1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Shipping depends on where you live. The estimate it gave me was $31.80. I considered an ASRock board years ago, but I couldn't get past the unsightly color scheme. It looked like Helen Keller designed a motherboard.

Anyone here dealt with these ebayers? How do they have so many R3G's? Something about their listing tells me don't buy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Rampag..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cee3b76c3#viTabs_0

I've still got my xeons I bought a year ago. Still debating picking up a rampage board since they are turn-key.

Any other boards work with these xeons without modding? I don't want to have to count on getting a board with the correct rev. I'd just like to buy one and have it work. Would be really cool to see a list of such boards on the first post of this thread.

edit: I seem to have found a list Currently eyeballing a x58 sabertooth for sale near me.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyone here dealt with these ebayers? How do they have so many R3G's? Something about their listing tells me don't buy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Rampag..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cee3b76c3#viTabs_0

I've still got my xeons I bought a year ago. Still debating picking up a rampage board since they are turn-key.

Any other boards work with these xeons without modding? I don't want to have to count on getting a board with the correct rev. I'd just like to buy one and have it work. Would be really cool to see a list of such boards on the first post of this thread.

edit: I seem to have found a list Currently eyeballing a x58 sabertooth for sale near me.

The only board requiring mods are very specific evga boards iirc...Some gigabyte boards are very tricky to overclock the hexacores just going from memory. As far as the listing you found that you thought looked suspicious, it looked fine to me and im not sure what gave you a bad feeling. (aside from the price being a bit high)

As far as having a master list of boards that have no issues, i would agree i wish i would have thought of decent way of getting the list together years ago starting with my first thread. So yea i do regret not doing that. Course it seems as long as it wasn't a budget board to start with it had a very decent chance of having no issues. For example, I have never heard of any Asus boards the didn't work. The rampage is nice for sure but not at all required.;)

I took a very long break from trying to push my OC (last time I tried a few months ago, Windows somehow got corrupted and I had to do a fresh install). I'm finally trying it out again and I have a question. I set my CPU voltage to 1.2 V and BCLK to 200 for a total of 4 GHz. Previously I had been running stable at 3.6 GHz. At my old memory multiplier, memory speed was 1603 MHz (my sticks are supposedly rated at 1600 MHz. However, when I saved settings and restarted, the PC failed to post. I was about to drop the BCLK again but out of curiosity I dropped the memory multiplier to the next (lowest) setting - it's now I believe around 1200 MHz. Fired it up, booted into Windows, and played some games with no apparent issues.

Is it safe to say that my RAM is holding back my overclock? I use my gaming PC almost exclusively for Skyrim, which has a high CPU clock dependence; would it be a good idea to try to trade my RAM for some used XMP-configured sticks?

Are your ram timings too tight? Relax the timings and see if that helps.

7-7-7-21 1T to 9-9-9-25 2T Or try 9-10-9-28 and so on.

Also keep in mind a tripple channel kit with decent timings and 1t command rate running at 1200mhz is probably not as much of a bottle neck as one might imagine....You might get one or 2 fps difference if your lucky
You might be able to get the blck high enough to bring the ram almost back up to ddr 1600 so that it be kinda a moot point anyway. Lastly keep an image backup and you don't have to worry about the time and work getting windows back up an running.

I tried loosening the RAM timing and got the PC to boot, but it crashed pretty quickly on a Prime95 RAM test. It's pretty stable with the RAM at 1200 MHz. I have noticed that above 3.6 GHz CPU clock speed my computer restarts when trying to wake from sleep, so that's an issue.

My main concern is that the RAM may be holding me back from a higher OC. I couldn't get my i7 930 past 3.7ish GHz for a sustained time period with a Corsair H70 while everyone else with the chip seemed to be hitting 4-4.2 GHz on air, and now I can't get a stable 4 GHz from the x5650. I might try to borrow some stick from a friend and see if they fare any better.

give it a full 1.35 volts on vcore as well......1.2 doesn't guaranty shit really and as long as your not overheating it really is not hurting a thing

Giving the vcore 1.35 enabled boot and even wake from sleep, but the PC crashed as soon as I launched Skyrim, so still no go.

