1440p at 60Hz or 1080p at 100Hz+ ?

IsaacMM

Gawd
Has anyone been able to directly compare this type of situation? Which one provides a better gaming experience?

Or this something one just has to see himself to know what he prefers?

Ive had a 23" 120hz and now game @ 27" 1440 60. Quite honestly I just want the bigger screen. Im thinking about going bigger. 100hz+ was nice but im not MLG gaming...

1440P @ 165 Hz. Anything less and you really aren't a gamer. More a filthy console peasant casul!

:D

I'd probably take the increased Hz, assuming the displays were adequate sizes and at a distance where 1080p wouldn't look like legos.

Really love my plasma for gaming because of the blacks, but now it's kind of tough with the 60Hz after gaming on a 144Hz 1440p monitor for a while now.

I'm sure I'd be fine with 60Hz/60fps after a little bit though. It's nothing like having to step down to 30fps on consoles...

60hz = masturbation
100+hz = sex

never gamed on a LCD for more than 2 hours before getting a 120hz one back in late 2009 - that's saying something.

What games are you playing? Shooters and fast games that require reflexes, go for refresh rate. If you're playing adventure/RPG/RTS games go for resolution.
I game at 4k@60hz at 48" with a computer powerful to even turn AA on (it's not a waste on 48" screen) and ít visually blows everything out of the water. I have an 1080p screen next to it and the visuals are nowhere as close.

It's going to depend on your personal preference/sensitivity which will also be influenced by what you primarily play and are looking for out of gaming.

Someone who primarily plays mulitplayer games competitively (even as an amateur) and is looking for maximum performance is going to be different than someone who plays only single player turn based RPGs as somewhat opposite extremes.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
Has anyone been able to directly compare this type of situation? Which one provides a better gaming experience?

Or this something one just has to see himself to know what he prefers?
No matter what you choose, variable refresh rate technology makes the experience all the sweeter whether it's Freesync or G-Sync. It's been the biggest game changer for me as far as gaming experience goes.

When my 1440p 60hz IPS monitor broke, I went with a 1080p 144hz Gsync TN as a replacement. Definite tradeoff in image quality going from IPS to TN, but the gsynced refresh rate is worth it IMO.

I'll always favor FPS over resolution, although I think the jump from 60 to 100 (or even 120) is far smaller than from 30 to 60. As long as I'm at 60, I'm a happy camper. Anything more than that is just cake.

Had one of those 1440p Crossover 27" IPS monitors a few years ago and it was beautiful. Ditched it shortly after trying a 1080p 144Hz monitor and haven't looked back.

The dream is to have one of those 1440p 144Hz IPS panels but I don't care to shell out nearly $1000 just now.

had a sieki 39 inch 4k tv that does 4k at 30hz.. but could accept a custom res of 1920x1080 120hz , which was nice.
now i got the samsung 40 inch 4k, doing 4k at 60hz.. played a quick game of bf1 and couldnt tell too much difference, but in overwatch i was still performing ok. BF1 looks amazing in 4k though.

I'll always favor FPS over resolution, although I think the jump from 60 to 100 (or even 120) is far smaller than from 30 to 60. As long as I'm at 60, I'm a happy camper. Anything more than that is just cake.
It is smaller, but still noticeable. 60 FPS without G-Sync looks jerky to me compared to 100 FPS. 144+ FPS is sex.

I have been in this situation before and for me it's definitely refresh rate > resolution, to a certain extent anyway. A 75hz display would be a somewhat acceptable compromise, but 60hz just feels potato to me now.

I'd recommend the refresh rate over the resolution. Since I'm hard of seeing, the refresh rate is much more enjoyable than squinting. :D

I'm hoping that once the 4K/5K/8K/etc. battles are finally over we'll see televisions with higher refresh rates...and not that interpolated nonsense.
Once I started gaming on a large TV, I can't go back to a normal monitor. I'd love 144hz and gsync, but I just can't go that route until they become home theater friendly.

I have never had a 1440P monitor but I will never be going back to 60 Hz after having a 144Hz display. Never.
id say the 1440p upgrade was bigger for me than the hz boost but everybody is different. I remember unboxing my U2713HM and just being absolutely blown away. I think for the 144hz its not as mind blowing its just been something I've gotten spoiled by and now I feel like 70 fps feels sluggish

144hz felt like a video card upgrade to me but admit I am now used to it so not so noticeable any more. I can't even tell the dif between 720p and 1080p on an HDTV so why would 1440p be a big deal? As it is now at 1080p even I have a few games where I have to lower the res from 1080p because the text is too small for me to read comfortably. That's what happens when game developers don't use scalable text and I see gamers complaining about text being too small in some games frequently.

Back