1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Very good deal, I sure would grab a x5660 for 32 bucks and throw it in there.
Just for the fact it will overclock good and run a little cooler being 32nm CPU.
Besides this is [H]ard right?

Hehe. I ended up ordering a 5660 for $24 on eBay last night. System is running very well now. I put an aftermarket cooler on the CPU, threw some additional fans in there (which the system came with) and it's just a nice and quiet machine. Fully stable at stock with temps maxing out at around 65c. Maybe if I can find a cheap GTX 970 I'll throw that in there too so my brother can start playing some games.

hoping someone can help me out real quick because I am feeling pretty stupid but I am trying to OC a Xeon X5660 on a MSI X58A-GD65 board and I can't adjust any of the voltage settings in the board, they are all grayed out and in Auto

uJ4fzrk.png

is there something I am missing to enable these? there is no mention in the manual besides

CPU Voltage (V)/ CPU PLL Voltage (V)/ QPI Voltage (V)/ DRAM Voltage (V)/ DDR_
VREF_CA_A (V)/ DDR_VREF_CA_B (V)/ DDR_VREF_CA_C (V)/ DDR_VREF_DQ_A
(V)/ DDR_VREF_DQ_B (V)/ DDR_VREF_DQ_C (V)/ IOH Voltage (V)/ ICH Voltage (V)
These items are used to adjust the voltage of CPU, Memory and chipset.

so I am at a bit of a loss here... any suggestions??

hoping someone can help me out real quick because I am feeling pretty stupid but I am trying to OC a Xeon X5660 on a MSI X58A-GD65 board and I can't adjust any of the voltage settings in the board, they are all grayed out and in Auto

uJ4fzrk.png

is there something I am missing to enable these? there is no mention in the manual besides

so I am at a bit of a loss here... any suggestions??

Go to the greyed out field and try using + and - on the num pad.

I *think* I tried that but I was using a wireless logitech keyboard without a numberpad so I had to use the function key and the regular +/-... I will try with a regular keyboard

I *think* I tried that but I was using a wireless logitech keyboard without a numberpad so I had to use the function key and the regular +/-... I will try with a regular keyboard

Yes, I believe it must be the numpad +/-, I think page up/down will also work.

well I put a regular USB keyboard and it worked, managed to get a xeon X5660 up to ~4GHz stable @ ~1.3V... can't get it past 4Ghz unfortunately it seems, but still pretty good for my VR rig

not bad for a 7 year old CPU... still love the x56xx series chips so much... my friends think I'm insane lol

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/19862165
You are insane, but you are part of us now. We are X58 Xeon enthusiasts, resistance is futile.

That's a good score, I'm hoping to pick up a 1080/1080ti used in the next few months, I'll look forward to a score like that!

I have 2 friends with i7 930/950 CPUs and I keep trying to convince them to pick up one of these 6-core xeons with no success....yet....

You are insane, but you are part of us now. We are X58 Xeon enthusiasts, resistance is futile.

That's a good score, I'm hoping to pick up a 1080/1080ti used in the next few months, I'll look forward to a score like that!

I have 2 friends with i7 930/950 CPUs and I keep trying to convince them to pick up one of these 6-core xeons with no success....yet....

Lol its insane not to with how cheap you can get them and they overclock as much or better then the 930/950 chips plus you get more cores and a slightly better ipc. My [email protected] has been running the boinc pentathon like a champ even some pretty high temps at times never has crashed good thing the xeons have a higher max temp then the older 9xxx chips.

well I had a stack of x58 boards sitting the in the office so figured I'd try my hand at it... been doing 1366 for a while, just not x58... running dual xeon x5675s for a couple years now as my main desktop with a 970 and have 6 servers running dual L5640s but wanted something for VR

well I had a stack of x58 boards sitting the in the office so figured I'd try my hand at it... been doing 1366 for a while, just not x58... running dual xeon x5675s for a couple years now as my main desktop with a 970 and have 6 servers running dual L5640s but wanted something for VR

Nice my xeon is mainly for my plex server so transcodes alot at 4.4ghz it runs great my [email protected] with 3200mhz memory only beats it by 300 points on cinebench

Anybody here running X5675 in an MSI X58 Pro board? I have a good deal on this board, but I wanna see if I can run it before plunging.

