1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

The Ripjaws V are pretty good value. I have four sticks running at 3200MHz CL14 @1.4v. This is on an Intel x299 system though.

Hi all, I've had a trusty i7-920 since these processors first came out - what a workhorse! It was a gaming PC, then a storage server, then finally something in the corner to web surf on. Finally it went into storage for about 18 months.

Today I pulled it out of storage, tore it down and thoroughly cleaned it... think IPA cleaning of all PCBs... it works perfectly! Asus P6T-Deluxe V2 and 6x2GB Corsair DDR3-1600 in a big ol' Antec 1200. Most of its life was stock clocks with occasional OC into the 4GHz range when I had some load to run. When it active use it went through a series of water coolers, both old school and AIO. Before tossing it in storage I appear to have found the i7-920's original stock heat sink and put it back on... that's what is installed now and I don't have anything better lying around now.

Anyway I was thinking about what to do with it, and I'll most likely sell it at some point since we have more powerful PCs in the household, but I never got around to the upgrade so I went ahead and bought an x5680. It's mainly just to kick the tires on it. My question: for the purposes of simple power up and assessment, can I get away with the i7-920 stock cooler with x5680 for testing? Mostly concerned with basic fit and physical compatibility; I realize the stock cooler isn't so great. If the x5680 wows me (in particular... if it feels fast/powerful without generating the sheer amount of heat the i7-920 would put out under even light overclocks...) then I'd pull a H100 from one of the other PCs.

Sphinx99 you hould be ok with that stock cooler, the x56xx are 32nm CPUs down from 45nm the 920 is, x56xx CPUs do run cooler than the 920.

Recently snagged a GTX 970 to go in my dual x5670 machine. Picked it up for $115, ended up selling the 7950 for $95, seemed like a no brainer.

3DMark result is not bad, I'm sure the single thread performance would bottleneck performance in a lot of games though.
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/15969269

View attachment 89924 View attachment 89925 View attachment 89926 View attachment 89927 View attachment 89928
My current list...
$1,036.78

Of course i will transplant my other stuff to the new build.

Should i pull the trigger already? Or should i get different ram or whatever

Looks like a solid build. Which case is that?

Careful with that cooler, I don't believe it comes with AM4 stock It has to be requested, that could take a few weeks..On top of that you have to pay shipping fees.

The Scythe FUMA is a very good value right now and it supports AM4 out of the box.

Thanks Bill. I’m trying to push a fresh Win10 to this PC with a new SSD and had forgotten how painful the ICH10 compatibility issues (with new storage) on this platform were.

Recently snagged a GTX 970 to go in my dual x5670 machine. Picked it up for $115, ended up selling the 7950 for $95, seemed like a no brainer.

3DMark result is not bad, I'm sure the single thread performance would bottleneck performance in a lot of games though.
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/15969269

Looks like a solid build. Which case is that?

Careful with that cooler, I don't believe it comes with AM4 stock It has to be requested, that could take a few weeks..On top of that you have to pay shipping fees.

The Scythe FUMA is a very good value right now and it supports AM4 out of the box.
ok vendor switched to Scythe.....although i kinda favor the mugen 5 rev b:)

SOMETHING is off with hard cooler reviews!.one minute the justice is the best thing since sliced bread but recently is drops to current levels..As much as i respect this place, i cant quite figure out whats going on.

My assumption is the Justice just isn't best suited for AM4 etc.

My assumption is the Justice just isn't best suited for AM4 etc.
well for what its worth Reeven as a vendor is off the AMD list for me anyways....they dont include the needed bracket in the package then no dice!

Scythe coolers will do just fine. Nothing against the Hyper 212 Evo but there well known to be a cheapo middle of the road performing if not closer to average at best

Last edited:
well for what its worth Reeven as a vendor is off the AMD list for me anyways....they dont include the needed bracket in the package then no dice!

Scythe coolers will do just fine. Nothing against the Hyper 212 Evo but there well known to be a cheapo middle of the road performing if not closer to average at best

I'm using the Scythe Fuma on my 2700X (and my X5660 before that) and it works fine for AM4. I had to get an AM4 bracket for my first gen Fuma, but I think that the newer gen has everything already in the box.

