1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Samsung 950pro works fine

you are right about the Marvell controller though, just disable that, it's a waste of clock cycles

Hi sorry to bump the thread I have this pc as my current daily runner
Xeon X5675
Asus P6X58D-E revision 1.01
DIMM1: Corsair Vengeance CMZ6GX3M3A1600C8
DIMM2: Corsair Dominator CM3X2G1600C8D
DIMM3: Corsair Vengeance CMZ6GX3M3A1600C8
DIMM4: Corsair Dominator CM3X2G1600C8D
DIMM5: Corsair Vengeance CMZ6GX3M3A1600C8
DIMM6: Corsair Dominator CM3X2G1600C8D
The only difference between the rams is rank, dram voltage and trfc the rest of the timings matched up
EVGA GTX 1060 6gb SC Gaming Single fan model
ANTEC HC850M
NZXT Phantom 530 black
Drive #1 - Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1 (238 GB) C:
Drive #2 - ST1000DM003-1CH162 (931 GB) D:
Drive #3 - ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB (465 GB) E:
Drive #4 - HGST HTS545050A7E680 (465 GB) W:
Drive #5 - ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB (465 GB) G:
NXZT 200mm front intake
NXZT 140mm rear exhaust
NXZT 120mm top exhaust
Noctua 120mm top exhaust
Noctua C12P SE14 heatsink with Noctua 140mm redux 1500rpm

BIOS Version 0803

BIOS Settings
CPU frequency 3.60 Ghz turbo to 4.1Ghz Idle vcore 1.288v and loaded 1.232v with no crashing
Host Clock Frequency 160 MHz
CPU PLL 1.820 V
CPU Voltage Auto
ICH PCIE 1.600 V
ICH 1.200 V
IOH PCIE 1.600 V
IOH 1.240 V
QPI/DRAM Core Volt 1.27500 V
CHA CTRL 0.500 X
CHA DATA 0.500 X
CHB CTRL 0.500 X
CHB DATA 0.500 X
CHC CTRL 0.500 X
CHC DATA 0.500 X
PCI-E Frequency 103 MHz
BCLK Frequency 160.00 MHz
DRAM Bus Voltage 1.65V
CPU Ratio 23x
Turbo Mode Enable Enabled
Enhanced SpeedStep Technology Enabled
CAS Latency (tCL) 8
RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 8
RAS Precharge (tRP) 8
RAS Active Time (tRAS) 24
LoadLine disabled

History
This computer has been through hell and back due to my parent's house caught fire back in October last year. Only managed to get the computer to work a few times after sitting for 2 month been exposed to smoke, moisture and heat. I cleaned everything from top to bottom worked for 2 months and the motherboard packed up and died last May 2022 it was Asus P6X58D-E Revision 1.00 I only had this board since February 2020 same day my father was diagnosed with Parkinson Disease as he was the one that told me to get the board unfortunate he lost the battle back in November 29th 2021 so the board have sentimental value to me

Last edited:
Hi sorry to bump the thread I have this pc as my current daily runner
Xeon X5675
Asus P6X58D-E revision 1.01
DIMM1: Corsair Vengeance CMZ6GX3M3A1600C8
DIMM2: Corsair Dominator CM3X2G1600C8D
DIMM3: Corsair Vengeance CMZ6GX3M3A1600C8
DIMM4: Corsair Dominator CM3X2G1600C8D
DIMM5: Corsair Vengeance CMZ6GX3M3A1600C8
DIMM6: Corsair Dominator CM3X2G1600C8D
The only difference between the rams is rank, dram voltage and trfc the rest of the timings matched up
EVGA GTX 1060 6gb SC Gaming Single fan model
ANTEC HC850M
NZXT Phantom 530 black
Drive #1 - Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1 (238 GB) C:
Drive #2 - ST1000DM003-1CH162 (931 GB) D:
Drive #3 - ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB (465 GB) E:
Drive #4 - HGST HTS545050A7E680 (465 GB) W:
Drive #5 - ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB (465 GB) G:
NXZT 200mm front intake
NXZT 140mm rear exhaust
NXZT 120mm top exhaust
Noctua 120mm top exhaust
Noctua C12P SE14 heatsink with Noctua 140mm redux 1500rpm

