most definitely very individual based. My eyes can tell the difference all the way up to around 90-100 fps and I can actually feel the difference well past 100 fps in fluidity of my mouse movements. Other people are happy playing at 30 fps. I wish I were one of those people, as they, much like light-weight drinkers, are a lot cheaper to please ;)

I have really been wanting to try one of these, but the cost of entry is just too high to test one out. The Samsung S27A750D appears to be about $30 cheaper during this sale than the usual price. They jacked up the price from the $550 with free shipping that it has been at for a while for the sale.

It's most definitely very individual based. My eyes can tell the difference all the way up to around 90-100 fps and I can actually feel the difference well past 100 fps in fluidity of my mouse movements. Other people are happy playing at 30 fps. I wish I were one of those people, as they, much like light-weight drinkers, are a lot cheaper to please ;)

Haha... I can tell the change but I prefer ips and double the res instead :D. I thus am pricier :p!

I have really been wanting to try one of these, but the cost of entry is just too high to test one out. The Samsung S27A750D appears to be about $30 cheaper during this sale than the usual price. They jacked up the price from the $550 with free shipping that it has been at for a while for the sale.
Yea no shit, I just checked that. It was 550 yesterday, now 610 so you only get $30 off. Pass.

Very true, Most competitive FPS gamers use cheap CRTs due to the refresh rate being much higher than most normal priced LCD/LEDs. When I had 2233RZ games felt so much better. Especially in FPS. Now that I went back to a normal 60hz monitor I feel like I'm aiming in slow motion :( I really want a 120hz monitor again but I can't get 25-27" size for a decent price.

( I really want a 120hz monitor again but I can't get 25-27" size for a decent price.

Isn't 23-24" the sweet spot for FPS? ASUS has the 27" coming out but that seems a bit big to see everything at once and the DPI is getting a bit small with 27@1080p

Very true, Most competitive FPS gamers use cheap CRTs due to the refresh rate being much higher than most normal priced LCD/LEDs. When I had 2233RZ games felt so much better. Especially in FPS. Now that I went back to a normal 60hz monitor I feel like I'm aiming in slow motion :( I really want a 120hz monitor again but I can't get 25-27" size for a decent price.

@ $240 AR I'm gonna give the Asus a shot and see how much I like this 120hz LCD tech. I too used to have a nice high refresh CRT that I enjoyed the hell out of. I can't stand tearing and I hate <90 fps, hence gaming on these 60hz panels has been painful to say the least. I've grown accustomed to it, but knowing what could be still makes it suck ;)

I was also going to purchase the Samsung S27A750D, but the price hike of $50 really kills the deal for me.

that Planar looks pretty nice, and has free shipping. I've been off and on looking for a 120Hz screen but don't want to drop the coin on a 27"

Holy cow, I am definitely eyeballing that 23" Asus with the mail-in rebate. I am so sick of playing FPS on LCD.

I was also going to purchase the Samsung S27A750D, but the price hike of $50 really kills the deal for me.

Burpy, I totally agree with you. Killed the deal for me, too. It's all smoke and mirrors these days. IMHO: I think this tactic is beneath the Egg...shame onya. It inculcates an attitude of mistrust.

BenQ XL2410T the best for the money??? This or wait for AMOLED display?

@ $240 AR I'm gonna give the Asus a shot and see how much I like this 120hz LCD tech. I too used to have a nice high refresh CRT that I enjoyed the hell out of. I can't stand tearing and I hate <90 fps, hence gaming on these 60hz panels has been painful to say the least. I've grown accustomed to it, but knowing what could be still makes it suck ;)

These things will not be as good as your CRT they still lag but they are alot better than 60hz lcds for gaming.

These things will not be as good as your CRT they still lag but they are alot better than 60hz lcds for gaming.

Oh I'm under no illusions that these can live up to a CRT, but if they are at least as decent as regular LCD's in the color/clarity department and offer 120hz on top of that, it's at the very least a step in the right direction.

BenQ XL2410T the best for the money??? This or wait for AMOLED display?

@ $240 after rebate, the Asus is probably the better buy unless you really hate glossy screens. I personally keep my computer room dark 90% of the time so it's not an issue, and the added contrast/clarity that a glossy screen provide is a bonus in this case.

I can't decide if I should drop the cash on the Asus VG236HE or the Planar SA2311W to replace my V2400W.... Probably not worth it considering the rest of my system is lagging behind the times -_-

I just cancelled my Asus order and dropped the cash on the Samsung. If I'm gonna go for 120 I might as well get the best, tired of being disappointed ;) Came out to $519 shipped, not too shabby.

Not that hard, 3D or no screen tearing over 60 fps with vsync disabled.

The Asus and Planar are the best according to most reviews when it comes to Nvidia compatible 120hz displays.

I can't decide if I should drop the cash on the Asus VG236HE or the Planar SA2311W to replace my V2400W.... Probably not worth it considering the rest of my system is lagging behind the times -_-

I have the same monitor and am choosing between the same two. The Asus comes out $46 less after you get done with the rebate and pay shipping; that will probably be what I end up with unless I decide I can't live with the glossy screen of the Asus.

Hate these Newegg coupon sales now...

10% off everything! But wait, we jacked the prices up by 5-7%, so it's really only a 3% savings!

Hate these Newegg coupon sales now...

10% off everything! But wait, we jacked the prices up by 5-7%, so it's really only a 3% savings!

It works quite well on the masses. Hell even when I know it's nothing more than a gimmick it STILL somehow makes me feel a little better that it's "on sale". Sigh.

I'm thinking about jumping on the 27" Samsung A750: $599.99 + $8.99 shipping now so ~$519 after coupon. I believe the Samsung 120Hz/3D monitors aren't really compatible with nVidia 3D tech right? And rather, they use some other third-party software/tech for 3D? May not be best if you want 3D gaming but I don't really care for 3D anyways. Just want something with better color/picture quality in a 27" size that's better than my Hanns-G/Hannspree 27" (the 120Hz is a bonus, but I'd be downgrading from 1920x1200 -> 1920x1080, oh well).

I'm thinking about jumping on the 27" Samsung A750: $599.99 + $8.99 shipping now so ~$519 after coupon. I believe the Samsung 120Hz/3D monitors aren't really compatible with nVidia 3D tech right? And rather, they use some other third-party software/tech for 3D? May not be best if you want 3D gaming but I don't really care for 3D anyways. Just want something with better color/picture quality in a 27" size that's better than my Hanns-G/Hannspree 27" (the 120Hz is a bonus, but I'd be downgrading from 1920x1200 -> 1920x1080, oh well).

As far as color, from what I've read, the Samsung takes the cake. Input lag is middle of the pack.

I'm concerned about the lack of DVI-D input on this model however. Does anyone know if you can still get 120hz via a HDMI 1.4 or DVI->HDMI 1.4 cable using this model?

Back