1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

That certainly was not my intention heh.

We're all Nehalem here :)

I was just contributing to the conversation etc.

I think you were fine. LaCuNa has been ranting and raving about the advantages to having more than four cores in a thread filled with people who own hexacore processors. Seems counterproductive in my opinion. For example, you're not going to try selling a car to someone who already owns the same make and model you're trying to sell. I admire their passion, it's just misplaced in this thread.

The ignore list is an excellent way to drown out the noise of a scrub.

Lol scrub, flipping back and forth you would never know which side he stands on, LOL

This SS shows CPU usage on my 5670 playing GTA V.

During gameplay the game averages around 50% CPU usage, but as you can see 11 cores (HT enabled) are being utilized. The reason GTA V runs soo good, is because the game is optimized very well. It's been a long time since I played a game optimized so well during launch. Most games are a sloppy mess being pushed out the doors as fast as possible. If I played this game on my i7 950 it would be lagging.

With that being said, expect many, many more games that are optimized for larger core counts. I've been waiting for years and years for the xbox 360 and PS3 to phase out and die so that we can get games with better graphics and dynamics on the PC. With the release of GTA V on the pc, my wish has come true. We're moving into the next generation of video gaming, and i'm super excited.

2evyr8i.png

Last edited:

Lol scrub, flipping back and forth you would never know which side he stands on, LOL

During gameplay the game averages around 50% CPU usage, but as you can see 11 cores (HT enabled) are being utilized. The reason GTA V runs soo good, is because the game is optimized very well. It's been a long time since I played a game optimized so well during launch. Most games are a sloppy mess being pushed out the doors as fast as possible. If I played this game on my i7 950 it would be lagging.

With that being said, expect many, many more games that are optimized for larger core counts. I've been waiting for years and years for the xbox 360 and PS3 to phase out and die so that we can get games with better graphics and dynamics on the PC. With the release of GTA V on the pc, my wish has come true. We're moving into the next generation of video gaming, and i'm super excited.

2evyr8i.png

Wow that one core not being used at all. Probably just set afterburner, antivirus and any other running background apps to use that 12th core for perfect balance but even like it is...... it does look to be the best multi threaded cpu usage game to date. Very good info....keep it coming;) Oh and btw what video card and rest of pc parts being used?

Last edited:
Thank you.....that's the info I was wondering about

One page that I love so much is this one, it has all the info on the Xenons you will ever need!

Make it your Home page in your browser :p

Also

A Thought entered my mind to sell him my 5670 for current market value and move up to a x5680.

X5679 is a B version/batch is a better choice vs X5680
1128hup.jpg

Last edited:
One page that I love so much is this one, it has all the info on the Xenons you will ever need!

Make it your Home page in your browser :p

Also

X5679 is a B version/batch is a better choice vs X5680
1128hup.jpg

Well in that case i wonder how it does head to head against a w3680:)

Found a W3680 made in 2012 D batch on eBay, very interesting, curious how is D batch on OCing :confused:

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks! The batch of my X5670 is 3029A561 which means it was manufactured sometime in the 29th week of 2010. As for overclocking, it's rock-solid stable at 4.2GHz @ 1.28-1.29 vcore, however, it climbs up to 80C on the hottest cores during LinX with my CM Hyper 212+ cooler, so I'm reluctant to go any higher. After the extended "normal" 100% usage it never goes above 70C, though.

W36XX do have unlocked multiplier with proper motherboard, my guess wold be they OC better compared to X56XX series.

well i think people would need a proper list of what motherboards would allow unlocked multis......otherwise it could be a complete waste of money:(

2evyr8i.png

If you played that game with an i7-950, it would run just fine. It's cute how you act like eight logical cores is a bottleneck for a video game designed to run on consoles with inferior hardware. Even an i5 would handle the game just fine.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1911-gta-v-cpu-benchmark-4790k-3570k-9590-more

If you played that game with an i7-950, it would run just fine. It's cute how you act like eight logical cores is a bottleneck for a video game designed to run on consoles with inferior hardware. Even an i5 would handle the game just fine.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1911-gta-v-cpu-benchmark-4790k-3570k-9590-more

This article tells a different story, the 8core 5960x at a significantly lower clock speed outperforms the rest. I'd be interested in seeing how it would perform at the same clocks.
http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

Granted, the differences are very small, but it does seem like the game is utilizing the extra cores in some way.

