14 hour flight. Whats my entertainment options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oddly, this has been one of the most interesting posts I've read here in a few days. All wicked suggestions from everyone.

1. Sex and not masturbation. Masturbation might not last as long and has the possibilty of leaving you slighlty depressed which won't help. Also, getting caught in the bathroom with a partner is much cooler then caught with hand lotion.

2. Business class?! And you're askin us mere mortals who go economy to help you with suggestions? Damn you.

3. The two who suggested Top Gear I hope you mean the UK Top Gear.

4. Avoid cellphone games. They're mainly designed to be played in short bursts like while waiting for an appointment, or in class/work, at red lights, while brushing your teeth and so on, and so on. This means you might play one and feel like you've accomplished enough to move mountains but when you look at the time you'll realize you only killed 45 mins.

5. Same goes for visual entertainment like tv shows and movies. If bringing tv shows I'd suggest series from the UK. UK tv shows usually only last a few seasons because the writers accomplish what they set out to do, unlike American tv where if someone hits on a good idea writers become slaves and are asked to write season, after season, after season and although that can work... Sometimes it doesn't. So again, you might watch 3 or four hours of a sitcom before you get slightly bored and need something else, where as if you choose a good series from the UK it's written to only last a few seasons and "I find" more engaging and interesting then American tv. Unless it's Battlestar Galactica.

6. Find someone to talk about tv with... Apparently it's an interesting topic.

7. FallOut 3

8. Be different, draw pictures. Draw the coke can you're using for mix. Draw the seat in front of you. Even if you don't draw at all. It can require a lot of your focus and pass time like you wouldn't believe if you can get into it. Even if you draw a WWII scene with stick figures.

9. Oh, bring the show MayDay and play it just loud enough to be overheard by those around you.

10. My last suggestion close to the drawing one, got buy a small lego set or a few brain teaser puzzles. You want to do stuff you don't normally do. It'll be more engaging and do a better job of passing time then trying to play a game you played 4 years ago.

-Just my 2 cents. If I said anything offensive please PM me so I can edit

Games:
SC2 is supposed to run on a Macbook Air (can't promise anything, look it up yourself to be sure)... campaign isn't half bad and will eat up some time.
Fable: The Lost Chapters should run on a MBA.
The Source games should run? Portal is great.
Age of Empires 3. :)

TV/Movies:
Game of Thrones if you haven't started yet.
UK Top Gear (as suggested above), the regular episodes are great, but try the 'specials' for some hilarious stuff if you're new to the series - the Vietnam special got me hooked.
Couple good shows that you won't be able to finish on the plane but are worth watching - The Shield & The Wire
Rifftrax :D (If you're an old MST3K fan, you'll love it)

Alternatively, bring some books! I just finished The Forever War & The Worlds trilogy by Haldeman, GREAT books if you like speculative fiction/sci-fi. He goes after a lot of things that would change with technology that aren't usually addressed. Very interesting stuff. (It's NOT Space Opera -> Pew Pew scifi)

Another great book is Wool (Omnibus) by Hugh Howey. $6 for Kindle, but if you have an iWhatever or Android you should be able to use the Kindle store on there, right? Great book.

I suggest: massive iTunes library including your favorite music, TV shows, and movies.
Games: Angry Birds, Starcraft 2 and/or Age of Empires 3, Cut the Rope, Infinity Blade 1 & 2, Temple Run, Fruit Ninja, etc.

I flew from Chicago to Hong Kong last year and it took about 16 hrs. I basically bought a bunch of music that I never heard of or new albums and had a jam session during the flight. The only thing that sucked was my ipod keep running out of battery and my extra charger battery didn't really help. I do recommend a good pair of headphone if you're doing this. I got a Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-ANC7B-Noise-Cancelling-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B002HWJT1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335692297&sr=8-1 which was very comfortable and great noise cancellation. I also revisited old games like Starcraft 1, Empire Earth, and some new games to keep me from going crazy lol.
If you're feeling uncomfortable, especially legs room, grab(ask) some small bottle of liquors or take a walk.

the last time I took that flight it was 18.5 hours for me due to sitting on the tarmac for 2.5 hours..........awesome it was.....not....... they actually had to refuel the plane because the wait was so long....

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I travel a lot. and I can tell you that nothing can keep your interest for 14 hours. Sleeping pills will make your trip most "enjoyable".

Just some more tips: brush your teeth and take a shower just before your leave home. Wear something comfortable so you can sleep. Wear crocs or slippers. Bring some chewing gum. Bring a brush to comb your hair after you wake up.

3. The two who suggested Top Gear I hope you mean the UK Top Gear.

We said "Top Gear", not Top Gear USA, Top Gear Australia or Top Gear China.

