1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Gives me great hope for my upcoming X5670 upgrade.

Next week... the fun begins... MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

Let us know how it goes. My brother had a P6T basic board and we had it running well for about 3-4 months. It started some random restart stuff that we couldn't resolve. Switched to a Gigabyte board and it's back up and running at a very easy 4.0ghz. I have so much fun messing with these setups. I have owned my board for 8 or 9 years I think. I still can't believe how well these setups are running after all these years.

Let us know how it goes. My brother had a P6T basic board and we had it running well for about 3-4 months. It started some random restart stuff that we couldn't resolve. Switched to a Gigabyte board and it's back up and running at a very easy 4.0ghz. I have so much fun messing with these setups. I have owned my board for 8 or 9 years I think. I still can't believe how well these setups are running after all these years.
Planning on it.

Can't we get PCIe boards for all three of those?

You can boot from PCI-e SSD's but they must support AHCI, so newer SSD's like the 960 Evo will not be bootable and the older SSD's like the 950 Pro don't perform as well. The PCI-e 2.0 will also limit any high speed SSD to around 1700-2000mb/s as the SSD's are limited to four lanes, which isn't bad but the 950 Pro's aren't cheap and perform worse than a 960 Evo for example.

PCI-e USB3 is more or less fine for most uses.

Unfortunately, most sub $100 PCI-e SATA3 add-in cards do not offer good performance for SSD's unless you get a proper RAID controller (like Intel or LSI) which can run for $200+.

Big caveat will be limitation of the proprietary heatsink.
The OEM heatsink in the T3500 is actually pretty good. The problem is that the only air blowing through it is from the case fans but this can easily be fixed. There is lots of room so you can strap a case fan to the side of the heatsink and get some proper airflow going through it.

t3oWgUS.png

Big difference. When stress testing, this simple mod can drop core temps by 30°C. No need to upgrade the heatsink.

As for performance, a T3500 with an unlocked and overclocked W3680 is still a capable performer. A W5590 should be fun too.

xQPNMhH.png

For comparison, the W3670 in my EVGA X58 board is also a capable performer.

3XBqVgb.png

Last edited:
Well before the forum's got all awful, there was some modded and hacked bioses that should be able to run a lot of those Xeon's, find that stuff man and try to get some to run...I had a bios chip I probably could of ran some stuff but I lost the damn thing....

The OEM heatsink in the T3500 is actually pretty good. The problem is that the only air blowing through it is from the case fans but this can easily be fixed. There is lots of room so you can strap a case fan to the side of the heatsink and get some proper airflow going through it.

t3oWgUS.png

Big difference. When stress testing, this simple mod can drop core temps by 30°C. No need to upgrade the heatsink.

As for performance, a T3500 with an unlocked and overclocked W3680 is still a capable performer. A W5590 should be fun too.

xQPNMhH.png

3XBqVgb.png
I hate to say thus, but
2chl3lf.jpg

See why are you still seeing copper bases/piping still? but aluminum fins? Because copper is better at picking up heat but aluminum is still better at dissipating it. It's no different in the loop...other than it's going to corrode....but still the best in theory.

t3oWgUS.png

xQPNMhH.png

3XBqVgb.png
Thanks for the advice. That is my image actually. Interesting to see how it has spread all over the net in the past year. The fan mod does work well. Especially when you get control of the high flow delta intakes with SpeedFan. Dell's fan control by way of front panel thermistor is somewhat lacking in this type application.

These T3500 do make great gaming systems. Runs this power hungry RX 480 gaming X no problem. Eliminated the swing out drive caddy and moved both drives up top. Really cleans up the wiring and puts them behind the top vent keeping them cooler. Painting the front aluminum bezel black gives them a sleek look. Virtually invisible in a darker room while gaming.

Back on topic. Was considering W3670 and W3680. Impressive OCs with them in this discussion. :cool: But could not see myself paying a premium for hex core when mine will be used primarily for gaming.