What's the worst that can happen if I remove my RAM and replace it with a single module that's not listed as officially supported? A friend of mine has this stick that I'd like to try out.

Giving the vcore 1.35 enabled boot and even wake from sleep, but the PC crashed as soon as I launched Skyrim, so still no go.

What's the worst that can happen if I remove my RAM and replace it with a single module that's not listed as officially supported? A friend of mine has this stick that I'd like to try out.
For kicks and giggles try pulling three of the memory sticks temporarily. Keep the other three in the proper slots to enable triple channel. Seems to me I remember quite a few people having overclocking stability issues back in the early days of X58 with more than three banks populated, due to either boards having a more difficult time with all banks filled or possibly just a cpu with a weaker IMC.

Should work just fine. 99% of the time better brands of ram will work even if they are not officially supported, sometimes you will have to set the timings manually to get things stable. My Patriot 8gb 2400mhz sticks aren't listed as supported for my board and I haven't had any issues (other than the fact that I'd need 240mhz BCLK to get them to their rated speed).

A side note, when overclocking it might be a good idea to have an extra drive that you can use for testing (just clone your current drive, and unplug all the other drives) to make sure things are stable. If windows gets corrupted, you won't have to worry about it. :)

I've always had windows get corrupted if it crashes on boot, if it crashes after that it probably won't corrupt anything.

Huh, just stumbled across this thread after just selling my X58 rig. I have a question about my old system even though I don't have it anymore.

The specs of the system were:

EVGA X58 SLI LE
6x G.Skill DDR3-1600
i7-930 @ 3.4GHz
2x HD6970's in Xfire

I put that motherboard through every possible BIOS update, a 12GB kit of Corsair RAM and TWO 12GB kits of G.Skill RAM but no matter what I did, it would still only ever recognize 8GB of RAM on a cold boot.

I got in the habit of the years when I hard to boot it up cold (from being off for a while) to immediately go to the BIOS, wait a second then reboot it, or Windows would never see the full 12GB.

I can only imagine it was a faulty board. 3 RAM kits and probably 3 BIOS updates and that issue remained. Was never a PITA enough for me to do something about it (apart from the RAM kit replacements early on) so I just lived with it.

Curious if anyone has any idea what the problem was.

You can try to bump the qpi voltage, just don't go over 1.35v
Also have the uncore set to 2 x ram speed or one click lower. See if that helps at all.

Maybe list your system specks and the settings/voltage you have set now in the bios.
Include make model even the psu.

You can try to bump the qpi voltage, just don't go over 1.35v
Also have the uncore set to 2 x ram speed or one click lower. See if that helps at all.

Maybe list your system specks and the settings/voltage you have set now in the bios.
Include make model even the psu.

This may have been the most on-target computer advice I've ever received. Thumbs up!

I started by bumping my CPU voltage from Auto (~1.2 V - I had played around with it before, couldn't get it stable, and gave up) to 1.35V as Primetime suggested. I was able to boot into Windows with 1603 MHz clock speed, but couldn't even launch Skyrim without crashing.

I then relaxed RAM timings; this did not seem to have much of an effect. I also set CPU voltage back to Auto since I didn't see a reason to have it running at 1.35 if it still wouldn't stabilize. For some reason the new Auto setting was 1.296. I'm not quite sure what that means and why it changed. Looking back at my previous posts in this thread from back in January the Auto setting was also 1.296, so I'm not sure why it dropped in the meantime.

I set my uncore to 2x RAM (I had not thought to play with this before and had it on Auto - several increments higher) and this allowed me to launch Skyrim but the PC still failed Prime95 after a few minutes and still crashed upon waking from sleep. There was a slight improvement - I was able to wake it a couple times - but only 2 out of 5 attempts.

I then bumped my QPI voltage from 1.118 (Auto) to 1.3. All of a sudden I was able to boot into windows with 1603 MHz RAM frequency, sleep and wake as often as I wanted to with no crashes or restarts, and the PC has been running the Prime95 Blend test for 10 hours. Max core temperatures range from 60 to 75 C via HWmonitor. This seems stable! I may try to push my OC higher now, but I'm really happy that I can hold down 4 GHz with no apparent glitches. Thanks for the advice!

