1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

I'm reading around and it looks like it might be a little tricky getting my ram to run at the full 2400mhz, it'll need at least 200mhz BLCK at 2:12.. Guess I'll need a good board and a bit of luck for that.

I'm reading around and it looks like it might be a little tricky getting my ram to run at the full 2400mhz, it'll need at least 200mhz BLCK at 2:12.. Guess I'll need a good board and a bit of luck for that.

You don't really need to run your RAM that fast on X58 when you run in triple-channel configuration, since the RAM bandwidth with appropriate timings in triple channel @ 1.6GHz is the same as the memory bandwidth in dual-channel @ 2.4GHz. The third RAM channel gives you extra 50% of memory bandwidth, so you can cut down on memory speed to the same degree and still not lose the performance.

You don't really need to run your RAM that fast on X58 when you run in triple-channel configuration, since the RAM bandwidth with appropriate timings in triple channel @ 1.6GHz is the same as the memory bandwidth in dual-channel @ 2.4GHz. The third RAM channel gives you extra 50% of memory bandwidth, so you can cut down on memory speed to the same degree and still not lose the performance.

Oh ok, that makes sense. I'll see how far I cat get them.

Got a EVGA x58 Classified 4WAY for cheap. I hope I can fit my Noctua NH-U14S on it. :)

Edit: Looks like it is actually a EVGA X58 Classified (3way) rev 1.0.. Error in the listing, but I should have noticed from the photos. I doubt Westmere will work properly unless it has been modded to support it. I'll probably just re-sell it.
Edit2: It looks like the W3670 would work as it is doesn't have the extra QPI, which causes issues with the Classified (pre rev 1.1). The downside is that it costs 2-3x as much as the x5650, bringing it pretty close to the 970 price range. Another option is to just do the HW mod myself and grab a W3520 ($10) for testing beforehand. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:
Who the hell buy's Xeon to overclock anyway? These processor's are expensive, designed for servers, and not intended for overclocking. Who the hell even has the money to blow on these processors to even do such a wasteful thing?

There is no hope for people like you.

Oh ok, that makes sense. I'll see how far I cat get them.

Got a EVGA x58 Classified 4WAY for cheap. I hope I can fit my Noctua NH-U14S on it. :)

Edit: Looks like it is actually a EVGA X58 Classified (3way) rev 1.0.. Error in the listing, but I should have noticed from the photos. I doubt Westmere will work properly unless it has been modded to support it. I'll probably just re-sell it.
Edit2: It looks like the W3670 would work as it is doesn't have the extra QPI, which causes issues with the Classified (pre rev 1.1). The downside is that it costs 2-3x as much as the x5650, bringing it pretty close to the 970 price range. Another option is to just do the HW mod myself and grab a W3520 ($10) for testing beforehand. Decisions, decisions...

if you happen to find the info on the modding guide post it here and it will help others with that same board as well. I can also edit it into the first post as so people needing the info can find it easier. But ill leave that up to you;)

one thing is for sure, i don't appear to be bottle necked by older sata controllers
as-ssd-bench%20Samsung%20SSD%20840%20%201.27.2015%2012-06-20%20AM_zps5ujesvfn.png
[/URL][/IMG]
as-ssd-bench%20Samsung%20SSD%20840%20%201.27.2015%2012-06-32%20AM_zpstwcgoj7m.png
[/URL][/IMG]

course magician doesn't hurt it seems either

if you happen to find the info on the modding guide post it here and it will help others with that same board as well. I can also edit it into the first post as so people needing the info can find it easier. But ill leave that up to you;)

I agree, it took me a lot of searching and many dead links to find this info for E760, I believe same mod for E759 as well:
http://forums.evga.com/x58-classified-E760-memory-problem-and-westmere-modding-m2211553.aspx

Here's mod for my E758, the original x58 eVGA mobo:
http://forums.evga.com/132BLE758A1-Rev-10-Westmere-Mod-m2153248.aspx

one thing is for sure, i don't appear to be bottle necked by older sata controllers
as-ssd-bench%20Samsung%20SSD%20840%20%201.27.2015%2012-06-20%20AM_zps5ujesvfn.png
[/URL][/IMG]
as-ssd-bench%20Samsung%20SSD%20840%20%201.27.2015%2012-06-32%20AM_zpstwcgoj7m.png
[/URL][/IMG]

course magician doesn't hurt it seems either

This is rapid mode. It uses a ram cache for your ssd.

