1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Yeah, I have had my x5670 for going on 4 months. I have had it overclocked to 4.2ghz all cores turbo (1.28v) with a 4.4 single core turbo. It has been rock solid, no crashes, and no blue screens. That is why this whole vtt thing was pretty strange to me. I had been running strong for so long.

I did have a few change points though, about 11-12 days ago I installed the 12gb gskill ram which I settled for 10-10-10 timing at 1750mhz. Then, about 6 days ago I set the command rate from 2t to 1t. That last change point, I tested very lightly in my book. Just ran some memory test and legit go.

So the fact it would boot with 1.255vtt all of a sudden was kind of strange and unexpected. It is strange because it just completely refused to boot with a 1.255vtt, but will boot 1.275v

Anyway, I share your extra bump for added stability rule. So, after I verified to the absolute best of my ability that 1.275vtt was completely solid. After stress testing and hard core gaming for hours, I did go ahead and bump up the vtt one more notch for that extra security. Not too long ago I bumped up the vtt one more notch which is 1.29v. This wasnt needed but I like the little bump for added stability rule. Afterwards, checking my temps. I did have a 2c increase on my hottest core going from 1.255 to 1.29v in vtt. I am still normalized under 70c but where I used to be steady at 64, I am now at 66c. Not a big deal.

It will work I guess.

I think my CPU has really good overclocking characteristics when it comes t the cores and clock speeds, but the IMC is probably not all that special, average maybe.

Anyway, that ram issue is really strange. I wonder if it is a CPU thing or a motherboard/bios glitch. According to intel, they are only rated to run1333mhz ram. Perhaps its just your CPU. I wouldn't worry about it much cause it seems like other than that, you have great results when it comes to vtt, uncore, and ram capabilities. So really its not something limiting at all, just strange

Yeah, I have had my x5670 for going on 4 months. I have had it overclocked to 4.2ghz all cores turbo (1.28v) with a 4.4 single core turbo. It has been rock solid, no crashes, and no blue screens. That is why this whole vtt thing was pretty strange to me. I had been running strong for so long.

I did have a few change points though, about 11-12 days ago I installed the 12gb gskill ram which I settled for 10-10-10 timing at 1750mhz. Then, about 6 days ago I set the command rate from 2t to 1t. That last change point, I tested very lightly in my book. Just ran some memory test and legit go.

So the fact it would boot with 1.255vtt all of a sudden was kind of strange and unexpected. It is strange because it just completely refused to boot with a 1.255vtt, but will boot 1.275v

Anyway, I share your extra bump for added stability rule. So, after I verified to the absolute best of my ability that 1.275vtt was completely solid. After stress testing and hard core gaming for hours, I did go ahead and bump up the vtt one more notch for that extra security. Not too long ago I bumped up the vtt one more notch which is 1.29v. This wasnt needed but I like the little bump for added stability rule. Afterwards, checking my temps. I did have a 2c increase on my hottest core going from 1.255 to 1.29v in vtt. I am still normalized under 70c but where I used to be steady at 64, I am now at 66c. Not a big deal.

It will work I guess.

I think my CPU has really good overclocking characteristics when it comes t the cores and clock speeds, but the IMC is probably not all that special, average maybe.

Anyway, that ram issue is really strange. I wonder if it is a CPU thing or a motherboard/bios glitch. According to intel, they are only rated to run1333mhz ram. Perhaps its just your CPU. I wouldn't worry about it much cause it seems like other than that, you have great results when it comes to vtt, uncore, and ram capabilities. So really its not something limiting at all, just strange

Well I did try two x5670's so it has got to be something with the board/bios. I wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar with this board/cpu combo.

It would be nice to see how 2400mhz would do, but even if it would work I don't know if there would be any improvement as 2000mhz with tighter timings seems to give better results than 2200mhz with slightly looser timings. At 2000mhz in tri channel it might be getting close to the capabilities of this IMC.