In case anyone sees any other parameters to optimize, here are my specs and BIOS settings.

CPU: x5650
Mobo: ASUS Rampage 3 Gene
RAM: OCZ Gold (12 GB)
PSU: Seasonic SS750KM3
Graphics: Gigabyte R9 290x Windforce

BIOS (upped RAM clock to 1603 since taking the images):
j4yHAqT.jpg

puJgnns.jpg

fHua2yu.jpg

hx8RNYQ.jpg

mNKCKst.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
BOOOM!

US $128.09 ASUS P6T Deluxe!!!

woo hoo 6 core x5650 over clock here i come!

With an X5650 will this board handle 48G of memory? trying to find deals on memory but doesnt seem to be any good ones for DDR3 :(

[EDIT]Ugh upon checking closer, the board is NOT a deluxe edition but a normal Asus P6T http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6T/

Seems from reading it doesn't lack much from the Deluxe and should clock just as well

i do see people are still overclocking X5650's on them to 4Ghz +...

For memory is 1600 enough or should i aim for 1866 for memory?

Last edited:
There's diminishing returns with faster memory speeds. Timings tend to be more important than frequency on X58. Memory is also one of the worst areas to spend extra money.

There's diminishing returns with faster memory speeds. Timings tend to be more important than frequency on X58. Memory is also one of the worst areas to spend extra money.

Good to know, so 1333 / 1600 would be my speeds to look at then with tighter timings, and only 1600 if the price is no diff than 1333 then..?

for PSU, i am looking around the 700w range as i am considering maybe a 970 or a AMD 3 series pending on how they are on release.. with that i want to test to 48G of memory and will have maybe 2 x 3TB in a raid 1 and several SSDs with a possble PCIe raid card added in. 700w should be sufficient i would think with an 80 silver or gold...?

For memory is 1600 enough or should i aim for 1866 for memory?
One thing to keep in mind though, faster memory will always give you more options though with regards to memory dividers, etc. Now I'm agreeing with the above poster, don't just waste money to get the fastest memory available, but the fastest, lowest latency, lowest voltage you can find without over paying is always preferable. I do recall a thorough memory "shootout" that was done on X58 a few years back that concluded gains above 1600MHz were minimal at best though.

with that i want to test to 48G of memory
The more memory you have the more it will stress the IMC and could potentially limit your overclock, best not to way overdo it if you don't actually foresee a situation in which you could use that much memory.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind though, faster memory will always give you more options though with regards to memory dividers, etc. Now I'm agreeing with the above poster, don't just waste money to get the fastest memory available, but the fastest, lowest latency, lowest voltage you can find without over paying is always preferable. I do recall a thorough memory "shootout" that was done on X58 a few years back that concluded gains above 1600MHz were minimal at best though.

The more memory you have the more it will stress the IMC and could potentially limit your overclock, best not to way overdo it if you don't actually foresee a situation in which you could use that much memory.

I don't necessarily agree, my own experience with 48GB of ram had no effect on my overclock.

Keep in mind that faster memory speeds = more heat from the CPU since you are overclocking the built in memory controller, this will definitely limit your overclock. For me, downclocking from 1600 to around 1450 with a lower BCLK and higher multiplier and higher CPU clock (from 4.4Ghz to 4.5Ghz) was good for 8-10C less on the CPU temps.

Hi guys i´m back

So now i have tried 4.2GHz and i think i got it stable.
Been running Prime95 for the last hour without any trouble.
Here is a picture:
Prime95_och_RealTempGT1.png

I see two cores almost hitting the mid 70 temps :(
It goes up and down between 69-74 when running Prime95 :eek:
Should i be worried?
VCore is now at 1,30V in BIOS

Those temps aren't horrible with a Mugen 2 and single fan. What is your case airflow like? Have you measured the cooler intake temp vs room temp to see if there's some intake improvements to be found?

