1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

I have had nothing but trouble with RAID
As in what way? Honestly my raid for the majority of its life span has been picture perfect for about 9 years or what ever.....its only been id say the last 12 months i get this "raid failed" during bios post which seems to happen intermitly....like 3 weeks its fine then all of a sudden its once a week....I just power off and reseat the drives sata ports (which may or may not be fixing the issue) and it boots up fine after that. I must have got 8 years with zero issues including windows install and build upgrades. Either my sata cables are all a sudden going out, or my board is developing some issues with the raid chipset....but I thought even the drives could be getting to old....but they were comercial grade and all checks show them in perfect condition ....I guess the smart choice would be to purchase a huge 4tb or bigger 7200 rpm drive and retire the outdated wedtern digital 2tb raid. (1 tb each).... wouldn't it be something if all a sudden my windows installs get back to smooth operation again lol

I don't know man, I have lost waaaay more data to corrupt RAID 1 volumes than I have to hardware failure. I don't even play with them any more. and it sounds like you are playing with RAID 0...that is just asking for trouble IMO

I don't know man, I have lost waaaay more data to corrupt RAID 1 volumes than I have to hardware failure. I don't even play with them any more. and it sounds like you are playing with RAID 0...that is just asking for trouble IMO
yea its raid 0.....but ive decided to go ahead and retire it. It's really only been used in a storage/ backup drive. I've only had one failure and it was a non raid external config.....which let's the drives get to hot. I'm pretty sure this raid has been going since even before my x58s was put into use so no complaints lol

Yea me either. From what I read have been reading these Xeon's like odd numbered multipliers. So the X5675 has a 23x available. That is what made me easily hit the 4.6ghz. Now being stable is a whole other thing to even get. Really am shocked how stable it was. Now I do need to try some games, but I am waiting for prices to get a lil better. My Original 980ti died, and I am still waiting for a damn check from MSI....

Anyway looks like these old dog of a Chipset have some legs still!

My X5675 loves the 23x200 also, I'm running 1.3875v and 1.275v on the QPI. I scooped this X5675 for $25 and compared to my previous X5660 even the thermals are better. It sticks around the high 70's on air with a NH-D14 during P95.

My X5660 just refused to do anything more than 23x191 and that was at 1.355v and 1.335v on the QPI while core 6 would near instantly peg out at 98c with core 3 at like 78c during a P95... Anything more at all and it just wasn't remotely stable even if you gave it significant voltage jumps. That X5660 replaced a totally bunk i7 930 that managed 3.85ghz stable and never reached the big "4ghz stable" I bought it for in 2010. Unfortunately I didn't find out about cheap 1366 Xeons until last year when I was pricing out what was pretty much a downgrade to a Ryzen 5 setup for $500 compared to $42 for a X5660 and another 6gb of ram.

I think one of the best upsides to these old boards in the current market with a Xeon is that you can pick up the ECC unbuffered memory for pennies and just fill all the slots. I picked up 3x2gb Samsung ECC unbuffered for $18 shipped and run it with my G.Skill Pi Series all at 1600mhz 8-8-8-20-1T. I've eyed some of that 1866mhz Mac Pro memory with the black PCB but I don't think I can justify it when my memory works fine already.

With my GA-X58A-UD5 rev.1 board though, a while back I ended up tracking down and patching in all of the latest(pre-spectre) microcodes into the latest non-beta(F6) bios for my board. Initially I had issues with changing the uncore multi causing it to not post at all and requiring unsafe amounts of QPI voltage to go further. I assume the backup bios could have been partially to blame for this. Which if you have never personally updated on your gigabyte board you really need to or god help you if you don't have a spare i7 on hand. You have to install Windows 7 to install a beta bios via [at]bios and when I did solely to mess around with them it was never at any point stable with a noticable overclock.

Anyways, here's some numbers. Wish I could figure out what made 4.8ghz work for the 1092cb but it was totally bugged with the base clock, turbo boost or something. CPU-Z was reporting it as 23x200 while OpenHardwareMonitor was reporting 23x209 and it was super funky and confusing. I decided to run a Cinebench and it just belted out a way higher score when I was expecting a near instant BSOD on a lower vcore than I am running for 23x200. I rebooted and it changed the clocks without touching the bios, then afterwards the same settings scored like 60 less. I went for 23x200 and it was super easy to make stable.

https://valid.x86.fr/zle31j

5VQHNXm.png
[/USER]

I'm astonished so many of you are able to hit 200 on the front bus -- my i7 960 can barely run 25x155 at 1.28v. Any higher voltage and it gets a little twitchy. Shouldn't be cooling issues, I've got a H110i stuck to it.