IMFeJrHeFd3jFr7-wuFzTWfs3CfTU_xsSVmnwtFPoNpKAJ0yO_a63JMENG9vvxejO92xc71amqNzj2zqLTcmQBFe8iuK1bDV6BFxQg8rYEUqTwei1sHO-Z7KD8xgDjezQNjZxrwZlPuTfiZPSvtzbqFbQ31o9nrtG0Gfw-8NL-bPK9EW8mIE8HZ4xDpLUaH9xJwyajUes18iaDIqsFI2mGscEdxXXCbx2Rxa2_c-4Gu3aGuLVH1GeKb7v6OSmi0JwHCYz-YGFVJhLCp3PLmrf9AoOsGxK2FZRrz-K9mWoPqEDvFbdglE8tuSI46KEWtV5bhIhF3n5RHFptslLLwrb0pFty9Nqdee-h6vkxLr6y_dGyYW9CVsBQbPOn2hi886w5GkLCCwS6MlEs4uT_pYHpIhIsRn9z9hzZRnO0MB3K3t2GcNZyNXyBmY3nl6FslUz8VJjrNey-RutVD2nDRMvNCWkJT1a-1EbewoAqSKdnwOX09J0QR_uIiBUW6JHAgiWa6vdlc7Jj7ra_GMS6IVzULc6GUmG5QGgBATbkBPJaC1SYpLoPgwuSuiT9w8Ewt6wOrpzfsi2DQGtVXnUoCyVbJxsCFYSoYyzoBa0zADnE32hTD-M5zE=w594-h792-no

This pc is now on its 3rd and final power supply as the old thermaltake's rails were getting out of wack....I love this new EVGA 750G3 Supernova and it should work out well when/ IF the day comes to retire my x58.

Hey, I'm running an I7920 on a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R v1. On their website Gigabyte says that I can only use 3XXX Xeon processors, not 5XXX. V2 of this board will support the 5XXX. Is this the actual case? Has anyone tried running 5XXX Xeons on this board? I would like to make the jump to a Hex core Xeon. What do you guys recommend? Thanks

Hey, I'm running an I7920 on a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R v1. On their website Gigabyte says that I can only use 3XXX Xeon processors, not 5XXX. V2 of this board will support the 5XXX. Is this the actual case? Has anyone tried running 5XXX Xeons on this board? I would like to make the jump to a Hex core Xeon. What do you guys recommend? Thanks

Don't know with 100% certainty, but there are lot of reports that people are using their x58a-ud3r v1 with 5xxx series xeon cpus. Just research the latest bios and give it a try. With the low cost of the xeons on ebay, you have very low risk.

Anybody here running X5675 in an MSI X58 Pro board? I have a good deal on this board, but I wanna see if I can run it before plunging.

Have a 5690, had a 5650 and 5670 prior. Just make sure to have it flashed with the last BIOS on MSI's website that says added Micro Code support.

HI all...im new here and im excited cause i finally found a good forum for 1366 x58..so,,my old 775 moded board with x5470 served me well for many years and now finally I managed to build a x58 x5670 rig,,got few questions tho,,
1. how will i bring balance between the cpu and memory frequency speed? i tried few things but cant get the stock speed of my modules and im thinking if its just because of the cpu limitation,,my memory is a triple channel patriot ddr3 1600mhz.
2. also,, should i disable intel Vt-d from bios? i read is meant for server uses only..
3. sometimes memOK button flashes red right after i power the pc on,, it goes on and off couple of times and the it boots normally without problems,, memory diagnostics ruled out faulty ram,,so is it maybe mobo problem??
4. i know my mobo doesnt support ecc, but is there any chance to run ecc unbuffered? in some forums some claimed they tried and it worked. perhaps spammers?

