1440P IPS displays are not thin. Why?

LittleTinyScooby

Limp Gawd
It's been a while since I've shopped for displays but I noticed that the 27 inch 2560x1440 Catleaps and the Auria EQ276W are ridiculously thick compared to say the newer 27 inch AOC IPS 1920x1080 displays.

Is there something about 2560x1440 at 27 inches that requries these IPS displays to be so much thicker than the 27 inch 1920x1080 IPS displays such as the AOC model below?

Any idea when we can expect a 27 inch 2560x1440 IPS display to be as thin as the 27 inch AOC I257FH IPS display? Just curious. thanks

http://us.aoc.com/monitor_displays/i2757fh

981982b8390e6760f6360d8ebe188826_large.png

Last edited:
It all depends on where the electronics are housed. All of these super thin displays have all of the electronics housed in the base, usually.

Is there something about 2560x1440 at 27 inches that requries these IPS displays to be so much thicker than the 27 inch 1920x1080 IPS displays such as the AOC model below?

Thicker displays tend to have fewer issues with uneven backlighting, since there is more room to diffuse the light. Large, very thin displays they tend to end up with clouding if they are ever jostled too hard because of components warping very slightly.

As TheGamerZ said, space may also be used to house the electronics. In high-end displays this also gives some breathing room for the lighting and electronics, letting them run cooler and last longer.

Any idea when we can expect a 27 inch 2560x1440 IPS display to be as thin as the 27 inch AOC I257FH IPS display? Just curious. thanks

Any particular reason you want a thin display? I have a Catleap that's about 2.5 inches deep, on a stand that's about 12 inches deep. Once desktop panels get below 4-5 inches deep it's the stand that really matters for placement.

I have also read that there are some lower coast LED backlight variants that have some thickness to them, fortunately or unfortunately.

Manufacturers/assemblers would use them in their builds to save money, and they still get to boast that it's "LED" with it's lower heat and reduced power usage.

Higher pixel densities require brighter backlights, as more light is blocked off by the pixel boundaries.

The electronics add to a monitors thickness. That AOC isn't as thin as you've been led to believe. The electronics in the lower quarter bulge outwards, making it at least an inch thick. Couple this with rear facing cables and your overall distance from a wall is no better than a "thick" display.

The Samsung S27B970D isn't that thick, less then an inch, all of the connections are in the base.

from the pictures of dissassembled shimians on http://www.overclock.net/t/1228062/achieva-shimian-monitor-club/2010 i notice that the PCBs from koreans are small and slim, but with chokers and caps. The caps can add up to 1/3 of an inch to the thickness.
Most of the thickness on the koreans comes from the metal assembly. The AOC may look thinner, but being only 1080p it has a lot less heat to dissipate from the PCBs. And the thickers koreans have solid metal casing.:cool:

Any particular reason you want a thin display? I have a Catleap that's about 2.5 inches deep, on a stand that's about 12 inches deep. Once desktop panels get below 4-5 inches deep it's the stand that really matters for placement.

I guess it's not that important it be so thin. I guess, mainly because the thinner usually means lighter as well.

I ended up just picking up one of the EQ276W displays and after using it for a day it's not 'too' thick I guess. However, the bevel\bezel is way bigger than I would prefer. I usually like lighter displays because I have been making due with some older Ergotron DS100's. I've been pushing the limits of these tri-panel mounts and so I'm always hoping for lighter displays but I think I have outgrown the mounts a bit. Another thing with the DS100 is even though it supposedly can hold 30 pound displays, it is designed to be used with smaller 30 pound displays. So, even putting a 15 to 20 pound large widescreen display on the 2 ends is pushing the specs a bit. Right now I have it as the center display though and the DS100 seems to be fine with it that way.

So far I really like the resolution of this display though. Windows 7 detects it as a generic monitor. What drivers are you guys using for it under Windows 7?

I have it paired with a GTX-570, using a DVI dual link cable.

I hate the fact that they store the components in the base... so much for mounting this stuff on arms :(

So the new Imac's are coming out, and the 27 inch version is razor thin.

This is kind of why I started this thread.

How long until we can get something this thin for our PC's?

http://gizmodo.com/5953775/apples-new-imacs-are-crazy-thin

" The new models are 80 percent thinner (just 5mm) and about eight pounds lighter than their predecessors. We didn't anticipate a redesign, but they're incredibly beautiful from what we can see. Apple will offer iMacs in 21.5-inch and 27-inch versions, the latter of which has a resolution of 2560 by 1440."

There is nothing technologically superior about thinner displays, only aesthetics. Give me backlighting over edge lighting any day.

Leave it to the marketing people to push an inferior product.

I have been using multi displays for a very long time and I think the thinner and lighter the displays become, the easier it is to deal with mounting solutions, not to mention, the smaller bevels\bezels help make multi display setups look so much more nicer. Less huge borders in between the screens to deal with.

Anyone know when we will be able to purchase a standalone IPS display that is as thin as the new iMacs?

There is nothing technologically superior about thinner displays, only aesthetics. Give me backlighting over edge lighting any day.

Leave it to the marketing people to push an inferior product.

This is the hint- CCFL back-lighting over LED edge-lighting every day of the week. You want it to look stylish? Sacrifice image quality. You want image quality? Expect a thicker display. You want both? Open your wallet!

Apple is no doubt using some quality LED lighting, and design is their strong point. They don't make the panels, so you may put some hope in other manufacturers doing something similar for stand-alone panels in the future.

I haven't even touched on the fact that speakers integrated into such a thin display sound terrible. This is true of televisions too, which is one of many reasons I avoid thin LED TV's. And don't get me started on 16:9 vs 16:10.

Sometimes I think the public is just too gullible.

I haven't even touched on the fact that speakers integrated into such a thin display sound terrible. This is true of televisions too, which is one of many reasons I avoid thin LED TV's. And don't get me started on 16:9 vs 16:10.

It'd be silly to not try to use them, as TV speakers are usually more than good enough for regular TV watching, but wouldn't you always have external speakers on the docket? Built-in speakers just aren't [H] :).

Even though I consider myself to be a minimalist, I would never want to use built in speakers on tv's. Maybe occasionally on a monitor for certain reasons, like testing the speakers to make sure they work. :)

Apple is no doubt using some quality LED lighting, and design is their strong point. They don't make the panels, so you may put some hope in other manufacturers doing something similar for stand-alone panels in the future.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Does anyone know who makes the new iMac displays so we can hound out the company to find out when they will start to release stand alone monitors we can use on our pc's?

Someone must be in the know on this. Although, the more I look into it, the more I can see they aren't quite as thin as the marketing people make them out to be (they bulge quite a bit in the back of the display):

New iMac thin-ness a mirage:
http://mashable.com/2012/10/23/new-imac-video/

new-imacs.jpg

Last edited:
Back