1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

I tried a handful of x5660 and x5670 cpu's. The x5660 were easy to get to 4.0 Ghz (20 x 200) but would not go further for me. The x5670 I finally landed on goes 4.2Ghz (21 x 200) without much problem. It is a bit of luck on what you get, but historically people always liked odd multipliers like 21 and 23 and claimed they are more stable. I have not personally found any stability difference running at a 20 or a 21 multiplier, I am able to do both.

I tried a handful of x5660 and x5670 cpu's. The x5660 were easy to get to 4.0 Ghz (20 x 200) but would not go further for me. The x5670 I finally landed on goes 4.2Ghz (21 x 200) without much problem. It is a bit of luck on what you get, but historically people always liked odd multipliers like 21 and 23 and claimed they are more stable. I have not personally found any stability difference running at a 20 or a 21 multiplier, I am able to do both.

I run my X5660 at 4.2Ghz all day long. 21x200. If I leave the "Turbo" on it will shoot up to 4.6Ghz, but then it will crash. 4.2Ghz with no Turbo runs fine. Down clocks to 2.4Ghz when not being pushed.

I run my X5660 at 4.2Ghz all day long. 21x200. If I leave the "Turbo" on it will shoot up to 4.6Ghz, but then it will crash. 4.2Ghz with no Turbo runs fine. Down clocks to 2.4Ghz when not being pushed.

I believe it. It is just luck of the chip. If I tried more x5660's I am sure I would have found 4.2Ghz with one of them. I just happened to get an x5670 that did it, so I stopped there. I would tell anyone to grab an x5660 or an x5670 and hope for the best. Be prepared to try a few CPU's if you are striving for a higher overclock. I had the 4.2Ghz goal in mind and it took me a few tries to get it.

Would it be crazy if i went against the grain and got an x5650? Do you think i could get my ram speed to 1600Mhz useable? I'd like a very mild overclock, like 3.6 or 3.4, or even 3.3, i don't know whats possible in terms of the speed, and i don't know know if anyone's listed their settings on a x5650 with an GA-EX58-Extreme, so while part of me wants to be that guy who gets an exemplary modest clock like that and posts the figures, i'm not sure i have the time for it, since it's a more picky processor than x5660 or x5670. I guess with the overclock powersaving modes are out of the question for the x5650 and x5660? See like Ocre on page 28 (post 1118)most of the time my processor doesn't need to be clocked highly, just for certain situations. I think the board i have has something called dynamic power saver mode, in windows at least.. I wonder how an overclocked x5650 or x5660 would play with an "overclock" and power saving modes (like c state), and upto 1600mhz ram speeds realized? Would it be complicated? So yeah, personally for me, overclocking newb, one reason im leaning to the x5660, is that i feel i could be more comfortable with it, then i presently am, even without overclocking it but just socketting it in.. whereas the same kind of benefit wouldn't be so realized with the x5650.. and if i want to overclock, there seems to be a far greater abundance of information regarding x5650 clocking, however otherwise i'd probably go with the x5650.. like member Ocre on page 28 Feb 7, 2015 #1118. however he's using an x5670, which might be very different than the x5660, and the OP differs from power saving modes with his x5660, so im concerned the power saving modes overclocking, and my peak ram speed goals might not be possible together, but maybe so with the x5670..,
If there is a c-states problem for the x5660 for retaining the multiplier with this system board, I'll regret it certainly.. where i could paid for a broadwell board or gotten the x5670.. or x5650. I have to say,. the x5650 is amazing right now, I think it's a major platform upgrade for most i7 users on the x-58 platform, and it's practically free now. This is a economic computer upgrade! Paying basically for the copper and getting the design for free ;-) it's wild. Yeah the x5650 is the shadiest of the bunch, but it's hard to beat the desire for bang for the buck..,

Thanks everyone for the responses. Do you think i could "overclock" the x5650 while using powersavings modes, and achieve a peak 1600mhz ram speed, and operate having "stability"? I guess
kirbyrj your using c-states power-saving then? Sorry that i'm trying to figure everything out real fast, but pc's being a bit of a drag and i need to get it back in order asap..

Last edited:
Would it be crazy if i went against the grain and got an x5650? Do you think i could get my ram speed to 1600Mhz useable? I'd like a very mild overclock, like 3.6 or 3.4, or even 3.3, i don't know whats possible in terms of the speed, and i don't know know if anyone's listed their settings on a x5650 with an GA-EX58-Extreme, so while part of me wants to be that guy who gets an exemplary modest clock like that and posts the figures, i'm not sure i have the time for it, since it's a more picky processor than x5660 or x5670. I guess with the overclock powersaving modes are out of the question for the x5650 and x5660? See like Ocre on page 28 (post 1118)most of the time my processor doesn't need to be clocked highly, just for certain situations. I think the board i have has something called dynamic power saver mode, in windows at least.. I wonder how an overclocked x5650 or x5660 would play with an "overclock" and power saving modes (like c state), and upto 1600mhz ram speeds realized? Would it be complicated? So yeah, personally for me, overclocking newb, one reason im leaning to the x5660, is that i feel i could be more comfortable with it, then i presently am, even without overclocking it but just socketting it in.. whereas the same kind of benefit wouldn't be so realized with the x5650.. and if i want to overclock, there seems to be a far greater abundance of information regarding x5650 clocking, however otherwise i'd probably go with the x5650.. like member Ocre on page 28 Feb 7, 2015 #1118. however he's using an x5670, which might be very different than the x5660, and the OP differs from power saving modes with his x5660, so im concerned the power saving modes overclocking, and my peak ram speed goals might not be possible together, but maybe so with the x5670..,
If there is a c-states problem for the x5660 for retaining the multiplier with this system board, I'll regret it certainly.. where i could paid for a broadwell board or gotten the x5670.. or x5650. I have to say,. the x5650 is amazing right now, I think it's a major platform upgrade for most i7 users on the x-58 platform, and it's practically free now. This is a economic computer upgrade! Paying basically for the copper and getting the design for free ;-) it's wild. Yeah the x5650 is the shadiest of the bunch, but it's hard to beat the desire for bang for the buck..,

Thanks everyone for the responses. Do you think i could "overclock" the x5650 while using powersavings modes, and achieve a peak 1600mhz ram speed, and operate having "stability"? I guess
kirbyrj your using c-states power-saving then? Sorry that i'm trying to figure everything out real fast, but pc's being a bit of a drag and i need to get it back in order asap..

