1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Honestly, I have thought about doing just that. The issue is that this system runs 24/7 (I don't turn my PC off!) and I'm a little concerned about noise. Did adding the fans to the rear of the case create noticeably more noise in your experience?

Not that I've noticed, but I usually have headphones on and this is sitting on the floor next to a Mac Pro underneath my desk. Could always go for Noctuas. I used 80mm Arctic cooling ones I got off Amazon in a 4 or 5 pack.

Not that I've noticed, but I usually have headphones on and this is sitting on the floor next to a Mac Pro underneath my desk. Could always go for Noctuas. I used 80mm Arctic cooling ones I got off Amazon in a 4 or 5 pack.

Awesome, I'll take a look. I could even put a speed controller on the fans to slow them down a little. Thanks for your input. ;)

My main PC used daily:

- Dell T5500.
- Dual X5675 Xeons.
- Nvidia 980Ti.
- LSI 9211-8i flashed to IT mode with no boot bios for SATA 2 6Gbps.
- Kingston HyperX m.2 SSD on a m.2 to pcie adapter as the boot drive.
- Soundblaster X-Fi
- Seagate 1TB HDD for general storage.
- Hitachi 1TB HDD for /home (OS is Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS).
- 12GB ECC DDR3 (6GB + 6GB).
- LG HDDVD/BD optical drive.
- Dual HP EliteDisplay E241i IPS 1920 x 1200 monitors.
Very nice. Desktop configuration I see.
If I may ask, are you running UDIMM or RDIMM modules in that T5500?

Very nice. Desktop configuration I see.
If I may ask, are you running UDIMM or RDIMM modules in that T5500?

Thanks for the comments. :)

Yes, the machine is set up in desktop configuration. When I first got it I assumed that the faceplate would be able to be rotated around for non desktop configuration, it wasn't until I tried reorienting the faceplate that I realized this isn't possible due to the fact that the faceplate is not a square! So I rotated the Dell badge and just left it in desktop configuration, doesn't bother me at all.

In relation to the memory, the machine is running Kingston RDIMM modules configured as NUMA.

My budget gaming rig built from scrap parts from my employer:

2x Xeon X5670 2.93ghz
SuperMicro X8DTi
48gb RAM DDR3-1333 (I'm slowly ramping up to 192GB that I have waiting to go in, because why not. :) )
120GB AData SSD (Gotta cut corners somewhere...)
2TB Seagate HDD
Radeon R9 290 4GB

All in; I paid $60 for the case, $40 for a PSU, $80 for the motherboard, and $50 for Heatsinks.

My budget gaming rig built from scrap parts from my employer:

2x Xeon X5670 2.93ghz
SuperMicro X8DTi
48gb RAM DDR3-1333 (I'm slowly ramping up to 192GB that I have waiting to go in, because why not. :) )
120GB AData SSD (Gotta cut corners somewhere...)
2TB Seagate HDD
Radeon R9 290 4GB

All in; I paid $60 for the case, $40 for a PSU, $80 for the motherboard, and $50 for Heatsinks.

It's amazing what you can scavenge up these days! Awesome rig!

I remember when I was a kid saving up for ages just to get a second hand C64, hardly anyone had computers. Now they're so plentiful you can get kick ass hardware like this for nix. :D

So my buddy has an old X58 Asus Rampage III, and I convinced him to get a Xeon X56xx. Now at first he did not believe me they are still very good in todays games etc.

Now tbh it very hard to find any good reliable benchmarks anywhere, but I did find one below comparing a X5675 @ 4.5ghz vs a 8700k @ 5ghz.

Kind of shocked me too seeing the benchmark. Not sure its 100% accurate or anything like that, but it is interesting to see these benchmarks.

Tech YES City is definitely reliable for benchmarks. He has a lot of really informative videos for people looking to put together budget systems. An overclocked X5675 is still a very viable processor for modern games.

Hi All,
anyone know if a Xeon will work in a Biostar Tpower x58 motherboard? Ive been running a 920 rock stable since 2010 in it, but am intrigued w/ the Xeon upgrade.
Thanks for any input!

