14TB WD Easystore $200 @ Best Buy

Burticus

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-eas...sb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6425303.p?ref=8575135

Stolen from slickdeals. Supposedly very easy to shuck, has a WD white inside, and doesn't require any pin tricks if you're looking to bulk up your NAS.

OTOH you could load every movie in the 'verse on this thing and just plug it into your TV / rpii / PC etc

Tempting to upgrade my array but not sure if my H700 would take 14TB or not. Not willing to drop $800 to find out. Also I don't think I'm even using up 10tb yet on my current array 4x6tb.

These are easy to shuck I have done it plenty of times, but remember you might need to cover a pin with some tape to cover up one of the HDD SATA power pins or use a Molex to SATA cable to use these drives because of the +3.3v wire disabling the drive. It's discussed here. That 3.3 disable wasn't there on my 8TB Red Drives that I shucked, but as WD ( I guess ) noticed people were doing this they enabled that "feature" on the USB based drives and every one of the 10+ TB drives now need this kind of bypass. Mine are all on molex to SATA power adapters.

Last edited:
These are easy to shuck I have done it plenty of times, but remember you might need to cover a pin with some tape to cover up one of the HDD SATA power pins or use a Molex to SATA cable to use these drives because of the +3.3v wire disabling the drive. It's discussed here. That 3.3 disable wasn't there on my 8TB Red Drives that I shucked, but as WD ( I guess ) noticed people were doing this they enabled that "feature" on the USB based drives and every one of the 10+ TB drives now need this kind of bypass. Mine are all on molex to SATA power adapters.
I bought two 14TB drives early this year...or late last year? Either way, they were easy to shuck and I did not have to do the power tape trick.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-eas...sb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6425303.p?ref=8575135

Stolen from slickdeals. Supposedly very easy to shuck, has a WD white inside, and doesn't require any pin tricks if you're looking to bulk up your NAS.

OTOH you could load every movie in the 'verse on this thing and just plug it into your TV / rpii / PC etc

Tempting to upgrade my array but not sure if my H700 would take 14TB or not. Not willing to drop $800 to find out. Also I don't think I'm even using up 10tb yet on my current array 4x6tb.
Pretty sure I have a H700 and have two 14TB drives in it.

Pretty sure I have a H700 and have two 14TB drives in it.
Good to know! I'll probably need to update the firmware, I was hesitant to mess with it since it's doing it's job just fine with the current setup.

Thanks, grabbed one. I need a big drive for my ever growing digital library of vintage games, especially for PlayStation 2 images.

Your H700 will support it.

Source: I just popped a 16Tb RAID 1 array in mine.

1670959275078.png

I'm hoping these will still be available for this price after Xmas. Buying stuff for myself right now is frowned upon.

On the one hand, I could get rid of 3 or 4 different usb hdd's to consolidate into this one.... OTOH, $$$

I'm hoping these will still be available for this price after Xmas. Buying stuff for myself right now is frowned upon.

On the one hand, I could get rid of 3 or 4 different usb hdd's to consolidate into this one.... OTOH, $$$
This is exactly what I did. I consolidated a 4 disk 4Tb array, an external 4Tb eSATA drive, and an 8Tb WD MyBook USB drive into a nice, neat, 16Tb 2 disk array.

I don't anticipate a ton of power savings (though there will be some, going from 6 disks to 2). However, it's much neater, cleaner, and easier to manage, and leaves me 2 more bays to add internal storage in the future.

I bought two 14TB drives early this year...or late last year? Either way, they were easy to shuck and I did not have to do the power tape trick.

Yeah it's random whether a drive will have the power disable feature.

I have 3 of these in a Synology right now. No pin modifications needed there. Haven't tried in desktop. Easy to shuck.

ehh back to $239. keep watching though as I have seen the prices move by the day, or check the drop down for other sizes, when I got my 14tb drives previously they were cheaper than the 12TB ones.

These can be shucked and used without modification?

I have three of these right now in my Synology DS1019+ and they work without modification. I never used them in desktop environment.

For anyone and everyone in this thread, what are you using the storage for - I'm curious ;)

I can't imagine having 4 of these... it will be years before I fill up my 4x6tb NAS ... maybe I need to update my content to 4k 🤣

These can be shucked and used without modification?
if you're using them in a desktop and don't care about warranties like myself you can just remove the 3.3v pin from the drive.

It's back, and better yet: 18TB for $250.

https://shucks.top

damnit i hate you, now i have to buy more.. :( that 18TB price though but really want to keep all my drives the same size.

Last edited:
The bitcoin?
the crypto currency yes. I run quite a lot of them and haven't had any fail on me yet. Picked them up when they were on sale at best buy a bit before black friday iirc? You can get around best buy customer limits with a business account.

prices back up, just keep checking they play with the pricing on these quite frequently....

Back