1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Hmm so I guess I will also have to take in to account Vdrop and incorrect error reporting by software when doing this?

Also, what would be the benefit of the first reading (setting BCLK to stock and then stressing the CPU)? Shouldn't I be getting the lowest voltage by setting the desired BCLK with x12 multi and letting it idle, then getting highest voltage by seting x24 multi and working the CPU, then working out the difference? Maybe I'm mistaken on what the base voltage is (i.e. is it not idle voltage?).

EDIT: Ah I think maybe it's because I'm overclocking differently - I'm enabling all C-states so that it lowers the multiplier when I want, not keeping a fixed multiplier. Knowing this, would my method of calculating Vnormal and offset be correct?

None of that should make a difference as long as you go by what CPU-Z is showing, just make sure to run something like Prime95 then you'll get the max voltage for stock versus your overclocked settings, then you can simply input the difference between the two in the offset.

The offset will up the voltage for all multipliers, but the only way to know where to start is to set it to stock and then check the voltage loaded.

A more safe way is also just set the BCLK to 133mhz and slowly bump up the offset until it matches your manual voltage settings in CPU-Z, then up the BCLK until you are at 4.2ghz.

Be aware that sometimes using the offset will need more voltage than a static setting to be stable.

Wait, the offset th
None of that should make a difference as long as you go by what CPU-Z is showing, just make sure to run something like Prime95 then you'll get the max voltage for stock versus your overclocked settings, then you can simply input the difference between the two in the offset.

The offset will up the voltage for all multipliers, but the only way to know where to start is to set it to stock and then check the voltage loaded.

A more safe way is also just set the BCLK to 133mhz and slowly bump up the offset until it matches your manual voltage settings in CPU-Z, then up the BCLK until you are at 4.2ghz.

Be aware that sometimes using the offset will need more voltage than a static setting to be stable.

Thanks for the help! After some testing, I found that setting "Normal" with BCLK 175 produced the same voltage as Auto with BCLK 133 for the same frequency when C-states and EIST were on i.e.

BCLK 133:
133 x 12 = 1596MHz, 0.912v - 0.928v
133 x 15 = 1995MHz, 0.944v - 0.960v
133 x 16 = 2128MHz, 0.960v - 0.976v
133 x 24 = 3192MHz, 1.152v - 1.168v

The minimum frequency at BCLK 175 is 175 x 12 = 2100MHz which sits just below 133 x 16 = 2128MHz, and when forcing 175 x 12 to get 2100MHz with Vcore set to "Normal" it produces the same voltage as 133 x 16 with Vcore set to Auto. Neat!

So in the end I just set Normal and then played around with the offset until I got the same voltage on overclocked load in CPU-Z/HWInfo as my Vmax I worked out before.

Any idea when we could see the X5680 and X5690 drop in price? They are very high in comparison for price to the lower clocked versions and often go up to very high prices even if they are set to low amounts. I was just thinking of getting a W3690 but those are somewhat high too but not as high as the X5680/X5690.

I think that the Ivy Bridge should start to drop in price in a few years as well once more and more companies move to Haswell Xeon's or even V4 Xeons. It took this long for the V1 Xeon's to drop in price (first released in 2012) so it may very well be 2-4 at the minimum following this same example. Would definitely like the chance to grab a 8 or 10 core V2 Xeon.

I was wondering more about PCI-E slot layout if I use slot 1 with a USB3 card and use slot 2/3 with a SLI/Crossfire setup. Will I still get x1/x16/x16 or will it be different? The ASUS manual says for Crossfire/SLI to use slot 1 and slot 3 for spacing but slot 1 is very close to the NB heatsink and would make removal very difficult especially with multi-graphics layouts in SLI and Crossfire. The ASUS manuals says those slots are all X16 but the preview board sample/unit on Google shows that slot 2 is colored differently. So is slot 2 electrically wired for x8 in SLI/Crossfire (two graphics cards).
Hard to say, the x5680/90's really haven't dropped in price over the last year or so.

As far as the PCIE layout goes, which board are you talking about?

Thanks for the help! After some testing, I found that setting "Normal" with BCLK 175 produced the same voltage as Auto with BCLK 133 for the same frequency when C-states and EIST were on i.e.