BIOS Version 0803

BIOS Settings
CPU frequency 3.60 Ghz turbo to 4.1Ghz Idle vcore 1.288v and loaded 1.232v with no crashing
Host Clock Frequency 160 MHz
CPU PLL 1.820 V
CPU Voltage Auto
ICH PCIE 1.600 V
ICH 1.200 V
IOH PCIE 1.600 V
IOH 1.240 V
QPI/DRAM Core Volt 1.27500 V
CHA CTRL 0.500 X
CHA DATA 0.500 X
CHB CTRL 0.500 X
CHB DATA 0.500 X
CHC CTRL 0.500 X
CHC DATA 0.500 X
PCI-E Frequency 103 MHz
BCLK Frequency 160.00 MHz
DRAM Bus Voltage 1.65V
CPU Ratio 23x
Turbo Mode Enable Enabled
Enhanced SpeedStep Technology Enabled
CAS Latency (tCL) 8
RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 8
RAS Precharge (tRP) 8
RAS Active Time (tRAS) 24
LoadLine disabled

History
This computer has been through hell and back due to my parent's house caught fire back in October last year. Only managed to get the computer to work a few times after sitting for 2 month been exposed to smoke, moisture and heat. I cleaned everything from top to bottom worked for 2 months and the motherboard packed up and died last May 2022 it was Asus P6X58D-E Revision 1.00 I only had this board since February 2020 same day my father was diagnosed with Parkinson Disease as he was the one that told me to get the board unfortunate he lost the battle back in November 29th 2021 so the board have sentimental value to me
Many of us donated our 1366 parts to long time members when we upgraded to newer setups. Is this your first time at Hard forums?

No it ok not looking to buy or sell hardware I sign on here to find an answer to a problem I have

No it ok not looking to buy or sell hardware I sign on here to find an answer to a problem I have
well, if it's a faulty motherboard do to age and what not then it might require a motherboard replacement.

no post no nothing I assume? try looking for power phases shorted to ground
Already checked for short on the broken board revision 1.00 it will power on but with beep speaker no beeps coming from bios even swapped ram sticks, cpu, gpu no change. But all the parts tested fine on working board revision 1.01

I have already replaced the motherboard that why there's two revision as it mentioned on my first post
at least one of the parts is clearly faulty, otherwise it would be powering on and posting...i had to replace the power supply 3 times in the 10 years i had my 1366 setup. keep swapping parts till it sorted out is what i always did...i have no way of being positive that your motherboard is 100% functional unless you had it working recently? i retired my system and donated the other parts on mine do to the motherboard developing issues do to old age and non stop usage. it sucks to trouble shoot pcs without being able to swap every single part if need be.:(

I know where you are coming from as I know now it the cpu socket is borked due to several areas of pins is broken and mangled don't know how it happened. But did find a company in America that can replace the 1366 socket for something like €150 including delivery in the price. I never had issues with the power supply I have in the system. I have no issue on the newer board as it running since I'm typing on it now. As the broken board will be packed up in a parcel box and be sending it to the company for socket replacement as I have seen the amount of boards that he took personally to show his work on replacing sockets and I spoken to him directly by email about the success rate after the socket been replaced and he told me 95% successful as the other 5% failure

Hope you get it all up and running. I still have my X5670 and P6X58D Premium running 24x7 as a file server and domain controller. The longevity of the enthusiast boards is extraordinary.