I'm astonished so many of you are able to hit 200 on the front bus -- my i7 960 can barely run 25x155 at 1.28v. Any higher voltage and it gets a little twitchy. Shouldn't be cooling issues, I've got a H110i stuck to it.

Different IMC revision, and QPI throughput changes a lot in regards to what type of overclocking can be done.

Different IMC revision, and QPI throughput changes a lot in regards to what type of overclocking can be done.

I'm convinced its the motherboard -- it's always been a tad twitchy. It's still working -- but I don't think I'm dumping any money into it for better CPUs or whatnot.

Asus X58 Sabertooth

I'm convinced its the motherboard -- it's always been a tad twitchy. It's still working -- but I don't think I'm dumping any money into it for better CPUs or whatnot.

Asus X58 Sabertooth

I have two sabertooths and both of them hit 200 easy on x5660s.

Your i7 is a 45 nm chip versus the Xeons at 32. Your board may be fine with a Xeon. I struggled to get my i7's over 3.8 regardless of config but never had a problem getting the Xeons to 4.2 using bclks from 166-201.

I have owned 4-5 X58 motherboards over the years, and I have never had one not hit 200 bclk on any I7 or Xeon. Now most of the motherboards were 2nd gen versions. Meaning they had the Sata 6.0 and USB 3.0 ports. Also to note all 5 were Asus motherboards.

Last edited:
I have owned 4-5 X58 motherboards over the years, and I have never had one not hit 200 bclk on any I7 or Xeon. Now most of the motherboards were 2nd gen versions. Meaning they had the Sata 6.0 and USB 3.0 ports. Also to note all 5 were Asus motherboards.

SATA 3 and USB 3 are via add-on chip. The usual marvell implementations of SATA 3 leave something to be desired and often perform worse than SATA 2 Intel controllers. I had a NVMe drive on mine and at PCIe 2.0 speeds it still was pretty fast. Faster than both SATA 2 Intel or SATA 3 Marvell.

SATA 3 and USB 3 are via add-on chip. The usual marvell implementations of SATA 3 leave something to be desired and often perform worse than SATA 2 Intel controllers. I had a NVMe drive on mine and at PCIe 2.0 speeds it still was pretty fast. Faster than both SATA 2 Intel or SATA 3 Marvell.

"often" ??

I have not seen, nor heard of, one that did not suck ass.

Unless someone chimes in with data I think it is pretty safe to say that the Marvel SATA3 simply ARE inferior to the native SATA2.

I am happy to be shown to be wrong...but I ain't seen it.

"often" ??

I have not seen, nor heard of, one that did not suck ass.

Unless someone chimes in with data I think it is pretty safe to say that the Marvel SATA3 simply ARE inferior to the native SATA2.

I am happy to be shown to be wrong...but I ain't seen it.

This is what I understood as well. I never used them on any of my Asus boards. All I am stating is the first gen X58 motherboards that did not have them were not able to get 200 bclk. As the later X58's that were released with Sata 3.0 and USB 3.0 all seemed to hit 200 bclk with ease.

It really hasn't ever been the motherboard limiting you, unless VTT (QPI/Uncore) voltage droops by way of poor board design are happening. BCLK of 200 being a non-starter, is more influenced by the IMC being flaky. Earlier LGA1336 IMC (C0/C1) had problems running tight timings and 6 sticks of RAM in tri-channel mode, and even more issues in tri-channel mode with mixed RAM for the last channel. D0 revisions of the i7 920, had a much less finicky IMC. The LGA1336 Xeons that we are dealing with now, were released two+ years later than C0/C1.

If I recall my I7-960 stepping is D0 -- I am running 6 sticks of ram in tri-channel mode, but it's all the same RAM, NOT mixed.
Hadn't thought of this until now -- but I should check the ram voltage under load, I wonder if it's dropping pretty hard and fall out of spec.

Alright i recently retired my raid 0 set up since i was getting interment failures...Did a clean install with 1803 on the same SSD cause my dam MFT was somehow on the old raid setup.....but i want to make sure i have the correct drivers installed. Seems like i had intel drivers installed under storage controllers and or IDE ATA controllers....right now its just showing standard Microsoft ones...Anyone here using windows 10 latest build and intel drivers?.....Cause im sure it gives higher performance at least to some degree. Take a look in your device manager and let me know please.

