1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Then do a THICK line, X method is shit especially for AC5 because of its viscosity. You can use w/e you want, I saw what I had under my cooler and that to me was a not good contact and/or good thermal paste spread. That was my experience.

That's why I put a rice grain in each of the acute angles of the "X" I did. This makes for full coverage on the spreader with the AS5.

After 8 hours, I have had 3 of the 12 workers fail on Prime 95 with the "Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4". I am assuming this means I have my VCore set too low @1.2875v.

I take a credit card and spread the past super light and even on the spreader and heat sink is way i have always did it and the entire surface will makes contact.
Course my heatsink kinda floats before i get it tightened down but even then i can spin it a bit both ways to help spread the past even further. I use non conductive so if a small amount comes off the side it hurts nothing.

VCore set too low @1.2875v
needs to be bumped up to about 1.34 unless you have crappy cooling

Last edited:
Using my X method with the rice grains on the acute angles with my Corsair H80, my temps have dropped nearly 20 C. At full load, running Prime 95 @4.18ghz for over 8 hours, my max temp has been has been 73 C.

I have heard the credit card method is absolutely the wrong way to spread the paste. Too easy for air pockets to form.

Oh, I am rerunning Prime 95 blend again, this time with the VCore st 1.3000v. After an hour, so far, so good! Max temp has been 72, mostly staying in the high 50s and 60s.

I've had the best luck with a very thin line right down the center. Max temp p95 blend over 15h at 4.4/1.325v was 68c.

After 8 hours, I have had 3 of the 12 workers fail on Prime 95 with the "Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4". I am assuming this means I have my VCore set too low @1.2875v.

Could also be VTT set too low. I always thought it would be neat if we could set the voltage separately for each core. :)

I've been trying to find the best balance between speed and power savings. 3.7 @ 1.177 is what I'm at right now.

I've been trying to find the best balance between speed and power savings. 3.7 @ 1.177 is what I'm at right now.

well you can have both actually...with cstates and speedstep on i have seen mine draw as little as 150watts when pc is not doing much....i will draw more power as you start to do stuff but some of the power draw is coming from the video card obviously.

i usually tweak power savings in windows as well since the os has a built in speedstep if you tell it the cpu doesn't have active cooling and such. stuff like going to sleep when not in use helps since the power draw will drop to about 10watts.

anyways was just pointing out you can have both speed and reduced power.;)

well you can have both actually...with cstates and speedstep on i have seen mine draw as little as 150watts when pc is not doing much....i will draw more power as you start to do stuff but some of the power draw is coming from the video card obviously.

i usually tweak power savings in windows as well since the os has a built in speedstep if you tell it the cpu doesn't have active cooling and such. stuff like going to sleep when not in use helps since the power draw will drop to about 10watts.

anyways was just pointing out you can have both speed and reduced power.;)

I have all the power saving stuff enabled. When idle the multi drops down to x21 from x23, sometimes drops to x12 but only stays there for a second or two. Is there a way to keep it at x12 or something similar when idle?

Edit: Have managed 1.164v @ 3.8Ghz stable with 25 passes of IBT. Really need to get a kill-a-watt to check my power savings, considering using this system as a 24/7 htpc/home server.

Last edited:
Well people might complain if it took to long for it to jump back to full speed and as it is for me i cant even tell its enabled unless i check the settings or measure power draw with an outlet meter.
In contrast turbo can seem to take much longer to engage while doing sorta the same thing and i guess for me, im kinda glad it goes to full speed as fast as it does;)

Thanks for your comments Hazard, Bil24 - My 5670 arrived today and my RAM is on its way!

Has anyone use a Noctua U12P SE2 on the Xeon 56xx chips? The details on the web seem a little ambiguous.

Thanks for your comments Hazard, Bil24 - My 5670 arrived today and my RAM is on its way!

Has anyone use a Noctua U12P SE2 on the Xeon 56xx chips? The details on the web seem a little ambiguous.

It should work fine. It looks to be pretty close to the C14, which when overclocked it doesn't perform so well at high loads. It depends on the CPU/board but I'd say it should be good up to 4ghz or more if it is a good batch.

C14 vs NH-U12S

C14 vs U12P SE2

It might do better with 1366 according to this. Either way it should work quite well.