The easiest way to use your ram at 1600Mhz is to set the BCLK to 200 and the ram multiplier to 8. CPU multiplier then becomes 19 for a 3.8Ghz setting, 20 for a 4.0Ghz setting, 21 for a 4.2Ghz setting, etc. This approach always worked for me.

Yes, I use the power saving features and my CPU clock and voltage drop at idle when nothing is in use.

In my opinion get an x5660 or x5670.

ohh geeze i just misssed your advice on the bclk. i came here to report that i feel bad, cheap-person-buyers-guilt for paying on a xeon x5670 for my several year old system,. when i should buy pancake mix, sausage roll for sammiches, or MAYBE a new platform's board.. 7.99 for shipping, this system better get some life or something.., Clean Z97 system boards on ebay for under 100 bucks. Heres the chip, it would be a steal if it had the freeshipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-Six-Core-X5670-2-93GHz-LGA1366-6-4GT-s-12MB-Cache-SLBV7-Processor-/323399403720?item=323399403720&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=9kOk4K1Z7fTpdPtM1Z7vCcRT5CQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 But you know what, for what i spent, some people spend more for lunch.. not me generally, but some people. I don't know how this would compare with my fair bit more expensive broadwell option,.. i bit the bullet though, because i need to move on and have no more time right now to figure it out. Infact i wouldn't have spend another 4 dollars more on this before going for the x5660, but, this rang up just to the last dollar, given the shipping. x5650's are 20 bucks right now with free shipping.. Think about the kind of upgrade most i7 users could see for 20 bucks. Now thats remarkable, i think more remarkable then the deal i got, but whatever. I might clock this thing right away, i might not,. hope to be back here reporting on or working on a clock for 1600mhz ram. but im legally officially an owner of an x5670.., I feel like shooting myself in the foot, but im also pretty happy. i hope this things gives my system life.. without much trouble, im trying to keep heat down AND I'm sticking with stock cooler, i know im a downer like that,. but hey thats a good experiment for now. But imagine that though, a few years on in life my platform gets a 40 dollar upgrade for 2 more cores, and a higher clock, heck it could have had that for 20(CAD26). In terms of processor i expect it should be a pretty nice increase. but i guess after this im skipping that whole broadwell haswell, probably, and am going to DDR4, unless there's some great deals on older haswell equipment soon.. Which might be the case with used systemboards and xeons there eventually.., i dunno. i didn't switch to broadwell yet though, and im keeping some cash in my pocket instead for now., I think it's wise. then if xeons drop there, i could cross-platforms at that later time I guess or see whats new getting released, as early as next year. had i gone with the broadwell it would be a less appealing option then to drop a whack of cash on a new platform.., Also, i just last week purchase 6 gigs of g.skill ram for 20 bucks. Man the seller, .., wouldnt accept my lowball 25 dollar offers, caught it in the last minute on auction though. i think when i update next, it mght be to a current gen platform., or i dunno, anyhow, just thought i'd followup on my circumstance here. got suckered on the last dollar for an x5670, great minds think alike. they pushed me to the dollar. I've got a feeling ddr4 prices are going to finally go down soon. It would be nice if we could all just go and buy 64 gigs and be done with it. i shouldn't complain, i should be happy. Hex core, and better cores then i have now. i dont know when this machine started chugging,. im going to swap in an mx500 later today. This i7 used to be much faster, i think it's all the web traffic in the background and firefox'es memory management. i used to have dozens on dozens of tabs open, or dozens on dozen. cant do that anymore, maybe next week again. ;-) 12gigs now, and new processor. ima shot myself for not getting the two kits of 8gb gskill sniper ram and going to 18 gigs. 4+4 +4 + 2+2+2, or 4+4+4 + 4+2+2 (20gb). one minute buying older equipment i feel like im burying myself, the next i feel like i'm maybe buying myself some legs for now.., i guess time will tell for me whether i end up forking out in 6 months for a new platform or not., heck having not spend MUCH now, it not bad either way., the x5660 was a better deal though, i think. i just wanted the easier situation for myself in the event i don't have time to overclock this week.., Yes there are some beauty's on ebay now.., i'd recommend either a buy it now x5660, or the x5670 on auctions ending tomorrow. but that might be heated. Friday night ebays.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I can only speak from my own experience the X58 Extreme (same as UD5) and X5670 - it is kind of quirky in some ways - with a X5670, non-turbo max multiplier is 22x, but I'm running 21x 200FSB and 8x RAM for 1600mhz which are nice even numbers, very stable. You need to turn "Turbo" to off because otherwise the board tries to force single core max multiplier on all cores, in my chip's case 23x @ 4.6Ghz which is no go. I think with your 5660, max multiplier is 21x which is perfect for the 21x200mhz setup.

I completely agree with ewb302 above, 200FSB is key

I'm sticking with stock cooler, i know im a downer

I've got a feeling ddr4 prices are going to finally go down soon. It would be ince if we could all just go and buy 64 gigs and be done with it.

You're using the stock cooler? I would not overclock at all with stock cooler, just my opinion

YMMV but I've seen people report running 48GB RAM, 6x8GB on this board just fine with Xeons.