I did a little bit of research on speed versus timings and the benchmarks were largely mixed to the point where no conclusion could be reached. I'm personally going to run the fastest speed I can at the tightest timings possible. My RAM might be capable of reaching 2000 MHz, but I'll probably have to increase CAS to 9 to make it work. I'm currently at 1800 MHz with 7-8-7-20 1T timings. I can run those timings at 1850 MHz, but my overclock gets a little warm before I reach the necessary voltage. I will reseat my heatsink with GC-Extreme this Wednesday and see if I can't hit 4.44 GHz with comfortable temperatures. My RAM wouldn't make it through a single pass without errors in memtest86+ at 1860 MHz with the aforementioned timings. This is one of the reasons I would like to swap out my six 2 GB sticks for three 4 GB or even two 8 GB sticks, but I I don't like the timings I see on a lot of the kits out there.

@cheesy,

You aren't lying. It seems ram took a back step lately. You have really great ram speeds and timings, what voltage are you using on your DDR?

Its really really hard to find decent ram timings anymore. If your looking at triple channel kits, there is virtually nothing unless you decide to buy used. My original 920 ram went out, I bought some corsair 1600 8-8-8 timing which turned out bunk. That was about the best I could find, 1600 8-8-8 but everyone I talked to about it claimed it had to run 2t. Well, 1600 8-8-8 2t is probably worse than 1600 9-9-9 1t, or so I heard.

Anyway, frustrated with all these ram issues..I have this old freakn q6600 socket 775 PC with ddr3 gskill ram. It still running just fine after all these years, so I went with gskill this time.

But, the bad part is it was only rated 1600mhz 9-9-9. 1.5v
Although I heard claims of the ram being 1t. The XMP sets it up as 2t. Anyway, it was really cheap, much cheaper than that corsair ram that didn't work out. Forcing 1t turned out a non issue, and the ram works...so I guess there is that.

I don't know why ram timings seems to have taken a back burner. I guess its the effort now to stay at or around 1.5v. Maybe its the mounting evidence that timing has virtually no impact on current i5s and i7s. That ram speed is the only real metric anymore.

Anyway, at 1750mhz 9-9-9, I wasn't able to boot at 3500mhz uncore. I went as high as 1.335vtt and still no boot. It might be a bios glitch because it was failing to boot back with my original 3325 uncore when I tried to go back, i had to apply it 3 times. Something is strange about it. I was able to run 3500mhz uncore with 1400mhz ram with just 1.255vtt. I guess I will leave well enough alone for now. 1750mhz ram isn't much and neither is 3325 uncore, but really a dont want to push it when its already acting funny.

The difference at 3500mhz uncore would be really really small in the real world anyway.

I spent a small fortune for my RAM. I'm running two Mushkin 998691 kits. Stock timings are 6-7-6-18 with a stock voltage of 1.65 V. I have seen reviews push these sticks above 2000 MHz with 8-9-8-22 timings, but I haven't been able to make that work with two kits and haven't been courageous enough to push DRAM voltage past 1.75.

That's some really nice ram speeds. You have 6 2gb sticks then? Those are great results for so many sticks.

Honestly, there is very very little to gain after all the effort.

I wasn't able to get my ram to boot at 2100mhz 12-12-12 timing, have tried over volting yet but 2100mhz 12cas was a no go, even with 1.335vtt.

I may have more luck with over volting the ram. I doubt I can get those amassing timings but if bump up the dram voltage to 1.65v, I might be able to get my cas down to 8, who knows.

I haven't seen a lot of evidence to support that tighter timings make much of a difference in the real world on this i7s. I know that synthetics designed around exploiting the minor differences do show improvements, but in the real world, its not so clear cut. This made a much larger difference in the days of the FSB. The ram speed does have an impact, but that is pretty small. Especially considering the triple channel set up, it surely isn't starved you know,

From 1400mhz 9-9-9 to 1750mhz 9-9-9, I gained 2-3 fps in dragon age inquisition benchmark. 3%. Gained 3% in cinebnch 11.5.
But other apps had less results. Some absolutely no improvement.

So, 1850mhz to 2000 would be even less, I am sure of that. I got 3% improvement in real world conditions that showed improvement. I think the small gain you get would be offset by having to loosen the timings. My prediction would be a 1% improvement. Just not a lot to waste a lot of time over.

