1440p overlocked display and GPU without DVI out? help?

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
I have an Overlord 1440p display that ONLY has a single DL-DVI-D input. Recently, I sidegraded to an RX480 GPU without realizing that the card didn't have a DVI port (nor did it come with any adapters). HDMI and Display port ONLY.

So now that I'm stuck with a headless workstation, I've been reading all about this and it looks like (if I understand it correctly), the ONLY way I'll be able to get it to work is with an active DP to DVI-D adapter... and even then, it has a very limited pixel clock which will effect the ability to overclock it... and on top of that, it costs 100.00

That, IMO, is way too much money to spend on something that's nothing more than a band-aid. At this point I'm considering just selling the monitor and getting something new.... but before I do that I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has had any luck with a similar problem. Does anyone know of a cheap adapter that works well with the Korean/Overlord OC panels?

Or likewise, does anyone know if it's possible to overclock via HDMI? I was under the impression that HDMI locks refresh rates. But an HDMI 2.0 to DL-DVI-D adapter should theoretically have more than enough bandwidth and much cheaper than an active DP adapter.

edit: and I should mention, but doubt it would help, I do have another AMD GPU laying around (a very basic GPU just so I could use this machine while waiting for the new 480). I don't suppose it's possible to use that as the display output while still using the 480 for processing? (I really doubt that but worth asking)

Last edited:
which 480 did you get?
Can offer you my evga gtx 770 sc w/ ACX cooelr + 100 bucks for your 480 ;) If you want to use that 770 until you get your new card

Back