1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

ok i guess you are right, i've been doing alot of comparisons with other similar systems, does this look right? other users are getting like 1k to 2k higher after that they all use 2 gtx 970's. I mean don't get me wrong i like the upgrade i did but it doesnt seem like a huge bump from an i7 920 at 4.0. although games run a "bit" smoother on places where it used to hitch..

I'm considering on getting another gtx 970 i don't know if that would be wise...

I see you have an EVGA motherboard. Just a heads up if you do go SLI with GTX970 or 9 series card. The low gap memory setting will have to be increased in BIOS, or you may have booting/restart blue screen problems.

Also I see used GTX980Ti cards in the 330-350$ range and prices are dropping. Might be worth it for you to sell your 970 and get a 980Ti.
Food for thought.

Hi guys i think im pretty much done, the gtx 970 i have it's cooled with an artic accelero twin turbo 3 + backplate and was able to squeeze a bit more on memory side. I had a bit of bump on fps it's @ 1506/4111mhz and did some new benchmarks.. so far im happy where i am at. I mostly interested in 1080p and maybe 2K gaming that's why i was thinking about a second video card. I did the memory gap settings in bios already when i bought the gtx 970 last year. I am not a fan of sli but the price on those is going to have to drop i wouldn't spend more than 200$ either. I have been doing a lot of research on it, the pci-e slots i have won't bottle neck if they are 2.0 vs a 3.0 and now that the cpu is covered in that part seems like a good route.

Attachments

• Uniengine.PNG
    Uniengine.PNG
    40.2 KB · Views: 109
  • SteamVR.PNG
    SteamVR.PNG
    200.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 3DMark.PNG
    3DMark.PNG
    451.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 3DMark1.PNG
    3DMark1.PNG
    172.5 KB · Views: 96
Hey guys a quick update so i decided to go SLI and purchased another gtx 970 for 180$ on ebay.. and there were huge improvements i can honestly say that games which support sli play really good(60fps stable at least) on 2k resolutions. Also my 3dmark score went up as well took the 1st 5 places lol, sad part is my past overclock became unstable probably because of the stress to the 12v rail and i can seem to find the right combination to get to atleast were i was or close to 4.4 so i am currently sitting at 4.2 with HT on. any thoughts?

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    279.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    18.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    115.3 KB · Views: 62
Hey guys a quick update so i decided to go SLI and purchased another gtx 970 for 180$ on ebay.. and there were huge improvements i can honestly say that games which support sli play really good(60fps stable at least) on 2k resolutions. Also my 3dmark score went up as well took the 1st 5 places lol, sad part is my past overclock became unstable probably because of the stress to the 12v rail and i can seem to find the right combination to get to atleast were i was or close to 4.4 so i am currently sitting at 4.2 with HT on. any thoughts?
It is what it is....Most of us only get 4.2 bullet proof stable. I think many that run 4.4-4.6 are on the EDGE of being fully stable.....Nothing wrong with 4.2:)

It is what it is....Most of us only get 4.2 bullet proof stable. I think many that run 4.4-4.6 are on the EDGE of being fully stable.....Nothing wrong with 4.2:)

well i found what the issue was, i needed to set the memory gap to 3G i previously had it at 2G since leaving it on auto would reboot the computer before windows started to load (issue with dual maxwell gpus) althought i'm not quite sure if it's the sli config or the memory gap but i open any game and it starts to use alot of Ram i currently have 12gb which to me has always been more than enough... but lately it seems as it is being topped off, should i upgrade more ram?

Also i'm quite curious with sli as this is my first build in sli, should i use 2 sli ribbons? or just one? does it help in performance or anything having to plugged in?

Hello guys,

As intro, I'm now running a Gigabyte EX58-ud5, i7 [email protected] with vcore 1.136 16Gb memory @1360. (GTX770 as GPU).
I used to use a Scythe Mugen 2, with decent temps (~75 under full load).
Now I have a custom water loop with a slim 120mm rad. and ~65 under full load.

I can get a deal on a E5620 processor.
Can anyone verify if this proc will work on my motherboard?

If it it runs it will run a lot cooler and thus quieter.
I probably will be overclocking to ~3.3Ghz.

Thanks,

I have relegated my x5660 to backup duty. I scored a sweet deal on a used Fury Nano ($250CAD), and decided to switch some things up.

GyroGearloose26 , why don't you pick up a used 6 core Westmere in lieu of the e5620? You can pick up the x5650 for under $70, and when overclocked, it is still a beast of a chip.

