14M Windows 10 Installs In 24 Hours

HardOCP News

[H] News
Free operating system or not, 14 million upgrade in 24 hours is pretty damn impressive. :eek:

As we’ve shared, our top priority has been ensuring that everyone has a great upgrade experience, so, we are carefully rolling out Windows 10 in phases, delivering Windows 10 first to our Windows Insiders. While we now have more than 14 million devices running Windows 10, we still have many more upgrades to go before we catch up to each of you that reserved your upgrade.

If you offer it for free, they will come.

I told all my Windows 7/8 users to image their system and "upgrade" to Windows 10. Why not, it's free. They can always go back to Windows 7 and install Windows 10 at a later time.

In the coming months this is going to be the largest OS process ever for any platform, including mobile devices. A lot of risk involved in something like this but so far it's gone as well I think as it could have. Far from trouble free but overall it's working.

This is the kind of news that Microsoft was certainly hoping for and I imagine they'll keep touting these numbers if they remain this good. Not sure how the burn rate will proceed but I'm thinking in the realm of 1.5 million a day on average for the rest of this year which would be somewhere around 200 million upgrades by end of the year.

Lets be real here.

Thats 14 million install ATTEMPTS in 24 hours.

It took me 4.

I am getting the message that they're validating Windows 10 for my PC. I will upgrade as soon as the wizard lets me

If you offer it for free, they will come.

I told all my Windows 7/8 users to image their system and "upgrade" to Windows 10. Why not, it's free. They can always go back to Windows 7 and install Windows 10 at a later time.

I don't mind you doing that but have you also alerted them on the many many privacy options and things you can not avoid where Windows 7/(8?) was pretty "easy".

I tried installing it on my desktop and kept having intel integrated graphics drivers BSODs. Ultimately went back to reinstalling 7.

Then I tried again on my 8.1 laptop, and found that 10 booted up 2x slower and kept hanging randomly. Bunch of driver kinks so I downgraded back to 8.1. I'm gonna personally hold off until they get more drivers sorted out.

Ironically, I fresh installed 10 on my 4 yr old desktop and it is blazing fast.

Update was cake on my Surface Pro 3 yesterday. Reserved, two hours later I was prompted to install, clicked go, went to lunch.

Liking windows 10 so far.

Hi, I know this has probably been asked a lot before.... After the first "free" year of windows 10, then do you have to pay full retail price to keep using it? Its only free for the first year right?

it's not free. it's free for the first year. and all kinds of data gets collected and mirrored into the cloud. how is that free?

Hi, I know this has probably been asked a lot before.... After the first "free" year of windows 10, then do you have to pay full retail price to keep using it? Its only free for the first year right?

No, it's free for the life of the device in case of upgrading an OEM license. For upgrading a retail license it's free to install on any one device at a time as long as 10 is supported.

Yep, that's exactly right.

a few of those attempts are also me. I upgraded, and due to the Nvidia driver issue, I had a taskbar and start button that no longer worked . But after the upgrade I did a clean install and so far win10 has been ok. I found a bug in windows media player where it doesn't like you rewinding by holding shift+Left arrow. Also, my preview pane in my videos folder keeps showing the same thumbnail of the same video even when I highlight or even play another video file.

Nope. Free is free. Depending on your license (OEM is life of device, Retail is transferable to other devices - one at a time). But, once you upgrade for free, you're good. After a year, still free. If it's still going after 5 years - still free.

A lot of people have multiple attempts. I think that's making people more angry than anything.

"Something Happened" is the vague error it gives. Many others have extremely easy upgrades and it just works.

It's probably successful activation numbers.

Upgraded from Winodws 7 last night. No problems other than needing to enlarge my recovery partition. Box is noticeably faster and interface seems pretty intuitive. Wife didn't have any problems figuring things out for herself this morning which is a very good sign. Loving Xbox music working with Sonos now.

I like my system as it is right now Win 7.... if you forum guys could throw me any good reasons to upgrade I'm all ears.

I've been waiting patiently for the past three days and still no download. Got a notice that it would be between 2 days and 2 weeks before I got my download notice.

Microsoft has already made their position clear on Windows 10, it's free and so are the updates for as long as the OS is supported. No fee ever.

Nice, I' gonna go with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" for my Windows 7 media computer and my Windows 8.1 Laptop. They aren't updating my Windows 7 work PC to 10 anytime soon it seems.

Nice, I' gonna go with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" for my Windows 7 media computer and my Windows 8.1 Laptop. They aren't updating my Windows 7 work PC to 10 anytime soon it seems.

