1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Again, for the price the x56xx will not be beat if you don't pay a ton for a board, a FX-8350 needs 5ghz+ to match a x56xx at 4ghz.
A x5650 goes for the same price as a g3258.

Very close to it or cheaper imo for the x56xx. Just got a x5650 for a friend off eebay and paid $50 Cdn + shipping after making an offer he took the listing down. Smoking deal and he's upgrading from a Q6600.

I agree these Xeons are one hell of a bargain, Just took a look at eBay and I wouldn't buy any of the X58 motherboards available for under $160 on there. I'm not sure I want to drop that kind of money on an older motherboard. I don't really like the idea of spending more on a board than the processor. Maybe that's a me problem.

Agreed, I wouldn't pay that much.. But I just got a refurbished Asrock Extreme for $60 with free shipping a few weeks ago and it all tested fine.. So there are deals out there but they aren't very easy to find.

Probably not. Unless you got the chips for free (or very cheap). The main point of these x5650, x5660, x5670, etc. Xeons is that they are six cores for cheap.

The x5570 is something like a i7 940 with more cache and a few other differences.
The x5647 is similar to the 970/980/x5670 but only a quad core.

Part of the "savings" with an X58 build would go into RAM. I only recommend someone grab one of these Xeons if they already have their hands on an X58 motherboard. I wouldn't suggest going out of your way to find a deal on a used motherboard. In the same vein, you can save money on a used or open box Z97 motherboard and probably even an i7-4790K.

Why i wasn't sure, i have 2 of each chip and some ECC memory so i would just need to find a board and get a good PSU, was thinking a dual socket board but all the ones i find are expensive, even used

Why i wasn't sure, i have 2 of each chip and some ECC memory so i would just need to find a board and get a good PSU, was thinking a dual socket board but all the ones i find are expensive, even used

Any X58 board is going to cost you. That's the primary obstacle with going X58 right now.

Does anyone have recommendations on where to find refurbished X58 stock at times? I've checked Newegg, EVGA B Stock, Tigerdirect, Microcenter. No luck yet.

Super Micro dual socket boards aren't too expensive, they usually range from $80-120. Obviously the downside is you won't be able to overclock.

Does anyone have recommendations on where to find refurbished X58 stock at times? I've checked Newegg, EVGA B Stock, Tigerdirect, Microcenter. No luck yet.

I doubt you're going to find any refurbished X58 boards. Your best bet is buying something used in working condition on eBay. Those are going to run $160 or more and there's no telling how long it will last you.

I doubt you're going to find any refurbished X58 boards. Your best bet is buying something used in working condition on eBay. Those are going to run $160 or more and there's no telling how long it will last you.

Not necessarily. If you save a search on ebay for something like x58 or 1366 sorted by newest first, you'll eventually get a decent deal. Typical prices are $160+ though.

There's always a chance you come across a great deal, but given the lack of availability of these motherboards I wouldn't count on coming across anything amazing.

I got what seems to be a new old stock RII Gene from a seller on ali babba about 6 months ago for ~$170 - new in sealed box with all accessories in their bags. Seemed like a better way to go than refurbs. There are lots of boards on eBay.

Super Micro dual socket boards aren't too expensive, they usually range from $80-120. Obviously the downside is you won't be able to overclock.

true, the one chip runs at 2.93Ghz with 12mb of cache, so may be a decent performer...

Will keep my eyes open i guess.

You have to be careful with SuperMicro dual socket boards. Some of the use a proprietary PSU.
I just picked up a dual socket SM board,offered 43$ he took it. the PSU plug on the board looked like a regular ATX 20 pin.
Nope it's not, so I had to order a 1200 watt proprietary PSU 43$ and a distributor 20$
I have two E5620 CPUs and mem, and coolers sitting around, figured I would put them to work.
When the other parts come in this week, I hope it all works.
Read the manual and what it says about the PSU BEFORE you buy one !!!!
MY Asus dual 1333 uses regular ATX as does my Supermicro 4 processor socket G34 and my Supermicro 4 processor socket F boards

I got what seems to be a new old stock RII Gene from a seller on ali babba about 6 months ago for ~$170 - new in sealed box with all accessories in their bags. Seemed like a better way to go than refurbs. There are lots of boards on eBay.

I saw those but decided against getting one after seeing this video about it not being able to sleep or power off completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNShaHCF3sE

Have you had any issues with yours?