Just went from 12GB to 24GB of RAM in my Dell T5500, now I can run my VM's and have lots of tabs open at once!

Server ddr3 is awfully cheap in the states. My server is running 192gb of ram purchased for a low price of $140.

So I found a x5680 for 65 bucks from servermonkey, jammed it in my x58 sabertooth, overclocked the turd to 4.2 on first boot and I'm getting 150F max temps with prime95 on an h115i. i should've done this a LONG time ago. This thing is a beast. Makes my i7-960 look like a crippled dog with 3 peg legs.

I just upgraded my dual X5675 PC to 24GB of ECC DDR3 now that ram prices are dropping to reasonable levels again, now I can have all my VM's open at once!

Just tested the modded BIOS update:
upload_2018-8-3_17-40-5.png

Worked like a charm.

Just found this deal over at Newegg, Radeon RX580-8gb for $195, and was wondering if it'll work on an X58 mobo (Asus P6T Deluxe). It'll definitely be a HUGE upgrade over my Radeon 4870...

I run a 980Ti in my own dual X5675 system and it performs great. At the end of the day the determining factor is really the resolution and graphical settings you're running, but X58 era hardware still has the grunt in most scenarios.

I run a 980Ti in my own dual X5675 system and it performs great. At the end of the day the determining factor is really the resolution and graphical settings you're running, but X58 era hardware still has the grunt in most scenarios.
I'm more worried about the hardware compatibility than anything else. Any thoughts on that?

Just found this deal over at Newegg, Radeon RX580-8gb for $195, and was wondering if it'll work on an X58 mobo (Asus P6T Deluxe). It'll definitely be a HUGE upgrade over my Radeon 4870...
I put a Sapphire Nitro RX 580 8GB in my wifes X58 system with an X5687. She had an HD 7950 before and even with the CPU at stock clocks it was a huge upgrade.

This noget interest people, loads of BIOS's with Spectre/Meltdown patched for x58 motherboards:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...tre-patched-bios-for-x58-motherboards.246101/
Thanks for posting this. I'm thinking of flashing my wifes MSI Big Bang with this BIOS as hers doesnt seem to be 100% compatible with X5687. It boots up and runs but struggles to read SPD on several different RAM modules and also refuses to let me adjust uncore ratio.

Did you experience a noticeable performance loss with the patched bios?

Thanks for posting this. I'm thinking of flashing my wifes MSI Big Bang with this BIOS as hers doesnt seem to be 100% compatible with X5687. It boots up and runs but struggles to read SPD on several different RAM modules and also refuses to let me adjust uncore ratio.

Did you experience a noticeable performance loss with the patched bios?

Nothing that I noticed, it kinda alligns with the benches done here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...ios-for-x58-motherboards.246101/#post-3873012

Nothing that I noticed, it kinda alligns with the benches done here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...ios-for-x58-motherboards.246101/#post-3873012
So... some report minimal performance impacts, other report very noticeable impacts.

Question is: why should I worry about it? Who is going to spend the time and money to go thru so much trouble to execute such an esoteric hack on my piddly little system? It's not like I've got the launch codes [hide] (I keep them on a post-it note on the fridge)[/hide], and I (not yet, unless I can't get Ubuntu to play nice) don't run a VM or anything like that.

So what's the point? Especially if I'm gonna have a nasty performance hit?

I put a Sapphire Nitro RX 580 8GB in my wifes X58 system with an X5687. She had an HD 7950 before and even with the CPU at stock clocks it was a huge upgrade.
I got a bit nervous with the reviews of the MSI on Newegg, so I did a bit of digging in the Deals and Steals forum, and found this lovely Sapphire Nitro (NIIIITROOOOO!!!) RX570-8GB-ddr5 at CDW for $183--$217 after tax & shipping. Pulled the trigger, too. :D

Thanks for the input folks, as always. :)

So... some report minimal performance impacts, other report very noticeable impacts.