Last edited:
You're using the stock cooler? I would not overclock at all with stock cooler, just my opinion

YMMV but I've seen people report running 48GB RAM, 6x8GB on this board just fine with Xeons.
TSRH, drop a few bucks on a decent air cooler--the Hyper 212 is cheap ($30 for new, much cheaper on ebay for used), and good for decent overclocks.

I've got the 5670 too, in an Asus X58, and dropped 12gb in it. No overclock yet, but it's already faster than the previous i7-920 at stock.

I can only speak from my own experience the X58 Extreme (same as UD5) and X5670 - it is kind of quirky in some ways - with a X5670, non-turbo max multiplier is 22x, but I'm running 21x 200FSB and 8x RAM for 1600mhz which are nice even numbers, very stable. You need to turn "Turbo" to off because otherwise the board tries to force single core max multiplier on all cores, in my chip's case 23x @ 4.6Ghz which is no go. I think with your 5660, max multiplier is 21x which is perfect for the 21x200mhz setup.

I completely agree with ewb302 above, 200FSB is key

Thanks for the Tip!

TSRH, drop a few bucks on a decent air cooler--the Hyper 212 is cheap ($30 for new, much cheaper on ebay for used), and good for decent overclocks.

I've got the 5670 too, in an Asus X58, and dropped 12gb in it. No overclock yet, but it's already faster than the previous i7-920 at stock.

Alright then bigrigs, looks like were in the same boat here, to to speak, but i think i'm gonna try with the stock cooler, first, to see what i come up with ;-)

Hmm,
i'll think about it there more soon bigrig & stunna, at the same time instead of buying a new cooler, i could be buying a new skylake processor, for just over 120bucks, and maybe 100 spring for the new platform board.. i'd cetainly rather fork out 100 bucks or rather 150 bucks on a skylake i3 or i5 processor than 50-100 bucks on a cpu cooler, in terms of performances gains per dollar,. Especially considering me, im trying to keep things running cool and quiete. i doubt the evo, it doesnt look like it has many fins.., i've seen much beefier heatsinks..,
i guess with adapter where support is made coolers are reusable though, ehh ;-) So a great investment where the mounting kits are interchangeable., But i've seen they can get pretty heavy on our system boards, and i like to keep my equipment in shape and inspec generally speaking. where just whats expected is there.

And also, if the intel stock cooler work with a 130tdp processor, to dissipate power sufficiently, it should be able to help me overclock a much cooler 95tpd chip with a mild overclock, i would think, no?

I have my cooler mounter on the horizontal plane, so that the heat is expelled upwards, in a natural heat rising model, kind of like being out of a case, almost like an open bench, because i have have the side panel off, and the computer in it's own computer room. MOST of these coolers would be shooting air then in the wrong direction.., horiznotally instead of vertically if i changed out.. here heat rises right to the ceiling,. lol.
right now it's like the room(not yet cleanroom..) is the computer case, i try to keep it dust free, and then when i go in there, it's like im stepping into the computer (tron image)
MV5BYjYyMmIxNzItMTlhOC00NTVjLWE1ZTAtOWI0MWUzNWI2NDZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMxMDgyNzU@._V1_.jpg

lol, because the room is the case. And It's no liquids or oils allowed in. And there is another computer, which handles sometimes auxiliary tasks,. encoding the like, and eventually i plan on a splitting and amplifying the RGBHV+edid analog video signals of the main system's analog video output,. so if i ever do a screen capture recording it's not actually the main pc doing the encoding and saving/streaming, but the secondary machine is, so the aux machine is the only thing seeing ANY extra duty., Like a "streaming box". Main pc wont even know it's happening.

Secondly, do you think that it might be possible, with my horizontal configuration and open roof that the stock intel cooler might even be even more effective then the cited evo? I know that evo's got some nice heatpipes. however my buddy bought an aftermarket cooler last year, on an AMD Ryzen and found out that the stock ryzen cooler was more efficient then his aftermarket cooler, lol.., so it sits on his desk :p Sucka!
ahh you guys are probably right though.., !
Maybe i'll be buying one soon eh?

I might get a new cpu cooler, but i wonder what would be comfortable without that, for a small overclock for now. i'll have to read a bit more about overclocking operation before i invest in any aftermarket coolers.., surely you guys are giving sound advice, but i'd prefer to defer the investment for now.. and run the stock for the time being, until i start reasearch more on overclocking, and trying out some timings and voltages.., maybe the evo would fit just right.., not to heavy afterall. However, i just dropped like 50 usd, 70CAD on an 9 generations past platform..,

Though regarding the recommended cooler, I'm sure some of them with the big copper lines would make for a silent experience when under certain c-states, or powersaving modes, even fan off, like i have some of my in-room computers with just natural heat-energy loss/passive through heatpipes in "caseless" systems... I cant tolerate noise and heat..

but today, until i get to overclocking, i don't see a benefit, just cost? Cost which could be to spent buying later generation chip, instead, or and sitting theres in such an event it's needed then spring for a new chip or memory.. But i usually think aftermarket coolers are a great investment, since theyre reuseable, if you intend to continue overclocking..,
and i know the new intel backplates HELP support the weight of aftermarket coolers., but I don't think there is a spec' for weight., if i run the stock cooler the board is being weighted as intended on the board..