Hope you get it all up and running. I still have my X5670 and P6X58D Premium running 24x7 as a file server and domain controller. The longevity of the enthusiast boards is extraordinary.
It be some day in a few weeks that I be able to send it away as money is tight as most of it is put into my parent's house in repairs it would cost about €75000 to fix it completely

I nearly forgotten to show pictures of my pc it abit dusty and it abit different as it might trigger some people due to cable ties, different ram sticks and different fan. But it is how I like it. It pretty quiet and cooling is good since I'm controlling the cpu, gpu and chipset fan by Fan Control found on this link https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases while the pc case fans is set to medium speed by the fan controller.
As shown I made custom graphs for the cpu (hottest core selected) and gpu each have it own algorithm based on temperatures so it can ramp up the fans when it going past certain threshold in the graph like example 40c core temp = 50% fan speed as you get the general idea where it going in the graph so it won't go flat out and be noisy at the same time. Since each points in the graph goes like every 3c = 3% or 7% fan speed. It work great on asus p6x58d-e as a replacement fan control software since asus never updated ASUS AI Suite to work on windows 10 due to compatibility issue.
Fan Control Custom Profile.jpg
My pc 2.jpg
My pc.jpg

Bent pins can be somewhat fixed by a fine needle, like a sewing needle, and a magnifying lens. I've had to use a mounted lens and two needles with both hands on some. There are a lot of unused pins, get a picture of lga1366 and check the bent pins. Missing pins are a lot tougher but sometimes you can jump a pad or ignore if it's not too critical. But having touching pins, etc is generally bad.

If you are trying the newer CPUs you'll need an updated bios to run them, you would need an old Nehalem to post and update bios for the westmere(IIRC) to boot.

Bent pins can be somewhat fixed by a fine needle, like a sewing needle, and a magnifying lens. I've had to use a mounted lens and two needles with both hands on some. There are a lot of unused pins, get a picture of lga1366 and check the bent pins. Missing pins are a lot tougher but sometimes you can jump a pad or ignore if it's not too critical. But having touching pins, etc is generally bad.

If you are trying the newer CPUs you'll need an updated bios to run them, you would need an old Nehalem to post and update bios for the westmere(IIRC) to boot.
The other board I have a good number of pins broken like broken at the end of the tip some ended up getting stuck in the holes but the sad thing about it that before the pins got damaged it was having instabilities issues in stock and overclocked state before the fire happened and same issue after the house fire but the one I have running currently is a newer revision 1.01 along with the latest bios with updated microcodes and other bits added to it. I am having a hard time thinking should I send it away for socket replacement risking €150 and it may still carry over the instabilities issues or set the motherboard as display set on my computer desk.....

Last edited:
The other board I have a good number of pins broken like broken at the end of the tip some ended up getting stuck in the holes but the sad thing about it that before the pins got damaged it was having instabilities issues in stock and overclocked state before the fire happened and same issue after the house fire but the one I have running currently is a newer revision 1.01 along with the latest bios with updated microcodes and other bits added to it. I am having a hard time thinking should I send it away for socket replacement risking €150 and it may still carry over the instabilities issues or set the motherboard as display set on my computer desk.....
I would get a new board and either do wall art with the old ones, or sell as-is for parts. The socket is bad but somebody may need another piece from them?

*chefs kiss*

I'm using mushkin blackline in mine, really wish I had gotten another 3 sticks but it never happened. They're still around but you don't see them as much now.

Bought brand new arctic f14 5 pack case fans and mx-6 thermal paste from Arctic website for about €57 that included with postage and vat in the price as I seen a new fan just on it own in Ireland for about €30 which is ridiculous. Will upload pictures of it when I get it

Still rocking a dual X5675 Dell T5500 as my daily workstation in 2023. It does everything I need it to do, including play BF4 and Detroit Become Human at 4k with a 980Ti at pretty decent framerates, and the desktop is fast and snappy with the OS installed on a 250GB m.2 SSD via a m.2 SSD > pcie adapter.

It's seen a few upgrades over the years, including an LSI raid card flashed to IT mode for SATA3 that's as fast as native connected to two 6TB spinners, and it actually runs fairly cool - I simply see no reason to replace it. This thing's built like a tank.