Capture_zpstw1hz48b.png
[/URL][/IMG]
Capture2_zpsdmmbc87k.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Guys don't forget to run stress tests every month or so...better safe than sorry and end up with data corruption:D. Nice to know its stable as it gets.
Also for those who are running the much higher clocks it would be impressive to me to see your screenshots of them passing these tests (with the same settings) and would remove any doubt there only benchmark stable. Those running 4.4 - 4.6ghz (or higher), show us all there really stable:D

Last edited:
This is rapid mode. It uses a ram cache for your ssd.
I know but even still im pretty impressed and believe it or not it seems to help in real world copying from my WD Raid 0 and back an forth. As long as my spinners have worked, im glad i paid extra for the enterprise models. Course they now have single spinners that match or beat there speed but they only last a year before they fail if your lucky:(

Well guys, I gave it a go, updated my P6T Deluxe V2 BIOS as suggested, and I still get nothing. Tried a single stick of RAM in all six slots, nothing. Pop my 950 back in, rock solid. Since I know that an x5670 will run on these boards, and since I get <1 second of power before it shuts down, I think I'm going to call this a dead processor and return it while I can still get my money back... Maybe next time!

Well my EVGA Classified X58 board came with 12gb of OCZ Platinum ram (2 sticks dead), i7 930 and an 5850, going to be a secondary spare gaming rig, I see alot of X5650/60 on ebay for about less then $100 shipped worldwide, good deal?

Well guys, I gave it a go, updated my P6T Deluxe V2 BIOS as suggested, and I still get nothing. Tried a single stick of RAM in all six slots, nothing. Pop my 950 back in, rock solid. Since I know that an x5670 will run on these boards, and since I get <1 second of power before it shuts down, I think I'm going to call this a dead processor and return it while I can still get my money back... Maybe next time!
Guess you somehow got a bad one someone overvolted and returned. first case i have heard off, but no doubt im sure its going on

What bios version did you update to and which method just out of curiosity?(just trying to doublecheck yea;)) post a cpuz of the mb an bios if ya get a chance

Last edited:

Here is the modding guide:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1461359/official-xeon-x5660-x58-review-discussion-and-xeon-l5639-benchmarks-inside/290#post_21897471

I contacted the poster to make sure it is still stable, etc. Haven't gotten a response yet.

Here is the list of boards that don't need a mod: http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/1764767

E757 - rev 1.1
E758 - rev 1.2
E760 - rev 1.1
E762 - rev 1.1
E767 - all
E768 - all

I believe the E770 is supported out of the box.

I grabbed a W3520 ($10) for testing before I mod it and a Noctua NM-I3 for my Noctua. I really doubt I can mount my NH-U14S vertically as it'll almost certainly interfere with the chipset heatsink. Horizontally, it will almost definitely cover at least two ram slots and my ram probably won't clear. It should be good enough for testing.

If everything works out, maybe I'll sell my current ram and get some lower profile, lower latency, lower clockspeed ram.

Guess you somehow got a bad one someone overvolted and returned. first case i have heard off, but no doubt im sure its going on

What bios version did you update to and which method just out of curiosity?(just trying to doublecheck yea;)) post a cpuz of the mb an bios if ya get a chance

Sure - the board had the 1108 BIOS when I bought it here on the forums, and I upgraded to the 1202 based on the recommendations in this thread - it's the newest on the ASUS website. I reset the BIOS to default settings, then used the EZ Flash utility in the BIOS and flashed from a USB stick. Here are the CPU-Z screenshots of what I'm running right now:

cpu-z1_zps5925fdad.jpg

cpu-z2_zpsb072f206.jpg

cpu-z3_zpsb0ee1281.jpg

Let me know if you have any more questions - this seller has a 30 day return policy, and is actually 10 miles away, so I can go drop it off in person if need be. I'd obviously LOVE to find out that my problem it that I'm an idiot rather than receiving a DOA chip! :D

Unfortunately, work and home have both had me swamped, so getting there during business hours hasn't been possible this week. And I think this may have been the only x5670 he had - it's a computer recycling firm...