Anybody on here running a Intel DX58SO with a x56xx??

I could swear i remember a couple people using that board and it working ok, but its been a long time back...could be a real gamble as to how well it overclocks would be main issue

So I went back to square one with my overclock to find out where I was being limited... I went back to the lowest multipliers for CPU, uncore, and memory ratio. I then went and see how far I could take BCLK. I used 10 runs of LinX 0.6.5 with a 28326 problem size (6144MB) to test for stability at a given BCLK. Going slowly, I was able to get BCLK all the way up to 217 by increasing VTT to 1.35V and IOH VCORE to 1.2V. From here, I then tried to find the maximum UNCORE multiplier and DRAM timing. My DRAM is rated at 9-9-9-24 at 1600MHz, and I was able to run these timings at a a DRAM voltage of 1.55V and speed of 1736MHz.

With this all set, I then went to see what CPU multiplier I could hit. I started at 15x and went up increasing CPU VCORE along the way. I finally settled on a speed of 19x216 at CPU VCORE = 1.3375V. Anything beyond this speed would result in immediate failures in LinX even if I increased CPU VCORE to 1.375V. I had it somewhat stable at 20x210 for a little bit at 1.375V, but it wasn't long term stable. CPU core temperatures never exceeded 70C under any circumstance even with voltages as high as 1.4V, but I'd fail the test.

From all this it seems like I've reached the limit of the CPU within reasonable VCORE limits. I don't seem to be temperature constrained, but I feel like I'd need much more voltage to go beyond the 4.1GHz point.

Here are the settings:

CPU VCORE = 1.3375V, no VDROOP
DIMM Voltage = 1.55V
QPI PLL VCORE = 1.2V
IOH VCORE = 1.2V
CPU VTT = 1.35V

BCLK = 216
Multiplier = 19x
Uncore = 16x (3456MHz)
QPI = 4.8GT/s (3888MHz)
DRAM = 2:8 (1728MHz) 9-9-9-24

LinX shows a max GFlops of 80-81 with HT enabled and Cinebench scores 956. Do these numbers seem in line? EDIT: LinX gives me 84-85 GFLOPS when using 6 threads only...

Hardware in question is an EVGA e758-a1 sli3 motherboard, x5670, and 12GB of G.Skill RAM.

Last edited:
LinX shows a max GFlops of 80-81 with HT enabled and Cinebench scores 956. Do these numbers seem in line? EDIT: LinX gives me 84-85 GFLOPS when using 6 threads only...

With HT you got less? Wtf, how is that posible???

Linpack is optimized... The overhead associated with hyperthreading actually slows down the computation.

People here need to understand that clockspeed is not as important as it used to be back in the day.

There are large diminishing returns on performance increases when going over 4ghz, because of current chip design limitations and the laws of physics.

Chip manufacturers realized this long ago, and hence Duo, Quad, Hexacore processors were born. It was a solution to the age ol' problem of clockspeed and diminishing returns.

Most modern games, DO utilize multiple threads. That being said, i've played many different kinds of games on my computer, and ALL of them use multiple cores on my processor. The newer games, use more threads than ever before.

I will never go back to using a Quad core processor after experiencing a hex. I tell you this with confidence. All future games coming, WILL run better on processors with larger core counts. Game engine designers realized that offloading different types of sub processes, such as A.I, sound, graphics, etc etc to more cores allows for much better performance than having everything run on an individual core. And because they've realized this, and because the market is growing with processors that have larger cores than previous, this means that processors with bigger core counts remain supreme.

The next processor I will own on my main rig will be a minimum of 8 physical cores, if not more.

More cores = smoother performance, both in the O.S, and in games, and every other application....unless ofcourse, all you do with your PC is play tetris.

I don't really quite understand that point of that post. You just told a bunch of hexacore owners stuff we already knew. I personally don't think it's worth getting a modern 6- or 8-core processor. That's just a massive investment for extremely specific performance. A hyperthreaded quad core will be more than adequate for several years. It wouldn't make any sense for developers to program their game so that mainstream systems couldn't play them. They want as many people to play their games as possible.

Why the anger? We're just here talking about how awesome it is to get a hexacore into our old X58 system.

