144Hz true 8 bit 1080P Monitors

Dcode

Limp Gawd
Can anyone tell me what models are available with a 1080P resolution with true 8 bit colour depth?

All the TN ones are 6bit FRC.
You'll have to get one the new VA ones. Samsung C24FG70 or Lenovo Y27F for example

I heard the new Asus PG248Q used a true 8bit panel without FRC dithering and was interested to know if other manufactures had adopted this panel however I was not aware of the models you mentioned which sound more interesting, especially the Samsung. Thanks for the heads up.

I heard the new Asus PG248Q used a true 8bit panel without FRC dithering and was interested to know if other manufactures had adopted this panel however I was not aware of the models you mentioned which sound more interesting, especially the Samsung. Thanks for the heads up.

Acer XB241H is using the same panel and costs quite a bit less. These should be 8bit but they aren't the best panels I've seen otherwise, the gammashift is a bit more noticeable than avg TN panel and it suffers a bit uneven white point (yellowness at the upper-left corner very typical when it looks white'ish in the rest of the screen, the odds of a non-issue screen is roughly like the ASUS PG279Q when it comes to BLB, I'd expect avg consumer to go through 2-4 samples before getting a satisfying one). But yea colors are good in the middle part of the screen. Also the panel handles the overclocked refresh rate poorly, introducing often interlace kind of looking artifacts and the contrast ratio takes a huge hit (I think it was like ~636:1 at 180Hz which is well below my tolerance level even for "hardcore" gaming, ~750:1(+) preferable) so with that in mind it's recommended to use at 144Hz (980~1000:1 depending brightness setting) or max 160Hz (850:1). With that in mind I see the ASUS one way too overpriced as it's more like a 144-160Hz or so useable screen, above that it's not really worth using anyway. On the good side it has very low input lag and response time though (without overdrive artefacts) but there's just too many compromises for what is a premium priced 24"/1080 TN panel.

Last edited:
I don't believe the PG248Q is 8-bit. The Pcmonitors review mentioned that temporal dithering was visible in a few tests, but well masked.
The upcoming 240Hz panels (24.5'' and 27'') are currently listed as 6bit+Hi-FRC on panelook, so it appears the 1440p remain the only 8-bit TN panels for a while.
All the VA panels (except HKC X3) and probably also the 34UC97G IPS should use 8-bit panels.The FG2421 is 8-bit+FRC.

Last edited:
Back