144hz monitor

vortexware

Weaksauce
I have 2 computers with 2 monitors that can do 144hz, one computer uses a DVI dual link connector and has the 144hz option when i look in Nvidia as well as display settings, my secondary computer with the same exact DVI dual link cable and same brand monitor "VIOTEK" does not see the 144hz option, the only way i can make it to run in 144hz i have to create a custom resolution using the 144hz and do the test, it passes and the 144hz is working. Any reason why my secondary computer is not seeing the 144hz? Only difference between the monitors is that one is a 30" curved and the other one is a 35" ultrawide, the secondary computer i do have multiple monitors but that shouldn't affect that, should i use a display port?

Could be DVI-I vs DVI-D maybe? But since you said it's the same cable I'm not sure.

Yes, use DisplayPort. Always use DisplayPort when possible. Use a quality cable too. I did some research a few years ago when I got my first DP monitor and this was a well recommended cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z05JMKO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (not sure if it's still considered good or if something is better). Still works great for me even with my newer 2560 x 1440 144hz FreeSync panel.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What video cards are in each PC? Both of these monitors have DisplayPort inputs, so there is no reason to not use them unless your video cards do not have DisplayPort outputs.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the DVI output on the video card steals bandwidth from the other outputs if it's in use. So if one PC is using multiple monitors I would look into a MST hub, but most modern video cards come with at least three DisplayPort Type-A outputs unless the AIB included DVI, so that should not be necessary.

As stated above use the Displayport for the best quality. Also, since both monitor are the same and the only thing that could likely be different about the two is video card. This is likely the reason why you're not able to see 144hz from the other machine by default.

Back