Get the latest bios and see. It might work anyway. If not the X5xxx chips, maybe the W3xxx ones.

Hi All,
anyone know if a Xeon will work in a Biostar Tpower x58 motherboard? Ive been running a 920 rock stable since 2010 in it, but am intrigued w/ the Xeon upgrade.
Thanks for any input!

It supports Gulftown(i7 hexcores) with the latest bios update according to Biostar, I ran it through intelmicrocodelist and it does have the microcode for 206C2 which is also for the xeon hexcores. The microcode revision is pretty old and the later 0F(maybe 13 also) have issues with the uncore which this one is even earlier than those. If you can patch the latest microcode into your bios I don't see any reason why you couldn't get a mild overclock going on a X5650 or X5660 for really cheap that would be much more powerful than your current setup while adding an extra couple cores on top. Your board doesn't have the high amount of power phases like the high end boards. However with my X58A-UD5 rev.1 with the same amount of power phases I manage a perfectly stable 4.6ghz on air with a really good X5675 which didn't need much voltage at all to break 4ghz so you should definitely be able to do 4ghz as well.

Of course, this is unsupported territory. It's entirely possible it won't be stable, boot or explode into flames or whatever. However, with how cheap you can find 6 core westmere cpus it's a really solid gamble. If you get the 14 or 1D microcodes patched into your bios you should be fine. Some people have reported instabilities with the 2018 Spectre microcodes and my personal experience with it wasn't great either with random shut downs. I would consider it a safe bet to go with known good microcodes pre-spectre and 14 and 1D have always worked great for me on my X5675. I've read that some early motherboards just aren't compatible with xeons, needing hardware mods or something but I just can't find much any proof other than a single person saying a L5639 didn't work out of the box with their TPower X58 when they didn't even exist when the board came out and a later bios update added support for Gulftown.

You'll probably want to track down someone who knows a bit more about AMI bios editing and maybe has some first hand experience for X58 boards, I gave it a shot researching into it. You should be able to use MMTool 3.26(good luck finding a download) to patch in the microcodes, between using MCE to extract and check microcodes and reading some guides you should be able to do it yourself. I gave it a try with a MMTool I had on my computer and it seems to "work" after I had to edit the length of the 206C2 microcode to make MMTool happy, which is a reported issue of sorts but was left on the fault of MMTool.

It didn't seem too hard, I would probably start out with only swapping out the 206C2 microcode and testing your new cpu to see if it works. After that you could choose to update the rest of them if you want. I'll link a few pages that helped me out. When I tried editing the beta bios revisions for my gigabyte board which are twice as big as the standard bios and have to be flashed with a stupid windows 7 only program it would just brick and I would have to invoke the backup bios to flash over the corrupted beta bios. Your motherboard seems to have the bios on a removable chip which you can order spares so having a spare bios chip on hand which you've confirmed to work first before messing with it would definitely be the most absolute safe method possible or as a backup plan.

It also appears Biostar added microcodes for two 1156 cpus into your bios, I'm not sure if their bios developers are just a little slow, lazy or there was actually a reason but I found that interesting.

http://wp.xin.at/archives/4397
http://www.linuxmediaserver.net/linux-basics/modding-ami-bios/
https://www.win-raid.com/t12f16-Guide-AMI-non-UEFI-BIOS-Modding.html

Hey gang - going to be parting ways with my X58-based desktop (I live in Denver), let me know if any interest or advice on how to part out. It still works great but I never use it; moving on to a less powerful gaming laptop (about half as powerful based on Furmark bench) as I move into the 'having a family' stage of life. Thanks for your input!

