1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Anyone notice if their USB 3.0 chips degrades when the system is overclocked? On my R3E I can't get normal USB 3 speeds when overclocked, but if I drop the bios to defaults then my USB 3.0 flash drives scream above advertised speeds. If I overclock the system, usually 200x20 then both my USB 3.0 ports turn into USB 2.0 speeds.

What could cause that? My R3E uses the NEC 720200 chip.

My Ventura Pro
Default settings = 131 MB/s seq reads / 85 MB/s seq writes
Overclocked settings = 34.40 MB/s seq reads / 28 MB/s seq writes

I tested for 6 hours today, different drivers etc, and no matter what I set voltages to it stays exactly the same result. Any ideas?

i have to use a usb3 ad in card so no problems here...aside from not being able to use the usb3 for new installs...but thats the way it goes:)

Yeah I know that, the thing is that article has all the information and downloads needed in one place.

Yeah but the other site also has a Guide with everything in one place. You should at the very least run v11.2 or higher as tests have shown. I can't remember the number now as its been a long time but I think its v11.2.0.1527. OK, yeah that is the proper version that should be ran as it has the highest performance score of any of them.

My RAID OROM is version 13.5.0.2118 which is Intels latest, built in late 2014 and it runs fantastic. I would like to keep mine updated unless there is a really good reason to downgrade that far back. Just for SSD and OS compatibility reasons as performance hasn't dropped much since 11.2, not for me anyway, but stability has increased drastically which is important to me.

Nice Guide though.

i have to use a usb3 ad in card so no problems here...aside from not being able to use the usb3 for new installs...but thats the way it goes:)

So no idea what I need to adjust in the BIOS to get back USB 3 speeds?

I just ran Prime95 for about 4hrs on a speed of 21x191mhz. So I hit 4ghz on my x5660.

Here's the setup.

x5660
Corsair H60
EVGA 758-A1 mobo
12GB of Corsair Dominator 1600mhz
Seasonic X- 750W PSU
In a Define R4 case.

Pretty happy. Not sure if im going to try and aim for higher. It was tough getting 191mhz believe it or not. I know most are hitting 200mhz+ but I just couldnt do it.

I just ran Prime95 for about 4hrs on a speed of 21x191mhz. So I hit 4ghz on my x5660.

Here's the setup.

x5660
Corsair H60
EVGA 758-A1 mobo
12GB of Corsair Dominator 1600mhz
Seasonic X- 750W PSU
In a Define R4 case.

Pretty happy. Not sure if im going to try and aim for higher. It was tough getting 191mhz believe it or not. I know most are hitting 200mhz+ but I just couldnt do it.

Make sure you are dropping your uncore and QPI speeds, if you are still having trouble try bumping the QPI volts up a tiny bit.

Yeah but the other site also has a Guide with everything in one place. You should at the very least run v11.2 or higher as tests have shown. I can't remember the number now as its been a long time but I think its v11.2.0.1527. OK, yeah that is the proper version that should be ran as it has the highest performance score of any of them.

My RAID OROM is version 13.5.0.2118 which is Intels latest, built in late 2014 and it runs fantastic. I would like to keep mine updated unless there is a really good reason to downgrade that far back. Just for SSD and OS compatibility reasons as performance hasn't dropped much since 11.2, not for me anyway, but stability has increased drastically which is important to me.

Nice Guide though.

You can find pre-modded bioses with updated Intel RAID firmware (check page one of this thread for some links), I have TRIM on my R3E and P6X58-D Premium with minimal effort.

Make sure you are dropping your uncore and QPI speeds, if you are still having trouble try bumping the QPI volts up a tiny bit.

Unfortunately, I couldnt get past 5hrs of Prime95. The system restarted by itself and got hung on the Bios screen

What are the safe ranges for QPI, IOH, ICH, CPU PLL ?