I think there should be alot of detailed data for overclocking the chip i bought, x5670 with the stock cpu cooler, since practically every x5670 customer has one.., like i says, im only after a very MILD overclock, i just mostly want to get my ram up to speed now and clock it up a bit for good measure ;) at the lowest buck possible prefferably, hopefully i can then achieve that with a small overclocking; keeping turbo and c-states and 1600mhz 12gigs, and eventually 14, 16, or 18gigs, withut any cooler upgrade., that would be good bang for the buck, no? I'm not sure i want to commit to the overcloking lifestyle for life.., or that i want to sit at a constant clock rate all day long.., seems like alot of heat. I'll think about the cooler guys. Maybe a present to myself this christmass time.., =) to achieve a better clock at that time.. Get in the jolly christmas spirit! ;-)

Unless of course i cant get to 12gigs 1600mhz with the stock intel cooler, might come sooner :p

i know ;-) i seen that too.. or at least i caught that some users had 48gigs running, i didn't realize they were using our GA-EX58 board.., . If i recall correctly there were some pretty wild overclockings happening, Extreme overclocking indeed gigabyte! the detail inspires some confidence for me here..
But surely it's 1060mhz or 1333mhz, not the 1600mhz stuff, right? Like server ram, like the speed my rams been operating at for several years ;-) To me then it begs the question, where is the best ram amount vs ramspeed, and personally, i might aim to support 18gigs @1600mhz, ideally, i think that would be best FOR me personally at this time.. Now, whether i could get that working with a moderate overclock, and stability; im not sure, and perhaps something like 16 or 14 or 12 gigs would be easier.. And so i setup for that(12) with my recent ram purchase.

I think my ideal memory goal would be to achieve 18 gigs @ 1600mhz. I think thats all the ram i would use for now at this time, without real compromise, and it would be great to see that(18Gb) at speed(1600Mhz).. huh?

While i'd like 24gigs of ram, getting 24gigs of ram at 1600mhz will probably be alot more economical next year, and i might just move to 18gigs in the spring time.., or 20, 4+4+4+4+2+2, or 18 4+4+4 + 2+2+2, like i says, im not sure about overclocking and getting my ram up to speed even(1600), so thats one reason i went with the same model and brand as i already had, so that i can troubleshoot any 4 gig kits/sticks i want to enter into the system, of the same kind (timings, speed, voltage), by checking on a reference configuration of the full rank of type @clocks., and then the 4gigs @ clocks, to see if a fails the ram or the system, and identify any common memory system configuration.., like if something doesn't work 6 gigs of the same type between two kits ; if the 2gb module kits are verified to be so close and interchangeable and don't work at a clock, then it's(clock timings/whatever) not going to work with mixed sizes and kits even of type i figure.., and so i suspect 24 gigs of 1600 wouldn't work without some mega clocking at least.., but what do i know about it? not much as of yet. ;'-) For some operations i wouldn't want to stay at 1060Mhz, so if 18@1600 or 24@1600 isnt allowed, there's got to be a compromise

Like, i personally could go out and buy a new board and cpu, and get the latest gen equipment., but why spend so much today, with ddr4 ram prices at a high premium, for all i know some new software comes out or hardware innovation tomorrow which makes most of what i bought redundant and obsolete, unlikely i know, but a possibility still, and im getting very good deals here i think..

You know intels benefiting bigtime by the ddr4 ram cost inflation, so thats why things are as they are regarding processor costs. I think it's gonna be a great jump maybe in 1 or 2 years when memory costs fall there., and wish that i had gotten this sort of Xeon a deal 2 years ago, to socket my x58 xeon back then, Then i could have enjoyed this wonderful upgrade and leveraged it much longer.., Wish i knew what i know now ;-) thanks to this thread, and op.. But this is exciting, big new socketted chip for the beast. fully unlock the power of x58! yeah! Beating even some new unclocked skylakes by wide-margins in multi threadeds, yeah! Thats a savings..

However, i want to say i was mostly not fretting about dollars, so much as making the correct investment by considering the ratio's of cost and performance and dollars, to give the right people money and get myself the most bang for the buck long term. I think i did that, or close to it, i did an awesome job shopping. im fully set to get a new gpu, or wait on a platform switch, pending my memory works out..,
I'm glad to support the old server equipment sales industry, it would be a shame to recycle bin them chips and im glad theyre letting them. I dont want to be buying new pc's every year.., so i hope, well, i hope my ram upgrade pays off the most..

Last time i played a game, 1 month ago actually in a call of duty 4 beta; i never noted the loss of a single frame in-game with vsync for the most of it, like generally running around, with the settings i chose and when running at a 1050vp(vertical pixel count), or 1024vp, or 900vp resolution settings at 75 frames per second frame-rate for the most part, with a gtx660, but most settings were quiete low.. I'm sure a GTX 1080 would be much more enjoyable.., however, i'd personally have to get a special non reference design from china for an analog output, which involves much research.. into trustworthy companies and brands, ect, and while i think thats very awesome; im a busy man, and on the daily im not properly missing anything with the 660, i feel.

Sometimes i set the refresh rates to 90 too, depending on the game engine's efficiency, and available game settings, and never drop a frame there either. However setting which i regret are all too often short in list and unvaried can see titles where i have to go lower..., intel & nvidias needs upgrades too, afterall. ;-)
Heck i was surprised and happy to see that cod4 beta even allowed aspect ratio changes, such as resolution choices with zoom support, so one can setup just right.. Hah, i laughed to see some resolution options were missing though, they set the bar in a very distinct fashion. i wonder who their partners are (intel & nvidia?)

Actually i might be confused, but i think a slightly oc wastmere xeon x5660 beats an unclocked skylake i3 in ALL common metrics, and also then likely an x5650 does so as well, when comparing with a desktop i3. So, for 15 dollars, and an overclock; an x58 platformer can get a used x5650 beat a new 8th gen i3 customer, lol. So i think thats pretty radical., AND it does so by wide margins in some metrics, at that. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-X5660-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8100/m17750vs3942

Glad to have the community chat here guys. I'm a club member now. X58 Xeon owner and proud,. Pending this guy shipped the processor and i get it.

I almost jumped platforms to sit with a stock clocked cpu, like an i5 broadwell, X5660, but i think this'll do me better, and i can i'll do a better jump in a few years. ;-) this was a good value for a guy like me, who would otherwise not overclock but buy new. basically save the whole board cost, and buy more ram, or a new gpu.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-X5660-vs-Intel-Core-i5-5675C/m17750vsm31828
(comparing overclocked westmere xeon to stock broadwell)

Also, i know alot of ppl here are gonna scream sacrilege, but watercoolers are just too high maintenance/libility for me. The best pc pumps i've ever seen are rated for 5 years, the rest of them less, or unrrated(so presumably less). Like ocre, im a set it and forget it kinda guy, when possible.