Personally, I don't play games all day and my GPU will be the bottleneck for any modern game far before my CPU. For my uses the extra cores make a huge difference and that is all I need to know. :)

Guys, how do tell/read the manufacturing year of a processor by its batch number? I'd be interested to know mine.

To add to my previous post:
3124B618

• 3=Plant (Costa Rica)
  • 1=Year (2011)
  • 24=Week of the year
  • B=Batch A and B are a good bet (still need some luck of course). F is usually terrible (according to my experience and 970/980x/990x users). I haven't heard anything about C, D, or E
  • 618=Location on wafer (lower is said to be better, but I haven't seen any correlation with any of the CPU's I've had, some have been under under 020 and overclocked badly)
More info here

This article tells a different story, the 8core 5960x at a significantly lower clock speed outperforms the rest. I'd be interested in seeing how it would perform at the same clocks.
http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

Granted, the differences are very small, but it does seem like the game is utilizing the extra cores in some way.

Personally, I don't play games all day and my GPU will be the bottleneck for any modern game far before my CPU. For my uses the extra cores make a huge difference and that is all I need to know. :)

Without the i7-5960X being overclocked, we can't really discern how much it's taking advantage of the extra cores/threads. With the i5-4690K, i7-3770K and i7-4770K all at similar clocks and negligible performance differences, I would say that a quad core is more than capable of handling GTA V.

The article I linked didn't have any enthusiast processors, but it showed you don't need an enthusiast processor to play GTA V with acceptable frame rates with max settings unlike someone here might lead us to believe.

Until quad core processors are limiting what we can and cannot run on our systems, they will continue to be the sweet spot for budget-minded consumers. I've always been a proponent of building a computer to meet your needs and the fact remains the vast majority of users don't need hexacore processors to meet their needs.

Without the i7-5960X being overclocked, we can't really discern how much it's taking advantage of the extra cores/threads. With the i5-4690K, i7-3770K and i7-4770K all at similar clocks and negligible performance differences, I would say that a quad core is more than capable of handling GTA V.

The article I linked didn't have any enthusiast processors, but it showed you don't need an enthusiast processor to play GTA V with acceptable frame rates with max settings unlike someone here might lead us to believe.

Until quad core processors are limiting what we can and cannot run on our systems, they will continue to be the sweet spot for budget-minded consumers. I've always been a proponent of building a computer to meet your needs and the fact remains the vast majority of users don't need hexacore processors to meet their needs.

Sure, a quad core is more than enough for the game at this point, and at higher resolutions you'll run into a GPU bottleneck before the CPU is going to become an issue.

That being said, the fact is that if any of the quad cores were running at 3ghz, the performance would be even lower.
The IPC is very similar on the 4770k and 5960x, so the fact that the 5960x is running at a lower clockspeed, has more cores and is performing better means that the game is taking advantage of the extra cores, otherwise performance would be worse.

I agree that the difference is negligible, but it is using those extra cores for something. :)

Edit: Oh I just noticed, the 4770k at 3ghz gets 79fps. The 5960x is ~6% faster at the same clockspeed. One could argue that the quad channel DDR4 could have an impact on that as well.

Last edited:
but i guess the main difference of the w36 models is they can only be used in single socket boards?

Correct. I personally swapped w3680 out of single mobo x58 workstations into dual xeon workstations and they do not boot at all. I knew that of course, but still had to verify anyhow.
I have tested the w3550 and w356x quad cores on both a dell precision t7500 and thinkstation d20 and they do work in dual setup. Just not the 6-core w36x0 xeons.