Unfortunately, work and home have both had me swamped, so getting there during business hours hasn't been possible this week. And I think this may have been the only x5670 he had - it's a computer recycling firm...

from your screenshots it looks like you have the correct bios so i be thinking bad cpu...at least there close by

The Classified ended up being damaged (caps broken/missing on the bottom), I didn't even bother testing it as I didn't want to fry anything. The seller assured me that the I/O shield was included in the package. But it wasn't in the photo, nor was it included of course. :eek: I sent it back, I'm sure it'll draw out for a while... Ebay drama. :rolleyes:

Got a good deal on a P6T Deluxe V2, which should work with the x5650. Hope it works out this time. :p

I'm about to try on a Gigabyte GA-EX58-extreme (same as UD5) and based on most research online sure work. I'll report back

Any Chance it would work on my board? The Xeon that is.
I know the X5550 works fine on my GA-EX58-UD3R and even my TBGM-01. You just lose the dynamic downclocking.

With that said, I just ordered an X5675 for my wife's X58A-UD5, same board as yours. Got it from eBay for $115.99. Great deal for a i7 hexacore. I don't expect any issue.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I know the X5550 works fine on my GA-EX58-UD3R and even my TBGM-01. You just lose the dynamic downclocking.

With that said, I just ordered an X5675 for my wife's X58A-UD5, same board as yours. Got it from eBay for $115.99. Great deal for a i7 hexacore. I don't expect any issue.

Fucking nice!!!! That's an awesome price and should be a blast to play with:D

Yea I'd say Gigabyte support is impressive, still putting out BIOS updates in 2012 for a board from 2008. They even made me a custom build to add VT-d functionality to run ESXi

Tbgn, is that a gateway motherboard?

You have a westmere in both of those motherboards? And now one coming for your wife's PC?

What's dynamic down clocking? My ud3r downclocks no problem.

Fucking nice!!!! That's an awesome price and should be a blast to play with:D
It's going into my wife's rig so I probably won't spend too much time tinkering with it, maybe just some mild overclocking. Currently, it's using a Noctua NH-D14 that I will probably keep in there. Not sure how well overclocking will go since I have 6 x 2GB DDR-1600 in there and changing to bigger sticks would be nice but the prices are stupidly high.

Also while I'm at it, I'll be putting in a Powercolor R9 290 with a Kraken G10, Corsair H55, RAM sinks and Gelid VRM cooler.

Tbgn, is that a gateway motherboard?

You have a westmere in both of those motherboards? And now one coming for your wife's PC?

What's dynamic down clocking? My ud3r downclocks no problem.
Yes, the TBGM-01 is a Gateway motherboard. I tested the X5550 on it before popping it into the GA-EX58-UD3R to run my server. I've never seen the X5550 downclock on its own when idle but then again, didn't tinker much with the BIOS.

The new X5675 is coming and will be put into my wife's PC with an X58A-UD5.

Any Chance it would work on my board? The Xeon that is.

You should be fine.

I noticed Primetime quoted my posts a lot. :p

I went from an EX58-UD4P which gave me tons of fits with it and maxed it at 3.3 GHz to a X58A-UD3R. Been running like a champ at 4.4 GHz. :)

Yes, the TBGM-01 is a Gateway motherboard. I tested the X5550 on it before popping it into the GA-EX58-UD3R to run my server. I've never seen the X5550 downclock on its own when idle but then again, didn't tinker much with the BIOS.