Last edited:
5670 can an should run around 192 black which is pretty much ddr1600 speed.....so that should not be an issue.....it's an easy 4.22 ghz clock speed and proper ram speed....doesn't make any difference if it's running 1590 insead of perfect 1600....performance doesn't change measurably

The ECC question depends on the board in use Mainly.( I believe)

Been reading several pages of this thread, awesome stuff guys. Got myself a X5660 the other week, grabbed my dads old P6T Deluxe v2 and swapped it with my Westmere i3 530 and motherboard. Bought the cheapest 1600 MHz RAM I could find on eBay, and lo' and behold, it actually overclocked rather nicely. Total expense for Xeon cpu and RAM were 65 $, performance wise and fun factor makes it feel like a steal. Don't think I will upgrade for at least a year, probably longer.

Stable at 4.2 GHz on all cores, 1.33v vcore in BIOS. BCLK 200 MHz, 12 GB 1600 MHz CL11 RAM @ 1600 MHz CL 9, 1.65v.
Uten navn.jpg

Been reading several pages of this thread, awesome stuff guys. Got myself a X5660 the other week, grabbed my dads old P6T Deluxe v2 and swapped it with my Westmere i3 530 and motherboard. Bought the cheapest 1600 MHz RAM I could find on eBay, and lo' and behold, it actually overclocked rather nicely. Total expense for Xeon cpu and RAM were 65 $, performance wise and fun factor makes it feel like a steal. Don't think I will upgrade for at least a year, probably longer.

Stable at 4.2 GHz on all cores, 1.33v vcore in BIOS. BCLK 200 MHz, 12 GB 1600 MHz CL11 RAM @ 1600 MHz CL 9, 1.65v.
View attachment 28955

Very cool. Pretty much identical settings as my setup. Glad you are having fun, enjoy!

Hey guys!
Just wondering if any of you is considering 7900x or Threadripper as your upgrade from our beloved 6-core Xeons?
I am doing more video editing and a lot of photo editing with plug ins etc so sometimes I wonder if I could get much faster performance from one of those new CPUs.

Hey guys!
Just wondering if any of you is considering 7900x or Threadripper as your upgrade from our beloved 6-core Xeons?
I am doing more video editing and a lot of photo editing with plug ins etc so sometimes I wonder if I could get much faster performance from one of those new CPUs.
Oh i think plenty of us are paying attention to these new cpu's....Either would be a pretty decent upgrade honestly....Your like me and get interested when its over a double the performance currently being used:) If they were 500 and under it would be an easy decision to justify lol

Oh i think plenty of us are paying attention to these new cpu's....Either would be a pretty decent upgrade honestly....Your like me and get interested when its over a double the performance currently being used:) If they were 500 and under it would be an easy decision to justify lol
hahah indeed I want a BIG jump in performance. Guess my concern is clock speeds with the Threadripper and how it will perform in games (not like I really game but just in case) vs mine clocked at 4.4-4.5Ghz even though mine is of course an older CPU. But my main use will be productivity, Photoshop, DXO Prime, Lightroom, Vegas 14..so on.

So anyone here have 1st hand long term experience with 1.45+ vcore on a Westmere, and specifically an x5670? Anyone have first hand experience with degradation because of high vcore? I am setting up a system and I can hit 4.51 at 1.4 but to get any higher I need to run the vocre up.. If I do that, I can hit 4.62 at 1.45 and 4.72 at 1.48. But I'd like some real world feedback on high vcore's long term effects. Not theory or some guy on the net said, but real 1st hand experience. Were this for me, I'd run it at 4.72 if the only downside was a reduced lifespan. The chips are cheap enough now that if it only lasts a year or two, who cares? But to make that argument to someone else, I'd like to hear from folks who've run these levels for an extended period. Temps are not an issue at this point, just the voltage. The system peaks at about 86c in 30c ambient and stays below 80c in 23c ambient. NZXT X41 cooler, P6X58D Premium, 12GB Mushkin enhanced silverline, Enthoo Pro case w/6 fans. System will not be used for any serious gaming (obviously). http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/4235060