Same here, though I am building up an image just in case we want to start testing.

Lets be real here.

Thats 14 million install ATTEMPTS in 24 hours.

It took me 4.
Doesn't make sense. Since the license is tied to unique HW configuration, the only way for it to validate in the future if something has changed is to report that unique HW data to Microsoft. Instead of doing 'attempts', why not active activations (rather than failed ones)? Considering how extensive telemetry in Microsoft products have been as of recent years, they would have a number for failed installs.

I installed it on my laptop but got this: Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart: kernel_data_inpage error...amdppm.sys
Then it automatically reboot's and continues to the desktop.
Currently working with a MS-MVP moderator in the Microsoft community forums. Fingers crossed

I like my system as it is right now Win 7.... if you forum guys could throw me any good reasons to upgrade I'm all ears.

It's faster than 7. Several features are baked in like native ISO mounting (8 and 10 do this, but not 7). Cortana is kind of neat. DX12 if you are a gamer. Windows Hello, if you have or plan to get a supported device.

As far as upgrading goes... I'll give you my boiler plate response. While upgrading is fine, if you have a working install of Windows on your system and it's working properly, you are probably better off waiting until you get a new system, or you need to reinstall windows.

I backed up my 8.1 install (my primary desktop machine) and did the in place upgrade. It went as expected. Everything is functioning except for the Connector software to my 2012 Essentials server. I knew that was going to happen and there is a work around anyway.

I haven't tested 100% of my software yet, but Photoshop, Lightroom, Office 2013 (of course), Everquest 2 (and supporting software), Civ, Civ: Beyond Earth, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, Plex and a host of other things are all working normally.

I've been waiting patiently for the past three days and still no download. Got a notice that it would be between 2 days and 2 weeks before I got my download notice.

Microsoft has already made their position clear on Windows 10, it's free and so are the updates for as long as the OS is supported. No fee ever.

They are staging the roll out. It could be a while before it shows up on many PC's. That said, you can expedite things along.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can create a DVD with the download or install directly on your PC (I installed directly).

it's free to redeem the upgrade for a year. if wait more than a year to redeem the free upgrade then you'll have to pay. so image, take the update and image back if you want. just redeem your upgrade while you can.

Pretty much everyone should ignore the windows upgrade and make a USB installer.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

It avoids many of the in place upgrade problems.
+1. I always do a fresh install vs upgrade if possible. Upgrading windows feels so... dirty.

I actually thought that was by far the majority consensus in a pc savvy community such as this one. Surprised to see so many people here upgrading.

I got the upgrade on a Latitude e6400 (old C2D w/ nvs 160m GPU) yesterday evening and it did whatever fine on the first try. Everything seems to be working without any problems too, but it was one of my "collecting lots of dust in a drawer" laptops that I don't use a lot. I still haven't upgraded the Win7 netbooks and the e6320 laptop that has the tech preview...idk what I'm gonna do with it, prolly just give it away. Since I installed Win10 TP on it, I kind of stopped using it after fooling around with the new OS a little. I'd have to install the retail version (which means loading Win7 again first), install just Win7 again, or install Linux and I just don't feel like wasting all that time behind a screen again when I have working laptops that are just fine and will be for the next few years. This whole Win10 thing has been really disruptive and wasting 2-3 hours with an OS install just to keep a computer working that I'd not really use anyhow is annoying. Even if I donated it to someone, I'd still have to install an OS. *head desk*

I am thinking that if they're actually telling you two weeks then maybe your safe bet is to go ahead and wait it out.

I installed it on my laptop but got this: Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart: kernel_data_inpage error...amdppm.sys
Then it automatically reboot's and continues to the desktop.
Currently working with a MS-MVP moderator in the Microsoft community forums. Fingers crossed

That error specifically means that your HDD/SDD or your RAM is faulty.

:confused: That can be used to do in-place upgrades.

Yes, one of the very first options it gives you is to "Upgrade this PC" or similar, before it even makes you create an ISO or anything else. Everything after that is handled automatically, and it works perfect.

No reason *whatsoever* to sit back and wait for your upgrade to pop up.

Only thing that i'm interested in is DX12, but i'm gonna wait a few months for the dust to settle before upgrading.

Did you have to keep the computer connected and powered on for it to say that? Did you get an email?

I'm tempted but since my primary PC is currently a gaming laptop I think I'll wait and avoid (or postpone) the inevitable driver nightmare. At least until there's a DX12 game worth the trouble.

Back