140mm Fans Advice

Patonb

Gawd
Well, I need more cooling in my 650D, so I'm thinking about doing dual 140mm on top. No idea on Fans, so I'm looking for some good choices for fans.

I'm in Canada, and if they're worth the money, then price can be high... i.e. Noctua has 140mm for 24 bucks vs most at $12.

Also thinking of a dfront fan replacement to maybe 120s or 140mm setups.

Quiets not a requirement... but a extra.,

The Noctuas 140mm fans have a reputation of being overpriced for the performance they bring. You can check out this 140mm fan round up for some ideas. Basically the Thermalright ty-140, Slip Stream 140 and X-Silent 140 fans get the top pick. The X-Silent and Slip Stream are sleave bearing fans I believe though, which means they aren't good when in horizontal position. The TY-140s use 120mm mounting holes so you wouldn't be able to fit two of them on top.

I have seen people mount 120mm or 140mm fans in the front, but I'm curious as to how they're doing it. There are only 200mm mouting holes. Are they just screwing the fan through the mesh holes?

The NZXT 140MM fans are rifle bearing which make them great for any mounting position and are dirt cheap. I've personally had a relatively poor experience with the fans (loud motor) but they reach higher RPMs than most 140s and shift a respectable amount of air. Personally, I'd spring for the X-Slient fans from Thermalright though I haven't heard anything about Prolimatech's own 140MM fans. Yate Loon also makes some cheap 140MM fans.

I have the thermalright fan, it's quiet but it doesn't undervolt well. The normal speed is 1000rpm but if I drop it below 700rpm the fan will usually just stop.

I have the TY-140 and it worked fine at 7v. In fact I have 6 of them in my case: 2 on the CPU cooler, 1 on the GPU cooler, and 3 as case fans. I really like these fans a lot, even @12v they are not noticable in my room and keep everything cool. Plus, with the 120mm mounting it means I can drop back to 120's later on if I need to.

Have a thermalright x-silent here. Whisper quiet at it's rated 900rpm. If I had the room to fit a TY-140, I would get it. TY-140's get a lot of love out of all the 140mm fans.

Got the Noise Blocker PK-1, rated well if you want quiet. Also got the Enermax 140mm fan, it's not bad either.

I have been using the Koolance 140x25mm fans (FAN-14025HBK and FAN-14025HLED) in most of my builds, which run around 1700RPM and have Dual Ball-Bearings for about $15. They do push a good amount of air and their static pressure is also pretty good for heat sinks and radiators.

You might want to check out the SilverStone (SST-AP141) 140mm fans as well, which are roughly in the same performance ballpark as the KL fans though tend to cost more.

Agreed with wonSR4. If you're willing to spend the money, the noiseblocker PK series is the way to go.

I had a discount on noctua so I went with theirs. it's a safe bet to say the least.

Back