144Hz IPS-type Panels Finally On Their Way! 1440p as Well!

ScabSE

n00b
Below we bring you some news from AU Optronics about some of their forthcoming panels. Surely of most interest is a new 27" panel (M270DAN02.3) currently in development which will be based on AUO's AHVA panel technology, equivalent to LG.Display's IPS and with very similar performance characteristics. This is a 27" panel with a 2560 x 1440 resolution, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 350 cd/m2 brightness, sRGB gamut and 178/178 viewing angles. Nothing special you might think - wrong! This will be the first IPS-type panel to natively support 144Hz refresh rate, something buyers have been crying out for for a long time! 144Hz AHVA and 2560 x 1440 resolution, we can't wait!
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/31.htm#144hz_ips

“@KrakenLr: oh I hope it has g-sync!” that's an additional module the monitor manuf add later, so we expect someone will at some point
https://twitter.com/TFTCentral/status/508625018373537792

Exciting times! If this and the other panels mentioned in the article are indeed going into production as early as this october then there appears to be potential for some very exciting displays in the not-so-distant future.

If I cant have both then I would rather have gsync than a 144hz refresh rate. Some games cant even run above 60 fps anyway where as gsync will be useful in basically all games.

Nothing special unfortunately

144hz specs doesn't mean anyone will actually combine it with 144hz electronics
I believe their last 120hz VA panel was only actually driven with 120hz in a single monitor
All other manufacturers just bundled it with 60hz electronics

Also selling an IPS panel as "AHVA" is extremely misleading towards people that don't keep themselves well informed

Personally I'd rather have a IPS 4k 60Hz Gsync monitor, but I wouldn't complain about the one in the OP ;). Pushing past 60 fps at 4k isn't really something to strive for with current gpus.

Need to know more about the pixel response times. Nonetheless is still a step in the right direction.

Finally! Although 1440p is too expensive for me to maintain at high fps so waiting for 1080p variants. :p Guess this one will be like $900.

What I want is a FreeSync monitor, and I want it soon. Otherwise I will be dumping my AMD cards and going nVidia for the first time in 5 years.

Personally I'd rather have a IPS 4k 60Hz Gsync monitor, but I wouldn't complain about the one in the OP ;). Pushing past 60 fps at 4k isn't really something to strive for with current gpus.

This.

unless this has an extremely low response time, it's not going to come anywhere close to competing with the korean panels already available. looking at the pg278q, i wouldn't be surprised at a $1,000+ pricetag on a monitor from a big manufacturer using this panel, which would be laughable considering you can get a guaranteed 120 Hz korean panel for <$700.

This is nice!
I'd pay any dollar for a quality 4k with g-sync. 60hz or 144hz doesn't matter.

I believe their last 120hz VA panel was only actually driven with 120hz in a single monitor

Eizo 2421 uses sharp panel which is their modification of VA not AUO panel.

Nothing special unfortunately

144hz specs doesn't mean anyone will actually combine it with 144hz electronics

Also selling an IPS panel as "AHVA" is extremely misleading towards people that don't keep themselves well informed

Where does it say they are IPS monitors? That article says ahva (ips-type).

Unless they can get pixel response time fast and accurate enough 144Hz would be useless and unusable due to ghosting. I already think that 120Hz is pushing IPS and VA panels too far. If you want a monitor with a high refresh rate, then you should be willing to take the compromises of a TN panel for low motion blur because I'm assuming that you would want such specs for gaming purposes.

If they can do what Sharp did with the FG2421 and without buggering it up like Eizo motion blur won't be a problem.

1440p at 144Hz with an IP-S panel? YES PLESE!!!

Of course, I'll have to wait until 24" versions are sub-$300...you know, in like 5+ years. And that's if they catch on with widespread popularity.

Where does it say they are IPS monitors? That article says ahva (ips-type).
VA panels are used because of their superior contrast and black levels compared to IPS
But their "AHVA" panel only has a contrast of 1000:1

VA panels are used because of their superior contrast and black levels compared to IPS
But their "AHVA" panel only has a contrast of 1000:1

That's because AHVA is their equivalent to ips and so has similar specs and performance. AMVA is their other technology which is VA type and has higher contrast ratios

well the chinese hkc x3 is 144hz and has ~5000:1 contrast ratio. I think it's the same panel as the eizo fg2421's

If AOU can make IPS panels with at least less than 6ms pixel response time (on all transitions) - it's a real breakthrough. Over the last 5 years LG's IPS had like zero progress in this.

