1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

hairworks off, all else ultra.

2019-03-19 12:25:37 - witcher3
Frames: 708 - Time: 5985ms - Avg: 118.296 - Min: 114 - Max: 124

This is an apples to apples with this review :

index.png

again, i am CPU limited, but not by much, this time the limit seems above GTX 1080 performance.

Hi guys. I hope this is the right thread to ask this RAM-related question in.

I just ordered an old X5675 for 30$ off eBay to replace my ancient i7 950 (running on stable 3.8Ghz atm).
System is Rampage III Extreme (BIOS1502) and I'm planning to overclock the CPU as much as possible to squeeze maximum life out of my system.
I also want to do a memory upgrade. Right now am at 4x2GB dual channel. Want to get to 24/32GB.

My question is, since I'm new to Xeon and locked cpu overclocking, how much will the RAM configuration affect the OC capabilities?
1) Should I go for 4x8GB (although RIIIE should theoretically only support upto 24GB) sticks and run them in dual channel or
2) 6x4GB and run them in two sets triple channel?
3) Or for that matter go for 3x8GB to stay within 24GB limit?
whichever of the above scenarios, I'm planning to get Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DIMMs, probably CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9
If you have any recommendations for different RAM, I'd also love to hear them =)

32GB would be sweetspot for me, but I could make by with 24GB as well.
Reason I need more RAM is photo-editing =)
Thanks in advance!

3x 8 GB is your safest option, without testing the processor first... Different Xeons/i7s react differently on the IMC as clock rate and voltage increases, and some don't do so well with all 6 DIMM slots populated -- usually shaves off 100-400MHz off of your top overclock, or forces you to run at loosened timings. Dual channel is going to give you about the same read/write performance, but copy performance will be way down compared to triple channel. Latency is overall the same, dual vs triple. So you might as well just use triple channel to get the most overall performance on your system. I am not sure about that Rampage III Extreme, but I know I've had luck getting Sabertooth boards to 48 GB -- but again, you're stressing the memory controller more as the DIMM count goes up, and until you know what your X5675 maxes out at it's probably best to not just go all in. (ie, find the maximum overclock with 3 populated DIMM at the timings you want, and check to see if you are okay with lower maximum clock, or looser timings before populating the remaining 3 based on that sample.)

When it comes to RAM for this platform, I actually prefer to buy all Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP, as it's low voltage (1.35v) which means when your X58 is retired due to components on the motherboard wearing out, you could still throw some of it in a Z87 system without skipping a beat. They also tolerate 1.5v/1.65v just fine, and the timings on them are pretty good (8-8-8-24 at 1600) Tighter timings are better when everything is dialed in on X58, especially if you aren't taking the RAM to 2000 or higher (which also poses an IMC issue on a lot of systems.)

its true that some plp said system was not solid with 6x ram slots populated.
i've build 2 x58 with 6 slots used and didnt had any problem ,setiing FSB 180 or more will give you good results above 4ghz enough for the job you need it.
ps
you can go 6x8gb 48GB total ,i have rampage iii gene and works fine.

Thanks @ Farkle and nofearek9! I think I'll go for 4x8GB first then, and test system with triple channel 3x8GB.
Then I'll find out if the system recognises also 32GB in 8/8/8/8 and maybe go for 6slotted 48GB from there.

But if I'm after 32GB then 32GB in dual channel is still better for photo-editing than 24GB in triple channel, even if I do lose speed.

Current system (950) is using 4x2GB as I mentioned. I've never tried OC'ing it with triple channel..

Also checked those Crucial's you mentioned. Apparently they don't sell them where I live. Could only find Ballistics Sport which is CL9..

Last edited:
It's been a long time, but I remember doing some quick research regarding dual channel vs triple channel and the performance was better in triple channel. I personally have been successful with 6 slots populated (6 x 2GB) and am able to run a 4.2GHz stable for over a year now.

Well, I know Destiny 2 will hit a bottleneck on Nehalem. (it's why I upgraded)

If you are talking about the battle.net title from activision, please help me benchmark it, because neither fraps nor cortex can do it. i used presentmon, but forgot to isolate the process id beforehand. log uploaded here.