Two reasons, first I could get my hands on a dirt cheap e5620 for 10 EUR inc shipping. Second, the system is standing in my living room and is mainly used for media with some gaming at random times.

But the system sounds like a jet engine when gaming so I'm upgrading to lower power components. I'm fine with the performance, just cooler and quieter.

Gpu is next with a 980/1080/rx480 also liquid cooled.

I finally broke down and bought a X5670. When I had my previous chip (X5650) I would need 1.42v to hit 4.4ghz stable. Pretty horrible if you ask me.

Well I tried this new X5670...WOW is all I can say. I hit 4.4ghz @ 1.375v. So...I wanted to see if I could hit 4.6ghz, Naw didnt like that at all. Rebooted right off the bat. Worked my way up to 1.39v and its stable as a rock :)

I have to say If anyone decides to get a chip. Spend a lil extra and get a X5670

I would have to disagree. I ran the X5650 for over 3 years now at 1.43v and its still alive and kicking.

The trick is, dont run the CPU at 100% 24/7 for 3 years.....and who does that?

I currently have two X58 boards, an EVGA FTW3 and an Asus P6X58D-E. Currently running the FTW3 with a X5650 and it clocks pretty good, but seem to struggle above a 200blk. Any reason to think the Asus would do better or any other reasons to switch boards? Which ever board I dont use my son will get with a L5640 and 12gb of Corsair Dominator and a yet to be determined gfx card.

I currently have two X58 boards, an EVGA FTW3 and an Asus P6X58D-E. Currently running the FTW3 with a X5650 and it clocks pretty good, but seem to struggle above a 200blk. Any reason to think the Asus would do better or any other reasons to switch boards? Which ever board I dont use my son will get mwith a L5640 and 12gb of Corsair Dominator and a yet to be determined gfx card.

While my sample size is pretty small, I have used 3 LGA1366 boards over the years - an Asus P6TSE, Asus P6T Deluxe, and a Gigabyte UDX-5 - the Asus boards both could do 220BCLK, while the Gigabyte only did 190.

If it's not too much hassle, I would make the switch. Plus, I think you may have a board that can lock the TURBO multiplier - 22X.

I would have to disagree. I ran the X5650 for over 3 years now at 1.43v and its still alive and kicking.

The trick is, dont run the CPU at 100% 24/7 for 3 years.....and who does that?

I run my CPUs 24/7/365 at 100% load crunching data doing BOINC and folding at home. There are thousands and thousands of us that run 100% 24/7 crunching.
I have a x5660 at 4.2ghz 1.30V that has been running for well over two years.

I'm one of the late adopters. After a rocky start with my X58A-UD3R, I finally for my x5670 running nicely. Turns out that I had to update to the latest beta driver and everything went well. Currently rock stable using:

4.2 GHz (21 x 200 BCLK)
Core: 1.355V
QPI Vtt: 1.25V
RAM: 1600 MHz
Uncore: 3000 MHz

Tried pushing for 22 x 200, but couldn't get sufficient stability even at 1.4V

Finally bought a E5645 upgrade for my olds HTPC which is still on a stock clocked i7 930. Should see nice bump, anybody here with oc experiences with this particular chip? I'm hoping it can do more than the 3.5ghz limit my old L5639 had and unable to get past.

This is too much fun. Replaced my I7- 975 with the Xeon X5680 ($99). Overclocked easily to 4.2 GHZ on my
ASUS P6T Deluxe ver 2.

Xeon X5680.PNG

This is too much fun. Replaced my I7- 975 with the Xeon X5680 ($99). Overclocked easily to 4.2 GHZ on my
ASUS P6T Deluxe ver 2.

View attachment 6937

The x58 was the last great overclocking platform. Both of my chips (the 920 and x5660) paid for themselves just in the sheer amount of fun I had in messing around with overclocks.

So many switches and toggles that could affect the outcome. By comparison, Haswell was Set Multiplier, Set Voltage and reboot.

Has anyone had any success using a USB bootloader to emulate UEFI in order to use a pcie M.2 drive as their primary drive?

Has anyone had any success using a USB bootloader to emulate UEFI in order to use a pcie M.2 drive as their primary drive?
There was some discussion here about it, but i dont think anyone actually posted results one way or the other. To my knowledge is is possible, at least from the articles i have read.

Had so much fun with xeon cpu that I am now fixing to build a 2011 2x e5-2670 system. my HP z800 unfortunately doesn't allow for overclocking in the bios (.