Last edited:
It should work fine. It looks to be pretty close to the C14, which when overclocked it doesn't perform so well at high loads. It depends on the CPU/board but I'd say it should be good up to 4ghz or more if it is a good batch.

C14 vs NH-U12S

C14 vs U12P SE2

Thanks for your thoughts on this. There is some information on the Noctua site that says that the air cooler (NH-U12P SE2) can't be installed due to the difference in mounting points - for the 5500 series xeons. Thoughts? Do the 5500 xeons have different mounting points than the 5670's?

I don't really want to spend more than I have to, but would AIO watercooling be the better way to go?

Usually mounting pattern is dependent on socket type, not specific CPUs. For example, any LGA1366 cooler should fit any other 1366 motherboard.

I'm with you, I did a few more searches and it seems that I should be fine installing this cooler.

The big problem (potentially) however is my motherboard.

Do the Xeon 5670's overclock well on a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 rev1 motherboard?

I'm with you, I did a few more searches and it seems that I should be fine installing this cooler.

The big problem (potentially) however is my motherboard.

Do the Xeon 5670's overclock well on a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 rev1 motherboard?

It should work at stock, but I don't know if it will overclock at all. Someone reported that as soon as they start overclocking it failed to post.
A few of the earlier Gigabyte boards had this issue, I don't know if there is a workaround or not.

It looks like the ram was the issue. It should work fine. Only way to know for sure it to try it. Make sure the bios is updated first. :)

If you pull the trigger and your cooler isn't quite enough, take a look at the Raijintek Ereboss. It is very good for the money ($40). It nearly keeps up with my NH-U14S which is on par with a NH-D14. The mounting system is a little frustrating, but it is worth it in the end.
A good AIO would obviously be better, but I don't really care for the (very small) risk of it leaking.

Last edited:
Thanks tbob22..

It seems likely that I'm going to be heading into murky waters with this :( I have the processor - I'll see if it overclocks "at all" before looking into cooling.. I was looking into the H100i - but I think I'll hold off before putting more into the money pit!

Is there any info about which bios version I should be on re. Gigabyte EX58-UD5 rev1 motherboard?

I have the latest (F13) but I'm not sure if that is the best one.. some websites say F8 while others F12 etc..

Thanks tbob22..

It seems likely that I'm going to be heading into murky waters with this :( I have the processor - I'll see if it overclocks "at all" before looking into cooling.. I was looking into the H100i - but I think I'll hold off before putting more into the money pit!

Is there any info about which bios version I should be on re. Gigabyte EX58-UD5 rev1 motherboard?

I have the latest (F13) but I'm not sure if that is the best one.. some websites say F8 while others F12 etc..

The latest bios should be fine. Just watch for the memory issue that poster had. Start with your memory at 1333 or so for testing. It sounds like it should work, that poster got 200x20 without issues once the memory was at a lower speed.

The latest bios should be fine. Just watch for the memory issue that poster had. Start with your memory at 1333 or so for testing. It sounds like it should work, that poster got 200x20 without issues once the memory was at a lower speed.

Sounds like a plan.. thanks :)

Sounds like a plan.. thanks :)

No problem. BTW, what they mean on the Noctua site is many of the Intel 5500/5520 chipset based boards (server boards) have a larger backplate, nothing to do with the processors.

For example this Supermicro board has the threads for the heatsink bolts built into the backplate. For these boards you'd need a NH-U12DX i4 or NH-U12DX 1366.

What's so nice about the x58 hexacore upgrade is that some boards (including mine), had advertisements for 6 core support since the beginning. I didn't really put much thought into it but never imagined i'd be popping in a server 6 core, which was highly overclockable, especially when compared to my old i7950.

I've always hated having to rip out a bunch of hardware from my pc because 1 part of the link in the chain has essentially become obsolete. Most always it has been the processor and motherboard because of socket changing and the rule of markets.