BCLK 133:
133 x 12 = 1596MHz, 0.912v - 0.928v
133 x 15 = 1995MHz, 0.944v - 0.960v
133 x 16 = 2128MHz, 0.960v - 0.976v
133 x 24 = 3192MHz, 1.152v - 1.168v

The minimum frequency at BCLK 175 is 175 x 12 = 2100MHz which sits just below 133 x 16 = 2128MHz, and when forcing 175 x 12 to get 2100MHz with Vcore set to "Normal" it produces the same voltage as 133 x 16 with Vcore set to Auto. Neat!

So in the end I just set Normal and then played around with the offset until I got the same voltage on overclocked load in CPU-Z/HWInfo as my Vmax I worked out before.

Sounds good. (y)

When the voltage is set to normal/standard it should stay the same no matter what you set the BCLK to as long as the multiplier is the same. Maybe Gigabyte handles it differently?

Last edited:
Yeah they must do, it definitely seems like it's based on frequency rather than multiplier, which makes my life easier :)

I did as well. :)

But yes, I believe at the current prices 2011 does make more sense if you don't have an x58 board already. 1366 chips seem to be rising in price again, now x5650's are around $75 and x5670's are around $110. At this point it's probably better to spend the extra $50-60 on an E5-1650 with the possibility of going to an unlocked E5-1680v2 if they ever drop in price.

The big problem is the boards which still carry premium, but can be had for under $200 if you're patient. This is also a problem with x58, but good deals are more common.

Edit: Actually there are a few x5670 listings for around $90 and x5660's for $70, so maybe prices aren't really going up.
You got me checking out your updated sig now.....im more than a little curious how it does in a few benchmarks just to give a baseline of performance improvement for those of us to think about when we plan out our next build. Can you run corona, cinebench, firestrike physics and whatever you think of ...oh and total cost for the cpu/mb whatever a person would need for the switch out from our beloved x58...truth be told the cpu/mb is really the only cost right? Oh and try this handbrake file and see how it compares....i got "work: average encoding speed for job is 316.287964 fps" on the file they have Benchmark your computer with Handbrake - AnandTech Forums

Last edited:
You got me checking out your updated sig now.....im more than a little curious how it does in a few benchmarks just to give a baseline of performance improvement for those of us to think about when we plan out our next build. Can you run corona, cinebench, firestrike physics and whatever you think of ...oh and total cost for the cpu/mb whatever a person would need for the switch out from our beloved x58...truth be told the cpu/mb is really the only cost right? Oh and try this handbrake file and see how it compares....i got "work: average encoding speed for job is 316.287964 fps" on the file they have Benchmark your computer with Handbrake - AnandTech Forums

I basically broke even after selling my P6T6 and x5670, but I got a very good deal on the x79 Deluxe. A good deal on a board is $150-200 depending on the board, a good deal on the E5-1650 is about 160 or less, I'd probably avoid the ES's.

I wouldn't say it's worth it to jump from x58 to x79 unless you find a good deal. I'm hoping that the 8 core unlocked E5-1680 will drop to reasonable prices in a year or so, that would really make the jump worth it.

I did run a few benches versus my x5670 when I first got it, the results were all pretty much as expected. I posted my results here. Things have changed a bit though, now at 4.6ghz and am running quad channel.
At the same clocks, expect between a 10-20% improvement depending on the application. If you get a good chip and have good cooling expect to be able to hit 4.8ghz at safe voltages. Mine is stable at 4.8/1.35v, but the D15 is not quite enough to keep the temps where I like them (under 70c).

At my current settings I get around 1200 in CB15 which is about 20% faster than my [email protected], but I am also running the memory at 2400mhz vs 2000mhz. I haven't actually run Firestrike yet, maybe I'll give that a go later.

Handbrake: Average encoding speed for job is 413.430695 fps
Corona: Time: 0:02:57, Rays/sec: 2,738,510

I basically broke even after selling my P6T6 and x5670, but I got a very good deal on the x79 Deluxe. A good deal on a board is $150-200 depending on the board, a good deal on the E5-1650 is about 160 or less, I'd probably avoid the ES's.

I wouldn't say it's worth it to jump from x58 to x79 unless you find a good deal. I'm hoping that the 8 core unlocked E5-1680 will drop to reasonable prices in a year or so, that would really make the jump worth it.

I did run a few benches versus my x5670 when I first got it, the results were all pretty much as expected. I posted my results here. Things have changed a bit though, now at 4.6ghz and am running quad channel.
At the same clocks, expect between a 10-20% improvement depending on the application. If you get a good chip and have good cooling expect to be able to hit 4.8ghz at safe voltages. Mine is stable at 4.8/1.35v, but the D15 is not quite enough to keep the temps where I like them (under 70c).