Had so much fun with xeon cpu that I am now fixing to build a 2011 2x e5-2670 system. my HP z800 unfortunately doesn't allow for overclocking in the bios (.
with 32 threads to work with.....I think you be ok! Its a serious work horse for the money! Poor AMD if they ever even get zen out it be lucky just to match those xeons

with 32 threads to work with.....I think you be ok! Its a serious work horse for the money! Poor AMD if they ever even get zen out it be lucky just to match those xeons

Poor Intel, seems like their biggest sales comp. in the market it their own used CPUs.
Why buy new when powerful CPUS are selling for around 10 cents on the dollar in some cases.

Poor Intel, seems like their biggest sales comp. in the market it their own used CPUs.
Why buy new when powerful CPUS are selling for around 10 cents on the dollar in some cases.

Yeah, if a lot more people figure this out, we could all be in trouble ;).

the market price for a x5550 or e5620 is $6, what's the point of buying any i3 cpu even when those would clobber the i3 in multithread? The only thing is that even though ram and cpu price has gone down a lot, the MB hasn't keep pace for some reason ;(

I know the timer was only on for a minute but this was after a few hours of stressing. I am pretty happy with the results and just added a GTX 980 to the mix. My temps are pretty amazing running through 3 rads.

Not my most recent pic but only the gfx card has changed.

Last edited:
Saving up to get my X58 system to upgrade from my Q9550. I think you guys have convinced me to go single CPU with a motherboard that supports overclocking. I mostly use older software that would prefer the higher clock speed anyway. Any good places to find motherboards? I've been watching on Ebay but even non working boards seem to start at $150 :eek:. I've repaired lots of motherboards in my day but don't want to spend hours trying to bend 100's of pins back in to place

I lucked out and got an Asus p6x68d-e from ebay for right at $100. I switched to the Xeon on my EVGA board because I already had it. Once the word got out all this hardware went through the roof. If it wasnt such a hassle I would just sell off everything and building a new system because I dont need all this power but it was so cheap.

I must say I regret not buying LGA 1366 back in the day. I bought Q9550 instead. It would have saved me so much money.

I must say I regret not buying LGA 1366 back in the day. I bought Q9550 instead. It would have saved me so much money.
yea x58 was a HUGE performance jump all the way around, although a tad pricey in the beginning but was well worth it. I came all the way from AMD Dual-Core Opteron setup back in 2009 (shit im going on 7 years now lol holly fuck)

Soon to join the club, my X5650 and Mobo are in the mail. Motherboard may need some work / tweaking (hence why I got it cheap) but I think I can handle it. Wish me luck!

Thanks to everyone who posted their results / findings!

So my Asrock x58 extreme board bit the dust that leaves me with a x5670 and E5506 lga 1366 cpus. So I am wondering what you guys think about looking into getting a cheap dual lga 1366 board and grab another x5670 rather than go all the way to the newer platforms. The goal is to keep it cheap as possible just not sure how the non OC dual boards handle gaming. battlefield 1 is kind of calling my name lol.

If you can find a good board, go for it. I would never have gotten rid of my UD5/x5670 if i didnt have disposable income to build my rig in sig. It cost me $3000 to build it. for what? maybe 15% improvement over an x5670 @ 4.2..

ride her out man. also to the above poster(s).. damn right. 1366 was an amazing time for overclockers.

thats why i snagged a super rare asus supercomputer p6tw7 board :DDDD

So my Asrock x58 extreme board bit the dust that leaves me with a x5670 and E5506 lga 1366 cpus. So I am wondering what you guys think about looking into getting a cheap dual lga 1366 board and grab another x5670 rather than go all the way to the newer platforms. The goal is to keep it cheap as possible just not sure how the non OC dual boards handle gaming. battlefield 1 is kind of calling my name lol.

Well the E5645 that came to me had 2 SMD parts knocked off from underneath, seller gave a full refund after I sent the pictures.

No good deals atm on ebay. :(

Wow thats great to hear....Hmmm Might have to go that route for my bootup device.

Yep. I posted more details earlier in this thread when I first installed mine a couple of months ago. One of the rare times when everything went smoother than expected. I was upgrading to a clean install of Win 10 for the first time - just popped the 950 pro into a cheap $5 eBay PCIe adapter, booted up, and installed Win 10 from a USB drive with no problems. Boots up in less than 15 seconds now.

Hey guys,

thanks for the amazing stuff you provide, I recently got my X5650 and got it too 4,2 ghz thanks to this thread.

I have a question though, I got two LGA 1366 boards, a ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 and a Gigabyte G1 Guerillia. Which one do you guys recommend for overclocking? I had troubles with the G1 on my I7 920 since it has much more voltages settings than the p6t....

Back