13900KS Voltage/Clock speed/Power Consumption/Temperature thread.

Guys I'm wondering how the 13900k/ks will do on the Peerless Assassin 120? I think I'm growing out of watercooling. I kinda just wanna set it and forget it from now on. I'm dreading changing the coolant and cleaning the block even once in a while. Is anyone running their 13900k on air?

Reviewers have a hard time keeping temps in check 13900k/ks with 360 AIOs. Unless you're willing to reduce the voltage and clocks on your CPU, you'll be throttling the CPU pretty hard on air.
I'd look at der8auers video where he plays around, finding the efficiency of the 13900K to have an idea on what to expect:

Guys I'm wondering how the 13900k/ks will do on the Peerless Assassin 120? I think I'm growing out of watercooling. I kinda just wanna set it and forget it from now on. I'm dreading changing the coolant and cleaning the block even once in a while. Is anyone running their 13900k on air?
Have you considered selling the 13900ks and your water cooling gear, picking up a 7900X3D next month, and profiting? :troll: In all seriousness, that hsf seems like it would be fine. The Noctua DH-15 has been very good to me, and I've used the same heatsink and fans on three different CPUs now: 4790K, 9900KS, and 5800X3D. It seems to have a reputation for being one of the quietest. The Peerless Assassin 120 looks like it uses the same design. All the top air coolers look very similar actually.

Have you considered selling the 13900ks and your water cooling gear, picking up a 7900X3D next month, and profiting? :troll: In all seriousness, that hsf seems like it would be fine. The Noctua DH-15 has been very good to me, and I've used the same heatsink and fans on three different CPUs now: 4790K, 9900KS, and 5800X3D. It seems to have a reputation for being one of the quietest. The Peerless Assassin 120 looks like it uses the same design. All the top air coolers look very similar actually.
The 13900Ks has it's strengths and the AMD 7900X3D is not going to come anywhere near them. The 7900X is not the 13900KS's equal in any way shape and form, in fact the 13900KS is around 25% faster than the 7950X in Single Thead and beats it in most metrics. All the 7900X3D (or 7950X3D) is going to bring to the table is gaming performance in some titles and only (likely) at resolutions of 1080P and 1440P. Even with thread scheduling as advanced as it's become the X3D part's don't magically increase their clock frequencies to Intel levels and the 3D Cache CCDs are slower than the non ones. Also the 7950X3D is the same or more expensive than the 13900K(s) parts.

The migration to the AMD platform would be a loss for anyone already on an Intel 13th gen one. Selling our used components will not net top dollar.

I agree with most of your points. Just felt like throwing a troll grenade out there lol. I do think AMD has Intel beat in efficiency and thermals right now though. But it does depend on how you look at things, what apps you use, etc. I'm well aware that the 13900KS is quite a beast when properly tuned. And I know xDiVolatilX wanted to stick with the Intel platform. I do wish him the best switching to air :)

Ya but the thing is the 13900KS is an animal. I think it can pull close to 350W or something silly lol the 5800x3d is a cake walk to cool in comparison I think it's about half the power

Reactions: t1k
like this
Reviewers have a hard time keeping temps in check 13900k/ks with 360 AIOs. Unless you're willing to reduce the voltage and clocks on your CPU, you'll be throttling the CPU pretty hard on air.
I'd look at der8auers video where he plays around, finding the efficiency of the 13900K to have an idea on what to expect:

Yea I've seen this video I love derbauers content I always watch it. I feel like it will throttle using 24 cores which I don't think I need? I only game on my system no productivity at all. I'll do another test where I only use 12 cores stock voltage because the last post I made in this thread was 12 cores but p cores at 6ghz which is about 1.4V and I'm not really comfy with high voltage ⚡
I'll test some more and post the results in this thread.

Last edited:
ks are picked by the general rule:
p-cores must run 6 Ghz under 1.5 volt - @100c for at least 1095 days
Time to adjust your scale a smidge ;)

for gaming rigs:
If you worry about heat kill hyper threading.
You get 30-50 more single core points in cpu-z as a bonus (Yay Rimworld)

Maybe kill the e-cores and run 6.0 allcore around 200watts max.

I myself follow both mods:
1676509734903.png

Cache/Ring @ 5.0 with 1.3 volt is a no brainer as well with this config.

Running a 420 artic freezer.
Not that it matters much: with 3 additional fans.

Last edited:
ks are picked by the general rule:
p-cores must run 6 Ghz under 1.5 volt - @100c for at least 1095 days
Time to adjust your scale a smidge ;)

for gaming rigs:
If you worry about heat kill hyper threading.
You get 30-50 more single core points in cpu-z as a bonus (Yay Rimworld)

Maybe kill the e-cores and run 6.0 allcore around 200watts max.

I myself follow both mods:
View attachment 549458
Cache/Ring @ 5.0 with 1.3 volt is a no brainer as well with this config.

Running a 420 artic freezer.
Not that it matters much: with 3 additional fans.
So you are at 1.495 at full load? which program r u testing full load with? hyprethreading off and e cores off? I havn't messed with the cache/ring what is it stock voltage? why r u overclocking it?

I also decided to stay on water because my 4090 needs a block to clear my sound card and i absolutely need my sound card i love it that much lol. So going all in water on both the cpu and gpu again fml.

Reactions: t1k
like this
6GHz All P Core OC.

EVERYTHING AUTO except P Core Overclock.

Z790 AORUS MASTER F5 BIOS
13900KS
8 P cores 6GHz (Overclocked also disabled Hyperthreading)
8 E cores 4.3GHz (Default except 8 E cores disabled)
Power 287W
Vcore 1.440V
CPU temp 87°C
Utilization 100%
EK Quantum Velocity 2 block +840mm Alphacool copper (push/pull fans low speed)+
D5 Pump low speed 950rpm

20 mins Cinebench R23
16 core 16 thread total.