Correct. I personally swapped w3680 out of single mobo x58 workstations into dual xeon workstations and they do not boot at all. I knew that of course, but still had to verify anyhow.
I have tested the w3550 and w356x quad cores on both a dell precision t7500 and thinkstation d20 and they do work in dual setup. Just not the 6-core w36x0 xeons.

very interesting...thanks for the clarification

now as far as my interest in the current cpu usage in gta 5 for hexa cores is really that a games is in fact finally at least using a hexa capability...does it need it i doubt anyone's arguing its needed for decent game play but it does give at least a glimmer of promise that there is some benefit even if its more of a mind set that it just "feels smoother"

Anyone who bought a hexa core purely for gaming was very misguided in as up till now its really only been a huge benefit for video encoding or i suppose people with multiple vm's going at the same time. I don't even own the game yet but im happy to see a game starting to push a hex finally after the long wait. It is true they will never make a game requiring a hex any time soon, but its somewhat exciting to see a game at least making use of the extra cores, even if not needed. i cant help but think hexa owners might in fact get a smoother game play experience, but its pure hopeful speculation.

II don't know what is going on with LaCuNa's gta5 results. When I check mine, all 12 threads are being used. Most stay 30-55% with a few a few that dip slightly lower for tiny blips and others that go up to the upper 60s.

It's worth noting that you don't need ECC RAM for these processors. If you already had the stuff laying around, who am I to stop you from using it?

This true across all boards? As i would need to buy memory as well.

So i got a x5650 now looking at boards, these are options so far but wouldn't know from all the reading which could be better....

CAD prices..

Price, hard to beat this one - SABERTOOTH-X58-
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ASUSTeK-COMP...417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item19ff1909e9

GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gigabyte-Tec...720?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4b1519d8

Evga-X58-SLI-LGA-1366-Socket-B - looks a bit dirty and beat up
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Evga-X58-SLI...267?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a13e0873

Expensive - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ASUS-P6T-Del...884?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa6623fcc

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Motherboard (rev 2.0)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gigabyte-GA-...434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3aa81408d2

With that i do need to buy a PSU / Memory as well for the rig...would love 32G

I presume these HP boards since based of server chipset won't over clock at all

HP Z800 Workstation Motherboard
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-HP-Z800-...871?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fd4f53cf

Last edited:

So i got a x5650 now looking at boards, these are options so far but wouldn't know from all the reading which could be better....

CAD prices..

Price, hard to beat this one - SABERTOOTH-X58-
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ASUSTeK-COMP...417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item19ff1909e9

GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gigabyte-Tec...720?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4b1519d8

Evga-X58-SLI-LGA-1366-Socket-B - looks a bit dirty and beat up
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Evga-X58-SLI...267?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a13e0873

Expensive - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ASUS-P6T-Del...884?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa6623fcc

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Motherboard (rev 2.0)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gigabyte-GA-...434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3aa81408d2

With that i do need to buy a PSU / Memory as well for the rig...would love 32G

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-HP-Z800-...871?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fd4f53cf

Skip the P55 board as that is socket 1156 and obviously won't work with these processors.

Any of the other boards will work fine, the EVGA may have compatibility issues, but I believe the rev 2.0 of that board should work.

I'd expect all of those to go up in price, they usually sell between $150-200, but can be had for less if you follow some categorized searches (x58, 1366, etc). If you end up buying one, make sure to carefully check the board for damage (especially the bottom) I had two boards with missing chips on the bottom from ebay.

The server board will not overclock with the bios, while it is possible to overclock using software on some of boards, it will be very limited (~5% max). The only dual socket 1366 board that properly supports overclocking is the EVGA SR2 which goes for ~$500.