My specs are:
CPU: Intel X5670 6 core @ 4.1ghz
Memory: 3x 8gb Crucial Ballistix Low Profile DDR3L-1600
MOBO: Gigabyte X58 UD3R v2
GPU: GTX 1080 FE
Custom Watercooled case:
HSF: Heatkiller 3.0 nickel base (and extra copper base)
GPU HSF: Heatkiller 1080 Nickel/acetal - brand new (not installed)
Radiators: 2x Black Ice Nemesis 280GTS XFLOW
Fans: 5x Noctua NF-A14 (2x per rad push only, 1 case side-mounted fan) /w Custom PWM fan controller + rear-mounted knob
Pump: Swiftech MCP655
Radiator: Custom
Case: Corsair 750D Airflow with side-mounted fan
PSU: EVGA P2- 750 power supply
UPS: Cyberpower 600W (6 months old)
Monitor: Benq XL2730Z 1440p 144hz Freesync monitor
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB
HDD: Western Digital 640GB

Attachments

• comp_pic.jpg
    comp_pic.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 0
  • comp_pic2.jpg
    comp_pic2.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi Napoleon,
I am kind of interested in your rig (or at least most of it)
let me know what you had in mind.

Hi Napoleon,
I am kind of interested in your rig (or at least most of it)
let me know what you had in mind.
Hey David - Can you let me know which parts you're interested in so I can get you some prices? Where are you located (thinking of shipping logistics)? Also if you want me to run any benchmarks for you, I'd be glad to. Here's 3dmark from a while ago: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12394579, stock video card. Not sure why I can't direct message you.

Hi,
I am in Seattle 98155
I already have a 1080 GPU
even though I am on the Hard web site daily I rarely respond in the Forums.
you can reach me @ [email protected] or txt @ 206-949-1135
below is what I am interested in.
Thank you.
David

CPU: Intel X5670 6 core @ 4.1ghz
Memory: 3x 8gb Crucial Ballistix Low Profile DDR3L-1600
MOBO: Gigabyte X58 UD3R v2
Custom Watercooled case:
HSF: Heatkiller 3.0 nickel base (and extra copper base)
GPU HSF: Heatkiller 1080 Nickel/acetal - brand new (not installed)
Radiators: 2x Black Ice Nemesis 280GTS XFLOW
Fans: 5x Noctua NF-A14 (2x per rad push only, 1 case side-mounted fan) /w Custom PWM fan controller + rear-mounted knob
Pump: Swiftech MCP655
Radiator: Custom
Case: Corsair 750D Airflow with side-mounted fan
PSU: EVGA P2- 750 power supply

my x58 is officially offline permanently....motherboard has been diieing a slow death and its time to retire it. (i think the sata ports have been on the way out....this thing wasn t meant to last 10 years lol
I need to order a new setup SOON.....I need suggestions... obviously the new ryzens are at the top of my list cause the 8 core skylakes are way higher..but is it worth the extra money? Some of you experienced hands chime in please.....the thread rippers are a possabality as well....but part of me wants to stay with intel

I thought that the original ryzen was a little bit of a bump over the x5675 at a~4.4 GHz. However I bought an 8700k afterwards thinking I would see a big jump. While measurable I don't know if I was super impressed. Pair that with the fact that ryzen 2 gets better clocks and still maintains the two core advantage... I'd go for the 2700x. However if Intel releases a reasonably priced 8 core I might stick around.

I thought that the original ryzen was a little bit of a bump over the x5675 at a~4.4 GHz. However I bought an 8700k afterwards thinking I would see a big jump. While measurable I don't know if I was super impressed. Pair that with the fact that ryzen 2 gets better clocks and still maintains the two core advantage... I'd go for the 2700x. However if Intel releases a reasonably priced 8 core I might stick around.
thats exactly my thoughts......which will be the better platform down the road? maybe both are good choices

Sad to hear it failed on you. If you are interested I do plan to sell my X58 sabertooth X5675 and memory for cheap. If you are interested just give me a PM. I do not need them anymore.

suck it died on you. But, I went with a 2700 non K, and I have been very happy with this setup, just makes sure you get wicked fast memory for it.

What upgrade path you guy think-opinions???

