1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Didn't some of the early asus X58 motherboards come with a blower fan you clipped on to the VRM copper heatsink fins?

x58 runs hot, and I have 4x120mm fans (Caselabs SMH10) throwing air at the motherboard, but I remember when I had my Lian Li V2000B there wasn't nearly enough airflow for passive cooling on my Asus RE3.

EDIT: Link to fan

you are correct as mine came with one as well......never installed mine but im sure its in my parts bin. Strange mine never needed it but my case has a 120 mm fan sucking air right next to it, i may try installing it to see i t effects it at all.. So far doing a cmos reset fixes any issues i have run into. current hurt to try right? My bios gets glitched from time to time ( wired huh) and just doing the long cmos reset with the jumper and removing the battery and holding the power button to drain any caps works wonders on mine.

Think it was a power loss that initially glitched my bios on mine....but shes running perfect now after redoing all the settings all has been good and stable. Your fan idea might be on the right tract since any time i do 4.4.-4.6 benches which do pass i have to to the hold cmos reset since eventually things start acting weird again.( all well never crashing either)

keep us updated on your results....if it works for you then i install mine as well:D

Last edited:
Testing out some new settings, looking pretty good so far:

C1E halt states etc enabled
Dropped out half of my ram, now running 3 x 8GB

180 x Auto (4.3Ghz, 4.5Ghz turbo)
Ram @ 1440Mhz

Core 1.35
PLL 1.325
QPI 1.25
Ram 1.51

Temp drop from enabling C states was around 10C at idle but the most remarkable difference is that these settings are a good 10-15C lower under load than my previous overclock at 200 x 22, I was able to drop my core by .025v and the QPI by .1

Testing with IBT at the moment to see if it's stable, if it is I'm going to try bump the bclk a little to see if the same settings can pull 4.6Ghz turbo.

Last edited:
Testing out some new settings, looking pretty good so far:

C1E halt states etc enabled
Dropped out half of my ram, now running 3 x 8GB

180 x Auto (4.3Ghz, 4.5Ghz turbo)
Ram @ 1440Mhz

Core 1.35
PLL 1.325
QPI 1.25
Ram 1.51

Temp drop from enabling C states was around 10C at idle but the most remarkable difference is that these settings are a good 10-15C lower under load than my previous overclock at 200 x 22, I was able to drop my core by .025v and the QPI by .1

Testing with IBT at the moment to see if it's stable, if it is I'm going to try bump the bclk a little to see if the same settings can pull 4.6Ghz turbo.

i always wondered if 3 sticks would do do much better than 6 sticks and 24 gb at that:D....Very impressive work:D

people say our old xeon's are obsolete but they still hold there own on some bench marks and this is at 100 % stable settings...no bullshit benchmark settings that aren't stable

Capture_zps2bcc9320.png
[/URL][/IMG]

lol i had my pc run kombuster and prime all night at 100% each to keep my room warm......i would say thats more than stable

Nice too see so many new guys in the club.
True to word I haven't touched my BIOS in many weeks now. Just in a set it and forget it mode.
I do think I'll make a token attempt to see how close I can get to 5Ghz when it gets a little colder outside. Throw that window open and see what happens. I also see on ebay the xeon's have dropped about 10% in price from the late summer.
Like prime said for a 5+ year old cpu nice to now this is enough horsepower for the new AC game ;)

Hello guys, I have a question. Currently I'm on the P6T WS PRO BIOS cross-flashed on my P6T Deluxe mainly due to the fact that my MB does not really like high BLCK (190MHz+). My CPU runs at 175x24 = 4200MHz, UCLK is at 3200MHz (1.262v VTT) and RAM runs at 1400MHz. The question is, is it safe to bump the RAM frequency one step to 1750MHz and leave UCLK at 3200MHz? My RAM can handle that frequency, however, I've read you must keep your UCLK speed at least two times the RAM speed, which is 3500MHz on UCLK and that's the threshold my Xeon gets significantly hungrier for VTT volgate, so I'm kind of reluctant to go this way.