ECC is not required, but may be supported on some boards. Some server boards may require ECC.
Depending on your other components, a good quality 750w should be sufficient for ~4.2ghz.

Don't know where you live but there is a x58 Sabertooth for 80$ for sale on the upper West side of NYC Craigslist
Not worht it for me to run down there for it.
I just bought a brand new EVGA FTW3 for 100$ Not bad boards, I have one already with a x5660.
The owner had it in his closet for a couple years, it was sent to him as a RMA,\. He could not wait for it and bought a new board and kept this as a spare.
I will put it to good use.

very interesting...thanks for the clarification

now as far as my interest in the current cpu usage in gta 5 for hexa cores is really that a games is in fact finally at least using a hexa capability...does it need it i doubt anyone's arguing its needed for decent game play but it does give at least a glimmer of promise that there is some benefit even if its more of a mind set that it just "feels smoother"

For what is worth my nephew claims he is getting at least a 15fps bump in GTA V benchmarks after upgrading to the x5670 hexacore I ended up not using for my fail build with the lanparty jr. He previously had a w3520 in his thinkstation S20. Kinda sucks he can't overclock it. It performed so well with everything else (adobe premiere/after effects) he ended up buying it within the hour of testing it. I wish bios modders would focus on modding these workstation machines. But I guess they don't have overclock functionality to begin with.

To be honest I'm having buyers remorse building an x58 gaming rig. Just the desktop ram alone is so expensive. I got 16gb reg'd ram for my thinkstation D20 for $55. It can go as high as $100 for desktop ram. Even after selling my thinkstation d20 I won't totally recoup my $

I will be moving up to Calgary Alberta June 1st, but have a friend i could ship it to, right now down in Costa Rica.

For what is worth my nephew claims he is getting at least a 15fps bump in GTA V benchmarks after upgrading to the x5670 hexacore I ended up not using for my fail build with the lanparty jr. He previously had a w3520 in his thinkstation S20. Kinda sucks he can't overclock it. It performed so well with everything else (adobe premiere/after effects) he ended up buying it within the hour of testing it. I wish bios modders would focus on modding these workstation machines. But I guess they don't have overclock functionality to begin with.

To be honest I'm having buyers remorse building an x58 gaming rig. Just the desktop ram alone is so expensive. I got 16gb reg'd ram for my thinkstation D20 for $55. It can go as high as $100 for desktop ram. Even after selling my thinkstation d20 I won't totally recoup my $

um these cpus don't need special ram at all and the same ram that worked in your think station (ddr3 1300-2100) can work with your x58 gaming build. what kind of ram did you think these cpus need?:D or a better question what mother board did you buy? certain server boards might require special ram, but i don't know which ones do off the top of my head? Did you purchase a server mother board?

CAD prices..

You're correct. None of those workstation class machines overclock at all. Avoid name brand dell/hp/lenovo workstations.

Now, about the ram. You can use unbuffered ECC ram with a xeon cpu on the x58 chipset mobo. But not with with an i7. If you're using an i7 cpu the ram has to be unbuffered and non-ecc. And of course registered ram won't work at all on the x58 chipset (Tylersburg-36S) but it will work on Tylersburg-36D (the 'D' I assume is for dual).
Tylersburg-36D = workstation class/server class

Edit: Forgot to mention that both lenovo workstations and hp workstation motherboards have a different psu pin layout on their motherboards. in other words you can only use hp/lenovo power supplies. That may also be true of dell, but haven't owned one in a long time to check this. Of course you can always mod this to make the off the shelve PSUs compatible.

Last edited:
um these cpus don't need special ram at all and the same ram that worked in your think station (ddr3 1300-2100) can work with your x58 gaming build. what kind of ram did you think these cpus need?:D or a better question what mother board did you buy? certain server boards might require special ram, but i don't know which ones do off the top of my head? Did you purchase a server mother board?

