1440p worth the upgrade?

H-street

Supreme [H]ardness
I know I know.. late to the game as always..

I have been on 1080p forever and am fairly satisfied with it..

I just started to think about maybe getting a 1440p monitor and wanted to see what others thoughts were on if it really is worth it?

current specs are like a 4670k and a GTX 1070 so I'm not too worried about performance but one of the things I like about 1080p is I never have to worry about it.. everything just performs well on it

Very much worth it. The ~80% bump in pixels make games so much crisper, and is also great for productivity.

Regarding performance, I think this video conveys my opinion on the matter:

Basically resolution and texture settings are king in how good current games look. 1440p low/medium/high over 1080p ultra any day of the week for me

I went from 1080p to 1440p years ago (with a GTX780) and never looked back. It is a big difference IMO.

You will take a slight hit on FPS if you leave your settings maxed like you did with 1080p but overall the 1070 should give you 50-60FPS in most games with very high settings with the 1070. Plus the higher res you can back off on some of the AA/AF settings. If you can find a panel with Gsync it would be a bonus, but you pay a premium for it.

I recently went to UW 3440x1440p and can't believe I waited this long. Unless you are competitive gaming and need max FPS, I would never go back to 1080p.

I think its worth the upgrade. I went from a 28" 1920x1200 to a 34" 3440x1440 monitor and it was truly sweet. Each person has to decide for themselves if its worth it or not. Its not that 1080p is bad its just there are nicer choices now. You may need to upgrade your GPU however if you go up in resolution. That's probably the biggest downside to it. Extra costs.

thanks for the replies.. I may try and find a decent prices 1440p..

It made a HUGE difference for me, to the point that I ended up selling my old 120Hz BenQ because I love my 1440p iiyama so much.

The one thing I'll point out is that if you're going to invest the money to get a really nice display like that... Save up a little extra and get one with G-sync. You'll thank yourself later.

(Also, don't sell your current monitor. It annoys me almost every day to not have a second monitor anymore; it makes such an enormous difference when it comes to productivity, and is super nice to have when you're gaming, too.)

For some statistical reference. I went from a 1080p 27" to a 4k 40" and the pixel density went from 81ppi to 93 PPI. It was a noticeable difference no matter the resolution settings. Although that monitor wasn't a good performer, when it worked, it was a beautiful display in terms of the pixel density and sharpness. I've since gone down to a 1440p 32" which still has a higher density of 91 PPI (on par with the 40" 4k).

My work monitor is a Dell U2415 24" 1440p (122 PPI). Unquestionably the sharpest with the most vibrant colors, but a bit small outside of work related stuff. It really depends on the size though. I think anything between 90-140 PPI will be perfect for normal desktop viewing distance. I still think my older Dell 27" 1080p monitor is great and is fast enough for games and cinema. The color and contrast accuracy is much more important to me once the monitor falls into that pixel density range. Some monitors may offer sharp resolution, but horrible color accuracy, or washed out brightness. This to me ruins the experience 100%.

But i do feel you can reach a better median of performance and quality with higher resolution monitors. With the 4k 40" screen i was able to get a relative quality accuracy as the 1080p monitor with lower video game settings (medium/high) to maintain frame rate and loading times. Lowering the resolution scale doesn't hurt nearly as much either with the 4k screen, giving that extra bit of performance and still keep decent quality.

Last edited:
went from 1080 to 1440 and love it. I did have to upgrade to a 1080ti as in my main game CSGO I couldn't run max settings and keep a pegged 299fps which is something I wanted. I had a 1070GTX Asus Strix before and it was good, but would occasionally dip to lower 200's in very rare instances. I can tell when it drops as models skip a bit when fps changes too much. 99.9% of people wouldn't notice it though or be that critical of their experience.

I think it would be. I've been gaming on a 27" 1080 screen and it's great but I can see way too many jagged pixels for my comfort. During gameplay I dont notice them but if I'm just wandering around exploring then they're more noticeable. I'm thinking of moving up to a 1440 27' screen myself eventually.

went from 1080 to 1440 and love it. I did have to upgrade to a 1080ti as in my main game CSGO I couldn't run max settings and keep a pegged 299fps which is something I wanted. I had a 1070GTX Asus Strix before and it was good, but would occasionally dip to lower 200's in very rare instances. I can tell when it drops as models skip a bit when fps changes too much. 99.9% of people wouldn't notice it though or be that critical of their experience.

299fps...really:meh:

Going from 1080p to 1440p IMO makes a bigger difference than 1440p to 4K. Even though the jump in res doesn't seem so big, you get a lot more detail on screen. Your 1070 will run this res really well.

Back