Unfortunately, I couldnt get past 5hrs of Prime95. The system restarted by itself and got hung on the Bios screen

What are the safe ranges for QPI, IOH, ICH, CPU PLL ?

vCore: 1.45v
CPU PLL: 1.9v
QPI/UCLK/Vtt: 1.35v
vDDR: 1.65v (Possibly QPI+0.5v)
IOH/ICH: 1.25v
PCI-E: 1.51v

That's all there really is to it.
Here's the datasheet again:
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...heet-vol-1.pdf (per Zoson) hope this helps;) this info is also listed on the very first page lol

stop code 101 = give more vcore
stop code 124 = give more qpi

at bclk >180, if your board supports it, you might find better stability with reduced CPU PLL. Some boards allow CPU PLL down to 1.2v.

My 990x was significantly more stable at high BCLK with 1.35v PLL than 1.8v PLL or 1.9v PLL. Keep in mind this is one of those 'unique voltages' per chip, so you really have to trial and error until you find your best voltage here.

Telling you right now if you wanna fry shit, better keep QPI as low as you can....PLL bumped a little etc

pretty sure my Xeon W3520/Bloomfield smoked itself because I did push it a little too high on QPI

Intel spec of 1.35v QPI must be for a reason....toward the end I wa pushing it pretty high on everything Vcore 1.4v+ PLL 1.9-1.98v and QPI 1.4-1.45v.....I think it killed it haha

sucker is dead, did briefly run it for awhile at 4.4/4.5ghz 1.4-1.5v vcore....it died no boot/no bios...

Then again I don't know.... it was running weird kinda hitching/sluggish and weird core usage etc....

Last edited:
QPI voltage too high was the #1 cause of death in 32nm first gen i7's for overclockers. The reason is because they existed side by side with 45nm first gen i7's, and the 45nm first gen i7's could handle more qpi voltage... a lot more.

I ran several 45nm chips at >1.5v QPI to get my 3x4GB memory kit running at its rated 2GHz. None of them died or ever had an issue.

CPU PLL resulted in a slow death up until 2.15v. Where that would basically instantly kill your CPU. Below 2v I think it was ~6 months.

maybe the high PLL killed it then? did for awhile run it close to 2v haha, also ran the the qpi really high briefly 1.5v this wasn't that long ago might of finished it off haha

I'm beginning to think I have a bad x5660.

It was showing just 4 cores on my Intel x58SO board and now I have an EVGA x58 SLI (758) and it still shows 4 cores!! The board has the latest BIOS too.

What do you guys think?

Did you have to update the bios or anything to run your zeon on the DX5SO motherboard?

My old Gigabyte UD4P just died wont post anymore so looking for a cheap replacement. There seems to be a lot of DX5SOs on ebay for decent prices, but not alot of information on if it works well with with zeon or what is involved in getting them to work.

Did you have to update the bios or anything to run your zeon on the DX5SO motherboard?

My old Gigabyte UD4P just died wont post anymore so looking for a cheap replacement. There seems to be a lot of DX5SOs on ebay for decent prices, but not alot of information on if it works well with with zeon or what is involved in getting them to work.

Try to keep up! He already figured out it was the windows setting in MSCONFIG.

Saw that but wondered if he had to do any thing with the bios or if it recognized it right out of the box.

I have mine for sale here.

And yes, just changed a setting in Windows.

Oh boy, finally pulled the trigger cause I'm a cheap S.O.B.

Dude wanted $65 USD + Shipping, I saw he was in Toronto and I just happened to have a friend that lives 10 min walk from where seller works. Offered $65 Cdn($55 USD) cash and my buddy picked it up and is coming to visit for Xmas anyway.

Can't wait for this weekend! Hoping to hit at least 4.0

Hi all, thanks for confirming that my Asus P6T (base model) is compatible the Xeon X5650 CPU. I have now ordered the CPU from the internet and await delivery.

Can anyone with a setup similar to mine advise on what bios settings are required to achieve a moderate overclock of around 3.8 to 4ghz? I.e. BLCK, CPU voltage. I have been searching the internet trying to find a good guide without much luck.

Thanks

Hi all, thanks for confirming that my Asus P6T (base model) is compatible the Xeon X5650 CPU. I have now ordered the CPU from the internet and await delivery.

Can anyone with a setup similar to mine advise on what bios settings are required to achieve a moderate overclock of around 3.8 to 4ghz? I.e. BLCK, CPU voltage. I have been searching the internet trying to find a good guide without much luck.