In reading through (some) of this discussion, I saw folks commenting on the SB vs Westmere debate. Thought I'd share this head to head overclocked comparison. Both these are OCed as far as I could get them. Some might get more from a Westmere, but not a lot I don't think. The 2500K is running 24/7 and has been for over 6 months w/o any issues. It is very stable and temps are acceptable.
2500k vs x5670.jpg

So anyone here have 1st hand long term experience with 1.45+ vcore on a Westmere, and specifically an x5670? Anyone have first hand experience with degradation because of high vcore? I am setting up a system and I can hit 4.51 at 1.4 but to get any higher I need to run the vocre up.. If I do that, I can hit 4.62 at 1.45 and 4.72 at 1.48. But I'd like some real world feedback on high vcore's long term effects. Not theory or some guy on the net said, but real 1st hand experience. Were this for me, I'd run it at 4.72 if the only downside was a reduced lifespan. The chips are cheap enough now that if it only lasts a year or two, who cares? But to make that argument to someone else, I'd like to hear from folks who've run these levels for an extended period. Temps are not an issue at this point, just the voltage. The system peaks at about 86c in 30c ambient and stays below 80c in 23c ambient. NZXT X41 cooler, P6X58D Premium, 12GB Mushkin enhanced silverline, Enthoo Pro case w/6 fans. System will not be used for any serious gaming (obviously). http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/4235060

FWIW - I've had a i7-930 @ 1.41v for a few years and that was fine.
Right now I'm at 1.4v @ 4.39Ghz for my Xeon W3690. I'm under water with a 420mm radiator and I think it can go higher but not too much higher as I'm hitting max core temp of low 80s. (plus ambient temps around 26-27 degrees). This was a 2nd hand chip and I've used it for 3 years -- I've not seen any degradation as far as I know.

The problem for me seems that something else is overheating - I can pass Intel Burntest but if I put the system on load (games or prime95) for awhile after approx. 30mins or so I get an automatic shutdown. After that I can't post. My Rampage III Extreme indicates a red light for CPU when I try to boot, clearing CMOS doesn't work and only after I wait 10 mins or so can I post boot again. It just seems like it's waiting for something to cool down before it can boot, and at the moment I don't know what that is. It shouldn't be the CPU as this happens even if I'm doing low CPU stress gaming (CPU max temp at low 60s). It's something like the Southbridge or motherboard related (motherboard heatsinks feel super hot to the touch) motherboard sensors shows max 72 degrees under load. I'm tempted to reseat the motherboard heatsinks. Could also be the RAM? I've not seen anyone run RAM as I high as I do on X58. If someone can give me some pointers I'd be more than grateful, I'm running:

Xeon W3690 on Rampage III Extreme
191 blk * 23 = 4.39Mhz
12Mb RAM 1.65v @ 1910Mhz
QPI @ 1.356v (real-time sensors seems to show this varying quite a lot)
LLC enabled (for QPI also)

Anyway back to your question, it might not be the CPU that caves if you want it to work stable.

Hey guys!

Oh I am definitely watching this very closely. I was dead set on an 8 or 10 core i9 but now I'm not so sure with all the PCIe lane gimping and heat throttling they're having with X299. I'd love to jump to Threadripper but I'm concerned about their single thread performance - I care about gaming as much as productivity, and it's going to be hard going from a 4.4Ghz Westmere to a 3.6Ghz Threadripper. Choices, choices...

Yea gaming wise even compared to slower clocked 4ghz threadripper or Zen it seems to be pretty much a side grade. (this wait would be OVER with if modern Xeons overclocked as easy as our Westmere Xeons)

Don't know with 100% certainty, but there are lot of reports that people are using their x58a-ud3r v1 with 5xxx series xeon cpus. Just research the latest bios and give it a try. With the low cost of the xeons on ebay, you have very low risk.

