$1400 to spend..

sharkdiver420

Limp Gawd
Hey all,Ive been out of the loop for some time now.Im wanting the best bang for the buck and Im wanting a laptop that is good for gaming but I only have about 1400 to spend.Ive been looking at some dells and looking on ebay.Do you guys think I will be able to get into a DDR3 video card for this money?
If anyone knows of a good deal let me know.Im wanting to order it today or tomorrow.

Thanks,,Shark

Vostro 1500/1700 fall into that price range with a 8600gt which is gddr3. My mbp with 8600gt impressed me with it's ability to run most current games with good fps.

Vostro 1500/1700 fall into that price range with a 8600gt which is gddr3. My mbp with 8600gt impressed me with it's ability to run most current games with good fps.

Good to know its ddr3, I was considering getting a Vostro 1500 myself but if the OP does go with a Vostro, they're running a special to make it even sweeter so make sure you check the configs with the coupons to compare to other notebooks out there ..

350 off 999 or 500 off 1250
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1277096&highlight=vostro

I was looking at some dells with the 8600 gt card and dell says they are DDR2.Are you sure the 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT is a DDR3 card?

I'm fairly certain you could get a very very nicely spec'ed Vostro for 1400$ even an XPS too. I'd go with either of those two.

The Vostro 1700 seems like it'd be your choice with Dell then, or the Inpsiron, but I prefer the Vostro line :)

Just spec'ed a 1700 with a T7700, 4gb ram, the 256mb 8600m gt, wuxga screen and it comes out to 1818$. The 500$ off 1250$ coupon makes this kind of nice.

Damn you americans and your stupid coupons :(

I don't know much about that ASUS series, but I do have a friend that has a ASUS G1 and he absolutely loves it. Though If I had your budget I'd be looking into staying with an Intel procesor though. Even with my smaller budget, that was a priority.

I kinda give up looking for a DDR3 video card in my price range..I did find this tho..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320220381929&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

any thoughts??

Thanks for the help guys..Im going to try a few other stores tomorrow..1 store in chicago may have 1 in stock but they are closed now.Im only about 45mins from the city..

Anyways I guess you guess didnt like the one in this link..I kinda wish I would have got it now since it just sold...Please tell me it wasnt a good buy.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry, you're right about DELLs gddr2, I've been listening to my buddy who's on the fence about getting a new laptop, he's been talking about 100 different models, many of which have the 8600gt.

I'm using the Gateway P-6831FX right now, and it's beautiful, if you can find it in stock, knab it up. for $1300 or less mind if it's over 1400, just buy the one straight from Gateway.

I'm using the Gateway P-6831FX right now, and it's beautiful, if you can find it in stock, knab it up. for $1300 or less mind if it's over 1400, just buy the one straight from Gateway.

The last day of the sale was today,The 23rd.Im just hoping the store will have it tomorrow and maybe they will still give me the sale price..
Thanks for the replys..

Hrmm, that FX is mighty appealing with it's specs and price. Though I'm not a fan of 17" laptops, I do like their resolution though :p

The Lenovo Thinkpad T61p comes with a GDDR3-packin' Quadro FX570M, which is reasonably murderous for a mobile graphics chip. If you get the 15" version you get some ridiculous WUXGA screen or something, which is 1900x1200ish, but Thinkpads are known for having sort of dimmish screens.

Well the 6831fx is sold out everywhere and is not restocking.I found this Asus but the only thing I dont like is it is a AMD system..What do you guys think of it for $1200?

Model
Brand ASUS
Series G Series
Model G2K-A1
General
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
CPU Type AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-64 2.2G
Screen 17" WUXGA
Memory Size 2GB DDR2
Hard Disk 160GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600
Video Memory 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
Communication Modem, Gigabit LAN and WLAN
Card slot 1 x Express Card
Dimensions 16.16" x 12.43" x 1.83"
Weight 9.6 lbs.
CPU
CPU Type AMD Turion 64 X2
CPU Speed TL-64(2.20GHz)
CPU L2 Cache 2 x 512KB
Display
Screen Size 17.0"
Wide Screen Support Yes
Display Type Wide UXGA
Resolution 1920 x 1200
Operating Systems
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
Graphics
GPU/VPU ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600
Video Memory 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
Graphic Type Dedicated Card
Hard Drive
HD Capacity 160GB
Memory
Memory Size 2GB
Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
Optical Drive Interface Integrated
Optical Drive Spec 8x Super-Multi DVDRW Dual layer with Light Scribe
Communications
Modem 56K
LAN 10/100/1000Mbps
WLAN 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN
Bluetooth Yes
Ports
Card Slot 1 x Express Card
USB 5
IEEE 1394 1
Audio Ports 1 x Microphone-in jack
1 x Headphone-out jack (S/PDIF)
1 x Line-in jack
Audio
Audio Built-in Intel High Definition Audio ( Azalia ) compliant audio chip
Built-in microphone
Speaker Internal Speakers
Input Device
Touchpad Yes
Keyboard Standard
Supplemental Drive
Card Reader 5-in-1 (MMC, SD, MS/MS-Pro, XD)
Webcam 1.3M Pixels Webcam
Power
Battery Lithium Ion
Physical spec
Dimensions 16.16" x 12.43" x 1.83"
Weight 9.6 lbs.
Manufacturer Warranty
Accidental Damage Warranty 1 year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty - Drops, Fire, Spill, Surge for purchase after 9/10/07
Parts 2 years limited
Labor 2 years limited

A friend of mine has an ASUS G series. His has an Intel processor though. I wouldn't mind recommanding them, he seems to love his and hasn't really ever said anything bad about them. Seems like a reallly solid machine :)

Invest it, Invest it, Invest it, a month later, get a 3xCurrentoptions powerful laptop.

Back