Wishing there was a clear UPgrade from my X5670 at 4.4 with 24gigs, ssd's and 1080ti but.........Sad the only thing i want is PCIe Nvme but even then the only thing that feels better form what i have tested is TheardRipper and TitanV !!! Even 8700k at 4.9 didn't seem that fast or Snappy??? Then again they DON'T make motherboards like my Gigabyte GA-X58A-OC (ALL solid Caps, Coils, and Chokes) Running 24/7 9 plus years... Got it wet twice from bad AIO water coolers but won't die!
But I know she won't live forever and this board go for 400-500+ on ebay if you can find one.

So Wait for the next big thing Treadripper2? maybe 1100GTX?

What would you Guy's do???

What upgrade path you guy think-opinions???

Wishing there was a clear UPgrade from my X5670 at 4.4 with 24gigs, ssd's and 1080ti but.........Sad the only thing i want is PCIe Nvme but even then the only thing that feels better form what i have tested is TheardRipper and TitanV !!! Even 8700k at 4.9 didn't seem that fast or Snappy??? Then again they DON'T make motherboards like my Gigabyte GA-X58A-OC (ALL solid Caps, Coils, and Chokes) Running 24/7 9 plus years... Got it wet twice from bad AIO water coolers but won't die!
But I know she won't live forever and this board go for 400-500+ on ebay if you can find one.

So Wait for the next big thing Treadripper2? maybe 1100GTX?

What would you Guy's do???

Haha almost exact same setup, X5670 @ 4.2 Gigabyte X58-Extreme (UD5) with 24gigs, only thing I want is NVME as well. What are your settings for 4.4? I could never get 4.4 stable on this (maybe the OC board has better optimizations)?

As someone that boots off a m.2 > pcie SSD on my x58 system the perceivable difference between the pcie solution and native is 3/10ths of stuff all. There is no perceptible difference.

m.2 SATA or NVME? I've used NVME based laptops with less raw CPU power and RAM that feels snappier than my desktop.

I did have a M.2 NVME drive as a boot device on my X58 sabertooth. If I remember I was getting around 1100/700MB speeds. With that same samsung 951 drive on my Ryzen setup I get 2200/1200 speeds (going off memory im at work).

So yes it does work, and it is fast, but you really do handicap yourself. But it does work.

I did have a M.2 NVME drive as a boot device on my X58 sabertooth. If I remember I was getting around 1100/700MB speeds. With that same samsung 951 drive on my Ryzen setup I get 2200/1200 speeds (going off memory im at work).

So yes it does work, and it is fast, but you really do handicap yourself. But it does work.

All it took was 9 years after initial release to really getting limited/obsolete, long live X58!

Note: I was talking about perceptible performance. Dyno testing your PC rarely reflects under real world usage. 1100/700 is nothing to sneer at. ;)

Yeah, unless I was copying or re encoding raw files I saw no perceived difference, but running benches or extreme scenarios did the ryzen win. Day to day matters are solid on all, but better usb 3 ports and cases that use usb 3, faster ram, and more ports all add up

I have a eVGA USB3 card from way back when they were onsale to address USB3 situation. Otherwise 10Gbe Networking to my NAS is the true "want" but that's more of a nice to have. Will probably ride this pony until the end :)

Reactions: bjtag
like this
Yeah, unless I was copying or re encoding raw files I saw no perceived difference, but running benches or extreme scenarios did the ryzen win. Day to day matters are solid on all, but better usb 3 ports and cases that use usb 3, faster ram, and more ports all add up

I've got USB3 via a pcie x4 adapter, runs at great speeds. I'm also running SATA3 6Gbps that's probably slightly faster than native. Everything you want can be added to x58.

Haha almost exact same setup, X5670 @ 4.2 Gigabyte X58-Extreme (UD5) with 24gigs, only thing I want is NVME as well. What are your settings for 4.4? I could never get 4.4 stable on this (maybe the OC board has better optimizations)?

Also have Gigabyte x58 UD3 v2 with i7 970 hex core running video/dvd/ripping daily duties 10+ years also...