The new X5675 is coming and will be put into my wife's PC with an X58A-UD5.

You have to enable speedstep and the other power savings features in the bios if you want to use them. Leaving them set to "auto" usually ends up automatically turning them off while overclocking. You really don't have to be overclocked anymore, just tinkering with the multipliers and clocks can trigger the motherboard to automatically turn off those features.

If you know you want to use them, turn them on in the bios, don't use the auto setting.

I have speed step and all my c states turned on while overclocked to 4.2ghz and turbo up to 4.4ghz single core loads. I also use gigabytes dynamic voltage by setting the vcore to normal and my offset to +.099
This gives my x5670 the ability to not only run at reduced clocks when there is no real load as well as reduced voltage. Most of the time my CPU is running at 2.2ghz at .999v. It's this way browsing the net or using office. But it jumps up to 4.4ghz (1.3v) from time to time when needed. Then if there is a real load that takes several cores, like gaming, its 4.2ghz locked with 1.28v.

Using these features are nice in my opinion. But it's not all that important, just features I find neat. It takes extra time to make sure its fully stable, its fairly easy to do with mild overclocks. It's great if your still in Your chips sweet spot. I haven't been able to run my chip like that overclocked just 200mhz higher but I have no problem running 4.4 ghz locked

So you got a 5650 in your PC but. Getting your wife a x5675? And your not gonna play around with it? I love my 5670 so much I find myself wanting to buy another motherboard just so I can justify buying another chip. The x5675 sounds like what I would buy

Would there be any reason to get a x5660/5670/5675 over the x5650 considering the price difference?

I wonder with my current cooling if I'd even be able to take advantage of the higher multis assuming I can get the bclk up to a reasonable speed.

Got a good deal on a P6T Deluxe V2, which should work with the x5650. Hope it works out this time. :p

You and me both - I finally today managed to swap out my fried 5670 for a good one - they decided to test the old chip to verify my claim, and it didn't work for them the same as it didn't work for me - so in return, I made them fire up the new one as proof... These steller testers have a barebones system on a rack for testing, and to show it worked, they put the CPU in the socket, then set a random 120mm heatsink/fan on top of the chip - no paste, no tightening it - and fired it up all the way to Windows. I guess in theory it shouldn't hurt chips from heat for such a short duration, but I'm now a lot less surprised my chip was DOA watching these guys work!

So tomorrow I'm going to try for the third time to drop a 5670 in my P6T Deluxe v2. We'll have to compare notes!

Would there be any reason to get a x5660/5670/5675 over the x5650 considering the price difference?

I wonder with my current cooling if I'd even be able to take advantage of the higher multis assuming I can get the bclk up to a reasonable speed.

What motherboard are you using? Is it for the system in your sig? It has to be socket 1366, which you probably already know but I ask just in case.

As for which westmereEP.

The reason I got an x5670 was because I didn't want to push my motherboard very hard to get the clock speed I wanted. Almost all these chips can hit 4ghz and beyond but the lower the multiplier, the higher you have to push up the blck. The higher you push up the blck, the more voltages you have to tweak.

So really it just depends on what you want to do. I wanted the least strain on my 6yr old motherboard. I have a 4.2ghz-4.4ghz turbo over clock with a blck of merely 175. This allows my vtt to be 1.225v. Heck, I only got it there for extra stability, not because I needed it. I also have all my power savings features and dynamic voltage which allows me a range of .99v to 1.3v when turbo for single core apps. So, the only voltage changes from stock is a tiny bump of vtt and a +0.999 vcore offset. Everything else is set to normal.

I believe that all these chips end up pretty close somewhere around 4.5ghz, give or take a few hundred MHz. Most will boot and be similar stable over 4.6ghz but full stability is usually 4.5ghz and under. The most I stabilized was 4.6ghz but the voltages but the voltages and settings are not what I want to be running. My fear is degeneration. My chip is so happy to run 4.2ghz with 4.4 turbo, that's the edge of my chips sweet spot. I mist be able to get 4.3 ghz 4.4 turbo with better ram, Idk. Don't really care anyway. My PC is plenty fast enough like it is.

