1440p IPS and G-Sync monitors doing my head in...

oblongpolygon

Weaksauce
I can't seem to find a 2560p x 1440p IPS and G-Sync monitor with the right set of strengths.

I now know this isn't newsworthy - choosing monitors is really about compromising - balancing / weighing various strengths against weaknesses.

So maybe I'm just venting... but still hoping someone will relate, and if so what they're doing, or be able to suggest a path forward.

Maybe I don't need to be so attached to G-Sync specifically - I can't work that bit out. It reads as if recent NVIDIA cards can now make use of FreeSync panels in the way that they would have made use of G-Sync panels previously. Correct me if wrong.

Anyway, my "research" has got me thinking...

The LG 27GL850 has some great reviews, but really suffers in some key respects. And no G-Sync module either. But somehow, that reviewer and others still call it the best monitor of the year.

Meanwhile, another new-ish monitor, the ASUS VG27AQ is criticized for its poor ELMB implementation, creating "double strobbing" which one reviewer says, was making his eyes, and brain, hurt.

Then there's the refresh of the PG279Q, a well regarded monitor, now the PG279QE... but maybe it's just the same, four-year-old panel as the original. I guess I'm waiting for in-depth reviews on it.

By my count, https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/awards.htm identifies just 2 panels, made / reviewed in 2019, which it can actually recommend, rather than just "approve" of:
  1. Acer Nitro XV273 X
  2. LG 27GL850
Given new monitors are released all the time, maybe it's best to just wait it out?

I would looove to buy a new monitor... but money is relatively tight for me, and so can't afford to make a mistake here, nor would I want to anyway. The screen I have is junk. So anything would be better than the hand-me-down monitor I'm now using, but buying the wrong thing would be painful.

I have the QZ (3 of them) and they are great.

Kind of leaning toward an Ultrawide though...

I'm on the hunt for a 27" IPS 144Hz 1440p with a true 10-bit panel that is around the $500 max mark, but they don't seem to exist.

I was mere minutes away from pulling the trigger on a new Acer XB271HU bmiprz IPS, but it's only an 8-bit panel...

Back