Heck, i don't even know how i got here, last thing i remember i was looking up broadwell cpu's, for a "regular" stock (non overclocked) config, for final gen ddr3 utilzation lol. to avoid ddr4 prices, for a good deal, but i got a MUCH better deal here i reckon. Heck and i should say, i think the x5650 is the best deal right now, one can be picked up on ebay for $15 USD. That i say is the best deal, where you can probably with the right clock, still beat a few 8 gen skylakes for nothin, and some broadwell i5's. Good investment for basically free @x5650.

Last edited:
If you asked me to choose a hex westmere ep or latest gen i5, I’d go with the i5. In a lot of benchmarks the i5 would be faster and runs cooler.

But hes not choosing between a latest gen i5. It's a Broadwell 5675c so he can reuse his ddr3 memory. I doubt it would out bench a 4ghz hex xeon...especially for the price.

I have a gigabyte x58 ud3r with x5650 and 6 gigs of ocz ddr3 1600hz. I'd like to just overclock at about 3.6-3.8ghz. Could someone help with bios settings to achieve these clocks? Thx.

Thanks for the Tip!

Alright then bigrigs, looks like were in the same boat here, to to speak, but i think i'm gonna try with the stock cooler, first, to see what i come up with ;-)

Hmm,
i'll think about it there more soon bigrig & stunna, at the same time instead of buying a new cooler, i could be buying a new skylake processor, for just over 120bucks, and maybe 100 spring for the new platform board.. i'd cetainly rather fork out 100 bucks or rather 150 bucks on a skylake i3 or i5 processor than 50-100 bucks on a cpu cooler, in terms of performances gains per dollar,. Especially considering me, im trying to keep things running cool and quiete. i doubt the evo, it doesnt look like it has many fins.., i've seen much beefier heatsinks..,
i guess with adapter where support is made coolers are reusable though, ehh ;-) So a great investment where the mounting kits are interchangeable., But i've seen they can get pretty heavy on our system boards, and i like to keep my equipment in shape and inspec generally speaking. where just whats expected is there.

And also, if the intel stock cooler work with a 130tdp processor, to dissipate power sufficiently, it should be able to help me overclock a much cooler 95tpd chip with a mild overclock, i would think, no?

I have my cooler mounter on the horizontal plane, so that the heat is expelled upwards, in a natural heat rising model, kind of like being out of a case, almost like an open bench, because i have have the side panel off, and the computer in it's own computer room. MOST of these coolers would be shooting air then in the wrong direction.., horiznotally instead of vertically if i changed out.. here heat rises right to the ceiling,. lol.
right now it's like the room(not yet cleanroom..) is the computer case, i try to keep it dust free, and then when i go in there, it's like im stepping into the computer (tron image)
View attachment 98739 ..

lol, because the room is the case. And It's no liquids or oils allowed in. And there is another computer, which handles sometimes auxiliary tasks,. encoding the like, and eventually i plan on a splitting and amplifying the RGBHV+edid analog video signals of the main system's analog video output,. so if i ever do a screen capture recording it's not actually the main pc doing the encoding and saving/streaming, but the secondary machine is, so the aux machine is the only thing seeing ANY extra duty., Like a "streaming box". Main pc wont even know it's happening.

Secondly, do you think that it might be possible, with my horizontal configuration and open roof that the stock intel cooler might even be even more effective then the cited evo? I know that evo's got some nice heatpipes. however my buddy bought an aftermarket cooler last year, on an AMD Ryzen and found out that the stock ryzen cooler was more efficient then his aftermarket cooler, lol.., so it sits on his desk :p Sucka!
ahh you guys are probably right though.., !
Maybe i'll be buying one soon eh?

I might get a new cpu cooler, but i wonder what would be comfortable without that, for a small overclock for now. i'll have to read a bit more about overclocking operation before i invest in any aftermarket coolers.., surely you guys are giving sound advice, but i'd prefer to defer the investment for now.. and run the stock for the time being, until i start reasearch more on overclocking, and trying out some timings and voltages.., maybe the evo would fit just right.., not to heavy afterall. However, i just dropped like 50 usd, 70CAD on an 9 generations past platform..,

Though regarding the recommended cooler, I'm sure some of them with the big copper lines would make for a silent experience when under certain c-states, or powersaving modes, even fan off, like i have some of my in-room computers with just natural heat-energy loss/passive through heatpipes in "caseless" systems... I cant tolerate noise and heat..

but today, until i get to overclocking, i don't see a benefit, just cost? Cost which could be to spent buying later generation chip, instead, or and sitting theres in such an event it's needed then spring for a new chip or memory.. But i usually think aftermarket coolers are a great investment, since theyre reuseable, if you intend to continue overclocking..,
and i know the new intel backplates HELP support the weight of aftermarket coolers., but I don't think there is a spec' for weight., if i run the stock cooler the board is being weighted as intended on the board..