Cool, quiet, and 100% stable.

You just have to decide what you want to do. The lower the multiplier, the higher the blck. Can your motherboard handle high blck speeds? I personally would not buy anything less than an x5660. But there are many who argue that your wasting money cause these chips all end up around 4-4.5ghz fully stable. My feeling is, yeah but how much strain are you putting on your aged 1366 motherboards? Just read this thread and you will see quite a few people have had motherboard issues. These boards aren't gonna last forever and while I can't say that any of these blown/damaged boards are a result of overclocking, surely its not hard to imagine that overclocking is added strain. I think most people can agree with that.

So that's why I went with an x5670. Cause I wanted a daily over 4ghz 24/7 overclock with the least strain on my board. This doesn't mean my motherboard will last any longer than if I bought a 5650 and ran 220blck but it gave me a little more peace of mind. At the same time, I still didn't buy the chip with the highest multiplier. And this is because there was a limit to what I was willing to pay. I got this x5670 for 109$. I didn't want to drop much more money in such an old platform. So you have to decide what you want and what your willing to spend.

Buying this chip has given my old system legs carry me even further. I mostly use my computer for gaming. My kids play all day on it watching YouTube and playing their games. It was important to for me to have a set it and forget it overclock. Honestly 90% of the time there is no big load on it, so having the power savings features on really was important to me. Most of the time its running downclocked to x12 or x18 multiplier. YouTube and browsing don't push the CPU to higher performance states. I got exactly the results I wanted and have exceeded my expectations. But it all depends on what you want to get out of your system.

This CPU gave my PC new life and I can blaze on thru and skip haswel leith little sacrifice. I am playing all the modern games like Unity and inquisition not only without issue but at frame rates that mirror haswell when i compare benchmarks. My system with a gtx980 is able to turn out great frame rates and great performance.

Haswell does have stronger single core performance, stronger IPC. But a westmereEP overclocked over 4ghz is able to keep up with the haswel quads and that's really amassing considering how old the x58 platform is

Just wanted to say thanks to yall. I have a Gigabyte X58A-UD7 rev 2 and so far its worked like a champ. I previously had my I7 930 overclocked with a 180 bclk and didnt change anything and this chip ( X5670 ) started right up. I want to see if I can lower the voltage a little more but my clock is 3.96 GHz and so far so good with games. Im on water but my max temp so far is 40 deg C. The room is between 23 and 25 degrees C.

Hi all!

Few days ago I bought a X5670 and installed it on a Rampage III Formula motherboard.

Few hours later it was clocked at 4400 mhz, 1.336v (bclk 200x22). I'm still amazed how easy it was... super cpu. Shattered all my expectations.

It is watercooled (2 radiators, 4 (four) corsair SP120 performance edition fans, push pull, custom setup), IBT temperatures never go beyond 62 degrees... cpu is cool and more than cool... I would feel confortable if it reached 80º.

I've tested it at 4800mhz (200*24), temperatures remain more than acceptable (around 70, as far as I recall, it was still cool), but I had to push the voltage to 1.47v.

Passed IBT standard test with those settings easily, prime95 was not tested, therefore I can't tell if it was "really" stable (24/7). I feel I would have to go beyond 1.47 to make it stable.

Is voltage range acceptable? 1.45, 1.55? Is there anyone running one of these 24/7 at those voltages?

I'm seeking a 24/7 overclock, not benchmarking... This is a gaming computer (got another one for work purposes) therefore speed matters.

What is the absolute "safe" voltage for the 56XX series?

Regards

I would not run mine past 1.35 for a safe 24/7 voltage.
1.35 is for CPU and uncore voltage. I've seen posts of people running higher and now their CPU is degraded and they have to keep lowering their o/c.
1.47 is way way over Intel spec.

What motherboard are you using? Is it for the system in your sig? It has to be socket 1366, which you probably already know but I ask just in case.

As for which westmereEP.