Last edited:
Hello guys, I have a question. Currently I'm on the P6T WS PRO BIOS cross-flashed on my P6T Deluxe mainly due to the fact that my MB does not really like high BLCK (190MHz+). My CPU runs at 175x24 = 4200MHz, UCLK is at 3200MHz (1.262v VTT) and RAM runs at 1400MHz. The question is, is it safe to bump the RAM frequency one step to 1750MHz and leave UCLK at 3200MHz? My RAM can handle that frequency, however, I've read you must keep your UCLK speed at least two times the RAM speed, which is 3500MHz on UCLK and that's the threshold my Xeon gets significantly hungrier for VTT volgate, so I'm kind of reluctant to go this way.

Don't bother. By doing so you are not just overclocking the ram, you are also overclocking the memory controller on the CPU which means you will need extra volts on the QPI and bumping it up that high will draw a lot of extra current which means a lot more heat.

The difference in performance is meaningless in all but memory benchmarks and a very niche selection of applications that you probably don't use.

i can give you the perfected bios setting or 4200 is you want pm me for details....100%stable and problem free.......i have tried the pro bios and i feel official 2209 works best....trust me i have learned from zoson and deimos.........it took a while buy i got there

:nice little machine off craigslist

i7-920
9gb ddr3
gtx 260
asus rampage gene II (oem board, ive never seen one before, they said it was out of an asus essentio desktop)
1tb hd
case 500w psu

for 200 bucks!!!!

:D:p:D

now I need to find a good hex core xeon :)
I also have a corsair h50 to dig out and see what this 920 can do

My Rampage II Gene is running my X5650 like a dream. 200x20 with HT on. Good enough for me. I have no doubt it would do 4.2 but this runs so good I am not gonna mess with it. 12GB RAM, so 6x2GB (a mix of Corsair and OCZ) running 1600 7-7-7-21 Cas1. :D

On the chipset getting hot... mine was running at 70C with the FSB @ 200 so I grabbed a SpotCool I had laying around and pointed it at the chipset and now it never gets over 50C.

Nice, I actually have one of those spot cools!

im looking at some of the xeon chips available now, doesn't look like I will be spending much, maybe I can sell the ol 2500k setup and make some cash lol

Anyone knows if the Rampage III Formula mobo is compatible with Xeon? I am finding conflicting info :/

Anyone knows if the Rampage III Formula mobo is compatible with Xeon? I am finding conflicting info :/

With the newest bios it should. My girlfriends Rampage III Gene has a X5650 @ 4.4ghz and it runs flawlessly.

I tried to tell her she can get a new haswell and keep the heat down, but she likes her 6cores with 12 threads showing.

Women

Hello guys.
I am confused about my x5650. I have seen some people with rampage iii mobos showing a multi 23 in cpuz instead of 22. What's up with that?

Hello guys.
I am confused about my x5650. I have seen some people with rampage iii mobos showing a multi 23 in cpuz instead of 22. What's up with that?
That is the turbo multi and only works on "up to" two cores for the x5650. At least on my R3E.

The x5650 only has 12-20, no 21, turbo 22 for 6 cores, and turbo 23 for up to 2 cores.

That is my understanding and is what confuses me because they are posting those while running multi threaded benchies and while showing 6 cores in cpu z so it completely confuses me.

That is my understanding and is what confuses me because they are posting those while running multi threaded benchies and while showing 6 cores in cpu z so it completely confuses me.

Yeah, it seems some boards are different or some apps not telling the truth. But I am pretty sure per Intel it is how I listed it. 23 is only with Turbo enabled and only works on two cores. I never could get it to work on two cores, only one. And that was VERY VERY RARE. lol

Yes and no. I explained this previously.
There is only a single clock domain for all cores.
So, while the CPU will only go up to that speed when 2 core loads are active... All of your cores actually go up to that speed.

Also, everything on OCN should be taken with a grain of salt as they do not generally believe in full stability.

Yes and no. I explained this previously.
There is only a single clock domain for all cores.
So, while the CPU will only go up to that speed when 2 core loads are active... All of your cores actually go up to that speed.

Also, everything on OCN should be taken with a grain of salt as they do not generally believe in full stability.

And I just agree with everything Zoson says, lol... I just do not normally remember everything that is said.