Thanks

well you need to boost some voltages

vCore: 1.35
CPU PLL: 1.9v (start as low as possible and work your way up on this one since 1.9 dont help all people, heck some actually do better lower than deault) (credit Deimos and zoson)
QPI/UCLK/Vtt: 1.35v (max safe but helps)
vDDR: 1.65v or 1.66 depending if it has a 1.65 setting and it matches your ram

Your multi will be much lower than some of us so i would shoot for 200 blck at max multi (20 i think) allowed and run your ram at rated speed or below just to remove any problems from that area...should get 4ghz with out to much fuss (i run 191x22 but that won't be possible on that chip sorry)
Might want to start of be turning off all power saving, speed step, spread spectrum stuff...get it stable first and you can see if it holds up with cstates, speedstep and or turbo and what not. let us know if you need further assistance

Thanks

So the best I've been able to do with my vanilla P6T and X5650 is 4.22Ghz with the following settings:

CPU Ratio - 20x

It will go up to 22x, but will always throttle down to 20x under load, a known issue with these boards.

BCLK - 211

210 works as well, but 200 causes a lot of Blue screens. I've also had good luck with 180 and 190, and you can play around to see what works.

CPU Voltage - 1.38

This can be set down at Auto or 1.35 for lower clocks, but for stability at 4.22 I had to bump up to 1.38

CPU/PLL - 1.8/1.9 (or Auto)

The lowest it will go is 1.8, which is a bummer because a lot of people have reported better stability at lower voltages.

Everything else I'm able to leave on Auto and still see good results. Like Primetime you many need to manually lock in your QPI/UCLK/Vtt to 1.35V just to make sure it doesn't go any higher, and you may need to bump up your ram voltage to the right level depending on what sticks you're using. I have Speedstep enabled, but the C states disabled. Everything else I can leave enabled.

My temps under full load are right around ~55degC with an H100i water cooler.

Good luck with the OC, and I'll post if I'm able to find any other stable setting for my setup.

So I got my X5650 last night and immediately dove in.

My first boot so far @ 4Ghz is stable after 15 hours of IBT.

Temps capped out at 73c during IBT which I think is acceptable for now.

Ratio 20x BLCK 200 CPU Voltage 1.35 Cpu/PLL 1.84 Ram 1.64v @1600 9.9.9.24

I'm extremely impressed so far. BF4 runs so much better and now I can handle Ultra settings with avg 100Fps/100hz. I'm going to run more tests overnight but I think I maybe happy here for now. Once I know it's stable in all my games and tests I'll attempt 4.2+. Best $65 ever.

So I got my X5650 last night and immediately dove in.

My first boot so far @ 4Ghz is stable after 15 hours of IBT.

Temps capped out at 73c during IBT which I think is acceptable for now.

Ratio 20x BLCK 200 CPU Voltage 1.35 Cpu/PLL 1.84 Ram 1.64v @1600 9.9.9.24

I'm extremely impressed so far. BF4 runs so much better and now I can handle Ultra settings with avg 100Fps/100hz. I'm going to run more tests overnight but I think I maybe happy here for now. Once I know it's stable in all my games and tests I'll attempt 4.2+. Best $65 ever.

Awesome man, glad to hear it..If you are stable in IBT and BF4 then you should be good to go. As far as the temperatures go, 73C under load is beyond acceptable..You could run these chips @ 95C 24/7 and they would be just fine..Of course lower is better, as it reduces heat and also power draw by quite a bit..

Thanks guys

What is the safest max temperature that you would want these Xeon processors to run at under full load in Prime 95?

Last edited:
Thanks guys

What is the safest max temperature that you would want these Xeon processors to run at under full load in Prime 95?

in my experience they tend to loose stability anything over 80 while overclocked......mid 70s is about high as you want to be

in my experience they tend to loose stability anything over 80 while overclocked......mid 70s is about high as you want to be

I've seen 90+ overclocked during IBT which was stable and have had a CPU throttle at 95 due to a badly seated waterblock and it didn't crash.

I'd be aiming for 10C less than the throttling temp, that way you have a bit of headroom during unexpectedly high demand.

