15" Laptop suggestion for friend -- Good screen, quiet, cool

OrangeWolf

Gawd
Looking into some laptops to recommend for a friend of mine.

She has no need of discrete graphics. She isn't sure what her budget, since she's not sure what computers cost in general, is but she'd rather not pay for more computer than she has a need for.

She primarily uses her computer on a lapdesk while watching TV. Uses it primarily for internet surfing, e-mail, Microsoft Office, and managing/uploading pictures (no picture editing).

Since her hardware needs are pretty basic I think she'd appreciate a nice screen more than most. Pretty sure Matte is going to be the best option, but a "good" non-matte screen (only ones I've seen I'd count as good are from Sony and Apple -- more have way, way too much glare) is an option too.

Ivy Bridge processor. HD 4000 graphics will be plenty. I don't think her needs require an i5 over an i3, so either of those works. I do want to get the newer processor though as she's likely to get 7+ years use out of this (she's had a Toshiba for that long). Since she's using it on a lapdesk I'd rather it not get hot. Prefer the fan not be ridiculously loud either.

Windows 7 strongly preferred. Numpad preferred, not required.

Budget isn't really an issue apparently, but I'd like to offer suggestions mostly in the $600-700 range. A few cheaper options (for her to consider) are good too, as well as I guess a more expensive one.

My first thought was the Dell Inspiron 5530, but I'm not sure about the screen and fan loudness. Then I considered the Lenovo Z-series (Ideapad) but can't seem to get Win7 on those any more. There's the T530 but I'm not sure she'd like the red-dot in the keyboard (also not sure of screen brightness when using it in a bright room).

Sorry for the ramble. Looking forward to any suggestions.

Will try one *bump*

15" laptop suggestions needed, priorities: good screen, runs cool/quiet, no discrete graphics, SSD preferred not required, ivy bridge cpu

When you day "good screen", it eliminates almost every PC laptop. You can can get "decent" 1080p screens in Dell Latitude, HP 8570p and Thinkpad T530. If you want a great screen, your options are Dell M4700 (with UltraSharp upgrade) or HP 8570w (with DreamColor upgrade) bot of which are workstations with discrete graphics...the screen upgrades are very expensive, but you get IPS screens with wide color gamut (and matte).

I should have been more specific -- By "good screen" I didn't mean resolution (I see no need for 1080p -- 1600x900 would be great, and even 1366x768 should be fine). I meant that I wanted it to be bright enough that it's easy to see in a high lighting situation with decent color accuracy.

I agree that IPS looks fantastic though. I have one with my X230 and it's such a beautiful screen.

Thanks for suggestions!

Will try one *bump*

15" laptop suggestions needed, priorities: good screen, runs cool/quiet, no discrete graphics, SSD preferred not required, ivy bridge cpu

Look into the Lenovos or HP Elitebook series, perhaps one of the Dell Latitudes. All 3 are business class laptops that are built solidly, run quiet, and perform well.

I should have been more specific -- By "good screen" I didn't mean resolution (I see no need for 1080p -- 1600x900 would be great, and even 1366x768 should be fine). I meant that I wanted it to be bright enough that it's easy to see in a high lighting situation with decent color accuracy.

I agree that IPS looks fantastic though. I have one with my X230 and it's such a beautiful screen.

Thanks for suggestions!

Well, high res and decent colors/viewing angles are pretty much linked. As you mentioned, I think Sony had an inexpensive 15" laptop with IPS screen recently. I can try to track it down for you if you can't find it.

What are the reasons for 15" and Windows 7?

Windows 8 can do everything Windows 7 can. If you don't like the Metro interface don't use it, the normal desktop is still there. So I wouldn't make that much of a criteria at all.

As far as screen size, is 15" firm or will 13" work? You open up quite a few options for a good IPS display if you can go to a 13" Ultrabook. Asus has been putting some really nice screens in their Zenbook Ultrabooks and the HP Spectre XT has an IPS display in it.

15" because that is the size she has been using and she finds it to be the perfect size. Windows 7 because that's again what she is used to -- I guess I could look up how to turn off "Metro" in Win8 and tell her how to do it and see if she'd consider it then. I also avoided Win8 though in my new laptop and picked up Win7 again, so I can't fault that, but for her I guess it wouldn't matter much. How easy is it to turn off Metro? Just a setting to change somewhere is all?

I'll suggest the 13" Ultrabook though -- I do think that she'd enjoy the SSD and screens you can get in some of those, not to mention the battery life, but 15" seemed firm last time we spoke.

Thanks for responses so far everyone!

Back