An update on the Ereboss. It is a very good cooler for $35. It keeps this hot x5670 which ran at 74c on my NH-U14S at 70c at 4.2ghz/1.325v, although on my Noctua I was running cheapo white thermal paste. Either way I'm quite impressed for the money and it keeps temps well under control.

Anyone looking for a decent cooler for cheap or aren't fond of AIO's should take a look. The downside is the mounting system is pretty terrible, but it does (eventually) work. Also, none of the ram slots are blocked/covered on the Asrock X58 Extreme.

Last edited:
Why the anger? We're just here talking about how awesome it is to get a hexacore into our old X58 system.

Hazard I completely agree with you. I mean, for all my fellow {H} brethren, I want them all to know that x58 with a hexacore IS THE SHIT. This is bang for the buck, I feel like i'm in the Q6600 era all over again. My original post was just to inform and convince those that might still be on the sidelines - that's all. I stated facts, and I got parrot talk back. Just keepin' it real bro.

Edit: Just played GTA V for a couple of hours today, there is game workload on all my cores, and the game runs and looks like sex :D Anyone with a hexacore will love the optimization in that game.

Just played GTA V for a couple of hours today, there is game workload on all my cores, and the game runs and looks like sex :D Anyone with a hexacore will love the optimization in that game.

I can't believe how awesome the game runs. I had to check a few times to make sure I was actually playing GTA, runs as smooth as butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCuNa View Post
Just played GTA V for a couple of hours today, there is game workload on all my cores, and the game runs and looks like sex Anyone with a hexacore will love the optimization in that game.
I can't believe how awesome the game runs. I had to check a few times to make sure I was actually playing GTA, runs as smooth as butter.
Sounds kinda interesting...maybe you guys can throw up a few screenshots showing how well even a direct x 11 games can run across multiple cores....I wonder if that games ever made it into any of the larger cpu comparison where they want us all to believe dual core cpus are such a great choice in this day in age, well for gaming alone anyway. Just for shits and giggles you might test without hyper threading to get a slight idea of what having less cores would do to performance, course just setting affinity in task manager might be a better choice.

back when I had my x58 setup I was running three way gtx 470's and when I went from a 920 at 4.1ghz to a 2.8 ghz hex core I had a fps jump. Nvidia drivers have been multithreaded for a long time now.

Okay, i'll make it even simpler for your parroting dumb ass.

Resources in newer games will be dynamically split between cores. More cores, more of a reduced workload per core. Get it? Or still need more help with comprehension ? Dx12 will bring about bigger benefits. You obviously have no idea about programming either.

You're just like the idiots from years and years ago, claiming that an overclocked E8400 is better than a Q6600. Look what happened over time. GTFO this thread scrub.

You came into a thread filled with people who own hexacore processors to educate us on the processors which we own. I don't understand your tactics. I don't remember seeing anything about people trying to overclock their processor to the moon and back. It seemed to me that the vast majority of users in this thread were content with the overclocks they attained, yet you parade in here proclaiming clock speed isn't the be-all, end-all to processors. If that was indeed our collective mindset, I would think the initial post would have some kind of chart sorted by maximum overclock with links to CPU-Z verification. It's been a while since I've looked at the initial post, but I don't believe that is in there and I also believe that is not the intention of this thread.

Back to my original point: modern hexacore processors are not exactly affordable. It would not make much sense for publishers to release games that will only be playable on extreme platforms. They would eliminate a lot of potential customers and decrease their profit margins in doing so.

Sure having six, eight or even 48 cores would be great, but having four physical cores and four more logical cores is plenty right now. I don't see this changing until hexacore processors become mainstream, i.e. when i5 processors feature six cores without hyperthreading.

Sure having six, eight or even 48 cores would be great, but having four physical cores and four more logical cores is plenty right now. I don't see this changing until hexacore processors become mainstream, i.e. when i5 processors feature six cores without hyperthreading.
Only two things would push Intel to change their current formula, which has been working for 5 years. Either AMD's Zen would need to be good enough to compete at the high end, or DirectX 12 would need to dramatically increase multithreaded performance of games (which so far looks promising).

If either one of these (or both) happens, Intel may bump up each family, e.g.

