14th Annual WCG Birthday Challenge

Gilthanis

[H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/challenge/viewTeamChallenge.do?challengeId=9145

The team has been set up.

Challenge Name:
spacer.gif
14th Birthday Challenge
spacer.gif

Created By:
spacer.gif
SETI.Germany
spacer.gif

Open Challenge?
blue-question-mark_sm.jpg
spacer.gif
Yes
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Start Date:
spacer.gif
11/16/2018
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

End Date:
spacer.gif
11/22/2018
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Challenge Type:
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Late Entrants Allowed?
spacer.gif
Yes
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Challenge Project:
spacer.gif
All Projects
spacer.gif

Bunkering is allowed and is done by pretty much all of the teams. If you need help on figuring bunkering out, please start with this thread and ask lots of questions. https://hardforum.com/threads/bunkering-why-you-should-or-should-not-do-it.1829159/ We will get you squared away.

2017 rankings - https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/challenge/viewTeamChallenge.do?challengeId=8617 - We were 4th
2016 rankings - https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/challenge/viewTeamChallenge.do?challengeId=8127 - We were 16th
2014 rankings - https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/challenge/viewTeamChallenge.do?challengeId=6833 - We were 11th

More updates will be added to this post as time goes by. Make sure to check it often.

Last edited:
Reserved for giggles.

Tips:

New hosts added may not be able to download the maximum amount of work permitted due to not being trusted. Make sure you run your host on WCG early enough to return some valid work units.

RAM speed does not really seem to matter.

WCG does not have optimized applications so older chips may perform just as well as newer chips on a PPD standpoint.

Some sub projects may perform better under Linux as much as 50% increase. (VINA based work certainly has better gains under Linux)

There is work that can run on Android devices.

Last edited:
We are just over a month away for this event. OET is ending this month from latest reports. SCC may be ending soon. However, that is still to be seen. They may have more work to add. Now is the time to start blowing the dust off of the systems that went cold for Summer months and get things ironed out. Maybe even practice some bunkering. We haven't seen many posts about how well the Thread Rippers perform. Maybe people will start posting up some numbers.

As of today there are 46 teams signed up but more will come.

As I learned the other day, WCG is a little slow to trust new hosts. So you want to run your systems a little before diving into a bunker (or starting the competition).

As I learned the other day, WCG is a little slow to trust new hosts. So you want to run your systems a little before diving into a bunker (or starting the competition).

What this means is that when you first attach a new host to the project, there is a server side limit to the number of tasks it is allowed to download. As the host returns valid work units, it will increase the number it is allowed until it hits the project hard limit per host that applies to everyone. If you return a lot of error'd work units, you can in contrast also have your limit reduced as the host is no longer trusted. So, if you have rigs you plan on adding, it would be advisable to get them up and running earlier so that you can be in full force right out of the gate.

I started running the project in preparation. Will try to get in on a couple machines just in case.

We are now less than 10 days away. For those bunkering, use smart tactics and pay attention to how many work units you are pulling. You may have to set up VM's to get enough work to last the 10 days. Also, some work is resends which typically have a 4 day deadline.

Having a bit a instability the last couple days with some new RAM, but I think I got it worked out. Adding a couple CPUs to the effort. :)

Ha! I have much less free CPU power these days it seems, but I always get the DC fever come this time of year! And it colder outside...
I'll be better prepared for the Christmas Challenge.

Well, glad you jumped in. We have been pretty active the last couple years. Unfortunately, our biggest recruiter of new people just managed to get himself banned from the forums. So, no telling how long that will last...

OK guys, we have slipped down to 14th place. We need all hands on deck for this. We have some major players in this game.

Wow, that's scary....:vamp:

If I read the last two words backwards....that's evil...:p

Yup, I'm bringing it pretty damn hard. There are more boxes I could bring online; but it's f'ing late, I'm f'ing hungry and my wife & son aren't terribly amused that I'm not home. So, yeah, the firepower I've brought to bear tonight will just have to do. ;)

Wow, that's scary....:vamp:

If I read the last two words backwards....that's evil...:p

HAHAHAHA! :ROFLMAO: You know, I've never noticed that. BTW, if you don't immediately recognize that thing, then you weren't playing in arcades back in the 80's. :D

Last edited:
The team is currently in 9th. If anyone has any extra laying around, warm it up.

We have taken 8th place from TAAT. Keep up the good work guys and keep scraping up more CPU cores.

I hope to get 1 or two more moderate rigs up soon, however my next potentially large upgrade won't be for several days at best.

Just tested the bunker technique for WCG if it is still working.

For project MIPs, Win7-2.9Ghz-4669v3 rig at 100% utilization, I'm getting close to 40 pphr. Not sure what others got lately.

upload_2018-11-18_12-59-21.png

Net connection went down over the weekend... but despite several machines not doing anything all weekend long (fuckity fuck fuck fuck) there's a pretty good amount of WUs trickling up as we "speak". Really irritated about the idle systems though. Not sure WTF happened. Probably from bringing nearly two dozen servers online at once and dropping a few balls in the process. :(

Possibly. You should also run with a cache for when you proxi takes a dump. That way they stay busy even without the internet.

Possibly. You should also run with a cache for when you proxi takes a dump. That way they stay busy even without the internet.

With the exception of a few boxes (that I k ow of; still haven't gone through all of them yet) that's what happened.

You know me, Skillz, always happy to help out if possible. Not sure if we'll be able to reel in SETI Germany in the next sixty-seven hours; but we can try! Still unreasonably upset about the idle box fiasco from earlier today. Just checked all of my little silicon babies and they're all online and churning away.

On the same machine on my earlier post but running linux for SCC, I'm getting about 75 BOINC PPhr.

upload_2018-11-20_8-27-39.png

Hmmm, our dear friends and competition hosts aren't cooperating with our overtake efforts. Not sure how much good it'll do this late in the game; but if I have time today, I might throw a few more 2P's and 4P's into the mix.

Might be what we need to gain the lead. I'm gonna get my new 1950x running tonight also.

What!?!? It wasn't already running? Where is that dislike button...

Back