If AOU can make IPS panels with at least less than 6ms pixel response time (on all transitions) - it's a real breakthrough. Over the last 5 years LG's IPS had like zero progress in this.

Don't count on it. I love the colors and contrast ratios on VA monitors, but fast, they are not.

taken from the TFTCentral news piece

Note: to clear up any confusion, the panel being discussed is an AU Optronics AHVA technology (Advanced Hyper Viewing-Angle), as opposed to their AMVA (Advanced Multi-Domain Vertical Alignment). AHVA is their equivalent to LG.Display's IPS (In Plane Switching) technology, as is Samsung's PLS (Plane to Line Switching). Both were designed as a competing alternative. All 3 technologies (AHVA, IPS, PLS) are very similar in characteristics and performance in practice, and are often simply labelled as "IPS" by manufacturers. This is why we refer to them as IPS-type in this news piece.

Sounds promising, after getting my first 144Hz monitor I'll never go back 60Hz. When it comes to gaming, even casual gaming the difference is simply stunning. Personally I'm hoping we see even higher refresh rates in the near future. More resolution is nice and all, but now that 1440p is becoming more and more main stream, I think that a higher refresh rate is more important than moving up to 4K resolutions unless your only working with static images.

Sounds promising, after getting my first 144Hz monitor I'll never go back 60Hz. When it comes to gaming, even casual gaming the difference is simply stunning. Personally I'm hoping we see even higher refresh rates in the near future. More resolution is nice and all, but now that 1440p is becoming more and more main stream, I think that a higher refresh rate is more important than moving up to 4K resolutions unless your only working with static images.

Word

I know everyone says that there's a big difference between 60 Hz and 96 Hz let alone 120 Hz. But how about between 120 Hz and 144 Hz?

These monitors will have faster pixel response times than the overclock-able Korean monitors since they are designed to run at high hz and use newer panels. There is no point in considering the tiny increases 144hz can offer vs. the 120hz overclock-able Korean monitors since these will not be available until next year (Spring at the earliest since AUO is starting production this month), will be matte (semi-glossy) and cost twice as much as the overclock-able Korean monitors. Comparisons are pointless.

I know everyone says that there's a big difference between 60 Hz and 96 Hz let alone 120 Hz. But how about between 120 Hz and 144 Hz?

Despite everybody's sarcastic responses, I find the difference between 120Hz and 144Hz noticeable, and I can imagine how much better motion would look in the 200Hz+ range. With resolutions quickly reaching our perceivable limits, I bet we'll start seeing refresh rates climb to where they too are reaching their perceivable limits. I'd say we have a long ways to go there, it certainly doesn't stop at 144Hz.

official 144Hz IPS panel means that door for G-Sync are open
expensive as hell (much more than Asus ROG) but doable :D

It's actually not really pixel response times that need to improve, but overall input latency.

That's the THE biggest problem right now. IPS/AVHA screens typically get paired with slow-ass controllers that produce overall latencies of around ~20mx on average, even today.

4-6ms pixel response means fuck-all if the screen's taking a day and an age to actually get that picture displayed on the panel.

BenQ recently announced an IPS gaming monitor. Not a new panel screen actually, but new controller giving it fast overall response time.

One of the big reasons why 120hz screens feel so much snappier is that manufacturers will pair them with more expensive fast controllers that do the panel justice. Not worth the added costs at 60hz in their eyes (I beg to differ, as does BenQ apparently).

That's completly separate issue to motion resolution of screens as it affects feeling of gameplay and not what your eyes see.

And honestly when every single 1440p screen on the market with multiple inputs and scaller have around 20ms input lag it's rather obvious that there are no alternative controlers that would be faster.

There are dozens of 1080p IPS/VA screens that have sub 10 ms input lag.

Also there's nothing to suggest that 27" Benq have reduced input lag. What they are talking about is pixel responce time.

These monitors will have faster pixel response times than the overclock-able Korean monitors since they are designed to run at high hz and use newer panels. There is no point in considering the tiny increases 144hz can offer vs. the 120hz overclock-able Korean monitors since these will not be available until next year (Spring at the earliest since AUO is starting production this month), will be matte (semi-glossy) and cost twice as much as the overclock-able Korean monitors. Comparisons are pointless.