You're very wrong. See my previous post. DDR3 ECC Registered ram (server/workstation ram) in this case does not work at all on x58 chipsets. I wish it did :(
Now the other type of workstation ram, DDR3 ECC unbuffered, does work on an x58 mobo with a xeon cpu. And ot be more precise, the average gaming board would disable ECC in an ECC unbuffered ram/xeon cpu combo. It works fine, but ECC won't be used.

Last edited:
oh ok your trying to use ram you already had......had no idea ddr3 ecc reg ram was so much cheaper but then again most of us are using what we have been using for many years so its been long time since i have even looked at prices of ram much less that type of ram. wonder why the ecc reg ram is so much cheaper? same reason the xeons are cheap because of server pulls? in any case had no idea the more advanced ram (ecc) was cheaper....go figure

Yes, upon further research I discovered regular X58 boards can't use registered RAM. It kind of sucks, but most of us probably didn't have this kind of RAM since we more than likely switched from a Bloomfield processor.

oh ok your trying to use ram you already had......had no idea ddr3 ecc reg ram was so much cheaper but then again most of us are using what we have been using for many years so its been long time since i have even looked at prices of ram much less that type of ram

Correct. I could've re-used the unbuffered ecc ram in my thinkstation s20 had I not sold it. But the thinkstation d20 I currently have has registered ram installed.

I stopped making assumptions about what's compatible with these workstations a long time ago.
let me give you an example of one of the many costly mistakes I've made. On the thinkstation d20 you can use non-ecc unbuffered ram with a single xeon cpu installed. after installing a 2nd xeon cpu and populating the same ram on the 2nd cpu bank rams, the machine doesn't boot at all. It needs to be ecc ram for a dual xeon setup. The behaviour seems to be identical across other dual xeon workstations I've owned (hp z600 / dell t7500).
And of course there was that other time when I found out sli/crossfire support only worked for the quadro/firepro line of cards. d'oh!

Any other thinkstation user out there? anyone brave enough to start a xeon workstation club thread?

Correct. I could've re-used the unbuffered ecc ram in my thinkstation s20 had I not sold it. But the thinkstation d20 I currently have has registered ram installed.

I stopped making assumptions about what's compatible with these workstations a long time ago.
let me give you an example of one of the many costly mistakes I've made. On the thinkstation d20 you can use non-ecc unbuffered ram with a single xeon cpu installed. after installing a 2nd xeon cpu and populating the same ram on the 2nd cpu bank rams, the machine doesn't boot at all. It needs to be ecc ram for a dual xeon setup. The behaviour seems to be identical across other dual xeon workstations I've owned (hp z600 / dell t7500).
And of course there was that other time when I found out sli/crossfire support only worked for the quadro/firepro line of cards. d'oh!

Any other thinkstation user out there? anyone brave enough to start a xeon workstation club thread?

Can i ask you what is your definition of a
"xeon workstation"? for example are they typically dual socket boards? What are the primary factors involved? Would i also be correct in assuming workstation boards don't typically have overclock features, or am i way off again? hey were all here to learn;)

Can i ask you what is your definition of a
"xeon workstation"? for example are they typically dual socket boards? What are the primary factors involved? Would i also be correct in assuming workstation boards don't typically have overclock features, or am i way off again? hey were all here to learn;)

You won't find a single workstation with overclocking abilities. Turbo mode enabling is as far as they can get. Maybe Asus workstation range of mobos has it. I don't know. The user base doesn't need it anyhow. they may consist of video editors, compositors, architects, designers, etc. Not gamers

The label seems to be a manufacturer decision in cahoots with software companies. It really is a scam aimed at architecture/industrial design firms, or AV/Film/Animation production companies that have boatloads of cash to spare and have drank the workstation kool-aid.
You have single xeon cpu desktops branded as workstations. the HP Z400, the dell precision T3500, and the Lenovo thinkstation S20. No different than x58 based desktops, IMO.