I did a little bit of research on speed versus timings and the benchmarks were largely mixed to the point where no conclusion could be reached. I'm personally going to run the fastest speed I can at the tightest timings possible. My RAM might be capable of reaching 2000 MHz, but I'll probably have to increase CAS to 9 to make it work. I'm currently at 1800 MHz with 7-8-7-20 1T timings. I can run those timings at 1850 MHz, but my overclock gets a little warm before I reach the necessary voltage. I will reseat my heatsink with GC-Extreme this Wednesday and see if I can't hit 4.44 GHz with comfortable temperatures. My RAM wouldn't make it through a single pass without errors in memtest86+ at 1860 MHz with the aforementioned timings. This is one of the reasons I would like to swap out my six 2 GB sticks for three 4 GB or even two 8 GB sticks, but I I don't like the timings I see on a lot of the kits out there.

That's a good idea. Run aida64 yourself at a few different settings and see what gives the best results.

For me, the best results were achieved with the tightest timings I could get at 2000mhz, which was 9-10-9-24 and the uncore at 3800mhz, but I didn't want to run my VTT so high so I dropped it to 3400mhz.
Uncore speeds play a big role in ram speeds.

2200mhz 10-11-10-27 was a bit slower than the above settings.

I wouldn't push your dram voltage past 1.65, any higher and you'll be putting unneeded stress on your cpu. Keep your VTT under 1.35 as well.

Last edited:
That's a good idea. Run aida64 yourself at a few different settings and see what gives the best results.

For me, the best results were achieved with the tightest timings I could get at 2000mhz, which was 9-10-9-24 and the uncore at 3800mhz, but I didn't want to run my VTT so high so I dropped it to 3400mhz.
Uncore speeds play a big role in ram speeds.

2200mhz 10-11-10-27 was a bit slower than the above settings.

I wouldn't push your dram voltage past 1.65, any higher and you'll be putting unneeded stress on your cpu. Keep your VTT under 1.35 as well.

oh yea that would be good advise.....don't burn your cpu/mb up over meaningless gains. Its easy to overlook what we already have until its damaged...enjoy the speed and power but keep it safe:)

The GC-Extreme I ordered came in today and I reseated my heatsink using it and my temperatures are largely unchanged. I have been told 80 to 82 in stress tests is a big high for 4.32 GHz, but that's what I'm at. My temperatures dropped considerably when I installed working fans on the front or rear of my case. I guess my TRUE isn't as good as it was the day I bought it. I guess it's time to seriously consider an AIO cooler. I planned on getting one when I eventually overhauled my entire system.

Is that the temps of your cores? 80-82c is barely any variance. Most of the time, there is about 10c from hottest to coolest. Sometimes more.

What cooler are you using? And the voltages for your overclock?

I would say that as long as your temps are fine in your daily activities, don't worry about it. My closed loop lq320 keeps me just under 70c on my hottest core. Its actually quite close now that I raised my vtt

I really wouldn't worry about those temps if your daily activities have you much lower. It just doesn't matter too much

Bummed a bit here.

Going to be repotting a 1366 system. And had mis-remembered it as a Xeon.
(Actually was at one point but the motherboard couldn't handle ECC memory despite five different RAM transfusions and 3 RMAs.)
Unfortunately it's just a 970

290u77s.jpg

Bummed a bit here.

(Actually was at one point but the motherboard couldn't handle ECC memory despite five different RAM transfusions and 3 RMAs.)
]

I7 970?

Gulftowns 6core? Well come on in. It is still pretty much the same. 6 cores 12threads, 32nm, Same voltages, etc. it is pretty much the same chip with few differences, such as: QPI speeds and slower rated ram speed. But regardless, I bet anything that you can run your ram about as high as the seconds.

I welcome you. We can compare notes....

Btw,
U don't need ecc ram to run a westmereEP. But if you have a 970 there is no reason at all to get one of these Xeons. None at all.

What kind of multipliers do u get with the 970? Is it unlocked? What about your overclock.........you are overclocking, right? What's your speeds and voltages like?

My core temperatures are around 82/81/72/72/81/81 under load, I was only listing the hottest core(s). I have a black TRUE with a 120x38 San Ace spinning at 2500 rpm. I might try lapping my processor, possibly even touching up the base of my heatsink. My temperatures never get above 60 doing everyday activities (web browsing, playing LoL).