Im excited. I have a 5660 coming. I hope I can get some decent numbers with my H60

im thinking on going into the xeon club :).

im curious about the difference between de X5670 vs W3670 in terms of oc, which one will oc better?

im thinking on going into the xeon club :).

im curious about the difference between de X5670 vs W3670 in terms of oc, which one will oc better?

the W3670 should clock slightly higher but cost over twice as much. If you could manage to get it for the same price then go for it...but no way in hell i would pay 3 times the price for a slightly higher overclcock.
W3670 going for 300 min on ebay
X5670 going for 109 min on ebay

so same price snatch it up quick....3 times the price, hell no!!!!!:eek:

Anyone running an Intel DX58SO board with a Xeon x5660 ?

Thats the board I have and I cant get past a 155x21 and Windows 7 pro is only showing 4 cores instead of 6 ????

Why would I not see all 6 cores?

Last edited:
I very much apologize for my behavior/what I have said etc....Just really aggravated with this system I believe this chip the Xeon w3520 I have is shit/dead/dieing etc....bastard I noticed in the short time i have had it needed more and more voltage to be stable with high OC etc...and just odd/weird performance etc laggy/glitchy like randomly.... it is a rather late batch 39xx A chip etc, and while it never was a great undervolter at all even first got it....it did run rather really cool/temp wise though....

Now this slightly older actual 920 chip 39xx batch as well....omg should of messed with this one a bit more....its damn near a borderline golden chip I assumed it was ill/crap and never really messed with it much....sitting at 4GHZ right now at 1.25-1.28v wow......I could probably go even lower....I shit you not... finally got a good seat on the chip/w heatsink etc best temps I'm getting yet, Idling in mid 30c wow rofl, did the BB/pea method of paste application this time vs the line in the middle application AS5 etc

Last edited:
just doing stress/load testing....this is insane man max like 70-75c even after like awhile.....anyone that knows about these.. that's damn good rofl....usually its more like instant 80c+ etc real quick etc rofl, HT on and everything too like omg man

4ghz_bench.gif

Sucker is badass! rofl, got a little warm on the multithread pass though as you can see rofl

really does make my Xeon W3520 look like straight crap it wants 1.4v+ to be stable.... so semi-golden late batch 920/chip rofl

Last edited:
Anyone running an Intel DX58SO board with a Xeon x5660 ?

Thats the board I have and I cant get past a 155x21 and Windows 7 pro is only showing 4 cores instead of 6 ????

Why would I not see all 6 cores?

Could be a bios issue. Not sure because you are the first I have ever seen trying to put a Xeon into an DX58SO.

Yea i read this whole thread and did not see anyone else.

Could that may be the reason I cant past a 155mhz bus speed??

Yea i read this whole thread and did not see anyone else.

Could that may be the reason I cant past a 155mhz bus speed??

totally possible. I remember [H]ardocp doing a review of an Intel X58 motherboard....lets just say that was the last intel motherboard they ever did.

It was that bad.

While the DX58SO was the last intel board [H] reviewed, it had nothing to do with the fact that it was bad and everything to do with the fact that Intel stopped making motherboards for the consumer market.

CPU Microcode for each new processor needs to be added to BIOS. So if your DX58SO doesn't have a bios that supports the newer Xeons, you won't be able to run them correctly.

I guess this inexpensive upgrade to my X58 system is getting expensive....

I guess I better start looking for a new board on Ebay

What do you guys think of Evga Extreme X58 board or Gigabyte X58A-UD3R?

There are some on eBay for relatively cheap

Did you update the bios on the board or what? For 14.3 years I'd kind of expect a lot better detail than you're giving us.

No way man the Gigabyte UD5 board and like the EVGA classified etc...had opportunity to pick up a UD5 for a killer deal but passed...kick myself for it.....killer Ocing boards man.

Did you update the bios on the board or what? For 14.3 years I'd kind of expect a lot better detail than you're giving us.

Sorry I guess I assumed that would be a given. But yes the bios was updated to the lastest bios when the latest bios came out.

To be honest I'm a little disappointed this board is not as good as the others.

4ghz_bench.gif

Sucker is badass! rofl, got a little warm on the multithread pass though as you can see rofl

really does make my Xeon W3520 look like straight crap it wants 1.4v+ to be stable.... so semi-golden late batch 920/chip rofl

Capture_zpsa7af961a.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Back