At my current settings I get around 1200 in CB15 which is about 20% faster than my [email protected], but I am also running the memory at 2400mhz vs 2000mhz. I haven't actually run Firestrike yet, maybe I'll give that a go later.

Handbrake: Average encoding speed for job is 413.430695 fps
Corona: Time: 0:02:57, Rays/sec: 2,738,510
good info thanks.....any backround on the chipset? mainly the difference with that board and say the newest LGA 2011-v3 vs what you have? if price was close to same i guess it be foolish to buy the non v3 right? i guess what limitation does your board have vs. the newer x99...i guess x99 can run somthing yours cant? like it would physically fit in yours but wouldnt work i guess? educate me :) course i guess x99 needs ddr4 that part does stand out

good info thanks.....any backround on the chipset? mainly the difference with that board and say the newest LGA 2011-v3 vs what you have? if price was close to same i guess it be foolish to buy the non v3 right? i guess what limitation does your board have vs. the newer x99...i guess x99 can run somthing yours cant? like it would physically fit in yours but wouldnt work i guess? educate me :) course i guess x99 needs ddr4 that part does stand out

The board prices are more or less the same but the CPU's cost much more for haswell. I didn't really want to invest into DDR4 either, so for now 2011 v1 made more sense, especially since I didn't have to invest $400 into a CPU.

As far as features, x99 has USB 3.1, M.2, AVX2, and obviously DDR4. Maybe a few more things. They both have 40 PCIE lanes so no advantage there. 2011v1 is still pretty current depending on the board.
As far as DDR4/x99 is concerned, there is really no difference in raw speeds until you get over 3000mhz. In AIDA64 I get about 65gb/s which is more than twice what I was getting with my x58 system with the memory at 2200mhz.

The board prices are more or less the same but the CPU's cost much more for haswell. I didn't really want to invest into DDR4 either, so for now 2011 v1 made more sense, especially since I didn't have to invest $400 into a CPU.

As far as features, x99 has USB 3.1, M.2, AVX2, and obviously DDR4. Maybe a few more things. They both have 40 PCIE lanes so no advantage there. 2011v1 is still pretty current depending on the board.
As far as DDR4/x99 is concerned, there is really no difference in raw speeds until you get over 3000mhz. In AIDA64 I get about 65gb/s which is more than twice what I was getting with my x58 system with the memory at 2200mhz.
So the cpus would be anything up to sandy bridge 12core monsters back to older quad ivybridge...beyond that the haswell tru broadwell would be x99. It still leaves a person with a fuck ton of options and one day those high prices chips will come down same as 1366 stuff did? within reason of course

So the cpus would be anything up to sandy bridge 12core monsters back to older quad ivybridge...beyond that the haswell tru broadwell would be x99. It still leaves a person with a fuck ton of options and one day those high prices chips will come down same as 1366 stuff did? within reason of course

Pretty much. Although, I'm more interested in the unlocked CPU's as my machine is more of a multi-use machine. If all I was doing was rendering I would have went with dual e5-2670's. I do all sorts of work, some is not very well multi-threaded and the higher clockspeed really helps.

The 6950x is looking to be a 10 core, so the possibility of moving to that or the Xeon equivalent (e5-1680v4?) in the future could be a pretty big advantage for x99.

Pretty much. Although, I'm more interested in the unlocked CPU's as my machine is more of a multi-use machine. If all I was doing was rendering I would have went with dual e5-2670's. I do all sorts of work, some is not very well multi-threaded and the higher clockspeed really helps.

The 6950x is looking to be a 10 core, so the possibility of moving to that or the Xeon equivalent (e5-1680v4?) in the future could be a pretty big advantage for x99.
I think it would be hard to beat your actual performance even with brand new cutting edge new stuff.....even guys with heavly overclocked x99's are more or less equal with what you have. Like you said, your upgrade path from this point forward is a tad more limited but thats it.

I think it would be hard to beat your actual performance even with brand new cutting edge new stuff.....even guys with heavly overclocked x99's are more or less equal with what you have. Like you said, your upgrade path from this point forward is a tad more limited but thats it.