I use a Mugen 4 with 2 Noctua P12s on my 5660 at 4255 with similar volts at load (altho it uses offset voltage with my Sabertooth). With IBT or P95 hits the low 60s with core0 the hottest at 65. Ambient temp at 21, cooler intake temp at 23. Idles at 27.

Have you found an advantage to running a high BCLK and low mult? I've had the best success with the x23 Mult and lower BCLK (185).

Those temps aren't horrible with a Mugen 2 and single fan. What is your case airflow like? Have you measured the cooler intake temp vs room temp to see if there's some intake improvements to be found?

I use a Mugen 4 with 2 Noctua P12s on my 5660 at 4255 with similar volts at load (altho it uses offset voltage with my Sabertooth). With IBT or P95 hits the low 60s with core0 the hottest at 65. Ambient temp at 21, cooler intake temp at 23. Idles at 27.

Have you found an advantage to running a high BCLK and low mult? I've had the best success with the x23 Mult and lower BCLK (185).

Yea i would think the highest multi be easiest as well....He might just be testing if 200blck works just for the hell of it

Who will be upgrading to Skylake?

I currently game at 1080p on a X5650 overclocked to 4Ghz with a GTX 970. I would like to try 1440p with Gsync/Free Sync on a more powerful system to achieve desirable frames per second.

When the new platform has matured a bit (i.e. Skylake platform, Windows 10) I will take the plunge.

Answear: I have 1st 200mm fan in the front(intake) + 1st 140mm on the side(intake), 1st 200mm in the top(outflow) + 1st 140mm in the back(outflow). Ambient tempare 23 dont know about intake temps. Idles at 34.

I havn´t tried with higher mult and lower BCLK, but i did try out to hit 4.41GHz with 21x210 and it did boot and run through CINEBENCH but the temps raced up to high and started throttling the cpu so i when back to 200x21. I also tried 23x200 and it did boot but i couldnt get the darn thing stable, not even with 1,45V on the VCORE so i guess i´m stuck at 4,2GHz until i buy watercooling, then i´m going to give 4,6GHz one more try :-P

I would love to see the AMD Fury X benchmarked on one of these old azz X58 with the Xeon 6 core just see what we are missing out on..

Ditto. Skylake-E will probably be my next upgrade. I'm thoroughly amazed at how well x58 and Xeon has kept up to the new platforms.

EDIT: Or another way to word that is that I'm thoroughly amazed at how poorly the new CPU's have scaled with regard to IPC. lol

Last edited:
Ditto. Skylake-E will probably be my next upgrade. I'm thoroughly amazed at how well x58 and Xeon has kept up to the new platforms.

EDIT: Or another way to word that is that I'm thoroughly amazed at how poorly the new CPU's have scaled with regard to IPC. lol

The X58 platform has had exceptionally long legs and has been given a great boost with these cheap six core Xeons floating around that can clock well beyond their intended speeds, but don't kid yourselves. I have an X58, X79 and X99 and my 5960X even at it's daily settings (4.5GHz) just blisters my X5670 at it's balls out benchmarking setting of 4.9GHz in per core performance to the tune of roughly 20%. It gets even worse if you take into account the two additional cores and if I were to compare it at it's peak benching speed. In fact the 3930K is closer in performance per core to the 5960X than the X5670 is to the 3930K, so headway is being made. I think we're just not noticing it as much anymore due to default clock speeds being stagnated and possibly we've gotten to a point where many cpus which aren't necessarily the fastest are "fast enough" for most anything we ask of them.

Last edited:
The X58 platform has had exceptionally long legs and has been given a great boost with these cheap six core Xeons floating around that can clock well beyond their intended speeds, but don't kid yourselves. I have an X58, X79 and X99 and my 5960X even at it's daily settings (4.5GHz) just blisters my X5670 at it's balls out benchmarking setting of 4.9GHz in per core performance to the tune of roughly 20%. It gets even worse if you take into account the two additional cores and if I were to compare it at it's peak benching speed. In fact the 3930K is closer in performance per core to the 5960X than the X5670 is to the 3930K, so headway is being made. I think we're just not noticing it as much anymore due to default clock speeds being stagnated and possibly we've gotten to a point where many cpus which aren't necessarily the fastest are "fast enough" for most anything we ask of them.