Celeron/Pentium: 2 cores + HT
Core i3: 4 cores
Core i5: 4 cores + HT
Core i7: 6 cores + HT
Core i7 X: 8 cores + HT

That's my point. Games will be developed to run with whatever is mainstream. Of course they will probably be optimized to take advantage of better, more expensive technology, but that portion of the market is so minuscule that it would be silly for publishers to cater to that sector of the market. Games that take advantage of all these logical cores just means it could be worth it going for an i7-4790K over an i5-4690K if you're playing those games. This whole notion that hexacores will be the new standard is laughable until Intel decides it is. Skylake means DDR4 will be the new standard in memory and no longer just an enthusiast component.

ok first person who posts a snip of cpu usage showing all cores would be nice. I saw a snip earlier showing a 4 core cpu getting hammered to 100% bottlenecking his multigpu setup. Im just curiouse how that graph looks on a 6 core with HT.
hpdQMDy.png

lol 4 cores suck on this engine...but most here knew the days were coming. its entirely possible the games only pegs 4 cores, but only a snip would prove one way or the other. With that being said a high clocked quad with HT might do as well as a hex with HT fps wise. Id be willing to guess the quad with HT can hold its on against a hex so far and even if it did, its still nice to have a little extra cpu power left for background tasks

Off topic
Xeon X5650 @ 4.0 GHz (200x20)
Noctua NH-U12P (push-pull)
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Sapphire R9 270 (2 GB)
OCZ Gold Series (6 GiB) @ 1603 MHz
OCZ Vertex 2E (120 GB)
CoolerMaster Dominator CM-690
CoolerMaster Silent Pro 700 W

You don't mind if i quote your sig :p? I was curious how is 6GB of ram working out for you?(gaming wise) Did you ever ran in to stutter/caching problems in a past? (like there were not enough of RAM and system would page HDD)

I'm on the edge of buying another matched set of Dominators and debating with myself that 6GB is more than enough for today's games...

Dell xps 1366 motherboard and an x5670 for $200. Is that a good deal? I currently run a 2500k at 4ghz. Mostly just play gta 5. Will I see any added performance?? I'm running a crappy biostar p67 and gta crashes at 4.5 ghz even though it's IBT stable

Dell xps 1366 motherboard and an x5670 for $200. Is that a good deal? I currently run a 2500k at 4ghz. Mostly just play gta 5. Will I see any added performance?? I'm running a crappy biostar p67 and gta crashes at 4.5 ghz even though it's IBT stable
I suspect you could get one of the well known brands fro not much more . Sounds like it could be a gamble using a dell board.

Possibly debating on joining the club even though it seems like it may be a bit late, but I was hoping to get y'alls advice first. I've looked over this thread pretty well and the massive 500+ page one over at overclock.net as well, but I was hoping someone could just give me the crash course on a few of the finer points.

Currently I have a Asus P6X58D-E with a 930 @ 4GHz.

First off, will my board accept a Xeon?

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6X58DE/HelpDesk_CPU/

I'm assuming the X5670 seems like the sweet spot from a dollar/performance point, is that mostly accurate? Is it worth it at this point in time? I feel like I may be just holding out for Skylake, and dumping even $100 into a 5 year old board seems a little iffy to me.

Maybe I just need some assurance to push me one way or the other. I don't really do anything real cpu intensive as far as I know, GTA V is the most recent thing that I've noticed that really puts a decent load on the cpu. Any help, suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Off topic

You don't mind if i quote your sig :p? I was curious how is 6GB of ram working out for you?(gaming wise) Did you ever ran in to stutter/caching problems in a past? (like there were not enough of RAM and system would page HDD)

I'm on the edge of buying another matched set of Dominators and debating with myself that 6GB is more than enough for today's games...

I would say for gaming, you're probably better off just getting a new video card. I have been swapping between an R9 270 and an R9 290 (until I get a bracket to install an H55 on the 290) and most of the games I play don't use up the 2GB found on the R9 270 but if you are going to be playing more modern games like Shadow of Mordor and GTAV with the sliders turned up, you will need 3GB or more for the textures.

Possibly debating on joining the club even though it seems like it may be a bit late, but I was hoping to get y'alls advice first. I've looked over this thread pretty well and the massive 500+ page one over at overclock.net as well, but I was hoping someone could just give me the crash course on a few of the finer points.

I'm assuming the X5670 seems like the sweet spot from a dollar/performance point, is that mostly accurate? Is it worth it at this point in time? I feel like I may be just holding out for Skylake, and dumping even $100 into a 5 year old board seems a little iffy to me.