Question is: why should I worry about it? Who is going to spend the time and money to go thru so much trouble to execute such an esoteric hack on my piddly little system? It's not like I've got the launch codes [hide] (I keep them on a post-it note on the fridge)[/hide], and I (not yet, unless I can't get Ubuntu to play nice) don't run a VM or anything like that.

So what's the point? Especially if I'm gonna have a nasty performance hit?

You have any benches showing a large performance impact?

You have any benches showing a large performance impact?
Me? Of course not, I work too much to devote time to that. OTOH, I've read impacts anywhere from 10% to 30%, which is distinctly bad, IMHO--hence my stance that it's just another ploy by Intel & MS to force another upgrade cycle.

However, I still want to know: why should *I* bother? Who's gonna want to hack my processor and find my piddly little whatevers? My bank account is usually empty all month, and what money that does hit it is gone before a day passes. I don't have any secrets, I don't mine cryptocurrency, I don't have anything illegal.

So I ask again: why should I worry?

Me? Of course not, I work too much to devote time to that. OTOH, I've read impacts anywhere from 10% to 30%, which is distinctly bad, IMHO--hence my stance that it's just another ploy by Intel & MS to force another upgrade cycle.

However, I still want to know: why should *I* bother? Who's gonna want to hack my processor and find my piddly little whatevers? My bank account is usually empty all month, and what money that does hit it is gone before a day passes. I don't have any secrets, I don't mine cryptocurrency, I don't have anything illegal.

So I ask again: why should I worry?

All the info is in this thread, why should i bother replying you?

My T5500 runs Linux, i applied the spectre/meltdown patches and according to benchmarks my system actually runs faster than it did before the patches were applied.

Hello overclockers and X58 Xeon owners and enthusiasts. I'm on an X58 platform and am looking to upgrade from my stock i-920 socketed to my Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME overclocking motherboard, by dropping in a Xon and was hoping to see some advice here.

For the past day or so i've bee trying to find out information on the suitability of using the x5660 to achieve a mild overclock to see my rams (12gb g.skill 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.50v) finally operate at their rated speeds, and see some; processor power overhead.!! ;) However I've read a few issues regarding the multiplier setting being reset on reboot in this implementation, due to something with "c-states", so I'm not sure if this is the chip i should go with for my GA-EX58, or if i should go with an x5670, or x5650. I hear the x5670 has "better" clock multiplier options, so perhaps this would be an option which could offer me better compatibility/suitability? I really don't really want to reset the multiplier every system restart if an x5670 or x5650 would be free of such issue,.

This is long thread and I've enjoyed reading quiet a bit, but i'm running low on time and hope someone well versed on the subject could offer some assistance to me, so that i could join the club, so to speak. ;-) I haven't overclocked before, I could just use an upgrade, and i understand slotting in an un-overclocked x5660 alone would yield a substantial performance improvement, however i also might like to get my ram to rated speeds, FINALLY. ;-) But sirs and mam's is the x5660 in the GA-EX58-EXTREME a go or no-go? I've read confusing accounts. I don't want an intense overclock, i just want to get my rated ram speeds, and net a bit of extra to save money for now..

I've also read materials and posted at the overclock.net thread [Official] - Xeon X5660-X58 Review & Discussion [and Xeon L5639 benchmarks inside] and the sister-board's owners group discussion too
* The "Official" Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R/UD5/UD7/UD9 Owner's Club *

Cheers.

Last edited:
You can get a W3680, or a W3690 hexcore xeon they are multiplier and buss side unlocked. I would go with the W3680 since it is cheaper.
Don't get the W3670, it is not multiplier unlocked, just buss like the x56xx CPUs
You don't have to worry about memory multipliers.

Hello overclockers and X58 Xeon owners and enthusiasts. I'm on an X58 platform and am looking to upgrade from my stock i-920 socketed to my Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME overclocking motherboard, by dropping in a Xon and was hoping to see some advice here.