Attachments

• PresentMon-2019-03-20T171435.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I think my x58 has finally bit the dust.

After randomly turning off and see my overclock drop from 4.6ghz to stock, I can't seem to even to get it to post now. I swapped out RAM and power supply, and the only thing left to test is the CPU and motherboard. It was really only serving secondary server duty, but man it was fun when it lasted. Almost 10 years of daily duty - best purchase I ever made.

Probably going to replace it with a Ryzen 2600 (or if I can get a good deal, Ryzen 1700)

Follow up on my RAM question.
I found these: https://www.overclockers.com/gskill-16gb-tridentx-ddr3-1600-cl7-memory-kit-review/
The price is about 30€ more than the Vengeance CL9's I was planning to get (so about 110€ for a pair)
Is the price difference worth it in your view?

Could you also recommend other RAMs. I understand low voltage is also preferable (though I'm not planning to use these in a future build as I'm probably going to be jumping to z390 at some point).
For that matter, is 1600Mhz the sweetspot when planning to OC X5675? Should I go for higher maybe? The board supports up to 2200MHz O.C.

Thanks! I'm loving this community =)

try not to spend too much on DDR3 RAM . As your review showed, in real life, RAM speed is not relevant for most scenarios. DDR1333 can be pout on 2:8 strap , run at 1066MHz stock and be overclocked to DDR 133MHz long before your CPU OC becomes limited by RAM speed.
My system runs at DDR3 1280MHz with the loosest timing and games like a charm:
upload_2019-3-21_18-32-18.png

You wont see DDR3 running much slower than that. :p

on ebay there is not much price gap between DDR 1333 and DDR3 1600, but even bargain binDDR3 1333 can do the trick

My dual socket board doesn't overclock... Does anyone know of a BIOS mod for a supermicro
X8DTU-F or some other way I can overclock my dual socket x5650 chips

Just giving an update on my little upgrade process.
I managed to find a G-Skill Ares C10 1600Mhz 4x8GB set for dirt cheap and went for that one.
The CPU arrived too and it worked like a charm on my Rampage III Extreme.
So running an X5675 @ a stable 4.51GHz right now! The board also supported all 32GB of the RAM so I decided to go for dual channel setup @ 1642Mhz.
Works like a charm.
Passmark CPU score jumped through the roof. The system is working within 90 percentile of a stock 4790K :D
So I'm officially a 1366 x58 Xeon overclocker's club member I guess!
Thanks for the help all o7

I am back to life as I raped it of parts and married my Ryzen lol . . A fresh SSD with fresh Windows 10 64bit as it's never seen this pace before and a XFX RX570 4Gb in factory form on fresh 19.4.1 driver and that is a hot gpu score .

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/18978345

what score you got in Time Spy?

I will install it but just trying CX as no Intel drivers have been installed as of yet as only windows driver and AMD why no overclock on Xeon but I will take that memory up to 1600Mhz soon .. 8Gb card in slot 3 and 4Gb slot 1 no bridge as it doing what it wants .. love this set up with over 2 inch gap between cards .. 3rd 570 in coming..

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/18983646

if your motherboard dont allow you to run 23x multiplier ,you can start testing with 21x200

After a minimum OC from 160 to 162 and some tweaks i retested far cry primal
upload_2019-4-8_20-48-15.png

turns out i am within the margin of error of an Core i7 5960X (Haswell-E) @ 4.3 GHz.
HardOCP is no more, but X58 lives on.

Only game I played so far is WoT as the cpu is running at 3.2Ghz and RX 570 is stock with all Radeon goodies on .