I did the memory benchmark in Aida64 at 1600 MHz with 6-7-6-18 timings and 1800 MHz with 7-8-7-20 timings and the later was quite a bit better. My memory couldn't pass memtest86+ at 1850 MHz with those timings and 1.35 VTT. I tried a slightly slower uncore ratio and loosened RTL, but it didn't help. Test 7 always had errors. I also tried making 1720 MHz with 6-7-6-18 timings work and it wasn't happening. I really wish I could find 4 GB sticks with similar timings, even just a tad looser. I'll probably wait until there's a good deal on CAS 8 1866 dual channel kits.

I7 970?

Gulftowns 6core? Well come on in. It is still pretty much the same. 6 cores 12threads, 32nm, Same voltages, etc. it is pretty much the same chip with few differences, such as: QPI speeds and slower rated ram speed. But regardless, I bet anything that you can run your ram about as high as the seconds.

I welcome you. We can compare notes....

Btw,
U don't need ecc ram to run a westmereEP. But if you have a 970 there is no reason at all to get one of these Xeons. None at all.

What kind of multipliers do u get with the 970? Is it unlocked? What about your overclock.........you are overclocking, right? What's your speeds and voltages like?

The machine was previously a whitebox server that was superceded by another machine with more disk space and an actual Xeon 2011 setup.

My bosses are giving me the parts as it's just sitting in the server cabinet taking up space and, as it is, doesn't meet the sound profile my bosses demand for their stuff.

Granted, that could be fixed with some fan substitutions, but I'm not saying no to free hardware. :D

My core temperatures are around 82/81/72/72/81/81 under load, I was only listing the hottest core(s). I have a black TRUE with a 120x38 San Ace spinning at 2500 rpm. I might try lapping my processor, possibly even touching up the base of my heatsink. My temperatures never get above 60 doing everyday activities (web browsing, playing LoL).

I did the memory benchmark in Aida64 at 1600 MHz with 6-7-6-18 timings and 1800 MHz with 7-8-7-20 timings and the later was quite a bit better. My memory couldn't pass memtest86+ at 1850 MHz with those timings and 1.35 VTT. I tried a slightly slower uncore ratio and loosened RTL, but it didn't help. Test 7 always had errors. I also tried making 1720 MHz with 6-7-6-18 timings work and it wasn't happening. I really wish I could find 4 GB sticks with similar timings, even just a tad looser. I'll probably wait until there's a good deal on CAS 8 1866 dual channel kits.

Aida will show improvement in every single change. But that usually doesn't translate into real world gains. These are far and farther between.

Honestly, I think u have great results already. There is not much you will gain from lapping, there is not much too gain in memory,.....heck, your ram is fantastic. You have really great timings and speeds.

You have great results.

Bummed a bit here.

Just a 970? Check out what they sell for on ebay and you won't be saying just. The last 2 that sold were for about $194 and $189. These were bare cpu only. They are worth a lot more than the Xeon cpus right now. I think it's due to the fact that an i7 will work on a lot more boards, and of course they are a lot more scarce.
That's a great cpu and a great deal. Congrats.

Aida will show improvement in every single change. But that usually doesn't translate into real world gains. These are far and farther between.

Honestly, I think u have great results already. There is not much you will gain from lapping, there is not much too gain in memory,.....heck, your ram is fantastic. You have really great timings and speeds.

You have great results.

Memory speeds do give fairly large gains in certain applications, and Aida results will translate to those applications.

Faster ram can also significantly improve minimum framerates in games, although triple channel @ 1600mhz is already quite fast so the gains may not be dramatic. In dual channel the gains are more noticeable when you bump up the ram speeds.

Here's the Aida64 benchmarks I referenced.

1600 6-7-6-18
XPTLWBz.png

1800 7-8-7-20
cRv7TE9.png

I honestly don't know how good these are, I only know the second is obviously better than the first.

Just a 970? Check out what they sell for on ebay and you won't be saying just. The last 2 that sold were for about $194 and $189. These were bare cpu only. They are worth a lot more than the Xeon cpus right now. I think it's due to the fact that an i7 will work on a lot more boards, and of course they are a lot more scarce.

Hmm.