I think there should be alot of detailed data for overclocking the chip i bought, x5670 with the stock cpu cooler, since practically every x5670 customer has one.., like i says, im only after a very MILD overclock, i just mostly want to get my ram up to speed now and clock it up a bit for good measure ;) at the lowest buck possible prefferably, hopefully i can then achieve that with a small overclocking; keeping turbo and c-states and 1600mhz 12gigs, and eventually 14, 16, or 18gigs, withut any cooler upgrade., that would be good bang for the buck, no? I'm not sure i want to commit to the overcloking lifestyle for life.., or that i want to sit at a constant clock rate all day long.., seems like alot of heat. I'll think about the cooler guys. Maybe a present to myself this christmass time.., =) to achieve a better clock at that time.. Get in the jolly christmas spirit! ;-)

Unless of course i cant get to 12gigs 1600mhz with the stock intel cooler, might come sooner :p

i know ;-) i seen that too.. or at least i caught that some users had 48gigs running, i didn't realize they were using our GA-EX58 board.., . If i recall correctly there were some pretty wild overclockings happening, Extreme overclocking indeed gigabyte! the detail inspires some confidence for me here..
But surely it's 1060mhz or 1333mhz, not the 1600mhz stuff, right? Like server ram, like the speed my rams been operating at for several years ;-) To me then it begs the question, where is the best ram amount vs ramspeed, and personally, i might aim to support 18gigs @1600mhz, ideally, i think that would be best FOR me personally at this time.. Now, whether i could get that working with a moderate overclock, and stability; im not sure, and perhaps something like 16 or 14 or 12 gigs would be easier.. And so i setup for that(12) with my recent ram purchase.

I think my ideal memory goal would be to achieve 18 gigs @ 1600mhz. I think thats all the ram i would use for now at this time, without real compromise, and it would be great to see that(18Gb) at speed(1600Mhz).. huh?

While i'd like 24gigs of ram, getting 24gigs of ram at 1600mhz will probably be alot more economical next year, and i might just move to 18gigs in the spring time.., or 20, 4+4+4+4+2+2, or 18 4+4+4 + 2+2+2, like i says, im not sure about overclocking and getting my ram up to speed even(1600), so thats one reason i went with the same model and brand as i already had, so that i can troubleshoot any 4 gig kits/sticks i want to enter into the system, of the same kind (timings, speed, voltage), by checking on a reference configuration of the full rank of type @clocks., and then the 4gigs @ clocks, to see if a fails the ram or the system, and identify any common memory system configuration.., like if something doesn't work 6 gigs of the same type between two kits ; if the 2gb module kits are verified to be so close and interchangeable and don't work at a clock, then it's(clock timings/whatever) not going to work with mixed sizes and kits even of type i figure.., and so i suspect 24 gigs of 1600 wouldn't work without some mega clocking at least.., but what do i know about it? not much as of yet. ;'-) For some operations i wouldn't want to stay at 1060Mhz, so if 18@1600 or 24@1600 isnt allowed, there's got to be a compromise

Like, i personally could go out and buy a new board and cpu, and get the latest gen equipment., but why spend so much today, with ddr4 ram prices at a high premium, for all i know some new software comes out or hardware innovation tomorrow which makes most of what i bought redundant and obsolete, unlikely i know, but a possibility still, and im getting very good deals here i think..

You know intels benefiting bigtime by the ddr4 ram cost inflation, so thats why things are as they are regarding processor costs. I think it's gonna be a great jump maybe in 1 or 2 years when memory costs fall there., and wish that i had gotten this sort of Xeon a deal 2 years ago, to socket my x58 xeon back then, Then i could have enjoyed this wonderful upgrade and leveraged it much longer.., Wish i knew what i know now ;-) thanks to this thread, and op.. But this is exciting, big new socketted chip for the beast. fully unlock the power of x58! yeah! Beating even some new unclocked skylakes by wide-margins in multi threadeds, yeah! Thats a savings..

However, i want to say i was mostly not fretting about dollars, so much as making the correct investment by considering the ratio's of cost and performance and dollars, to give the right people money and get myself the most bang for the buck long term. I think i did that, or close to it, i did an awesome job shopping. im fully set to get a new gpu, or wait on a platform switch, pending my memory works out..,
I'm glad to support the old server equipment sales industry, it would be a shame to recycle bin them chips and im glad theyre letting them. I dont want to be buying new pc's every year.., so i hope, well, i hope my ram upgrade pays off the most..

Last time i played a game, 1 month ago actually in a call of duty 4 beta; i never noted the loss of a single frame in-game with vsync for the most of it, like generally running around, with the settings i chose and when running at a 1050vp(vertical pixel count), or 1024vp, or 900vp resolution settings at 75 frames per second frame-rate for the most part, with a gtx660, but most settings were quiete low.. I'm sure a GTX 1080 would be much more enjoyable.., however, i'd personally have to get a special non reference design from china for an analog output, which involves much research.. into trustworthy companies and brands, ect, and while i think thats very awesome; im a busy man, and on the daily im not properly missing anything with the 660, i feel.

Sometimes i set the refresh rates to 90 too, depending on the game engine's efficiency, and available game settings, and never drop a frame there either. However setting which i regret are all too often short in list and unvaried can see titles where i have to go lower..., intel & nvidias needs upgrades too, afterall. ;-)
Heck i was surprised and happy to see that cod4 beta even allowed aspect ratio changes, such as resolution choices with zoom support, so one can setup just right.. Hah, i laughed to see some resolution options were missing though, they set the bar in a very distinct fashion. i wonder who their partners are (intel & nvidia?)

Actually i might be confused, but i think a slightly oc wastmere xeon x5660 beats an unclocked skylake i3 in ALL common metrics, and also then likely an x5650 does so as well, when comparing with a desktop i3. So, for 15 dollars, and an overclock; an x58 platformer can get a used x5650 beat a new 8th gen i3 customer, lol. So i think thats pretty radical., AND it does so by wide margins in some metrics, at that. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-X5660-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8100/m17750vs3942

Glad to have the community chat here guys. I'm a club member now. X58 Xeon owner and proud,. Pending this guy shipped the processor and i get it.

I almost jumped platforms to sit with a stock clocked cpu, like an i5 broadwell, X5660, but i think this'll do me better, and i can i'll do a better jump in a few years. ;-) this was a good value for a guy like me, who would otherwise not overclock but buy new. basically save the whole board cost, and buy more ram, or a new gpu.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-X5660-vs-Intel-Core-i5-5675C/m17750vsm31828
(comparing overclocked westmere xeon to stock broadwell)

Also, i know alot of ppl here are gonna scream sacrilege, but watercoolers are just too high maintenance/libility for me. The best pc pumps i've ever seen are rated for 5 years, the rest of them less, or unrrated(so presumably less). Like ocre, im a set it and forget it kinda guy, when possible.