Qpi volt seem to be the most sensitive.... Cpu volt only seem to matter under 1.3v had at 1.4 but turned down and more stable... running 22 multi on 202 bus 1616 mem on 1T
Most settings auto but CPU QPI PLL MEM
When get home tonight will pull bios settings...

Last edited:
I've been kicking around the idea of downsizing my system from the dual-socket board to a more workstation oriented single socket board with overclocking options. It's nice having the 12 RAM slots and 24 threads, but I don't really think I'm gaining that much having that in my day-to-day usage.

I've been kicking around the idea of downsizing my system from the dual-socket board to a more workstation oriented single socket board with overclocking options. It's nice having the 12 RAM slots and 24 threads, but I don't really think I'm gaining that much having that in my day-to-day usage.

ThreadRipper2 would be Good downsize for you LOL.....

As for Disk speeds..... Ran 4 250 gig SSDs in Raid-0 from internal sata2 ports(sata3 ports were slower)... 6-7 years ago 1200+ Mbs but no Snappier then one good SSD... Transfers were great but that's it... No real Feel Gains. True PCIe NVME has what i want and no add-in trumps that!

As for Disk speeds..... Ran 4 250 gig SSDs in Raid-0 from internal sata2 ports(sata3 ports were slower)... 6-7 years ago 1200+ Mbs but no Snappier then one good SSD... Transfers were great but that's it... No real Feel Gains. True PCIe NVME has what i want and no add-in trumps that!
Yeah I'm ready for starting over with all the brand new stuff built into the motherboard....and I have way less time for tweaking things as well....I won't resort to prebuilt systems...but I'm looking for it to just work....I kinda feel like 2700x with asus rog extrem could be it. Later I'll buy m2s when they hit 2tb mainstreaming

I was trying to keep the cost as close to $0 as possible. Besides, a modern i5 or i7 would easily run circles around my current system.

I always see people say this and honestly, it depends on what you're doing. For instance, my dual X5675's are absolutely fabulous when running multiple VM's, which I do all the time, they're also brilliant at multithreaded video encoding - 12 physical and 12 virtual cores are irreplaceable sometimes. Considering the cost of alternatives and the physical number of cores, a dual X56xx system is still a very capable machine. Even the single core performance of my X5675's at turbo clocks isn't that bad considering the amount of money this system owes me.

If you're using onboard sata 3 solutions they'll be slower. Use a solution such as an LSI SAS9211 and sata 3 speeds are fantastic. I can honestly say that I don't find the speeds of my m.2 to pcie Kingston Hyper X SSD to be lacking in any way at all.

11-353-105-01.jpg
13-119-004-V07.jpg
20-232-229-04.jpg
19-113-499-V01.jpg
AA09_1309541294344046910Tc12vrjUL.jpg

My current list...
$1,036.78

Of course i will transplant my other stuff to the new build.

Should i pull the trigger already? Or should i get different ram or whatever

View attachment 89924 View attachment 89925 View attachment 89926 View attachment 89927 View attachment 89928
My current list...
$1,036.78

Of course i will transplant my other stuff to the new build.

Should i pull the trigger already? Or should i get different ram or whatever

Well depends on the memory. I went with these g.skill - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232306&ignorebbr=1 Helped me get SUPER low timing! Now you might want to look at the X470, I am pretty sure you can get SUPER low timings with that board over the X370.

You can see what I can get with that memory and MB from my previous posts in the AMD forum - https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen-2700-vs-2700x-in-overclocking.1959195/#post-1043716092

Grats if you go this route either way!

Well depends on the memory. I went with these g.skill - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232306&ignorebbr=1 Helped me get SUPER low timing! Now you might want to look at the X470, I am pretty sure you can get SUPER low timings with that board over the X370.

You can see what I can get with that memory and MB from my previous posts in the AMD forum - https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen-2700-vs-2700x-in-overclocking.1959195/#post-1043716092

Grats if you go this route either way!
oh crap thanks.....i didnt even realize i was picking the older chipset..yep i definitely want the x470!

Back