Top_Gear_Coverart.png

;)

I've travelled on long flights many times and I never get bored - the trick is to take lots of breaks and walk around. And you're flying business class you lucky bastard :) Enjoy the inflight entertainment, they all have hundreds of channels, and you probably don't have to worry about power since you'll have power source in the pod.

lol
no need to hope for sitting next to a hot girl, the stewardesses will be there garunteed!! :D

The 14 hour flight Melbourne -> LA I was recently on was an all male crew. I guess they were kind of decent looking... but I don't swing that way regardless of how boring the flight might be :p

Hey guys. I have an upcoming 14 hour flight NYC to Tokyo. Just the thought of sitting that long is already driving me crazy. I'm sitting in business so I will have a good movie selection ect.
I'm bringing on flight....Macbook Air, Ipad, Android phone. Any suggestions what games you would load up for this long trip?
Thanks

Get a PS vita

Funny. I was thinking about getting a handheld..Vita or DS..but then I'll be taking, Ipad, MBAir, and a handheld. Oh...Steam isnt working any longer on my Air. There is some problem with it updating. Multiple threads on their site about it, so it seems I wont be able to download from them.
Battlestar is a great idea. Already did Thrones.

Funny. I was thinking about getting a handheld..Vita or DS..but then I'll be taking, Ipad, MBAir, and a handheld. Oh...Steam isnt working any longer on my Air. There is some problem with it updating. Multiple threads on their site about it, so it seems I wont be able to download from them.
Battlestar is a great idea. Already did Thrones.

I had a vita, but ultimately sold it due to not enough interesting stuff in their (early) library. If you're a fan of golf though in the least bit, I'd get Hot Shots for the Vita, and maybe pick up Uncharted. There's some good stuff to download as well on the store. All of that combined, should make the flight painless.

I KNOW!!!

About an hour or so into the flight call a stewardess over and tell her you saw someone walking on the wing of the plane. Later frantically claim the man on the wing is tearing the engine compartment open.

Next step, look for a air marshall.....

Best part about this is you get a free ground transportation when you land.

I KNOW!!!

About an hour or so into the flight call a stewardess over and tell her you saw someone walking on the wing of the plane. Later frantically claim the man on the wing is tearing the engine compartment open.

Next step, look for a air marshall.....

Best part about this is you get a free ground transportation when you land.

I'll take some of that stuff you're on.

i vote archer. other than the fact that you will look like an idiot constantly howling with laughter it is worth it.

Those recommending to do the flight attendants apparently haven't flown much lately. These days, the hot flight attendants are vastly outnumbered by the homely women in their 40s and gay dudes.

The proper answer when on a long international flight is to get drunk as fuck and pass out.

Those recommending to do the flight attendants apparently haven't flown much lately. These days, the hot flight attendants are vastly outnumbered by the homely women in their 40s and gay dudes.

The proper answer when on a long international flight is to get drunk as fuck and pass out.

I flown and seen some hot flight attendants, whats wrong with women in their 40s anyways? Especially if they are asian!! :D

I travel a lot. and I can tell you that nothing can keep your interest for 14 hours. Sleeping pills will make your trip most "enjoyable".
Ambien FTW but only if you get a windows seat. Being woken up while in an Ambien slumber is no fun at all.

I usually bring those little Colgate Wisp toothbrushes with me on the plane and then brush for real during layovers or at the destination before meeting people.

While it's popular to get buzzed/drunk I advise against it and against anything else with caffeine. It will just dehydrate you and make your breath smell funky. Stick to water, none of the sugary soda shit either.

Many travelers will wear cotton t-shirts, stay away from those, if the plane gets hot and your back gets wet it will stay that way. Wicking material wins, the downside is that should the plane catch on fire after it crashes the synthetics will bake into your skin.

If you are wearing crocs or slippers make sure to wear socks, long flights can easily get really cold or really hot. Once you get cold feet the fun is over as well.

To bring this back to games, PS Vita will probably keep you busy for a while, then napping after food, and then there's always a deck of cards of a mini-chess board to play with the guy/gal next to you.

Also if you choose not to get hooked on Ambien you may want to consider standing most of the way. My experience from many Atlantic crossings is that if you stand in the very back of the plane and are respectful to the staff to stay out of their way and just go away when they need to space without that they have to ask then they won't mind that you are back there. On one KLM flight I chatted with a couple flight attendants for just under 4 hours total which totally beats just sitting in coach.

Wow, until I read this thread I had no clue that flight attendants were in general completely open to sex with the passengers. I guess I just never thought to ask. :rolleyes:

Wow, until I read this thread I had no clue that flight attendants were in general completely open to sex with the passengers. I guess I just never thought to ask. :rolleyes:

Not if you gotz game!!!
Seriously, I wasnt necesarilly talking about hooking up while they were working. I got a stewardesses phone # smoking a cigarrete in smoking area of airport for example :)

You could try to get a "handie" from the passenger next to you. You never know 14 hours is a long time.

I do a lot of travel and this is very true. There is a huge increase in rude gay males.

I prefer xanax to ambien. Ambien actually give me a hangover the next day and strangely also a backache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back