Yeah, that's my thinking. I think it's a pretty solid upgrade path for x58 users for the inclusion of newer features if the price is right. Of course you have to think about possibly getting a new mounting kit or cooler for 2011, my NH-U14S did support 2011 but it just wasn't quite enough for the clocks I was wanting so I used it to upgrade the cooler on another rig and picked up a D15S on sale.

Since you guys are talking about a bit prices, what would you say my board, processor, and RAM is worth?

All x58 hardware is terribly over priced.
People are selling beyond obsolete hardware for 250 To 300 sometimes.
To be frank with you guys i think it's ripping the community off. But it is what you can get away with depending on the proc and board.

Since you guys are talking about a bit prices, what would you say my board, processor, and RAM is worth?
Board: $120-150
CPU: $60-75
Ram: $30

All x58 hardware is terribly over priced.
People are selling beyond obsolete hardware for 250 To 300 sometimes.
To be frank with you guys i think it's ripping the community off. But it is what you can get away with depending on the proc and board.
It is really up to what people are willing to pay. Boards only go for that much because people bid on them. Good boards do go for cheap though, I picked up a P6T6 a few months ago for $120. But then of course when I sold it, it went for over $200.

I do kind of understand why people are willing to pay that, an overclocked x5650 for $60 can perform on par with a 6700k depending on the application.

Yes but the missing features on those boards are a real PITA.
Again, depending on the board.

Yes but the missing features on those boards are a real PITA.
Again, depending on the board.

No doubt. PCI-E 3.0 and native SATA3 are definitely good to have, lack of USB 3/3.1 can easily be solved with a simple card with very little performance impact.

SATA3 is maybe less of an issue now that PCI-E SSD's now getting more popular and some models seem to work fine (even booting) on x58 with good speeds around 2000-2500mb/s. In a few years we may see 16x PCI-E 2.0 being saturated with new cards which could cause a bottleneck, but for now it's a non-issue.

And of course newer CPU's have much better IPC which means better gaming performance for now, but that may be less of an issue with DX12 taking off.

Sata 6 on most of those boards terribly under-performs. I was getting 250 mbps on my old x58 Gigabyte board. Even the USB3 was pretty shitty on those boards. It was more a check box thing than it was a fully supported feature. The newer CPUs have better IPC, lower wattage, and more features built in.

My board had all those features (Sata 6. USB3.0) and they all performed terribly.

Last edited:
Sata 6 on most of those boards is terribly under-performing. I was getting 250 mbps on my old x58 Gigabyte board. Even the USB3 was pretty shitty on those boards. It was more a check box thing than it was a fully supported feature. The newer CPUs have better IPC, lower wattage, and more features built in.

My board had all those features (Sata 6. USB3.0) and they all performed terribly.

Yep, the Marvell SATA3 controllers were terrible. My old Gigabyte P55 board had USB3/SATA3. Maybe better in benchmarks, but much worse latency. I used the native SATA2 with my SSD and that felt much better to me as I wasn't copying huge files around all day. USB3 seemed fine with mechanical drives.

The x58 boards I had did not have either USB3 or SATA3 but a simple $15 USB3 card worked fine.

I just picked up an Asus P6T and 24GB of ram for $100 so I figured I'd join the club.
Does anyone know if the P6T will take an E5645 Engineering Sample Q2WV chip?

Well its a shame they are priced so high. I have a couple 1366 CPUs laying around that I simply cannot justify buying boards for.
I loved x58 honestly.

I just picked up an Asus P6T and 24GB of ram for $100 so I figured I'd join the club.
Does anyone know if the P6T will take an E5645 Engineering Sample Q2WV chip?
It probably would work if your mb bios was fully updated. I would not go out and buy one unless its like 20 bucks or something stupid like that...not when you can get 4.2 (x5670) for 90 bucks or less. Sometimes those ES samples dont clock very well either..its more of a gamble

I'm in Canada so it's a little more expensive for me after the exchange and shipping. I can get my hands on the ES for $30, just have to wait a few weeks and I'm wondering if it's worth the gamble. I'm having a hard time finding an instance of someone using one of these chips on a P6T or P6T SE

I'm in Canada so it's a little more expensive for me after the exchange and shipping. I can get my hands on the ES for $30, just have to wait a few weeks and I'm wondering if it's worth the gamble. I'm having a hard time finding an instance of someone using one of these chips on a P6T or P6T SE
well thing is you might run into bios issue regardless...if your board has to old of a bios even for normal xeons. Then you have to borrow a cpu to flash it or buy an updated rom

shit for the actual investment, you might just make a new record for price/performance if that 30 dollar cpu clocks well