Maybe I just need some assurance to push me one way or the other. I don't really do anything real cpu intensive as far as I know, GTA V is the most recent thing that I've noticed that really puts a decent load on the cpu. Any help, suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

A quick search in this thread shows Nitro16 has a Xeon X5650 running on the same motherboard.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041067579#post1041067579

To me, $100 is a great value for a good hexacore CPU that can still run with most modern CPUs costing 3 times as much.

As for Skylake, it'll be a pretty penny when it comes out. I'm guessing you'll want at least a $300 CPU, $250 motherboard and maybe if DDR4 prices come down, $100 of RAM. Certainly an upgrade from an X58 hexacore but I personally don't think it will be worth it as I don't see it being leaps and bounds faster for my uses.

I would say for gaming, you're probably better off just getting a new video card. I have been swapping between an R9 270 and an R9 290 (until I get a bracket to install an H55 on the 290) and most of the games I play don't use up the 2GB found on the R9 270 but if you are going to be playing more modern games like Shadow of Mordor and GTAV with the sliders turned up, you will need 3GB or more for the textures.

A quick search in this thread shows Nitro16 has a Xeon X5650 running on the same motherboard.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041067579#post1041067579

To me, $100 is a great value for a good hexacore CPU that can still run with most modern CPUs costing 3 times as much.

As for Skylake, it'll be a pretty penny when it comes out. I'm guessing you'll want at least a $300 CPU, $250 motherboard and maybe if DDR4 prices come down, $100 of RAM. Certainly an upgrade from an X58 hexacore but I personally don't think it will be worth it as I don't see it being leaps and bounds faster for my uses.

Okay, I think I will bite. Any good sellers on ebay that you all have used or is it just picking straws?

I doubt any eBay vendor will be more reputable than another when it comes to selling secondhand Xeons. I personally felt safer buying from someone who had several on hand. As for the sweet spot, whichever is the highest-binned stock chip at the highest dollar amount you're willing to spend. For me, that was $100 and that's the price I paid for an X5670. Had I waited another week, I could have gotten an X5675. Oh well.

As for the difference I've seen after switching from an i7-930, my system runs smoother. There's really no other way to describe it. I'm not really surprised because I ran my i7-930 at 3.8GHz and I currently have my X5670 running at 4.2GHz so things should run smoother with more threads running at a higher clock speed. I personally feel like it was worth the investment. It was either spend $100 on a Xeon or blow a bunch of money on equivalent performance in a system centered around an i7-4790K. I believe these Xeons are slightly worse at the same clock, but I can live with ~90% of the performance at pennies on the dollar. These Xeons are just too good of a value for X58 owners looking to squeeze a little more performance out of your system without having to change the motherboard.

Simple answer is: yes, it is worth it.
With a x5650 or x5660 you'll have to run at pretty high bclk to get 4.2ghz+ without turbo. A x5670+ gives a lot more flexibility.

Like hazard said, that board should work fine. Sell that 930 afterwards and get $40-50 back. :)

Try to get a CPU from an auction with an actual photo if you can
I've had five x5670's and the best has been a B batch, 4.5ghz stable 1.35v, but my heatsink can't keep it under 70c at that speed/voltage, so I stuck with 4.4/1.325 (~67c)
The three A's have been quite a bit hotter and all maxed out around 4.2-4.3ghz at 1.35v (75-80c)
The one F I had maxed out around 4ghz at 1.35v and was insanely hot (85c+)

The number of mine is: 3124B618

The second digit may matter as well, all of my other's were 0 (2010) and 9 (2009) but the B is 1 (2011).

Last edited:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400904014328
x5690 for $189 each obo. They usually go for the awful price of $250.
He's sold 6 in the last few hours. He's gonna be out of them by the end of the day. Reputable seller. I've bought a few cpu heatsinks and a workstation off him.
This is the only sane deal I've seen in all day on ebay. I've seen people auction x5650 for $100 which is ludicrous. Those are worth $50 at best. 2 years ago I bought one x5670 for $70. Don't overpay for these old cpus

Here's another seller who auctions one W3690 a day. He also sells them at $189 BIN. But when they're auctioned they close at about $160 ish
http://www.ebay.com/sch/atci9878/m....ntel+Xeon+W3690&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

I knew it. all 40 x5690 cpus sold out in a few hours.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back