Or just market confusion. I can see people with i7-970s selling them and replacing them with Xeons to earn some easy cash. A Xeon X5675 would be equivalent but most X5660s and X5670s would overclock to the same level. :D

There's a chance that people looking for an i7-970 don't know about Xeons or their compatibility with X58 motherboards. When I was narrowing down my choices, I was trying my best to compare Xeons to their i7 counterpart. All I knew was I didn't want an X5650 because I didn't want to lose a multiplier. I would have gladly settled for an X5660 if that was the best deal I could find, but I gave it a couple weeks until I saw a deal I couldn't pass up. Before I found out about Xeon compatibility, I was questioning whether upgrading to an i7-950 or better. Then I found out hexacore CPUs could be had for $100 or less and it was only a matter of time.

Here's the Aida64 benchmarks I referenced.

1600 6-7-6-18
XPTLWBz.png

1800 7-8-7-20
cRv7TE9.png

I honestly don't know how good these are, I only know the second is obviously better than the first.

Those are great results. If the last one is stable, stick with it and don't look back :D.
At 1800 and those timing you get better results than my setup at 2000mhz 9-10-9-24 with 3600mhz uclk.

My results a few pages back

Yeah, the 4.32 GHz is my 24/7 overclock. I really want to get to 4.44 GHz because my RAM is stable at 1850 MHz with 7-8-7-20 timings, but my core temperatures are too high.

I've got an X5650 on the way that will hopefully arrive before the weekend. I'll be changing from my i7-920 @ 4.0. Going to aim for 4.0ghz minimum, but hopefully I can get 4.4ghz - 4.6ghz 24/7 stable. This will be on an EX58-UD4P.

Hello, relative newbie here.

I recently upgraded (well, last 4 months) to 48GB ECC RAM and a Xeon 5675, and just wondering based off the settings below if there's anything that I should readily change. I do notice restarts and system POSTs take a lot longer with all the memory. I've been reading through the thread but my eyes started to glaze over around pg. 22. I'm going to keep plugging away, but any readily had advice I'd appreciate.
Thanks!
HeI6kB2.jpg

4MrkzLq.jpg

feobtM5.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the 4.32 GHz is my 24/7 overclock. I really want to get to 4.44 GHz because my RAM is stable at 1850 MHz with 7-8-7-20 timings, but my core temperatures are too high.

Going from 4.3 to 4.4 won't make much difference anyway. It's not worth it if temps are unreasonable.

I've got an X5650 on the way that will hopefully arrive before the weekend. I'll be changing from my i7-920 @ 4.0. Going to aim for 4.0ghz minimum, but hopefully I can get 4.4ghz - 4.6ghz 24/7 stable. This will be on an EX58-UD4P.

I hope that's not a rev 1. I don't think it supports x56xx's properly.

What are the issues? I haven't checked, but chances are yes, I do have a Rev 1.0 :(

I saw a cheap one on ebay a while ago so I did a bit of research. Basically it won't post above 150 bclk, some others mentioned they couldn't get past 140.

You might as well give it a try anyway since it is already on the way, but if you have the same issue you'll be stuck at 3ghz or 3.15ghz if you can use that last multi.

I saw a cheap one on ebay a while ago so I did a bit of research. Basically it won't post above 150 bclk, some others mentioned they couldn't get past 140.

You might as well give it a try anyway since it is already on the way, but if you have the same issue you'll be stuck at 3ghz or 3.15ghz if you can use that last multi.

Someone on another forum specifically mentioned to me that if a wall is hit around ~150bclk, then I should lower the uncore clock. I think this was more of a general Gigabyte mobo issue, not sure if it was specific to the EX58-UD4P. The same guy mentioned he had no such issues on Asus boards he tried.

Did you try this in your tests? Since it's already on the way, I'll just have to see how I go. :/

Someone on another forum specifically mentioned to me that if a wall is hit around ~150bclk, then I should lower the uncore clock. I think this was more of a general Gigabyte mobo issue, not sure if it was specific to the EX58-UD4P. The same guy mentioned he had no such issues on Asus boards he tried.

Did you try this in your tests? Since it's already on the way, I'll just have to see how I go. :/

It's worth a try. I didn't test it personally, I ended up skipping on the board after reading the issues others had. Another thing to try (if you hit a wall) is upping the VTT to 1.35 and set all other voltages to the default voltage (not auto) and see if that helps.