For the past day or so i've bee trying to find out information on the suitability of using the x5660 to achieve a mild overclock to see my rams (12gb g.skill 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.50v) finally operate at their rated speeds, and see some; processor power overhead.!! ;) However I've read a few issues regarding the multiplier setting being reset on reboot in this implementation, due to something with "c-states", so I'm not sure if this is the chip i should go with for my GA-EX58, or if i should go with an x5670, or x5650. I hear the x5670 has "better" clock multiplier options, so perhaps this would be an option which could offer me better compatibility/suitability? I really don't really want to reset the multiplier every system restart if an x5670 or x5650 would be free of such issue,.

This is long thread and I've enjoyed reading quiet a bit, but i'm running low on time and hope someone well versed on the subject could offer some assistance to me, so that i could join the club, so to speak. ;-) I haven't overclocked before, I could just use an upgrade, and i understand slotting in an un-overclocked x5660 alone would yield a substantial performance improvement, however i also might like to get my ram to rated speeds, FINALLY. ;-) But sirs and mam's is the x5660 in the GA-EX58-EXTREME a go or no-go? I've read confusing accounts. I don't want an intense overclock, i just want to get my rated ram speeds, and net a bit of extra to save money for now..

I've also read materials and posted at the overclock.net thread [Official] - Xeon X5660-X58 Review & Discussion [and Xeon L5639 benchmarks inside] and the sister-board's owners group discussion too
* The "Official" Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R/UD5/UD7/UD9 Owner's Club *

Cheers.

I have your exact motherboard, my X5670 is running at 4.2Ghz (21x 200FSB) rock solid for 2 years now so I think it might be a BIOS issue. What version are you running? I'm on F13u

You can get a W3680, or a W3690 hexcore xeon they are multiplier and buss side unlocked. I would go with the W3680 since it is cheaper.
Don't get the W3670, it is not multiplier unlocked, just buss like the x56xx CPUs
You don't have to worry about memory multipliers.

Thanks for the reply bill. What sort of, advantages would i see by going with a W3680, see im sory or juggling buying a cheap cpu today, and a new platform board in 6months or 1-2 years, The W3680 is the same price as a broadwell systemboard, which I suspect itself would eventually offer xeon, and i've also not seen reports of a W3680 working well with my systemboard (Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME), i have however read reports of sucess with the m5680 and x5690 and i believe x5670.

Now I'm not saying your advice is unvaluble, indeed it may be greatly so, however it is a new idea to me, AND your suggestions are about twice the price of the x5670, and 4 times the price of the x5650. Paying four times more, what sort of practical benefits could i realise with the W3680, and sir do you know that those chips would be well implemented in an GA-EX58-EXTREME system board, with my desired ram timings, with a mild overclock? I have to admit, i've never oveclocked before, I feel like madonna on the subject, :oops: :ROFLMAO: and im greatly looking forward to setting a custom clock, once i have some time, and also something i was looking forward too was the lower power consumption, heat and oise assosciated with the x5660's & 5670's 95w TDP.. Would i see some major gains here? Were the W3680's previously more expensive then today, and is that why there is not much talk about them in these threads I've reviewed? I"m looking for cheap easy power. I mean would you tell me the gain would be substantial,.? And, do you know about my particular board? I could slip into a broadwell platform for just 30 percent more than your recommendation i reckon.. which again i suppose could give me upgrade paths up the xeon ladder later.

Anyhow, thanks for lending your good attention here sir, I don't intend to b rude, only hard (y)
is the x5660 problematic with my board for a mild oveclock, and 1600mhz for ramz? Say because of it's clock multiplier?
Jacor

Last edited:
Hi there CStunner, glad to see your around! Heck i've read your replies in this thread over the past two days! Your my celebrity here tonight ;-). My concern is with the x5660, I've seen reports where implementers were having issue with the clock multiplier resetting to 23 or 22 on reboot with the GA-EX58-Extreme, which is the reason I'm considering the x5650 or more expensive x5670. And i've not seen anyone report they are fully satisfied with an x5650. However, if it's fine with say a milder clock i'd be happy with that too, I'm not looking for a ton, I'm getting a ton "upgrading" from a stock i7-920 either way I figure, even clock to clock in single threaded applications with an x5650. it's just i want to run my ram at the right speed, and maybe net some extra overhead too..

Back