ZjU4QEo.png

All in it glory. As it going into my existing system due to old fans wobbling and one of them cut out and one was plastic welded to fix a broken fin which is abit of an eye sore to be honest replacing the back and top fans to get rid of the ticking noise and case wobble

Attachments

• IMG_20230114_125533.jpg
    IMG_20230114_125533.jpg
    716.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230114_130416.jpg
    IMG_20230114_130416.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 0
Tidied it up as well had a issue with droning noise at the rear exhaust fan so flipped it around seems to quieten it down a good bit. Must be air turbulence between the back fan and the cpu fan

Attachments

• IMG_20230114_170656.jpg
    IMG_20230114_170656.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 1
Also update on my build managed to find 4 pin pwm to 3 4 pin splitter and installed in on the chassis fan 1 header since the arctic f14 draws 0.20 amp each which I am able to control the rear and top fans without issues as I can control the speed to 750 rpm for quieter operations while it pulling good airflow out of the case. The front fan intake is nzxt 200mm is powered by the fan switch on top of the chassis which set to medium speed to get more cold air in. So finally have a pc that is quiet and cool at the same time :)

Last edited:
2023 and still going strong! Still running my Asus Rampage Gene III that I originally purchased shortly after release. I think I finally stumbled across this thread several years ago and made the jump to Xeon. It's done everything I've needed since then and I'm only just starting to think about replacing / supplementing it with another machine. Will probably have to open her up and give everything a good once over like some folks seem to be doing recently. I use Demciflex filters but it's been years since I've opened the case so there's superfine dust coating everything inside now. I guess I'll clean everything up, maybe do a repaste...and see everyone in another 4 or 5 years, lol.

Well guys and girls, it's been since about 2009 on my X58 setup. It has lived 100% stable and reliable with an X5670 at 4.2Ghz for many many years. But I have just put together a Z790 setup with a 13600k. It's hard to believe I had not put together a new PC for 13 years. Who would have ever predicted the lifespan of these things. In fact, I found an old private message on here where I bought my i7 930 from a member here in 2010!

Mine X58 setup lives on though. I have set it up with an old video card and monitor, and it is a second computer in my office.

The 13600k is an absolute animal though, and I am glad I pulled the trigger. All the modern features and speed of a new motherboard/cpu/ram are worth it. Keep it going guys, the X58 is probably the most unique and long lasting combo in history as far as I'm concerned.

Well guys and girls, it's been since about 2009 on my X58 setup. It has lived 100% stable and reliable with an X5670 at 4.2Ghz for many many years. But I have just put together a Z790 setup with a 13600k. It's hard to believe I had not put together a new PC for 13 years. Who would have ever predicted the lifespan of these things. In fact, I found an old private message on here where I bought my i7 930 from a member here in 2010!

Mine X58 setup lives on though. I have set it up with an old video card and monitor, and it is a second computer in my office.

The 13600k is an absolute animal though, and I am glad I pulled the trigger. All the modern features and speed of a new motherboard/cpu/ram are worth it. Keep it going guys, the X58 is probably the most unique and long lasting combo in history as far as I'm concerned.
X58 came out in a particularly stagnant point in the CPU market where Intel was only iterating each generation by small amounts and AMD wasn't even competitive. At no other point in history would CPU's have been viable for modern applications for that long.

X58 has held up longer than any other platform I've used since 8088.

I agree that P3 had a good run, but it lived in a time where hardware capability was almost always lagging software demand, with even the operating systems (Windows 2000, ME, XP...) quickly taxing hardware released even months prior. In contrast, X58's debut roughly coincided with Windows 7, which began a trend of leaner operating systems whose UI performance remained good even in prior generation hardware. PCIe 2.0 with plenty of X16 slots meant that GPU interface bandwidth was not much of a bottleneck. It was the right platform at the right time. Including CPU, chipset, and the software ecosystem, I would wager X58 is one of the top 3 most long-lived platforms (in practical terms) in the history of x86 computing.

I'm not arguing. The Teraractyl is still my primary battlestation. Overclocked xeon hex, 48GB of ram, nvme boot drive and a 1080ti in it these days...it does the business at 5760 x 1080 to this day.

There's no way I'd spend 150 Euros on fixing an old LGA1366 board at this point.

Back