This time, well, my first time ever really, I was able to simply just switch out a processor and extend REAL years to my system longevity. It's great, because for 100 bucks or so I saved myself ripping out my Rampage III, replacing my PSU, and a bunch of other things that are just tiresome. I swear to god everytime I replace parts within my PC case, it's like a miniworkout that I dread. Infact working out is easier and less tiresome than swapping out gear lol

zlspjr.jpg

What's so nice about the x58 hexacore upgrade is that some boards (including mine), had advertisements for 6 core support since the beginning. I didn't really put much thought into it but never imagined i'd be popping in a server 6 core, which was highly overclockable, especially when compared to my old i7950.

I've always hated having to rip out a bunch of hardware from my pc because 1 part of the link in the chain has essentially become obsolete. Most always it has been the processor and motherboard because of socket changing and the rule of markets.

This time, well, my first time ever really, I was able to simply just switch out a processor and extend REAL years to my system longevity. It's great, because for 100 bucks or so I saved myself ripping out my Rampage III, replacing my PSU, and a bunch of other things that are just tiresome. I swear to god everytime I replace parts within my PC case, it's like a miniworkout that I dread. Infact working out is easier and less tiresome than swapping out gear lol

You mean hexacores like the i7-970, i7-980, i7-980X and i7-990X? Hexacore support was one of the reasons you went X58 over P55.

I have a pair of questions.

I may have access to an X5690. I know I'm going to need ECC for it.

My current motherboard is a first-gen Asus P6T WS Professional.

A) Will the X5690 run on it?

B) The board says it supports up to 24GB. 12GB for standard memory, 24GB for ECC.

Can anyone recommend a memory provider and SKU or a direct link for this so I can drop 24GB in?

I'm doing a lot of multi-VM work at the moment, so the extra memory is something I'd REALLY like to take advantage of.

You should have no problem at all with up to 48gb or if nothing else 24gb. Personally i believe the old data only list 2gb sticks since thats all was out back then is only reason it says that.
The x5690 will run no problem at all and pretty much zero risk here assuming you have latest bios. Out of curiosity why do you need ecc ram? Or is it something you have already? iirc, it can work with either;)

I got to ask..

For a gamer, but not hardcore (Valve games, Tropico / Civilization 5 / Arma III / World Of Tanks / Maybe GTA V..

Will i take a massive FPS hit running my 6 cores at stock vs overclocked to say 3-2.5Ghz...thinking about a high end card with a build for Canada.. $300-$400 card..

I am considering a dual socket bored so i can use the rig for VM / Lab system as well...but dont want to spend so much on the EVGA board...

I got to ask..

For a gamer, but not hardcore (Valve games, Tropico / Civilization 5 / Arma III / World Of Tanks / Maybe GTA V..

Will i take a massive FPS hit running my 6 cores at stock vs overclocked to say 3-2.5Ghz...thinking about a high end card with a build for Canada.. $300-$400 card..

I am considering a dual socket bored so i can use the rig for VM / Lab system as well...but dont want to spend so much on the EVGA board...

I would say try it out and and run a few tests with fraps at oc and and non-oc and record the results. Its going to vary for each game and also what card your using but you can get a pretty good base line with what ever card you currently have. Think i compared bf4 long time back between 3.4 to 2.4ghz cause someone was curious and iirc it was about a 15fps on avg drop but still very playable fps close to 60fps. Think i even had to lower a graphics a setting or 2 to remove the graphics card completely from the bottleneck.

Only game i have on your list in Civ5 since i just bought it for my kid so unfortunately i cant test the other games you mentioned but i can say he plays it on a laptop with an amd a10-4600 cpu which is massively under powered compared to ours at 2ghz.:DThink i would be surprised if you lost more than 15-20fps max on any of those games but test them and find out.

GTA V makes full use of all cores pretty much evenly. I have never seen this before, every other game I have played has favored one core even when heavily threaded.

Even on my 5960X GTA V is evenly spread out across all 16 threads with an overall usage below 10%. Given this fact I'm not sure how it would scale at different clock speeds, I would assume no difference at all if all other factors are equal.

There's various benchmarks across the internet that show little difference in average FPS between i5s and i7s. I'm sure you'll get a smoother gameplay experience with an i7 compared to an i5, but the notion that you need all those extra logical threads is simply absurd. That or the benchmarks across the internet are lies.

I play world of tanks and my x5660 is turbo clocked to 4.1Ghz and the ram is at 1477Mhz.. I am running a MSI 770GTX 4Gb at stock speed .. I run 1080p at max everything the game has to offer and get 70fps on most all maps if not more..