The reason I got an x5670 was because I didn't want to push my motherboard very hard to get the clock speed I wanted. Almost all these chips can hit 4ghz and beyond but the lower the multiplier, the higher you have to push up the blck. The higher you push up the blck, the more voltages you have to tweak.

So really it just depends on what you want to do. I wanted the least strain on my 6yr old motherboard. I have a 4.2ghz-4.4ghz turbo over clock with a blck of merely 175. This allows my vtt to be 1.225v. Heck, I only got it there for extra stability, not because I needed it. I also have all my power savings features and dynamic voltage which allows me a range of .99v to 1.3v when turbo for single core apps. So, the only voltage changes from stock is a tiny bump of vtt and a +0.999 vcore offset. Everything else is set to normal.

I believe that all these chips end up pretty close somewhere around 4.5ghz, give or take a few hundred MHz. Most will boot and be similar stable over 4.6ghz but full stability is usually 4.5ghz and under. The most I stabilized was 4.6ghz but the voltages but the voltages and settings are not what I want to be running. My fear is degeneration. My chip is so happy to run 4.2ghz with 4.4 turbo, that's the edge of my chips sweet spot. I mist be able to get 4.3 ghz 4.4 turbo with better ram, Idk. Don't really care anyway. My PC is plenty fast enough like it is.

Cool, quiet, and 100% stable.

You just have to decide what you want to do. The lower the multiplier, the higher the blck. Can your motherboard handle high blck speeds? I personally would not buy anything less than an x5660. But there are many who argue that your wasting money cause these chips all end up around 4-4.5ghz fully stable. My feeling is, yeah but how much strain are you putting on your aged 1366 motherboards? Just read this thread and you will see quite a few people have had motherboard issues. These boards aren't gonna last forever and while I can't say that any of these blown/damaged boards are a result of overclocking, surely its not hard to imagine that overclocking is added strain. I think most people can agree with that.

So that's why I went with an x5670. Cause I wanted a daily over 4ghz 24/7 overclock with the least strain on my board. This doesn't mean my motherboard will last any longer than if I bought a 5650 and ran 220blck but it gave me a little more peace of mind. At the same time, I still didn't buy the chip with the highest multiplier. And this is because there was a limit to what I was willing to pay. I got this x5670 for 109$. I didn't want to drop much more money in such an old platform. So you have to decide what you want and what your willing to spend.

Buying this chip has given my old system legs carry me even further. I mostly use my computer for gaming. My kids play all day on it watching YouTube and playing their games. It was important to for me to have a set it and forget it overclock. Honestly 90% of the time there is no big load on it, so having the power savings features on really was important to me. Most of the time its running downclocked to x12 or x18 multiplier. YouTube and browsing don't push the CPU to higher performance states. I got exactly the results I wanted and have exceeded my expectations. But it all depends on what you want to get out of your system.

This CPU gave my PC new life and I can blaze on thru and skip haswel leith little sacrifice. I am playing all the modern games like Unity and inquisition not only without issue but at frame rates that mirror haswell when i compare benchmarks. My system with a gtx980 is able to turn out great frame rates and great performance.

Haswell does have stronger single core performance, stronger IPC. But a westmereEP overclocked over 4ghz is able to keep up with the haswel quads and that's really amassing considering how old the x58 platform is

Yeah, I have a P6T Deluxe on the way. I'm hoping I can get at least 200 bclk so I can get my ram up to speed, I know it's not really "needed", but I'd like to take advantage of that 2400mhz ram as much as possible, and quicker ram in my experience helps with minimum fps in games. I will be adding active cooling to the chipset heatsink as I know that particular board gets a little toasty.

If I can get 4.5ghz I'd be very happy. I'll probably end up with a x5675 just because of the extra headroom. :cool:

On another note, does anyone know if the batch/stepping has any affect on overclocking for these xeons? I went through a few 860's to get one that clocked well and it ended up being a week 16 while the others were 25-40 and didn't come close to the same speeds without extreme voltages.

Last edited:
Back