13TB SSD Available For $13,000

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Great capacity, terrible price. If only I wasn’t six numbers off…

The 13TB drive will be sold directly by Fixstars and won't be available through online retail stores or sites. The company is targeting the SSD at enterprises, but anyone with a big wallet can touch base with Fixstars to purchase the drive. The 2.5-inch drive plugs into SATA 6 slots on motherboards. It has sequential read speeds of 580MBps (megabytes per second) and write speeds of up to 520MBps. The random read and write speeds were not provided by the company.

It wont be available in retail channel.. Hmm. If they brought it to retail, they wouldn't be able to justify a high price with lack of volume.

What's interesting is they packed that into a 2.5" form factor. I figured it was at least a 3.5" drive. If you needed a lot of high performance storage, you could definitely cram a ton of these into a storage unit. If you could get this with a SAS adapter on the back you could have around 286TB on a single shelf. (Subtracting 2 for redundancy) Scale that up and with enough money ($12.5M for just the drives) you could have 100PB on one system! :eek:

I'm going to stock up on several dozen of these, wait for them to appraise in value, and in ten years sell them and become a millionaire!

Disappointing read and write speeds.

Honestly those are quite fine even if they are limited by the sata 6gbps interface. For the market these are going into the sequential numbers mean nothing. You would already need a 10gbe interface in order to get the full speeds off of a server, so it's basically a non issue. If it can do 500MBps in random read / write, then we're at a whole new level.

If they are looking at enterprise customers shouldn't they have went SAS and not SATA?

Not for mass storage.

ok, I knew that SAS was the better of the two choices for performance and reliability, didn't know that they were lagging that far behind in storage that it was SAS for performance, SATA for capacity. Thank you.

I didn't realize the capacity of SSD's would surpass HDD's this early on.

And this is in the 2.5" form factor.

imagine getting one of these (I have one, its great):

100_2655_thumbnail.jpg~original

and filling it with these:

mb994SP-4S_1.jpg

and then loading it up with 13TB SSDs.

12 bays x 4 SSDs in each bay = 48 drives x 13 TB... 624 TB of solid state storage!

I didn't realize the capacity of SSD's would surpass HDD's this early on.

As far as physical space is concern, I think there's more than enough room to fit all the flash memory chips required for a total capacity that will surpass HDD.

The only problem is cost, which is still too high to make these >10TB drives viable.

Why 13? Such an odd number.

And not quite the ideal place to put all that precious data for the superstitious clients. Even Nokia in the past skipped their 4000 series phones because some cultures see the number 4 as an unlucky number.

Why 13? Such an odd number.

And not quite the ideal place to put all that precious data for the superstitious clients. Even Nokia in the past skipped their 4000 series phones because some cultures see the number 4 as an unlucky number.
haha....people are stupid. Finns are not. I know.

As far as physical space is concern, I think there's more than enough room to fit all the flash memory chips required for a total capacity that will surpass HDD.

The only problem is cost, which is still too high to make these >10TB drives viable.

True.

I wonder if once you start piling this many flash chips in there, if they lose their power efficiency advantage over a hard drive.

Also, I just bought a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB as a new boot drive for my server last night, for just over $200.

I'd say that the price per GB is a little high for this 13TB monster :p

I expect the price per GB to go down with volume, not up.

That makes a great flash cache for cloud storage.
I'll stay tuned for the next "I can stick more chips in 2.5" bay" contender.

Can't possibly imagine how much it would cost a company like Google to use banks/arrays of these SSD's in there data-centres.

For those balking at the price, don't forget that CD-Recorders started off in the $25k range. And that was in early 1990's dollars to boot.

Price will come down.
Always does.

If they are looking at enterprise customers shouldn't they have went SAS and not SATA?

It is unlikely that an enterprise would buy these honestly. If they are anything like their previous drives, they are just a lot of embedded SD cards hooked up to an FPGA.

Can't possibly imagine how much it would cost a company like Google to use banks/arrays of these SSD's in there data-centres.

Its roughly 1$ per GB for all flash arrays with serious connectivity (aka 16x16Gb FC or 16x10Gb Enet) in capacities in the 500-1000TB range. And you can get that 500TBs in 1U!

this is getting rediculous. soon one day we are going to have a ssd with the whole internet in it + all data from everyone computer's.

Back