Heck, i don't even know how i got here, last thing i remember i was looking up broadwell cpu's, for a "regular" stock (non overclocked) config, for final gen ddr3 utilzation lol. to avoid ddr4 prices, for a good deal, but i got a MUCH better deal here i reckon. Heck and i should say, i think the x5650 is the best deal right now, one can be picked up on ebay for $15 USD. That i say is the best deal, where you can probably with the right clock, still beat a few 8 gen skylakes for nothin, and some broadwell i5's. Good investment for basically free @x5650.
That stock cooler won't cut it, it barely cut it new on my i7-920 with a fresh-air duct from outside the case; and, as it got clogged with dust, the system throttled the turbo boost to the point where it couldn't even get past stock clocks.

Invest $30 in an CM Hyper 212 Evo, it'll allow you to overclock well. The setup you're describing just won't let you get past stock clocks, those Intel sinks aren't very good.

Hi guys first post even though I apparently joined in 2012? Been a long time member on another forum, but it's slowed quite a bit.

Has anyone had luck getting 2000 mhz memory to run at even 1866 speed?

I have an x5670 on a GA-X58A-UD5 R2, 24gb (6x4gb 2000mhz). I have my CPU at 21x191 so my memory is running at just below 1528mhz. I'd really like to get my CPU to 20x200 for 1600mhz (or better) but I just can't seem to get things stable. A lot of people seems to be able to get the CPU speeds up to 4.2ghz, but that just won't run for me.

am I asking too much out of the hardware to get faster memory speeds with 4 ghz?

More like you’re asking too much out of that motherboard especially with all 6 dimm slots loaded which affects overclockability and stability of the RAM to even allow POST to come up. Relax your RAM timings to auto and bump the voltage to whatever your sticks are rated at.

Start at 1.5x uncore on a Westmere-EP for 6 populated DIMM -- not much of a real world impact, but it'll be easier on the IMC. Dial it in from there.

Hi, all!

I'm just wondering if there is ANY way to overclock the below system:

Dell T3500 - X5672 - 24GB DDR3 ECC

I've found confusing info on Google as to if my CPU is multi-locked, but Intel Extreme Tuning Utility won't allow me to adjust multipliers, so I'm going with locked. And, of course, there are no BIOS options for overclocking a Dell Precision T3500.

It's not a big bummer if I can't overclock, but it would be nice as my system is obviously quite old. As I've posted that I'm looking for an X5390, because I'm looking for a a hexacore upgrade, some helpful folks have suggested maybe a W3690 instead. I'm certainly fine with that as SMP isn't an option. But is the W3690 multiplier-unlocked? Again, Google just gives me pretty much useless info, ARK tells me nothing.

I have the beefier HS in my T3500, but I'd probably at least have to slap some 80mm fans to it, better solution would be a CM Hyper 212 EVO. I can stress test using Intel Extreme Tuning for five minutes with no throttling at 82c. Prime95 default can run all night.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Wyo

w3680 and 90 are unlocked, at least on an Asus, Gigabyte or other enthusiast board. On an OEM system like a Dell or HP, I can not say for sure, it may not let you go thigher than stock with the multiplier.

Yeah, I know, OC on a Dell T3500 board is pretty much out of the question. Kinda sucks. Getting an X58 board, case, etc, isn't cost effective.

I love my rig as it is. I can't afford anything else.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
All Dell workstation boards are locked down, no way to overclock them with the exception of Dell branded Alienware boards.

The Dell T3500 can be overclocked - somewhat. Using system in signature to type this right now. Just finished an arcade mode Doom session.

You need an unlocked chip. Far as I know W3680/90 are it. Then use ThrottleStop to change the multi. 30x for 4.0ghz seem the usual ceiling in these since we have no way to up the voltage. Mine will run at 4.2ghz but not stable there.

The stock Dell cooler can work quite well. My load temps are 60c at 4ghz (25c room temp). First time trying Grizzly Kryonaut. It's expensive but seems to do the trick.
(mirror lapped heatsink, 80mm fan on cooler in pull config, both case fans set to 100% with SpeedFan).

Attachments

• ietu.4.0.jpg
    ietu.4.0.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Problem is, this dude is on a limited fixed-income (as is my understanding)

So a 3680/3690 at $150/220 is way, way out of the realm of consideration....
They have not been that high for some time. There are W3680 at $53 shipped on Ebay right now. US seller too. Sent
Wyodiver the link in a PM when I saw them.

Yeah, thanks all. But cost is a big deal. I really can't afford to do much with this experiment. I'd love to get a W3690 and a CM Hyper 212. Maybe delve into overclocking a bit. I haven't overclocked anything since my Athlon Barton / PIII days.

Thanks!

Yeah, thanks all. But cost is a big deal. I really can't afford to do much with this experiment. I'd love to get a W3690 and a CM Hyper 212. Maybe delve into overclocking a bit. I haven't overclocked anything since my Athlon Barton / PIII days.

Thanks!
Certainly do understand your budget constraints. If you can swing $53, 4.0ghz should be attainable with equip. you already have.

Adapting a Hyper 212 to fit mount studs on the Dell socket is certainly an option. In my opinion, there is no real need for it. Lack of voltage adjustment is going to be your limiting factor far before thermal throttling (100c). If I can get temps like above you should too.

The W3690 would be overkill in this situation. Higher base clock, yes. But W3680 will top out at same point. So may as well go for less expensive (by 40%) option. Check your PM.

Can totally relate about the Athlons. These T3500 are my first foray into OCing since those days as well.

More like you’re asking too much out of that motherboard especially with all 6 dimm slots loaded which affects overclockability and stability of the RAM to even allow POST to come up. Relax your RAM timings to auto and bump the voltage to whatever your sticks are rated at.