Truth be told, I would run my chip all the way up to 100C and it didn't seem to make a difference.
21C Ambient, 90C highest core: 4.8GHz + 3.8GHz Uncore at 1.5v

26C Ambient, 98C highest core: 4.6GHz + 4GHz Uncore at 1.48v

Also shows how much a higher ambient can affect your temps and limit your overclock.

Sorry but this thread is way to big to read. But I'm reading multiple threads on this. I currently have a i7 930 (D0 stepping). Will a xeon hexacore benefit me? I do not OC because I've never done it before so the 930 is at stock speed. Should I OC my current CPU or just drop in the xeon?

I do some light gaming (Batman titles, hearthstone, typical steam games). I have a evga x58 3x sli board. I believe this mobo would support the cpu? Would I be correct?

I've had this machine for almost 5 years(bought it when socket 1366 was still new). Need this to last another couple years I'm thinking.

Got a nice video card gigabyte 290x. Am I bottlenecking it?

Any advice is really appreciated!

I run a hex on my x58 setup and don't even think of needing an upgrade. Should be good for another year or two I'd say. I run an i7-970 but I think you can get hex Xeon CPU's for a decent rate these day.

I'd say you aren't bottlenecking the 290x at all. Using a EVGA 970 on my system and love it.

A 4ghz-4.2ghz is fairly easy overclock on the xeons. The advantage is 6 cores and 12 threads.
Also they are 32nm and run cooler than the 920 CPUs
They also have more cache on the xeon chip, that may help some depending what you're doing.

X5650 are running in the 60$ range and x5660 are in the 75$ range x5670 around 100$ Last I looked.

i just heard that my mobo which is a asus p6t delux will trottle back and reset the multiplier of the xeon cpu all the time?

is this true?

if so, any fixes?

I have the P6T Deluxe v2 and doing primegrid in BOINC 6 core 100% load, I have seen it throttle back to 22.
With WCG in BOINC at 100% load it stays at 23 (x5660) so I guess if it is enough load yeah it may throttle.
I have heard of flashing the bios to the P6T WS board will fix that. To me it is a non issue, and cross flashing bios did not go so well for me years ago flashing a Radion 800 to 850 GPU
You can Google it and see what you are willing to do.

I run 23 x 175 for a 24/7 folding/crunching some game time with either GTX 970 or 660Ti SLi
I have 3 x58 with x5660 at 23 x 175. I need them stable as can be and want them to last a long time. 1: EVGA FTW3, 2:an Asus Rampage3 Gene, 3: and the P6T D V2
I use them for TV recording and network TV to different rooms. Multi-room DVR so to speak, plus the BOINC 24/7

Last edited:
I have the P6T Deluxe v2 and doing primegrid in BOINC 6 core 100% load, I have seen it throttle back to 22.
With WCG in BOINC at 100% load it stays at 23 (x5660) so I guess if it is enough load yeah it may throttle.
I have heard of flashing the bios to the P6T WS board will fix that. To me it is a non issue, and cross flashing bios did not go so well for me years ago flashing a Radion 800 to 850 GPU
You can Google it and see what you are willing to do.

I run 23 x 175 for a 24/7 folding/crunching some game time with either GTX 970 or 660Ti SLi
I have 3 x58 with x5660 at 23 x 175. I need them stable as can be and want them to last a long time. 1: EVGA FTW3, 2:an Asus Rampage3 Gene, 3: and the P6T D V2
I use them for TV recording and network TV to different rooms. Multi-room DVR so to speak, plus the BOINC 24/7

nice! what is teh clock speed u have set?

Sorry but this thread is way to big to read. But I'm reading multiple threads on this. I currently have a i7 930 (D0 stepping). Will a xeon hexacore benefit me? I do not OC because I've never done it before so the 930 is at stock speed. Should I OC my current CPU or just drop in the xeon?

I do some light gaming (Batman titles, hearthstone, typical steam games). I have a evga x58 3x sli board. I believe this mobo would support the cpu? Would I be correct?

I've had this machine for almost 5 years(bought it when socket 1366 was still new). Need this to last another couple years I'm thinking.

Got a nice video card gigabyte 290x. Am I bottlenecking it?

Any advice is really appreciated!

So based on my own quote above. Will one of these xeons really benefit me? Computer is in my sig as well.

Back