View attachment 546414

Thanks for sharing. Are you accomplishing the all P-cores OC by setting all the Peformance Core Ratios manually to 60? (vs as an example how I have set to 60, 60, 58, 58, 56, 56, 56, 56) ?

So far with this KS CPU, it definitely appears to be more efficient (less gate leakage?) as it doesn't get as hot compared to the standard 13900K unit I had in before it and must be using less overall voltage. These things are seriously binned well. Haven't scratched the surface of it's full potential...but I might not get too [H]ard on it because I don't think it's going to help my shitty gaming abilities in COD anyways. LOL

So you are at 1.495 at full load? which program r u testing full load with? hyprethreading off and e cores off? I havn't messed with the cache/ring what is it stock voltage? why r u overclocking it?
I recently could get down it to its real vid of 1.454 with an adaptive offset of 0.020 = 1.44
Set Cache to 5.0 with adaptive voltage of 1.3 and call it a day.
Why? Old school single core games like Rimworld and Battletech.
Both heavily modded.
And since that never does click with you guys how about needing 2.5 times your ram in pagefile size just to cope with the loading?

Since i tune my ram way beyond spec i have to choose what to tune for.
I do not have a mission critical rig ! So i don´t even bother with y-cruncher or prime. Those i use at work to get things stable.

Currently destiny 2 and forza4 get me the most BSODs so i tune with them.

The occasional cpu z, Cb23, pcmark10 and 3Dmark benchmarks for pure bragging rights but never for tuning.

And since i like silence i use my own OCTVB table after watching scatterbenchers one resulting in my 8 cores dialing down to 59x if the core gets above 85.
That´s rather conservative but it helps with the fan noise and almost never gets triggered anyways with my light load daily usecase.

The Noctua DH-15 has been very good to me, and I've used the same heatsink and fans on three different CPUs now: 4790K, 9900KS, and 5800X3D. It seems to have a reputation for being one of the quietest.
I also have the d15 and have had it since the 4770k, the minute the cpu power hits 175-180w it starts to run out of steam. Yes, it has been fine for everything up to the present, but power budgets have gone up and up… a good modern aio is also quieter..

I also have the d15 and have had it since the 4770k, the minute the cpu power hits 175-180w it starts to run out of steam. Yes, it has been fine for everything up to the present, but power budgets have gone up and up… a good modern aio is also quieter..
At about 180w on my custom wc loop I am able to keep it at or under 80C under full load with 12cores. Adding any additional cores or clock speed either/or will start driving up the temperature all the way up to over 320W+. I can deal with it, I'm just wondering if I need all 24 cores or not for gaming. So right now I have it set for only 12 cores. 8 P cores and 4 e cores.

At about 180w on my custom wc loop I am able to keep it at or under 80C under full load with 12cores. Adding any additional cores or clock speed either/or will start driving up the temperature all the way up to over 320W+. I can deal with it, I'm just wondering if I need all 24 cores or not for gaming. So right now I have it set for only 12 cores. 8 P cores and 4 e cores.

I don’t have a 24 core to help you, what I do know is that I have the 14core (specs in sig) and all cores are unparked and in use to a greater or lesser extent when playing cp2077

When they go to 2nm will they be able to hit 6ghz without these thermals and power consumption?

When they go to 2nm will they be able to hit 6ghz without these thermals and power consumption?
The majority of the time, these won't be running that hot or consuming that much power (unless an overclocker decides to run them at turbo speeds relentlessly always)

Is that under full load or gaming?

Last edited:
The majority of the time, these won't be running that hot or consuming that much power (unless an overclocker decides to run them at turbo speeds relentlessly always)

Is that under full load or gaming?
The full load testing I do with prime 95 or Cinebench. Gaming doesn't use as much power because most games aren't as CPU bound as they are Gpu bound. Some games do use a lot of CPU power but none of the ones I play.

Thanks for sharing. Are you accomplishing the all P-cores OC by setting all the Peformance Core Ratios manually to 60? (vs as an example how I have set to 60, 60, 58, 58, 56, 56, 56, 56) ?

So far with this KS CPU, it definitely appears to be more efficient (less gate leakage?) as it doesn't get as hot compared to the standard 13900K unit I had in before it and must be using less overall voltage. These things are seriously binned well. Haven't scratched the surface of it's full potential...but I might not get too [H]ard on it because I don't think it's going to help my shitty gaming abilities in COD anyways. LOL
Ya Pcores manually set to 6ghz and e cores stock 4.3. True the best rig in the world wouldn't make me any better a gamer I try tho lol. Yea the voltage is too high for me at 6ghz. I can easily pull it off but I just don't want to pump that much voltage into the CPU especially since I don't need the extra power. For any of my games. But I do like to test the CPU and GPU to see what it is capable of because in the future I may need to OC it and knowing I have the extra headroom is a good feeling 🥳

Ya Pcores manually set to 6ghz and e cores stock 4.3. True the best rig in the world wouldn't make me any better a gamer I try tho lol. Yea the voltage is too high for me at 6ghz. I can easily pull it off but I just don't want to pump that much voltage into the CPU especially since I don't need the extra power. For any of my games. But I do like to test the CPU and GPU to see what it is capable of because in the future I may need to OC it and knowing I have the extra headroom is a good feeling 🥳
So my situation has changed and I now have a 13900k. At stock frequencies with 1.02/0.20 dc/ac LL it maxes out at 225w or so which is manageable. I will have more of a play later.. temps are under 75C on my aio…

Note nothing is disabled - everything enabled except the igpu (which I will probably enable sometime soon if I need it)

Last edited:
Back