Start at 1.5x uncore on a Westmere-EP for 6 populated DIMM -- not much of a real world impact, but it'll be easier on the IMC. Dial it in from there.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have more tweaking to do.

Am I correct in assuming 20x200 is better than 21x191? It seems to line up everything neatly.

I'm at my current settings with some settings relaxed so it will run, I think I also disabled hyper threading which hurt to do on the Xeon.

I mostly game but have been doing a fair amount of transcoding so the extra threads seem to help.

Thanks again,

Uneven multipliers have less BCLK holes on the majority of X58 implementations.

Uneven multipliers have less BCLK holes on the majority of X58 implementations.

I've heard this, I've also heard this applies to the i7 variants, but it is why I initially was shooting for 200x21, but I can't get that stable. it seems like I am going to have to either remove 1 of my 12gb kits, or add more voltage. I'll have to spend some more time tweaking or upgrade when I can find a deal on some coffee lake hardware or something, tweaking this system is getting old. I'd rather spend the little time I have gaming instead.

So, the final upgrade is in, a MSI RX580-8GB Gaming vidcard, graciously provided by fx9, along with an USB 3.0 card & a media reader.

Which now brings me to this question: install the Asus utilities (ExpressGate, ProbeII, and TurboV) and let them handle the turbo boost (if the X5670 will handle that); or, go with other software to handle overclocking the processor ("throttlestop"?) and the vidcard (MSI Afterburner iirc, tho I doubt I'll need to overclock the vidcard)

System specs:
Xeon X5670 hexacore
12GB Gskill DDR3 tri-channel RAM
MSI vidcard
Asus SATA DVD burner
Micron 2tb SSD
4 other HDs, all SATA 20180914_171928.jpg

I await thine wisdom, ye denizens of the [H].

Last edited:
So, the final upgrade is in, a MSI RX580-8GB Gaming vidcard, graciously provided by fx9, along with an USB 3.0 card & a media reader.

Which now brings me to this question: install the Asus utilities (...) and let them handle the turbo boost (if the X5670 will handle that); or, go with other software to handle overclocking the processor ("throttlestop"?) and the vidcard (MSI Afterburner iirc, tho I doubt I'll need to overclock the vidcard)

System specs:
Xeon X5670 hexacore
12GB ... DDR3 tri-channel RAM
MSI vidcard
Asus SATA DVD burner
Micron 2tb SSD
4 other HDs, all SATA View attachment 104875

I await thine wisdom, ye denizens of the [H].

Why not overclock in bios? I've never used software to overclock my machines.

Nice rig!

Damn, I regret selling my Gigabyte UD5 Extreme board w/ X5650 combo a while back... decided between that and an i3 4170 system for HTPC purposes and went with the more power efficient system. Boooooo

Why not overclock in bios? I've never used software to overclock my machines.
Partially because I've never overclocked before, I've always let the Asus TurboV do the work (even tho the turbo boost wasn't anything to write home about), so I'm highly unfamiliar with the process.

Which leads to a different question: once overclocked, will the system/BIOS/OS clock the processor DOWN as the loads go down? Or will it sit and spin at the max overclock applied?

Nice rig!

Thank you! I only just decided to bling it up. 5 lighted fans (two in the side panel that's not in the pic), and I installed two new Cooler Master 140mm high-flow fans in the top to replace the no-name chinesium fans that were there. Those two blow out, while the rest (2 side, one rear, one front, one bottom) blow in, and the fan controller shows it hitting about 85F at the moment, measured just above the RAM, tho I haven't finished installing mono drivers and stressed it yet.

Last edited:
Damn, I regret selling my Gigabyte UD5 Extreme board w/ X5650 combo a while back... decided between that and an i3 4170 system for HTPC purposes and went with the more power efficient system. Boooooo

lol

Yanno, when I put this machine together in late 2009, my goal was one that I could upgrade as needed, and have a viable machine for as long as possible (aka "future-proofing), and I caught some shit for it.

In all honesty, I could've not done anything except o/c the i7-920, and gotten away with it, but with the info about going with a cheap Xeon & ram & really boosting performance without having to invest in a new mobo/cpu/ram setup (that, and a deal on a Micron 2TB SSD that kicked those whole thing off) turned it into a project I just wanted to take to it's natural conclusion. That RX580 was $180, and was the second-most expensive bit in there (the SSD was about $350 iirc), and that thing should be a beast all by itself. I already have it piped into the 55" Hisense TV, which makes for a good gaming experience as well as an excellent HTPC one, too. The Logitech X530 5.1 system still makes great sound (and I got THAT in 2005 or so), so all my bases are covered.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this rig, and none of it (even in 2009) would've been possible without the advice of the good folks at the [H]. Thank you all very much.

Partially because I've never overclocked before, I've always let the Asus TurboV do the work (even tho the turbo boost wasn't anything to write home about), so I'm highly unfamiliar with the process.

Which leads to a different question: once overclocked, will the system/BIOS/OS clock the processor DOWN as the loads go down? Or will it sit and spin at the max overclock applied?

Down clocking at idle all depends on whether you keep the various C States enabled in bios or not. Generally speaking, when you overclock you disable C states as they can mess up your overclock.

The x58 platform is multiplier locked with the exception of the turbo multiplier, meaning you overclock by increasing the BCLK. Overclocking x58 is tricky, but rewarding when done right as the platform has a lot of headroom. In the day I remember getting an i7 920 to 4.1Ghz remarkably easy, and that was the lowest spec i7 you could get at the time! The Xeon's are usually even better.

Has anyone here moved to a Threadripper 2950x system from the X5650 or similar @ 4.3Ghz or so? I mostly do photo editing in Photoshop with many plugins plus now doing Premier as well. Will start doing VR gaming as well so overall started to consider what a newer system could give me over my currently "immortal" X58 system. :D

Back