Attachments

• T3500. two.jpg
    T3500. two.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 16
  • t3500.three.jpg
    t3500.three.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I thought about painting mine black just like you did. Looks a lot better. Was it pretty simple removing the silver bezel front or did you just tape everything off?

I thought about painting mine black just like you did. Looks a lot better. Was it pretty simple removing the silver bezel front or did you just tape everything off?
Should pop off easily.

Attachments

• bezel.jpg
    bezel.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 10
Looking to reduce power consumption, potentially at the expense of a little clock speed. currently running 24 x 172 , x44 qpi, x16 uncore, x8 ram.

C1E - disabled
C3/c6/c7 disabled
CPU EIST function disabled

Where should I start? Clock? C-states? I went to 24x166 and enabled the above c-states and only saved like 20VA and my performance dropped more

I don't have my current voltages written down but of course would reduce them if still stable.

Looking to reduce power consumption, potentially at the expense of a little clock speed. currently running 24 x 172 , x44 qpi, x16 uncore, x8 ram.

C1E - disabled
C3/c6/c7 disabled
CPU EIST function disabled

Where should I start? Clock? C-states? I went to 24x166 and enabled the above c-states and only saved like 20VA and my performance dropped more

I don't have my current voltages written down but of course would reduce them if still stable.

I run:

C1E - enabled
C3/C6/C7 - disabled
CPU EIST Function - enabled

And then I run my CPU VCore setting on - Normal
Dynamic Vcore (DVID) must add additional voltage so that your base Vcore + DVID = max Vcore you have currently found to be a stable setting. So for example if you know 1.35V is a stable Vcore, make sure base Vcore + DVID = 1.35V in your BIOS settings. This will require you to manually pick your DVID voltage adder setting in BIOS.

Make sure your Windows power settings are set to Balanced.

I haven't done any actual power measurements, but with the above settings, my CPU idles down to 2.4Ghz and 1.2V when nothing is being used. Upon CPU load, it dynamically jumps to 4.2Ghz and 1.35V. All 100% stable.

Well I found some board some newly redone stuff looks like a 12 phase board...idk china no name...but it can run the Xeon's so that's dope...see if this x5650 is still any good..Idk might of been a server pull dogged out ran to death...
superrr underrated chips. the retro sleeper build. hope the 1600mhz Hynix ram is still good. AND it's sata 3. and it will go under water of course. Telling ya you need find those damn things.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's SATA 3Gb/s which is SATA2. SATA 6Gb/s is SATA3. The Intel ICH10 didn't support SATA3.

I started to say I thought they were all sata 2...other than that pretty reasonable. know what to expect. pretty cool though that many USBs. sata 2 isn't that bad a bottleneck though with ssd. Still probably one of the best designs and socket there was imo.

Last edited:
Nah jk..it appears that mobo is like a 6 phase board, saying it can clock though now where that will fall around I do not know, I imagine should still be able to take some chips to 4.0ghz-4.2ghz, this one will need active cooling via fan for sure.
Shame do Not have a 16gb kit of ddr3...

They also have a pretty dope socket 2011 board too. I don't have any of those cpu's though.

Well I found some board some newly redone stuff looks like a 12 phase board...idk china no name...but it can run the Xeon's so that's dope...see if this x5650 is still any good..Idk might of been a server pull dogged out ran to death...
superrr underrated chips. the retro sleeper build. hope the 1600mhz Hynix ram is still good. AND it's sata 3. and it will go under water of course. Telling ya you need find those damn things.

Nah jk..it appears that mobo is like a 6 phase board, saying it can clock though now where that will fall around I do not know, I imagine should still be able to take some chips to 4.0ghz-4.2ghz, this one will need active cooling via fan for sure.
Shame do Not have a 16gb kit of ddr3...

They also have a pretty dope socket 2011 board too. I don't have any of those cpu's though.

OEM boards like this rarely overclock at all on x series -- you'd need a w series Xeon, and utilize software to change the clocks. That, or alter the BIOS image, which this OEM (XLZMotherboard) doesn't even offer a download for. It's also possible it is a 4+1+1 phase with crappy chokes like their X79.