Last edited:
  • Picked up a w3680 for $50 from a fellow forum member. Upgraded from an i7-920 oc'd easily to 3.8Ghz.
  • The w3680 is easily stable at 22x191 (4.2Ghz), still finding how low I can take various voltages. I can post towards 5 Ghz but haven't been able to find any truly stable points (yet) beyond around 4.3 - 4.4Ghz.
  • I game at 4k on a 1080ti and got a nice frame rate boost across the board in games. Anthem got about a 30% bump in average fps, give or take, at 4k (in missions, outside of town), to where I'm usually between 60 and 90fps at all times.
Corsair h110i for cpu cooling
Gigabyte ex58-ud5 rev 1
3x8GB dimms

upload_2019-5-4_20-35-12.png

upload_2019-5-4_20-35-39.png

upload_2019-5-4_20-35-55.png

gave up on turbo, memory latency is off the charts. it is slower for main usage scenario (chess engines), but quite a bit faster for gaming.
upload_2019-5-4_20-39-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-4_20-39-46.png
    upload_2019-5-4_20-39-46.png
    228.6 KB · Views: 0
I still have water blocks I can add to my board yet but that's a lot of work to map out in a build .. I have it tuned to this with only Corsair memory as voltage is set to 1.65v as green on my board for 1600Mhz speed as it's trading blows with a 1600 .

https://valid.x86.fr/bench/lnwl1p/1

but 65watts on 1600 was the WoW factor as why I have one .

I still have probably a good x5650...but no good mobo...lowly 5520 oem board..cannot OC...
You need the Sabertooth still or I think one of the gigabytes...They do and had/came out with bioses for them I believe should easily get it up to 4.2 dude.

Do we have a list of supported PCIe SSD storage devices on x58? been looking to upgrade my 128GB plextor and not sure if any of the newer plextors have boot roms like the older ones?

It's unreal how badd that looks now/ddr3 I know...you might be able to go higher...I don't know what kit you have...like 1732mhz.

Do we have a list of supported PCIe SSD storage devices on x58? been looking to upgrade my 128GB plextor and not sure if any of the newer plextors have boot roms like the older ones?
You only need those old drives for booting. Nvme drives work fine in windows, for example I tried a 1tb 660p and it showed up in windows no problem.

Samsung 950 PRO; Plextor m6e and m8pE. Those boot from the drive.

All the others require magic like modding uefi bios or booting from a usb uefi hack

I had a HyperX predator that was able to boot. Faster than a regular SSD, not at fast as the Samsung 950pro

I understand now how I was clocking back in the day .. turbo sets the multiplier as the only way for me to gain access to 23x and 24x so as not to run everything else at max value and keep memory speed lower as the base core clock is rised with turbo .

https://valid.x86.fr/bench/w2fzt8/12

Last edited:
You only need those old drives for booting. Nvme drives work fine in windows, for example I tried a 1tb 660p and it showed up in windows no problem.

ya that's what I meant to ask but didn't ask the question properly, but ya I am using a 1TB crucial I picked up cheap off amazon a while back as an apps/steam drive without issue even though it's obviously not bootable

Samsung 950 PRO; Plextor m6e and m8pE. Those boot from the drive.

All the others require magic like modding uefi bios or booting from a usb uefi hack

good to know the m8pe will work since those seem to pop up more than the m6e at this point, for the 950 PRO is there a specific model or all the 950 pros? I know the SM951 will not boot (at least the one I got a while back doesn't)

gonna keep this x58 going for a while I think, but gotta get better cooling

https://valid.x86.fr/bench/mzwyex/12

https://valid.x86.fr/bench/d73k4e

This is off the wall set up .. using speed spectrum , set multiplier to 23 and FSB 187 Mhz with voltage at 1.27 v with v droop and it turbo boost to that score easy and you keep your down clocks for normal lazy desktop action .

https://valid.x86.fr/bench/d73k4e

This is off the wall set up .. using speed spectrum , set multiplier to 23 and FSB 187 Mhz with voltage at 1.27 v with v droop and it turbo boost to that score easy and you keep your down clocks for normal lazy desktop action .

wow! I just got an i7-920 d0 today to use at work. I was able to get 3.9ghz so far and 363 score. my ryzen 1700 @ 3.7ghz gets 425

I just ended up picking up another X5650 for 8 shipped on eBay. Going to throw it on the last X58 mobo I have that still has an i7. lol

It's getting crazy how dirt cheap the lower models are becoming. I wish the higher X5680/5690 would creep down in price tho for my Dell T5500.

Back