Anyone here using an m2 drive with an adapter card? of course sata ssd's are cheap as fuck but those m2's are fast as hell. I guess successfully using it as an os drive would be nice but even as a data or scratch drive could speed up some tasks

Anyone here using an m2 drive with an adapter card? of course sata ssd's are cheap as fuck but those m2's are fast as hell. I guess successfully using it as an os drive would be nice but even as a data or scratch drive could speed up some tasks
I considered it but after learning about the issues trying to make it a boot OS drive I ended up with the 850 EVO instead and 36GB of ram and the system is flying again :D
Looking forward to your findings though.

Does anyone know offhand if the X58 Asus Sabertooth has the same thermal throttling issue as the P6T (non WS)?

Sabretooths in general seem to run better from everything I've read, X58 wise, if you can pick one up cheap these days.

I still use a P6T7 with a X5680 @ 4.5 these days with a lot of thing loaded on it, and an old P6T Deluxe V2 with a X5650 in the bedroom for a HTPC, with a smaller OC on it.

I doubt its worth throwing money at a Sabertooth X58 really these days, just to buy one.

Last edited:
Sabretooths in general seem to run better from everything I've read, if you can pick one up cheap these days.

I still use a P6T7 with a X5680 @ 4.5 these days with a lot of thing loaded one it, and a old P6T Deluxe V2 with a X5650 in the bedroom for a HTPC, with a smaller OC on it.

I doubt it worth throwing money at a Sabertooth X58 really these days, just to buy one.

Yea I picked up a 950/saber/corsait TX750 for around $230. Was a pretty good steal. I plan to use that and an X5670/X5675 when I go to snag one up.

I already got an X5650 in my girlfriends PC, Damn good procs!

Yea I picked up a 950/saber/corsait TX750 for around $230. Was a pretty good steal. I plan to use that and an X5670/X5675 when I go to snag one up.

I already got an X5650 in my girlfriends PC, Damn good procs!

The Sabertooth is an awesome board, and has the ability to lock the turbo multiplier. Great deal!

The Sabertooth is an awesome board, and has the ability to lock the turbo multiplier. Great deal!

Well that is pretty damn good news!!!! All I would like to hit is 4.6ghz. Anything more would be a dream come true lol.

Cannot wait to mess around with it.

I've hit a lot higher than 4.5 on various things, it is a matter where you want to be stable at I guess.

Sabretooths in general seem to run better from everything I've read, X58 wise, if you can pick one up cheap these days.

I still use a P6T7 with a X5680 @ 4.5 these days with a lot of thing loaded on it, and an old P6T Deluxe V2 with a X5650 in the bedroom for a HTPC, with a smaller OC on it.

I doubt its worth throwing money at a Sabertooth X58 really these days, just to buy one.
It's no but i get the desire you all have. I look at them as well. That and the gigabyte boards.

Yeah they must do, it definitely seems like it's based on frequency rather than multiplier, which makes my life easier :)

What OC did you stabilize at? How has your experience been?

I'm running an i7 950 @ 4.2GHZ on an X58A-UD3R rev2 and am thinking about buying an X5670 on Ebay, would you recommend it?

It seems all these Xeon OC's are based on FSB, is the memory multplier locked or can you still keep it at 8x 200 = 1600mhz? I'd like to try for a 4.4ghz xeon OC on my current hardware

I would go for it, I like the x5660 or the x5675, that will give you 23 or the 25 multiplier. I like the odd ones better.
The memory will change as you change the BLCK setting. If I remember right 21 x 200 will give a 1600 mem.
If I remember I run 175 x 23 for a 4ghz and my mem is either 1440 or 17xx.
Would have to go look to be exact, but you get the idea. You should be fine with your memory.
Keep the voltages within reason, use good cooling. I keep the UNCORE 2 times ram speed or one setting under, and V under 1.35
I shoot to be under 1,35 CPU also, just to be safe and have the CPU last a while.
Go for it and good luck!!

This guy talks about getting x5650's over 4GHz (20x multi) that he needs to lower QPI from 6.4 to 4.8, has anyone else experienced this?

- This guy is running an X5650 at 22 x 205mhz on an X58A-UD3R Rev2. How would this be possible? Turbo? I thought X5650's capped their multipliers at 20x Of course he doesn't provide his bios settings

Back