OEM boards like this rarely overclock at all on x series -- you'd need a w series Xeon, and utilize software to change the clocks. That, or alter the BIOS image, which this OEM (XLZMotherboard) doesn't even offer a download for. It's also possible it is a 4+1+1 phase with crappy chokes like their X79.

Yeah it might be I don't know...seller said it can clock though in the Bios so I don't know. Again what I thought maybe the w series...

Cool Man still good...board don't overclock though..O well backup anyways.
5650.JPG

Last edited:
Hi guys, I wanted to upgrade my aging i7 920 for a Xeon x5690.

Unfortunately, while my PC works perfectly with the i7, with the Xeon I get no POST, no signal output to monitor. Motherboard LED debug reads C1 and is fast flashing other codes (55, 11, CF, C0), which is described as memory related issue as per motherboard manual. When I unplug all RAM and DRAM I still get the C1 message, but without the flashing 55s, 11s etc.

I tried reseating the CPU, clearing CMOS (pulled battery), using only one RAM stick, but no dice...

Specs are:

CPU: Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz Six Core Processor (previously working fine with i7 920)
Motherboard: GA-EX58-EXTREME (F12 Bios)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY (3x4GB) 1866MHz DDR3 CL10
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11 GB

Can anyone help me with my grandpa of a PC?

Unfortunately, while my PC works perfectly with the i7, with the Xeon I get no POST, no signal output to monitor. Motherboard LED debug reads C1 and is fast flashing other codes (55, 11, CF, C0), which is described as memory related issue as per motherboard manual. When I unplug all RAM and DRAM I still get the C1 message, but without the flashing 55s, 11s etc.

I tried reseating the CPU, clearing CMOS (pulled battery), using only one RAM stick, but no dice...

Specs are:

CPU: Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz Six Core Processor (previously working fine with i7 920)

Probably bent pins on your CPU socket.

Specs are:

Try one of the beta bioses. Looks like F13S is the latest, and it was needed for the last 990X processor released for X58.

Try one of the beta bioses. Looks like F13S is the latest, and it was needed for the last 990X processor released for X58.

Works! Thank you very much! I nearly run out of my thermal paste swaping the CPUs so many times.

Just for any future reference:

Only the latest F13S Bios beta version for the GA-EX58-EXTREME motherboard works with the Xeon x5690 3.46GHz Six Core Processor. This fact is NOT listed on the official website (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-EX58-EXTREME-rev-10#support-cpu).

It may not support it without some bios mods, not sure. It's only a little better than the 920. And both Need overclocked still, it does do stuff better stock clocks though, and something good to run like that. Blocked the thing doesn't go over 50c really...should run forever dude.

you're better off with something bit more modern. Id try to find z97/z170/z270 really. and delid/relid and try get best cooling and clocks you can get on them. That is a huge upgrade.

I don't know if you're just trying to get your post count up or what, but if you're just going to tell people to buy different things when they are in a thread started for a specific chipset then I'm just going to start hitting the report button for thread crapping.

You're not even reading the thread. Feek404 already said he got his setup up and running and you're telling him that he has to mod his bios and that it isn't worth the upgrade.

A 6C/12T Xeon X56XX running at 4Ghz+ isn't a slouch compared to your z97/z170/z270 suggestion.

Another Westmere here, finally working and very satisified so far! I was worried my CPU might be badly beaten as it was very cheaply bought from China, but so far so good, mainly thanks to your advice guys.

It's a bit of a sleeper (and no overclock yet). :)

Q28DznW.jpg
MzBrDYE.jpg
v7dnbc5.jpg

I run an i7-960 in my work rig clocked at around 3.87 GHz. Decent machine for its age. Was considering additional cores for some of the virtual machining I do.
'Officially' -- the Sabertooth X58 doesn't support Xeons on the CPU Support list at Asus. Has anyone had success with running the hex core Xeon's clocked 3.0 or better in this board?

Back