Be sure to update us with your results. :cool:

WangChung n00bie, 1.2 Years

Hello, relative newbie here.

I recently upgraded (well, last 4 months) to 48GB ECC RAM and a Xeon 5675, and just wondering based off the settings below if there's anything that I should readily change. I do notice restarts and system POSTs take a lot longer with all the memory. I've been reading through the thread but my eyes started to glaze over around pg. 22. I'm going to keep plugging away, but any readily had advice I'd appreciate.
Thanks!

I think Deimos has your same board and has experience with that amount of ram. I would suggest pm'ing him for the best bios settings. I know there are others here as well with that board but cant remember all there names and some don't list there hardware which makes it hard to tell. You can find his account on the first page to make it easier to pm him

It's worth noting that you don't need ECC RAM for these processors. If you already had the stuff laying around, who am I to stop you from using it?

Unfortunately after testing, this was the case. :(

I tried a bunch of different settings, but as soon as I put the blck over 150 (even just 151), the board wouldn't post.

3.3Ghz is the highest I can get with the EX58-UD4P and the X5650 :(

SefuipA.jpg

To be honest, my PC runs near idle most of the time, however I do game here and there, and I encode my blurays to x264. I'm not sure if it's worth keeping this in, or going back to the i7-920 @ 4.0Ghz. At 3.3Ghz on this CPU, would you expect better encoding performance anyway due to the additional threads/cores? I haven't tested games enough yet, but I'm not sure if I'm going to actually see a FPS drop with this change. I guess one positive is that on idle and load this is running almost 10c cooler than the i7-920 was.

Thoughts?

What voltages are you using for Uncore and CPU PLL? Also is your QPI is in "slow mode" (18x)? If so, try upping it to 36x (5.4 GT/s @ 150 MHz BCLK).

hey everyone, just found this forum and ive been a xeon user for only a couple months but really enjoying the upgrade from an i7 920. I'm currently running a x5650 @ 4ghz 1.35v on a p6t se, so I didnt get the worlds best overclocker since it gets up to 85c on prime 95 at that speed, I'm currently using a 212 evo, but thought id ask if anyone could give me some overclocking advice and if I should care so much about the prime 95 testing.

To be honest, my PC runs near idle most of the time, however I do game here and there, and I encode my blurays to x264. I'm not sure if it's worth keeping this in, or going back to the i7-920 @ 4.0Ghz. At 3.3Ghz on this CPU, would you expect better encoding performance anyway due to the additional threads/cores? I haven't tested games enough yet, but I'm not sure if I'm going to actually see a FPS drop with this change. I guess one positive is that on idle and load this is running almost 10c cooler than the i7-920 was.
Thoughts?
Your would still encode movies and what not faster do to the extra cores, but gaming fps would be some drop depending on the game and what video card your using. Its not the first time i heard of a gigabyte board being difficult to overclock xeon hexacore's. If memory serves me its just a setting in the bios that needs to be a bit different compared to your guad core you been overclocking all these years, but it will take a bit of trial an error figuring it out.

jforce321 n00bie, 1 Day

hey everyone, just found this forum and ive been a xeon user for only a couple months but really enjoying the upgrade from an i7 920. I'm currently running a x5650 @ 4ghz 1.35v on a p6t se, so I didnt get the worlds best overclocker since it gets up to 85c on prime 95 at that speed, I'm currently using a 212 evo, but thought id ask if anyone could give me some overclocking advice and if I should care so much about the prime 95 testing.
If your stable i wouldn't worry to much really as that temp sounds about right for that cooler and sounds like your already at best speed for that mb

Last edited:
Unfortunately after testing, this was the case. :(

I tried a bunch of different settings, but as soon as I put the blck over 150 (even just 151), the board wouldn't post.

3.3Ghz is the highest I can get with the EX58-UD4P and the X5650 :(

Thoughts?
That's too bad.. :/

If you've exhausted all of your options it may be worth looking for a compatible board and selling your board. You should be able to get about $100 for it. I saw a few compatible boards go for around the same price. Just watch out for earlier EVGA boards as many of them aren't compatible.

Back