I have also been playing World of Warships beta and max detail will net around 56 to 60 fps..

on my laptop most things run fine, i7 and an 860M, so i presume the duallie would be fine as well...

Just having trouble finding in Canada any real "steals" on good motherboards to overclock with for when i Move to Calgary. I was hoping for 2 motherboards, one for me and one for my friend.

I got to ask..

I am running my x5670 at 3.6. It plays everything at 60fps maxed out.

Hey all! You have me on this bandwagon. I have a P6T mobo and a i7 920 that never was happy much past 3.6ghz. I just put a new OS on this system and using it for CS:GO with a 280x. Honestly, I'm fine with my FPS, but what the heck, the x5670 seems cheap enough and if I can get 4ghz I'd be happy. Will be using air cooling, a big Coolermaster heatsink I forget the name/number.

Can someone point to information on the best bios tweaks. It's been so darn long since I've really brushed up on oc'ing, that I forget a lot of the important adjustments for stability. Back in the day, we upped the cpu vcore and maybe ram voltage lol. Now it's a million adjustments.

One other thing, I have 6x2gb dims of Mushkin PC1600. On the P6T will I need to nerf this to 1333?

Hey all! You have me on this bandwagon. I have a P6T mobo and a i7 920 that never was happy much past 3.6ghz. I just put a new OS on this system and using it for CS:GO with a 280x. Honestly, I'm fine with my FPS, but what the heck, the x5670 seems cheap enough and if I can get 4ghz I'd be happy. Will be using air cooling, a big Coolermaster heatsink I forget the name/number.

Can someone point to information on the best bios tweaks. It's been so darn long since I've really brushed up on oc'ing, that I forget a lot of the important adjustments for stability. Back in the day, we upped the cpu vcore and maybe ram voltage lol. Now it's a million adjustments.

One other thing, I have 6x2gb dims of Mushkin PC1600. On the P6T will I need to nerf this to 1333?

vCore: 1.35v
CPU PLL: up to 1.9v
QPI: up to 1.35v
vDDR: 1.65/66 or what ever your ram needs
QPI link: select lowest
dram freq 1526mhz
All spread spectrum off, multi 22, blck 191, XMP mode for ram, turbo n/a, cstates on, speedstep on or off, rest of settings are pretty good at default
As far as the ram speed you can try faster but it really depends on how your ram overclocks...mine doesn't and im fine with it;) This will give you a very quick and easy 4200mhz. You can of course try for lowest voltage possible as time permits

Hi everyone
I´m new in this forum but i have read through this thread and i find the forum gives alot of ideas and help for people with problems or yust people how wanna know how to overclock, yust like me :)

So i yust bought this Xeon X5660 and installed it, had a i7-930 @ 4.0GHz before i changed it out.
I can say that it is a beast compared to the i7-930, i did a compare in skyrim with exactly them same setup and the X5660 and it hardly works(5-13% load playing) at all, and my i7-930 was at 60-80% load during playing with the same setup. I love this cpu.
And now for my idle and max temps(in Celcius) with Intel Prime95 and HWM:

IDLE: Core0-31degr, Core1-30degr, Core2-30degr, Core8-27degr, Core9-34degr, Core10-30degr
MAX LOAD: Core0-63degr, Core1-60degr, Core2-58degr, Core8-57degr, Core9-64degr, Core10-60degr

Will try to fix a picture to link to soon. EDIT: got a picture working:

HWM_and_Prime95.PNG

Does this look okey or is it going to hot @ 4.0GHz?

Going for the 4.2GHz soon that i didnt menage to get my old i7-930 or i7-920 stable nore with good temps.

So what do you guys think? Good? Bad?

Last edited:
As long as you have a decent cpu cooler (and you do) and modest case air flow...and you keep the vcore at 1.35 or under you will have no problem with temps at 4200MHZ or below...sure it might reach high 70's on a hot hot day but it's still no problem

Agreed with Primetime. Those Xeons are rated to hit over 80 degrees Celsius (my x5650 is rated for 81.5 C if I remember correctly). It's the best possible upgrade for so cheap (followed closely by adding an SSD and newer GPU) that I could have done!

Back