Alright i recently retired my raid 0 set up since i was getting interment failures...Did a clean install with 1803 on the same SSD cause my dam MFT was somehow on the old raid setup.....but i want to make sure i have the correct drivers installed. Seems like i had intel drivers installed under storage controllers and or IDE ATA controllers....right now its just showing standard Microsoft ones...Anyone here using windows 10 latest build and intel drivers?.....Cause im sure it gives higher performance at least to some degree. Take a look in your device manager and let me know please.

Intel INF drivers don't really improve performance in almost all cases. You might benefit if you hacked your BIOS to support newer versions of the ICH10R under RAID situations -- but you just abandoned your RAID0. Windows 10 drivers vs Intel drivers are no performance difference in the real world. Want faster disk speed? Throw in an LSI SAS HBA or ASMedia SATA3 adapter.

Intel INF drivers don't really improve performance in almost all cases. You might benefit if you hacked your BIOS to support newer versions of the ICH10R under RAID situations -- but you just abandoned your RAID0. Windows 10 drivers vs Intel drivers are no performance difference in the real world. Want faster disk speed? Throw in an LSI SAS HBA or ASMedia SATA3 adapter.
possibly...i mean its not like my new storage drive (Seagate Exos) was striped or anything..but it was running with intel drivers and was hitting around 230MBS with crystal mark....under microsoft generic driver its topping out around 200.....its been MY experience vendor specific drivers ALWAYS perform better....but i do appreciate your input. Are you trying to tell me that i cant install intel drivers just because i have it set to ACHI instead of Raid in the bios.....I always figured it was the same thing if the drives were not stripped....Did i have a bad understanding of how it really works? lol:)

ill take your word for it......lol i just always used this board as raid over last 8 years....the more i read into it, its pretty pointless if not striping...

Last edited:
Are you trying to tell me that i cant install intel drivers just because i have it set to ACHI instead of Raid in the bios.....I always figured it was the same thing if the drives were not stripped....Did i have a bad understanding of how it really works? lol:)

No -- I am trying to tell you, the newer Intel INF for the Intel ICH10R controller only adds features/performance for a more up to date firmware of said controller, which would require BIOS hacking to a newer firmware to even utilize said features. If you're using AHCI or Legacy IDE mode, none of the Intel Matrix RAID crap update from a newer firmware would matter -- it's usually drive compatibility, quirks, and very rarely performance enhancements in RAID mode. Most of the time, all Intel INF does, is just rename your drivers and slap a newer date on the drivers in devmgmt.msc -- they usually use the same dependencies, and rarely change much, especially when the platform is deprecated like X58 is.

If you really want to fix what isn't broken, go here: https://www.win-raid.com/t11f23-Modded-Intel-AHCI-and-RAID-Drivers-digitally-signed.html

Then get: Intel RST(e) v11.7.4.1001

That *should* work with ICH10R, and give you the placebo effect you want.

no ill let it go lol......its just seems a little weird since all these years i had it set to raid with "intel" drivers....after a bit of research it seems your right. Matter of fact im kinda thinking that using the raid drivers with modern windows build could be asking for trouble. (with our x58 anyway)

a bit unrelated but my ancient amd laptop gets3 times the sata performance with amd sata driver...i guess its different from our boards

I'm running an LSI SAS9211 PCIE 8x raid controller card flashed to IT firmware for JBOD with no bios at post and it's easily just as fast as any Intel SATA 3 onboard solution.

I'm also running a m.2 to PCIE adapter which is technically way faster than SATA 3 and realistically speaking I can quite easily live with SATA 3 via the LSI SAS9211, the difference isn't that staggering.

I'm running an LSI SAS9211 PCIE 8x raid controller card flashed to IT firmware for JBOD with no bios at post and it's easily just as fast as any Intel SATA 3 onboard solution.

I'm also running a m.2 to PCIE adapter which is technically way faster than SATA 3 and realistically speaking I can quite easily live with SATA 3 via the LSI SAS9211, the difference isn't that staggering.

Same here. The only real limit for NVMe was PCIe 2.0 which capped speeds around 1400MB/s on my 950 Pro. I haven't had any issues with my 9211 and spinners.

Same here. The only real limit for NVMe was PCIe 2.0 which capped speeds around 1400MB/s on my 950 Pro. I haven't had any issues with my 9211 and spinners.

1400MB/s is still crazy fast, theoretically. I find in the real world the improvements aren't quite as staggering.