The idea is that software companies certify these machines to run their software claiming average computers don't perform as well. Autodesk does this with their Discreet/Avid line of products. And they may bundle their software to run on a thinkstation or hp Z series workstations. 3ds does this with catia as well. Sometimes the workstations are bundled with the higher end software.

So they certify these things according to their software line. It's a ridiculous scheme. If you choose their low end software product, it works on a desktop. If you buy the middle of the road software, it works on a single xeon workstation bundled with a mediocre quadro card. If it's the super-duper top of the line software, it's bundled with a fully decked dual xeon that has a raid setup and an incredibly expensive quadro card (which in reality is a generation old gaming gfx card that has been severely crippled)
And they sell you this claiming the hardware and the drivers have been carefully tuned to optimize the software used.. And you know you need the ECC ram to avoid memory corruption and so forth. you have claim after claim of superior performance.

In my book if I've drawn a dick using photoshop in whatever pc I happen to use at the time, said pc instantly becomes a workstation. How's that? It's work right?

in all seriousness I've needed dual xeon setups in the past to run a crapload of VMs for my admin and network certification studies. Whether it's for loading virtual routers, virtual servers, etc. Yes, they do fit the workstation label in that scenario

I have one Asus dual socket 1366 with two x5650 cpus. Plus two supermicro dual socket 1366 with two E-5620 quad core CPUs in each
A Supermicro AMD quad socket G34 with four 12 core 6168 and a Supermicro AMD quad socket F with four 6 core 8125 CPUs,
That's all my multi socket boards, all have EEC samsung ram. I can use regular DDR ram, but I find used EEC ram cheap on ebay, might as well use it.
Plus I have four x58 boards with xeons X5660s, Two AMD 1045T and one Q6600 still in operation
And I have one large electric bill.

I have one Asus dual socket 1366 with two x5650 cpus. Plus two supermicro dual socket 1366 with two E-5620 quad core CPUs in each
A Supermicro AMD quad socket G34 with four 12 core 6168 and a Supermicro AMD quad socket F with four 6 core 8125 CPUs,
That's all my multi socket boards, all have EEC samsung ram. I can use regular DDR ram, but I find used EEC ram cheap on ebay, might as well use it.
Plus I have four x58 boards with xeons X5660s, Two AMD 1045T and one Q6600 still in operation
And I have one large electric bill.

Can you overclock the dual socket asus board?

No, other than the EVGA SR-2, I know of no other dual socket 1366 board that can be overclocked.
There was a person that said "he did a hard mod to a supermicro board" and was able to overclock it. He said "I'll be back and post how to do it" he never did come back or post up.

The Supermicro AMD quad socket, the right models can be overclocked with a special bios you have to flash. That is with Opteron 61xx series. The 62xx series there is software to overclock them, and you don't have to flash the bios.

Last edited:
I ended up dropping my OC to 4.2ghz. Summer is coming up and I don't want to have to worry about it. :)
Right now I'm able to keep it under 60c at 4.2/1.25v (22c ambient), it could get pretty hot and should stay well under 70c.

To be honest i could more than live with stock clocked dual 5790's and nice video card like a 290x or nvidia equivalent. lol just how good could dx12 be with 24 threads

I'm pretty sure some of the Asus dual cpu mobo's like the Z8PE and NA can be overclocked. There was a custom bios image released while ago on some Swedish overclocking forum for few Asus dual cpu boards to support overclocking and overvolting features.

To be honest i could more than live with stock clocked dual 5790's and nice video card like a 290x or nvidia equivalent. lol just how good could dx12 be with 24 threads

I would check whether it supports radeon crossfire. (or gtx sli). There's a tendency with workstation boards where the manufacturers only pay for the sli/crossfire license support for the workstation grade type cards. i,e quadro/fire pro cards.
I experienced this myself with all dual xeon workstations I've owned.
Of course Asus/EVGA should know better than limit their boards to just quadro/crossfire support. I'd hope so anyway.

Back