McDork probably already found the answer, but I was running an X5650 on that board very successfully for about 3 years up until it went on to a better place a couple of months ago. It would require a more recent BIOS update for the CPU to be properly recognized (I think around the F6 release maybe?). I was running F8a since that was the final release and it was stable.

I couldn't nail down what exactly went wrong on the board to kill it, all the caps looked fine and I never really went too crazy with voltage so the VRMs would have been in decent shape but the board was going on 8 years old so I guess it had enough. The OC settings always took a little thinking to figure out the best ratios and whatnot because it wasn't as fine grained as a lot of the other X58 boards but you could get the job done. I ran 3.6 @ 1.275V at 200BCLK iirc but can't remember all my other voltages and timings exactly, that was plenty fast for my tasks and kept things nice and cool. I also ran two mismatched sets of RAM, 2x3 and 4x3, never had issues with that.

I am trying to bench my system against Ryzen and 7900x for an idea of what the new CPUs will give me in terms of Sony Vegas 14 video encoding, photoshop with plugins editing etc...mainly productivity. Anyone knows of any place that does benchmarks and provides the files used for their test so we can compare or am I stuck with just the usual benchmark programs?
Thanks!

Ok, I have an old x58 930 rig sitting idle, am thinking about sticking a xeon in there so what would be the best xeon to get for 1366? Is it the 5690 ?

As they are going cheap on fleabay

Ok, I have an old x58 930 rig sitting idle, am thinking about sticking a xeon in there so what would be the best xeon to get for 1366? Is it the 5690 ?

As they are going cheap on fleabay

Also interested in this question. I have read a x5650 may be the best choice due to it being easier to over clock with bclk? I maybe wrong

Also interested in this question. I have read a x5650 may be the best choice due to it being easier to over clock with bclk? I maybe wrong
the higher number (as in 5690 over 5650) will always clock higher with lower blck.....which in many case or boards is easier to hit.....So a 5670 would be the lowest i would buy if it were me. I heard from some people that 5675's are pretty sweet

what is the power consumption of a Xeon oc'ed to like 4,00Ghz, I read something like 140W is that realistic?
well when i used to have a 7970 and running bionic using the cpu and gpu it could pull up to 500 watts from the wall...so i figure my cpu overclock peaked around 200 watts from the wall. Internal usage of 140 watt i think is doable, but at the wall would be more. (again this is a rough guess)

I'm looking forward to giving this a shot. I've been running an OC'd i7-920 since 2009 @ 4ghz. It's been a rock. But the Xeon x5600 series looked... damn cheap and impressive. Bought a x5670 on ebay for $20 USD (made an offer, was asking $39.00, and he accepted), so I can't wait to get my hands on this thing and give it a whirl! It'll be going into my main rig, shown in my signature. Crazy cheap for some nice gain! I was looking at from 5650 up to 5690's but the 5670 seemed like the sweet spot when I checked, and when he accepted my low-ball offer, well, that sealed the deal.

Just imagine 3000+ Cinebench scores with Threadripper. Someone do the math for me lol, but Thats like 3 Times the work station power vs our beloved "older" xeons. I wish it had 3 times the gaming performance. Of course its also 30 times more expensive as well lol! (cpu wise)

Yeah over 3000 is damn impressive. If only it could run 4Ghz all cores I would be super happy!

Last edited:
From a price/performance perspective, which new Intel CPU do you think will get enough gains above a 4GHX x5670 to justify the upgrade?

My P6t and 5670 isn't cutting the compatibility mustard for VR, so was looking at Asus z270 mobo and 6700k CPU as a lot of people I know use this combo for VR and its rock solid. But I'm thinking if I'm gonna do that, should I just go one of the new line? Then the LAST thing I was is compatibility issues though...

Back