Hey guys. I am not sure where else to post about this because so few people use these dinosaur processors anymore. I have an Asus Rampage Gene II mobo with an i7 950@ 4.0 Ghz. I have ran it overclocked on water since I got the proc back in 2009 and its been a champ. Today the thing decided that its gonna start freaking out on me. As soon as I turn on the system, the core temp jumps to over 80C!! The only change I have made recently was giving my system a good cleaning. I have not taken off my waterblock in about 2 years, but my temps have always been in normal range as I keep tabs on them due to the overclock. Voltages are also well within safe limits, although the 1.4V I have for the CPU is pushing it a little, its been set to that since day 1. Other than re-seating the WB (which I intend to do as soon as I get new thermal paste), are there any other issues I should be looking at or concerned about as this thing ages?

I wouldn't be concerned about anything more than the fact you could upgrade to a westmere hex core for $25! You can buy many nehalem xeon quads for less than $5 for something equivalent to all of the lower end i7's. As long as your motherboard is good enough to keep up I wouldn't be concerned about degrading a 1366 quad core at all. I'm not even running 1.4v through my X5675 to get 4.6ghz on air.

Going from a 930 at max of 3.85ghz to a X5675 was one of the best things I ever did with my setup while filling all my extra ram slots with $18 worth of ddr3 ecc unbuffered.

Maybe upgrade your PSU to something that's more modern and modular if you haven't? I noticed a huge difference in voltage output from the psu going from a 10+ year old Thermal Toughpower 750w to a Seasonic Focus+ 850w and everything should be much smoother since this thing doesn't even flinch at a load.

So my buddy has an old X58 Asus Rampage III, and I convinced him to get a Xeon X56xx. Now at first he did not believe me they are still very good in todays games etc.

Now tbh it very hard to find any good reliable benchmarks anywhere, but I did find one below comparing a X5675 @ 4.5ghz vs a 8700k @ 5ghz.

Kind of shocked me too seeing the benchmark. Not sure its 100% accurate or anything like that, but it is interesting to see these benchmarks.

Hi guys. I'm new to desktop computers and overclocking but I have some ideia of what hardware and software are.
So I got inspired buy the youtuber you see in the video posted in the last comment and I decided to build a price/performance PC.
I bought:
Motherboard: MSI BIG BANG XPOWER
CPU: Xeon X5675
Ram: 3 x 4GB Kingston HIperx Fury DDR3 1333mhz
HDD: WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB 3.5 SATA 6Gbs 64MB 7200Rpm
Cooler: Watercooler Corsair H80
PSU: Corsair RM850x Gold
Video Card: MSI GT 1030 2GB DDR5 OC

I was able to get a stable overclock at 4.393 Ghz with voltages at auto settings (cause I dont know how to set them properly).
I'm running at 191x23
Disabled Turbo boost and power saving options. Set ram's to 9-9-9-24 and running at 1528 mhz (this is the second option on my bios)
It can go higher, up to 4.5 Ghz at 196x23 or 184x25, boot, and stress test on AIDA64, CPU-Z and works fine.
Temps don't go far from 60º C on 100% load but when I run cinebench ou firestrike somewhere along the way the PC crashes.
I believe that with proper settings on voltage and not using auto options it can go up to 200x23 or more and dont crash.
But I need help. Can someone help me? At this moment the PC is solid rock on 191x23 = 4.393Ghz, rams at 9-9-9-24 running at 1528mhz.
Cinebench score arround 1040. CPU-Z single at around 380 pts and multicore at arround 3050 points.

My case has more striped out screw holes and missing parts than most people in these forums lol And my Antec 900 is down to 2 working case fans lol. I want a newer case with better wire management and newer features. (But im not ready to give up optical drives yet)

Any thoughts on this case? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...a4e-5aecb1453b40&pf_rd_r=S449DABQ1SKJ551JSPHN
81hcCVFYH4L._SL1500_.jpg

Only Mid size or smaller? Check
Has Window? Check
Can install BD Drive? Check
Can have as good or better Air cooling (or water) than what i currently use? Check

Of course id Have to order fans as well...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076BDLTF6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2BNHNMI089WSH&psc=1 look interesting and affordable

ended up ordering this one instead! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BI0X82M/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
81h5mjeP-6L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Throw in an LSI SAS HBA or ASMedia SATA3 adapter.

An LSI SAS HBA is extremely unlikely to work as expected. I'm pretty sure I posted my experience with an LSI HBA in this very thread, had to jump through hoops just to get the system to post and couldn't use it to boot an OS. Most pointless exercise I ever undertook and it ended up in a box in the garage.