Despite everybody's sarcastic responses, I find the difference between 120Hz and 144Hz noticeable, and I can imagine how much better motion would look in the 200Hz+ range. With resolutions quickly reaching our perceivable limits, I bet we'll start seeing refresh rates climb to where they too are reaching their perceivable limits. I'd say we have a long ways to go there, it certainly doesn't stop at 144Hz.
Thank you for legit answers. I was looking at a relative (percentage) improvement factor and going from 120 to 144 doesn't seem like it would be that much more noticeable to the human eye. But apparently it is. I wish there was a way I could see in person, but I doubt my local Best Buy store would have such a monitor.

I remember when 120 Hz TVs came out and watching it was so much more different than 60 Hz TVs. Then 240 Hz TVs came out and I didn't see much of an improvement over 120 Hz. So that's kind of what I was imagining monitors to be from 60 to 96/120 to 144.

You also have to factor in differences in eyesight - what is visible to someone might be hardly noticable to other people as everyone has diffrent eyes.

Don't count on it. I love the colors and contrast ratios on VA monitors, but fast, they are not.

For many years now VA panels have surpassed IPS panels in speed. Dont know why this isnt the case in most monitors but in TV world the 3DTVs with active shutter glasses tech require at least 120hz panels minimum and they have all been some kind of VA panel so far. IPS ones are all stuck on passive 3D. But even amongst monitors, it was the Sharp VA used in Eizo monitor that first broke into 120hz. Korean "overclockable" IPS monitors cannot reach that number. VA can be really fast if they just want to make one.

Anyway, this is good news. I hate IPS low contrast ratio but its still better than the distracting TN vertical gamma shift. Unless Eizo gets more competition for better prices or at least new models with bigger screen I might even consider buying one.

I hope you're right, but TFT Central's panel database is listing this one as having the same 12ms GTG response time as all other 2560x1440 AHVA 2560x1440 monitors.

Did you hear something more official about the response time, or are you just assuming? The H-IPS panel in my Overlord Tempest is rated at 6ms GTG...

For many years now VA panels have surpassed IPS panels in speed. Dont know why this isnt the case in most monitors but in TV world the 3DTVs with active shutter glasses tech require at least 120hz panels minimum and they have all been some kind of VA panel so far. IPS ones are all stuck on passive 3D. But even amongst monitors, it was the Sharp VA used in Eizo monitor that first broke into 120hz. Korean "overclockable" IPS monitors cannot reach that number. VA can be really fast if they just want to make one.

Anyway, this is good news. I hate IPS low contrast ratio but its still better than the distracting TN vertical gamma shift. Unless Eizo gets more competition for better prices or at least new models with bigger screen I might even consider buying one.

VA aren't faster than IPS, they are similar / VA slightly slower, VA has some slow transitions whereas IPS is more consistent, TN is much faster than both but the image quality makes them not even worth looking at.

I hope you're right, but TFT Central's panel database is listing this one as having the same 12ms GTG response time as all other 2560x1440 AHVA 2560x1440 monitors.

Did you hear something more official about the response time, or are you just assuming? The H-IPS panel in my Overlord Tempest is rated at 6ms GTG...

The panels themselves are very commonly around the 12ms mark, it's then when the manufacturers add the overdrive circuits that response times get boosted lower but that can vary. Hopefully the panel is capable of being pushed to much lower real life response times.

Also although the Korean models have adventurous specs like 6ms all the real measurements I've seen show they are much slower than that in practice and don't live up to the spec at all

^I agree, though I don't ever recall seeing a professional response time test on one of the OC-able monitors

Specifications are worthless, and the new AUO panels will likely be marketed as 3-5ms monitors. Both PRAD and Playerwares measured Korean monitors pixel response times with oscilloscope.

Playerwares: Yamakasi & Crossover 2720MDP
vs.
BenQ GW2765HT and LG 27MB85R-B

The fast name brand monitors are obviously faster, which is what I observed when comparing monitors like the AOC Q2770PQU, Asus PB278Q (AHVA version) BenQ BL2710PT, Samsung S27D850T to many Korean monitors (Crossover 2720MDP, MOTV/Yamakasi Catleap and Qnix/X-Star PLS which are the slowest). The MOTV/Yamakasi use the same panel as the Overlord.

AHVA PB278Q/PB278QR vs. Qnix

Last edited:
Back