No surprise really, a x5670 needs about 4.1ghz or so to equal a stock 3930k (all cores maxed), and in pure single core performance the 3930k will probably still pull ahead.

But again, if you are using applications that can use all of those threads the x5670 cannot be matched for the going price.. Even building from scratch, of course that is assuming that the board is under $150 or so.
Of course if you were to get a steal on a 5820k or something (~$200) that would be a much better option. And to help that a bit DDR4 is quickly dropping in price, and those Micro Center bundles are not bad at all.

Last edited:

I'm not kidding myself when my x58 platform costs a fraction of x99. :D

I've NEVER been on a platform this long. It was usually every year or two that I'd upgrade my motherboard and/or CPU. The x99 was tempting, but looking at the ridiculous cost of upgrading compared to the performance increase was a joke, especially at gaming.

Instead of performance obsolescence, its now mostly feature obsolescence of the platform itself. M.2, SATA Express, USB 3.1, etc....all of these are starting to become attractive upgrades that only a new platform can offer without having a ton of add-in expansion cards. There's also power savings and the change of memory types (DDR4) that might offer better performance and cost savings. X58 is a hot mess....a sexy hot mess, but hot nonetheless.

Skylake-E, i'm hoping, is my next platform upgrade. If my x58 system blows up, then x99 will be it. Unless AMD can pull a rabbit out of their arse with Zen. It'd be nice to go back to switching between AMD and Intel like I did back in the 90's.

CPU: x5650
Mobo: ASUS Rampage 3 Gene
RAM: OCZ Gold (12 GB)
PSU: Seasonic SS750KM3
Graphics: Gigabyte R9 290x Windforce

I wish I had dropped back in here to help you..I fought so much with the Rampage II Extreme and the RIII Gene that I can recite BIOS settings in my sleep..Glad to see you got it working though!!

This thread makes me sad that I sold my i970 (4.2Ghz from day 1) and Rampage combo, but I have been Very happy with my current 3770K @ 5ghz..I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Overclocking, and prefer to get the max 24/7 clocks then playing with 1 min LN2 runs anymore..

PS, if anyone decides to grab one of these Rampage III+930+6GB combos and wants to sell off some of the 2GB ram sticks, let me know..I would be willing to take 2 or 4 of them to upgrade some dual channel machines that only have 4GB of ram..

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Off Topic but there's no better thread then this for it.

Anybody running an Intel 750 on your x58?

No surprise really, a x5670 needs about 4.1ghz or so to equal a stock 3930k (all cores maxed),

A friend of mine runs a stock i7 3930K (3.5GHz across all cores) and scores ~19 FPS in x264 ver. 5.0.1 benchmark 2nd pass run, meanwhile I score ~21 FPS under similar circumstances with my X5670 @ 4.2GHz. It means I'm 10% faster while being clocked 20% lower and this puts Westmere at a 10% IPC disadvantage over Sandy Bridge, which is not too much.

Last edited:
I wish I had dropped back in here to help you..I fought so much with the Rampage II Extreme and the RIII Gene that I can recite BIOS settings in my sleep..Glad to see you got it working though!!

This thread makes me sad that I sold my i970 (4.2Ghz from day 1) and Rampage combo, but I have been Very happy with my current 3770K @ 5ghz..I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Overclocking, and prefer to get the max 24/7 clocks then playing with 1 min LN2 runs anymore..

PS, if anyone decides to grab one of these Rampage III+930+6GB combos and wants to sell off some of the 2GB ram sticks, let me know..I would be willing to take 2 or 4 of them to upgrade some dual channel machines that only have 4GB of ram..

:D:D:D

Well i got the mobo, got the CPU, i am in Calgary now, so going to test the board with a friends memory and psu, make sure it posts, if it posts then time to dig through what cooler to get for the Xeon to get some good speeds out of it.

What are most of you using for cooling?

AIO kits from corsair or Air cooling from NOC or something?

Was thinking maybe a

NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX34313
$70 price between the Corsair AIO's which are over $100

Last edited:
Back