An LSI SAS HBA is extremely unlikely to work as expected. I'm pretty sure I posted my experience with an LSI HBA in this very thread, had to jump through hoops just to get the system to post and couldn't use it to boot an OS. Most pointless exercise I ever undertook and it ended up in a box in the garage.

Dell H200, Dell H310, and LSI SAS 9300-8i work fine for certain on Gigabyte X58 based boards (UD3, and UD5), and on Dell Precision T3500/T5500 motherboards. I'm booting off of H200, and H310 models specifically. They worked in IT mode, but I have them flashed standard Dell IR firmware, for RAID1. The T3500 was a fresh install with the H200, no extra drivers required on install, but the H310 and 9300-8i usage were drop in replacements for the prior ASMedia PCI-E cards I was using until I decided I wanted RAID1 on the boot drives. You should probably mess around with the firmware, and either go LSI generic, or vendor specific to not upset the Windows 10 HAL gods.

LSI SAS HBA here in IT mode with boot bios on a Dell T5500, no issues whatsoever. Do people realize that SFF-8087 to SATA leads are both forward and reverse breakout? You need a forward breakout lead otherwise you will never see any HDD's and never get the card working.

I have to say, hats off to Asrock. I have a W3670 running on an Asrock X58 Extreme3 serving as my HTPC. It was in a Silverstone case with a height limit of about 110mm for the CPU cooler. I had a Cooler Master S524 installed, but even at a modest OC of 3.66GHz, the temps would top 70C.

I finally found an HTPC-suitable case that will fit a 240mm radiator AND a full-sized ATX mobo (Thermaltake Core G3 slim ATX). After moving the system into the new case and installing an H105 AIO, I started clocking. I got to 25x167, but I couldn't get stability at a higher BClock. On a whim, I tried the fastest overclock preset in the BIOS, 21X200, expecting to have to reset CMOS after failure. To my surprise, it booted to desktop. I fired up Handbrake and soon got a program error, but not a bluescreen. The VCore preset was +0.35V offset, so I bumped it to +0.4V. Handbrake finished a re-encode of a 2 hour Blu-Ray. The highest temp on the hottest core was 69C, but once the fans spun up the hottest core stayed around 63C. CPU-Z showed a VCore of 1.328-1.33V.

There are 2 problems. First, after the CPU load is back to baseline, the fans keep spinning at high RPM until I restart. I can live with that. Second, with 6x2GB DIMMs, mixed kits with different voltage and timing specs, I have to run DDR3 1200 instead of 1600. I'm going to put a 3x4GB kit in and see if I can get 1600 for the RAM.

Last edited:
My main PC used daily:

- Dell T5500.
- Dual X5675 Xeons.
- Nvidia 980Ti.
- LSI 9211-8i flashed to IT mode with no boot bios for SATA 2 6Gbps.
- Kingston HyperX m.2 SSD on a m.2 to pcie adapter as the boot drive.
- Soundblaster X-Fi
- Seagate 1TB HDD for general storage.
- Hitachi 1TB HDD for /home (OS is Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS).
- 12GB ECC DDR3 (6GB + 6GB).
- LG HDDVD/BD optical drive.
- Dual HP EliteDisplay E241i IPS 1920 x 1200 monitors.

Large image warning, if they're too big let me know and I'll use smaller images.

VWEOcKo.jpg

EQMoZDv.jpg

My main PC used daily:

- Dell T5500.
- Dual X5675 Xeons.
- Nvidia 980Ti.
- LSI 9211-8i flashed to IT mode with no boot bios for SATA 2 6Gbps.
- Kingston HyperX m.2 SSD on a m.2 to pcie adapter as the boot drive.
- Soundblaster X-Fi
- Seagate 1TB HDD for general storage.
- Hitachi 1TB HDD for /home (OS is Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS).
- 12GB ECC DDR3 (6GB + 6GB).
- LG HDDVD/BD optical drive.
- Dual HP EliteDisplay E241i IPS 1920 x 1200 monitors.

Large image warning, if they're too big let me know and I'll use smaller images.

One thing I could recommend to you is to mount 2 80mm fans in the back to help exhaust the air out. I did that with mine (Dual X5660, 96GB RAM, Radeon 6970), it helped bring the temps down a bit.

One thing I could recommend to you is to mount 2 80mm fans in the back to help exhaust the air out. I did that with mine (Dual X5660, 96GB RAM, Radeon 6970), it helped bring the temps down a bit.

Honestly, I have thought about doing just that. The issue is that this system runs 24/7 (I don't turn my PC off!) and I'm a little concerned about noise. Did adding the fans to the rear of the case create noticeably more noise in your experience?

Back